About Dr. Badgwell
Dr. Badgwell is a graduate of Texas A&M, College Station, Texas. He received his M.D. degree from Scott & White Hospital/Texas A&M, and subsequently completed an Internship and General Surgery Residency at The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio. Dr. Badgwell received additional postgraduate training as a research fellow while at Ohio State through The Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Research Institute. Dr. Badgwell is a graduate of our University of Texas, MD Anderson Surgical Oncology Fellowship Program in the Department of Surgical Oncology. While a fellow in surgical oncology, Dr. Badgwell simultaneously earned a Master’s degree in Epidemiology from the University of Texas School of Public Health.
Following his fellowship training, Dr. Badgwell was appointed as Assistant Professor of Surgery at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS), Division of Surgical Oncology, Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute. During his tenure track position as Assistant Professor of Surgery, Dr. Badgwell created a successful and productive surgical research and patient-reported outcomes center at UAMS. In addition, Dr. Badgwell has served as the Surgical Oncology Clinic Medical Director as well as the Chair for the State of Arkansas Commission on Cancer.
Dr. Badgwell has a cancer-directed practice in gastric cancer at MD Anderson that incorporates recent progress in advanced laparoscopic surgery in the treatment of patients with gastric cancer. Since his appointment in 2008, Dr. Badgwell has published a total of 21 peer-reviewed manuscripts, including 14 as first or senior author, and he has several IRB-approved research protocols ongoing. In addition, Dr. Badgwell served as the primary investigator at UAMS on two cancer-related clinical trials and currently has a Phase II Trial at MD Anderson of laparoscopic hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion for metastatic gastric cancer (NCT02092298).
Associate Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2008||The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA, MS, Epidemiology, Minor: Biostatistics|
|1999||Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|1995||Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA, BS, Biomedical Science|
|2005-2008||Clinical Fellowship, Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2001-2002||Research Fellowship, Surgical Oncology, The Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Research Institute, Columbus, OH|
|2000-2005||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH|
|2006||American Board of Surgery, Texas|
- B. Badgwell, E. Bruera, S.V. Klimberg. Can Patient Reported Outcomes Help Identify the Optimal Outcome in Palliative Surgery?. Journal of Surgical Oncology 109(2):145-50, 2014.
- Badgwell B, Krouse R, Klimberg SV, Bruera E. Outcome Measures Other than Morbidity and Mortality for Patients with Incurable Cancer and Gastrointestinal Obstruction. Journal of Palliative Medicine 17(1):18-26, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24341323.
- Owens P, Henry-Tillman R, Badgwell B. Predictors of stage and the application of curative-intent surgery in pancreatic cancer: a population-based analysis from the Arkansas Cancer Registry. The Journal of the Arkansas Medical Society 110(2):43-45, 2013. PMID: 24015448.
- Badgwell B, Stanley J, Chang GJ, Katz MH, Lin HY, Ning J, Klimberg SV, Cormier JN. Comprehensive geriatric assessment of risk factors associated with adverse outcomes and resource utilization in cancer patients undergoing abdominal surgery. Journal of Surgical Oncology 108(3):182-6, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23804149.
- Badgwell BD , Aloia TA, Garrett J, Chedister G, Miner T, Krouse R. Indicators of symptom improvement and survival in inpatients with advanced cancer undergoing palliative surgical consultation. J Surg Oncol 107(4):367-71, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22886727.
- Collins LK, Goodwin JA, Spencer HJ, Guevara C, Ferrell B, McSweeney J, Badgwell BD . Patient reasoning in palliative surgical oncology. J Surg Oncol 107(4):372-5, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22806710.
- Badgwell B , Krouse R, Cormier J, Guevara C, Klimberg VS, Ferrell B. Frequent and early death limits quality of life assessment in patients with advanced malignancies evaluated for palliative surgical intervention. Ann Surg Oncol 19(12):3651-8, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22669450.
- Wilson M, Korourian S, Boneti C, Adkins L, Badgwell B , Lee J, Suzanne Klimberg V. Long-term results of excision followed by radiofrequency ablation as the sole means of local therapy for breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 19(10):3192-8, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22911363.
