Bradley M. Broom, Ph.D.
Department of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Division of VP, Research
About Dr. Broom
Bradley M. Broom, Ph.D., is a Professor in the Department of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology at MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Dr. Broom is a computer scientist, receiving his Ph.D. from the University of Queensland (Australia) in 1988.
Access additional information regarding Dr. Broom's research and professional activities.
Present Title & Affiliation
Professor, Department of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Division of Quantitative Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
Education & Training
|1988||The University of Queensland, Queensland, AUS, PHD, Computer Science|
|1983||The University of Queensland, Queensland, AUS, BS, First Class Honors in Computer Science|
|1982||The University of Queensland, Queensland, AUS, BS, Computer Science|
Experience & Service
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Statistics, Texas A&M, College Station, TX, 2007 - 2012
Associate Professor, Department of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Division of Quantitative Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2004 - 2011
Research Scientist, Department of Computer Science, Rice University, Houston, TX, 1999 - 2004
Associate Professor, Department of Data Communications, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, 1994 - 1999
Research Fellow/Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, Australian National University, Canberra, 1990 - 1993
Research Officer/Senior Research Officer, Department of Computer Science, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, 1988 - 1989
Honors & Awards
|2008||Sharon K. Martin Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2001||Joint best paper in the cluster computing category, 2001 IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid|
|1984||Commonwealth Postgraduate Research Award|
- Broom BM, Rinsurongkawong W, Pusztai L, Do KA. Building networks with microarray data. Methods Mol Biol 620:315-43, 2010. PMID: 20652510.
- Koch M, Broom BM, Subramanian D. Learning robust cell signalling models from high throughput proteomic data. Int J Bioinform Res Appl 5(3):241-253, 2009. PMID: 19525198.
- Sanga S, Broom BM, Cristini V, Edgerton ME. Gene expression meta-analysis supports existence of molecular apocrine breast cancer with a role for androgen receptor and implies interactions with ErbB family. BMC Med Genomics 2(1):59, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19747394.
- Deus HF, Stanislaus R, Veiga DF, Behrens C, Wistuba II, Minna JD, Garner HR, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Correa AM, Broom B, Coombes K, Chang A, Vogel LH, Almeida JS. A Semantic Web management model for integrative biomedical informatics. PLoS One 3(8):e2946, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18698353.
- Deus HF, Stanislaus R, Behrens C, Wistuba II, Minna JD, Garner HR, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Correa AM, Broom B, Coombes K, Almeida JS. Data Driven Semantic Integration of Translational Lung Cancer Research at MDAnderson Cancer Center. AMIA Annu Symp Proc:927, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18999102.
- Broom BM, McDonnell TJ, Subramanian D. Predicting altered pathways using extendable scaffolds. Int J Bioinform Res Appl 2(1):3-18, 2006. PMID: 18048150.
- Kennedy K, Broom B, Chauhan A, Fowler R, Garvin J, Koelbel C, McCosh C, Mellor-Crummey J. Telescoping Languages: A System for Automatic Generation of Domain Languages. Proceedings of the IEEE 93:387-408, 2005.
- Kennedy K, Broom B, Cooper K, Dongarra J, Fowler R, Gannon D, Johnson L, Mellor-Crummey J, Torczan L.. Telescoping languages: A strategy for automatic generation of scientific, problem-solving systems from annotated libraries. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing 61:1803-26, 2003.
- Broom B, Fowler R, Kennedy K.. A telescope-ready domain-specific I/O library for irregular block-structured applications. Future Generation Computer Systems 18:449-60, 2002.
- Mellor-Crummey J, Adve V, Broom B, Chavarria-Miranda D, Fowler R, Jin G, Kennedy K, Yi Q.. Advanced optimization strategies in the Rice dHPF compiler. Currency and Computation: Practice and Experience 14:741-67, 2002.
- Do K, Broom B, Wang X. Importance bootstrap resampling for proportional hazards regression. Communications in Statistics–Theory and Methods 30:2173-88, 2001.
