About Dr. Badgwell
Dr. Badgwell is a graduate of Texas A&M University and also received his M.D. degree from Scott & White Hospital/Texas A&M. He subsequently completed a General Surgery Residency at The Ohio State University Medical Center, and received additional postgraduate training as a research fellow while at Ohio State through The Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Research Institute. Dr. Badgwell is a graduate of our University of Texas, MD Anderson Surgical Oncology Fellowship Program. While a fellow in surgical oncology, Dr. Badgwell simultaneously earned a Master’s degree in Epidemiology from the University of Texas School Of Public Health.
Dr. Badgwell has a cancer-directed practice in gastric and gastroesophageal cancer at MD Anderson that incorporates recent progress in advanced laparoscopic surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the treatment of patients with gastric cancer. He has worked tirelessly to improve outcomes for the most common site of metastatic disease and site of recurrence in gastric cancer – the peritoneum – through clinical trials of hyperthermic intraperitoneal perfusion with chemotherapy (HIPEC). Dr. Badgwell performed the first laparoscopic HIPEC at MD Anderson and now serves as a national and international referral source for the surgical treatment of gastric cancer metastatic to the peritoneum. His multidisciplinary group is aggressively investigating many aspects of intraperitoneal chemotherapy, and Dr. Badgwell has performed over 100 HIPEC procedures for gastric cancer, which is the largest single surgeon experience for this disease in the United States. He was the principal investigator for the first three completed trials of HIPEC for gastric cancer in the United States, and performed all surgeries for the patients on these trials. Dr. Badgwell is continuously exploring new options of intraperitoneal therapy, which has kept MD Anderson at the forefront of surgical options for patients with metastases to the peritoneum
It is also remarkable to find a surgical oncologist dedicated to the important clinical problem of palliative care for patients with advanced malignancy requiring surgical evaluation for problems related to their cancer. Dr. Badgwell has established a palliative surgery research program at MD Anderson and, with funding through the American Cancer Society, has developed the first validated symptom assessment questionnaire for patients with malignant bowel obstruction. As a recognized expert in surgery to improve the quality of life for patients with advanced cancer, Dr. Badgwell takes a leadership role in the teaching and mentoring of trainees. As a Professor of Surgery at MD Anderson, Dr. Badgwell has published over 100 peer-reviewed manuscripts and also leads the gastric cancer surgical research program at MD Anderson. He is consistently recognized for his excellent clinical care and high patient satisfaction scores.
Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2008||The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA, MS, Epidemiology, Minor: Biostatistics|
|1999||Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|1995||Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA, BS, Biomedical Science|
|2005-2008||Clinical Fellowship, Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2001-2002||Research Fellowship, Surgical Oncology, The Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Research Institute, Columbus, OH|
|2000-2005||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH|
|2006||American Board of Surgery, Texas|
- Stark AP, Ikoma N, Chiang YJ, Estrella JS, Das P, Minsky BD, Blum MM, Ajani JA, Mansfield P, Badgwell BD . Characteristics and Survival of Gastric Cancer Patients with Pathologic Complete Response to Preoperative Therapy. Ann Surg Oncol 26(11):3602-3610, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31350645.
- Newhook TE, Agnes A, Blum M, Estrella JS, Das P, Ho L, Ajani JA, Minsky BD, Mansfield P, Badgwell BD. Laparoscopic Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy is Safe for Patients with Peritoneal Metastases from Gastric Cancer and May Lead to Gastrectomy. Ann Surg Oncol 26(5):1394-1400, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30680477.
- Ikoma N, Das P, Hofstetter W, Ajani JA, Estrella JS, Chen HC, Wang X, Callender RA, Zhu C, Roland CL, Fournier KF, Cormier JN, Mansfield P, Badgwell BD. Preoperative chemoradiation therapy induces primary-tumor complete response more frequently than chemotherapy alone in gastric cancer: analyses of the National Cancer Database 2006-2014 using propensity score matching. Gastric Cancer 21(6):1004-1013, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29730720.
- Vicente D, Ikoma N, Chiang YJ, Fournier K, Tzeng CD, Song S, Mansfield P, Ajani J, Badgwell BD. Preoperative Therapy for Gastric Adenocarcinoma is Protective for Poor Oncologic Outcomes in Patients with Complications After Gastrectomy. Ann Surg Oncol 25(9):2720-2730, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29987602.
- Ikoma N, Estrella JS, Blum M, Das P, Chen HC, Wang X, Fournier K, Mansfield P, Ajani J, Badgwell BD. Central Lymph Node Metastasis in Gastric Cancer Is Predictive of Survival After Preoperative Therapy. J Gastrointest Surg 22(8):1325-1333, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29679346.
- Thiels CA, Ikoma N, Fournier K, Das P, Blum M, Estrella JS, Minsky BD, Ajani J, Mansfield P, Badgwell BD. Repeat staging laparoscopy for gastric cancer after preoperative therapy. J Surg Oncol 118(1):61-67, 2018. PMID: 29878364.
- Ikoma N, Cormier JN, Feig B, Du XL, Yamal JM, Hofstetter W, Das P, Ajani JA, Roland CL, Fournier K, Royal R, Mansfield P, Badgwell BD. Racial disparities in preoperative chemotherapy use in gastric cancer patients in the United States: Analysis of the National Cancer Data Base, 2006-2014. Cancer 1(24/5):998-1007, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29393964.