- Boneti C, Badgwell B, Robertson Y, Korourian S, Adkins L, Klimberg V. Axillary reverse mapping (ARM): initial results of phase II trial in preventing lymphedema after lymphadenectomy. Minerva Ginecol 64(5):421-30, 2012. PMID: 23018481.
- Garrett J, Klimberg VS, Anaissie E, Barlogie B, Turnage R, Badgwell BD . The surgical management of abdominal pain in the multiple myeloma patient. Am J Surg 203(2):127-31, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21788006.
- Byrum S, Avaritt NL, Mackintosh SG, Munkberg JM, Badgwell BD , Cheung WL, Tackett AJ. A quantitative proteomic analysis of FFPE melanoma. J Cutan Pathol 38(11):933-6, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21883366.
- Johnson CB, Korourian S, Badgwell BD , Fincher RL, Dell CM, Don Bice C, Boneti C, Westbrook KC, Klimberg VS. Sensitivity of axillary specimen x-ray to predict nodal count and positivity. Ann Surg Oncol 18(11):3181-6, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21861231.
- Klimberg VS, Boneti C, Adkins LL, Smith M, Siegel E, Zharov V, Ferguson S, Henry-Tillman R, Badgwell B , Korourian S. Feasibility of percutaneous excision followed by ablation for local control in breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 18(11):3079-87, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21904959.
- Badgwell BD , Contreras C, Askew R, Krouse R, Feig B, Cormier JN. Radiographic and clinical factors associated with improved outcomes in advanced cancer patients with bowel obstruction. J Palliat Med 14(9):990-6, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21767166.
- Brouquet A, Vauthey JN, Badgwell BD, Loyer EM, Kaur H, Curley SA, Abdalla EK. Hepatectomy for recurrent colorectal liver metastases after radiofrequency ablation. Br J Surg 98(7):1003-9, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21541936.
- Badgwell BD , Pierce C, Broadwater JR, Westbrook K, Korourian S, Davis D, Hiatt K, Lee J, Cheung WL, Klimberg VS. Intraoperative sentinel lymph node analysis in melanoma. J Surg Oncol 103(1):1-5, 2011. PMID: 21165982.
- Badgwell BD , Chang GJ, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Smith K, Lupo PJ, Frankowski RF, Delclos G, Du XL, Cormier J. Management and outcomes of anorectal infection in the cancer patient. Ann Surg Oncol 16(10):2752-8, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19649556.
- Badgwell BD , Smith K, Liu P, Bruera E, Curley SA, Cormier JN. Indicators of surgery and survival in oncology inpatients requiring surgical evaluation for palliation. Support Care Cancer 17(6):727-34, 2009. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 19083026.
- Xing Y, Badgwell BD, Ross MI, Gershenwald JE, Lee JE, Mansfield PF, Lucci A, Cormier JN. Lymph node ratio predicts disease-specific survival in melanoma patients. Cancer 115(11):2505-13, 2009. PMID: 19309746.
- Badgwell B , Cormier JN, Xing Y, Yao J, Bose D, Krishnan S, Pisters P, Feig B, Mansfield P. Attempted salvage resection for recurrent gastric or gastroesophageal cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 16(1):42-50, 2009. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18985270.
- Badgwell B , Cormier JN, Krishnan S, Yao J, Staerkel GA, Lupo PJ, Pisters PW, Feig B, Mansfield P. Does neoadjuvant treatment for gastric cancer patients with positive peritoneal cytology at staging laparoscopy improve survival?. Ann Surg Oncol 15(10):2684-91, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18649106.
- Badgwell B , Feig BW, Ross MI, Mansfield PF, Wen S, Chang GJ. Pneumoperitoneum in the cancer patient. Ann Surg Oncol 14(11):3141-7, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17680315.
- Badgwell B , Lesinski GB, Magro C, Abood G, Skaf A, Carson W. The antitumor effects of interferon-alpha are maintained in mice challenged with a STAT1-deficient murine melanoma cell line. J Surg Res 116(1):129-36, 2004. PMID: 14732359.