About Dr. Branko Cuglievan
Dr. Cuglievan completed his Pediatric training in Miami Children's Hospital, and he subsequently completed both Pediatric Hematology and Oncology training at MD Anderson, during which he was selected the Chief Fellow. He obtained board certification in Pediatrics and Pediatric Hematology and Oncology and stayed on faculty as Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics.
Dr. Cuglievan focuses on Pediatric Leukemia and Lymphoma and collaborates extensively with the prestigious adult divisions of Leukemia and Lymphoma and is either the principal investigator or the pediatric collaborator for several pivotal trials that cover the Adolescents and Young Adult (AYA) population. Additionally, he leads the Pediatric Leukemia and Lymphoma service at Memorial Hermann Children's Hospital.
His translational research work is done in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University and has been focused on the implementation of biomedical engineering devices to accelerate drug discovery for pediatric cancer. He has received several awards, including the Young Investigator Hyundai Hope on wheels, Tridelta Foundation award, and the Men of Distinction Foundation award. Dr. Cuglievan has authored/co-authored several publications and book chapters and serves as MD Anderson's Faculty Ambassador for MLS' Houston Dynamo.
Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics Patient Care, Division of Pediatrics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Section Chief, Leukemia/Lymphoma, Department of Pediatrics Patient Care, Division of Pediatrics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Biomedical Engineering to accelerate drug discovery in Childhood Cancer
|2010||Universidad de San Martin de Porres, Facultad de Medicina Humana, Lima, PER, MD, Medicine|
|2009||Harvard Medical School, Boston Children's Hospital, Boston, ME, USA, Pediatrics, Pediatrics|
|2001||Markham College, Lima, PER, Bilingual Diploma, International Baccalaureate|
|2015-2018||Clinical Fellowship, Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2013-2015||Clinical Residency, Pediatrics, Miami Children's Hospital, Miami, FL|
|2012-2013||Clinical Internship, Pediatrics, Miami Children's Hospital, Miami, FL|
|2019||The American Board of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology|
|2015||The American Board of Pediatrics|
Triage Scheduler (Faculty/App/Fellows), Department of Pediatrics Patient Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2017 - 2018
On-Call Scheduler (Pedi Hema/Onc), Department of Pediatrics Patient Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2017 - 2018
Morbidity & Mortality Conference Scheduler, Department of Pediatrics Patient Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2017 - 2018
Member, Infectious Disease Committee, Miami Children's Hospital, Miami, FL, 2015 - 2015
Representative of Class 2015, Miami Children's Hospital, Miami, FL, 2012 - 2015
Physician, Clinica Anglo Americana, Lima, 2010 - 2012
Member, Academic Commission, Universidad San Martin de Porres, Lima, 2006 - 2006
Member, Student Council, Universidad San Martin de Porres, Lima, 2005 - 2005
Institutional Committee Activities
Chair, Pediatrics Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Program Evaluation Committee, 2019 - Present
Committee Representative for Pediatrics, Clinical Learning Environment Review (CLER), 2018 - Present
Member, Pediatric Division Travel Policy Committee, 2018 - Present
Member, Pediatrics Clinical Practice Committee, 2017 - Present
Member, Ewing's Sarcoma and Osteosarcoma Working Group, 2017 - Present
Member, Pediatric Leukemia/Lymphoma Working Group, 2017 - Present
Member, Pediatric Education Working Group, 2017 - Present
|2018||Chief Fellow, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2018||Young Investigator Award, Hyundai Hope on Wheels|
|2018||Nominee for the Resident/Fellow Excellence Award for Professionalism, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2018||Elected representative for the Clinical Learning Environment Review (CLER) committee for Pediatrics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2015||1st Place Award - 7th Annual Scholarship Day, Miami Children's Hospital|
|2015||The Ramon Rodriguez Award for Preventative Pediatric Medicine, Miami Children's Hospital|
|2015||The Augustin Castellanos Resident Resident of the Year Award, Miami Children's Hospital|
|2015||"Speed Data-ing” Fellowship Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||1st Place Award - 6th Annual Scholarship Day, Miami Children's Hospital|
|2014||Award for Excellence in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Miami Children's Hospital|
|2013||1st Place Award - 5th Annual Scholarship Day, Miami Children's Hospital|
|2012||Resident of the Month, Miami Children's Hospital|
|2003||Ranked #1 Medical School Admission Exam - Int'l Baccalaureate Category, Universidad San Martin de Porres|
|2002||President, Markham College|
|2001||Perfect Leadership Award, Markham College|
- McCall D, Tewari P, Kass JDA, Cuglievan B. The Evolution of the Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Fellowship: What Does it Mean to be Productive?. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 42(6):e544-e545, 2020. PMID: 32032246.