- Ikoma N, Blum M, Estrella JS, Das P, Hofstetter WL, Fournier KF, Mansfield P, Ajani JA, Badgwell BD. Evaluation of the American Joint Committee on Cancer 8th edition staging system for gastric cancer patients after preoperative therapy. Gastric Cancer 21(1):74-83, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28643144.
- Badgwell B, Blum M, Das P, Estrella J, Wang X, Fournier K, Royal R, Mansfield P, Ajani J. Lessons learned from a phase II clinical trial of laparoscopic HIPEC for gastric cancer. Surg Endosc 32(1):512, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28643069.
- Badgwell B, Blum M, Das P, Estrella J, Wang X, Ho L, Fournier K, Royal R, Mansfield P, Ajani J. Phase II Trial of Laparoscopic Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemoperfusion for Peritoneal Carcinomatosis or Positive Peritoneal Cytology in Patients with Gastric Adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol 24(11):3338-3344, 2017. PMID: 28799004.
- Ikoma N, Chen HC, Wang X, Blum M, Estrella JS, Fournier K, Mansfield P, Ajani J, Badgwell BD. Patterns of Initial Recurrence in Gastric Adenocarcinoma in the Era of Preoperative Therapy. Ann Surg Oncol 24(09):2679-2687, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28332034.
- Pujara D, Chiang YJ, Cormier JN, Bruera E, Badgwell B. Selective Approach for Patients with Advanced Malignancy and Gastrointestinal Obstruction. J Am Coll Surg 225(1):53-59, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28483604.
- Ikoma N, Blum M, Chiang YJ, Estrella JS, Roy-Chowdhuri S, Fournier K, Mansfield P, Ajani JA, Badgwell BD. Yield of Staging Laparoscopy and Lavage Cytology for Radiologically Occult Peritoneal Carcinomatosis of Gastric Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 23(13):4332-4337, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27384751.
- Badgwell B, Blum M, Elimova E, Estrella J, Chiang YJ, Das P, Mansfield P, Ajani J.. Frequency of Resection After Preoperative Chemotherapy or Chemoradiotherapy for Gastric Adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol 23(6):1948-1955, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26868957.
- Kneuertz PJ, Hofstetter WL, Chiang YJ, Das P, Blum M, Elimova E, Mansfield P, Ajani J, Badgwell B. Long-Term Survival in Patients with Gastroesophageal Junction Cancer Treated with Preoperative Therapy: Do Thoracic and Abdominal Approaches Differ?. Ann Surg Oncol 23(2):626-32, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26564243.
- Badgwell B, Ajani J, Blum M, Ho L, Fournier K, Chiang YJ, Matamoros A, Das P, Mansfield P. Postoperative Morbidity and Mortality Rates are Not Increased for Patients with Gastric and Gastroesophageal Cancer Who Undergo Preoperative Chemoradiation Therapy. Ann Surg Oncol 23(1):156-61, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26059652.
- Pujara D, Mansfield P, Ajani J, Blum M, Elimova E, Chiang YJ, Das P, Badgwell B. Comprehensive geriatric assessment in patients with gastric and gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma undergoing gastrectomy. J. Surg Onc 112(8):883-7, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26482869.
- Badgwell B, Blum M, Estrella J, Chiang YJ, Das P, Matamoros A, Fournier K, Mansfield P, Ajani J. Predictors of Survival in Patients with Resectable Gastric Cancer Treated with Preoperative Chemoradiation Therapy and Gastrectomy. J Am Coll Surg 221(1):83-90, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26002780.
- Badgwell B, Roy-Chowdhuri S, Chiang YJ, Matamoros A, Blum M, Fournier K, Mansfield P, Ajani J.. Long term survival in patients with metastatic gastric and gastroesophageal cancer treated with surgery. Journal of Surgical Oncology 117(7):875-81, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25872485.
- Badgwell B, Krouse R, Klimberg SV, Bruera E. Outcome Measures Other than Morbidity and Mortality for Patients with Incurable Cancer and Gastrointestinal Obstruction. Journal of Palliative Medicine 17(1):18-26, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24341323.
- Badgwell BD, Aloia TA, Garrett J, Chedister G, Miner T, Krouse R. Indicators of symptom improvement and survival in inpatients with advanced cancer undergoing palliative surgical consultation. J Surg Oncol 107(4):367-71, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22886727.
- Badgwell B, Krouse R, Cormier J, Guevara C, Klimberg VS, Ferrell B. Frequent and early death limits quality of life assessment in patients with advanced malignancies evaluated for palliative surgical intervention. Ann Surg Oncol 19(12):3651-8, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22669450.
- Badgwell B, Cormier JN, Krishnan S, Yao J, Staerkel GA, Lupo PJ, Pisters PW, Feig B, Mansfield P. Does neoadjuvant treatment for gastric cancer patients with positive peritoneal cytology at staging laparoscopy improve survival?. Ann Surg Oncol 15(10):2684-91, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18649106.
- Ikoma N, Estrella JS, Hofstetter W, Das P, Minsky BD, Ajani JA, Fournier KF, Mansfield P, Badgwell BD. Nodal Downstaging in Gastric Cancer Patients: Promising Survival if ypN0 is Achieved. Ann Surg Oncol. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29748883.
- Badgwell B, Das P, Ajani J. Treatment of localized gastric and gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma: the role of accurate staging and preoperative therapy. J Hematol Oncol 10(1):149, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28810883.
- B. Badgwell. Multimodality Therapy of Localized Gastric Adenocarcinoma (Review). J Natl Compr Canc Netw 14(10):1321-1327, 2016. PMID: 27697984.