- Do K, Broom B, Kuhnert P, Duffy D, Todorov A, Treloar S, Martin N.. Genetic analysis of the age at menopause by using estimating equations and Bayesian random effects models. Stat Med 19:1217-35, 2000. PMID: 10797518.
- Ashley P, Broom B, Vaudenwauver M. An implementation of a secure version of NFS including REBAC. Australian Computer Journal, 1999.
- Wood A, Do K-A, Broom B. Sequential linearization of empirical likelihood constraints with application to U-statistics. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 5:365-385, 1996.
- Vickers T, Broom B. On teaching a Unix window interface in first year. Australian Computer Science Communications, 1993.
- Broom B. A synchronous file server for distributed file systems. Australian Computer Science Communications B:501-12, 1993.
- Welsh J, Broom B, Kiong D. A design rationale for a language-based editor. Software–Practice & Experience 21:923-948, 1991.
- Broom B, Welsh J. Another approach to literate programming. Australian Computer Science Communications:257-68, 1988.
- Broom B. A distributed syntax-directed editor. Australian Computer Science Communications:116-25, 1987.
- Broom B, Welsh J. Detail compression techniques for interactive program display. Australian Computer Science Communications:83-93, 1986.
- Ashley P, Broom B System administration: Securing networked applications with SESAME. Linux Journal, 1998.
- Ashley P, Broom B A survey of secure multi-domain distributed architectures. Technical Report FIT-TR-97-08, Queensland University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology, Brisbane, Australia, 1997.
- Ashley P, Broom B An implementation of the SESAME security architecture for Linux. AUUG Queensland Technical Conference, Brisbane, Australia, 1997.
- Broom B, Welsh J Display techniques for language-based editors. Technical Report 198, University of Queensland, Department of Computer Science, Brisbane, Australia, 1991.
- Broom B User mode per-process name spaces for the AP1000 file system. Technical Report TR-CS-93-08. Australian National University, Department of Computer Science, Brisbane, Australia, 1991.
- Broom B Aspects of Interactive Program Display, Ph.D. thesis. University of Queensland, Department of Computer Science, 1987.
- Ahmed A A, Le X, Liao W, Grandjean G, Bartholomeusz G, Broom B, Lu Z, Bast Jr. RC. Kinase regulated microtubule stabilization correlates with ovarian cancer paclitaxel response in a target specific siRNA kinome screen. Minisymposium Mechanisms of Drug Targeting Cell Cycle Controls, 2009 AACR Meeting, Denver CO(3869), 2009.
- Koch, M, Broom, B, Subramanian, D. A Search-Based Approach for Bayesian Inference of the T-cell Signaling Network. Biotechnology and Bioinformatics Symposium 2007, Colorado Springs, CO, 2007.
- Jeong J, Vannucci M, Do K-A, Broom BM, Kim S, Sha N, Tadesse M, Yan K, Pusztai L. Gene selection for the identification of biomarkers in high-throughput data. In: Bayesian Modeling in Bioinformatics. Chapman & Hall, 2010.
- Broom BM, Do K-A. Statistical methods for biomarker discovery using mass spectrometry. In: Statistical Advances in the Biomedical Sciences: State of the Art and Future Directions. Wiley: New Jersey, 465-86, 2008.
- Broom B, Subramanian D.. Computational Methods for Learning Bayesian Networks from High - Throughout Biological Data. In: Bayesian Inference for Gene Expression and Proteomics. Cambridge University Press, 385-400, 2006.
- Broom, B, Fowler, R, Kennedy, K, Koelbel, C, Paleczny, M. Compiler support for out-of-core arrays on parallel machines. In: Scalable Input/Output. MIT Press, 161-180, 2003.
- Do K-A, Broom B, Wen S. GeneClust. In: The analysis of gene expression data: Methods and software. Springer: New York, 342-61, 2003.