- Molina ER, Chim LK, Salazar MC, Mehta SM, Menegaz BA, Lamhamedi-Cherradi SE, Satish T, Mohiuddin S, McCall D, Zaske AM, Cuglievan B, Lazar AJ, Scott DW, Grande-Allen JK, Ludwig JA, Mikos AG. Mechanically tunable coaxial electrospun models of YAP/TAZ mechanoresponse and IGF-1R activation in osteosarcoma. Acta Biomater 100:38-51, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31542501.
- Puerto-Camacho P, Amaral AT, Lamhamedi-Cherradi SE, Menegaz BA, Castillo-Ecija H, Ordóñez JL, Domínguez S, Jordan-Perez C, Diaz-Martin J, Romero-Pérez L, Lopez-Alvarez M, Civantos-Jubera G, Robles-Frías MJ, Biscuola M, Ferrer C, Mora J, Cuglievan B, Schadler K, Seifert O, Kontermann R, Pfizenmaier K, Simón L, Fabre M, Carcaboso ÁM, Ludwig JA, de Álava E. Preclinical efficacy of endoglin-targeting antibody-drug conjugates for the treatment of Ewing sarcoma. Clin Cancer Res 25(7):2228-2240, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30420447.
- Menegaz BA, Cuglievan B, Benson J, Camacho P, Lamhamedi-Cherradi SE, Leung CH, Warneke CL, Huh W, Subbiah V, Benjamin RS, Patel S, Daw N, Hayes-Jordan A, Ludwig JA. Clinical Activity of Pazopanib in Patients with Advanced Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumor. Oncologist 23(3):360-366, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29212731.
- Zapata CP, Cuglievan B, Zapata CM, Olavarrieta R, Raskin S, Desai K, De Angulo G. PET/CT versus bone marrow biopsy in the initial evaluation of bone marrow infiltration in various pediatric malignancies. Pediatr Blood Cancer 65(2), 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28901637.
- Lahiri S, Cuglievan B, Gutierrez JL, Pefkarou A. Successful conservative treatment of myocardial infarction in a teenager with MTHFR mutation. Int J Cardiol Heart Vasc 15:24-25, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28616569.
- Cuglievan B, Miranda RN. Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease. Blood 129(7):917, 2017. PMID: 28209753.
- Cuglievan, B, Rytting, M. Castleman’s disease in a patient with Glycogen Storage Disease type 1a, 2016.
- Zapata, C, Olavarrieta, R Raskin S, Zapata CA, Cuglievan, B, Desai, K, De Angulo, G. The role of PET/CT vs. Bone marrow biopsy in the initial evaluation of bone marrow infiltration in pediatric Non Hodgkin lymphoma, 2015.
- Zapata, C, Olavarrieta, R Raskin S, Zapata CA, Cuglievan, B, Desai, K, De Angulo, G. The role of PET/CT vs. Bone marrow biopsy in the initial evaluation of bone marrow infiltration in pediatric Non Hodgkin lymphoma. Fifth international Symposium on childhood, adolescent and young adult Non Hodgkin Lymphoma, 2015.
- Zhang B, Cuglievan B, Vanni S, Komotar RJ, Graham RM. Targeting glioblastoma stem cells with withaferin A, 2014.
- Cuglievan B, Hernandez F, De Angulo G, Vanni S, Graham R. The role of NAMPT-NAD-Sirtuin pathway in neuroblastoma chemoresistance, 2014.
- Cuglievan B, Galvez,J., De Angulo, G.. Epstein Barr Infection obscuring Pediatric chronic eosinophilic leukemia associated t(1;5) with excellent response to targeted therapy, 2013.
- Morrison A., Cuglievan B, Khatib, Z.. Intracranial calcifications calcifications in pediatric brain tumor patients after receiving proton beam therapy, 2013.
Letters to the Editor
- Cuglievan B, DePombo A, De Angulo G. Aplastic anemia: the correct nomenclature matters. Haematologica/haematol 101, 2016.