About Dr. Brian A. Taylor
Brian A. Taylor, Ph.D., DABR is an Associate Professor in the Department of Imaging Physics. He is a licensed medical physicist with board certification in Diagnostic Medical Physics from the American Board of Radiology. He provides clinical physics support for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and ultrasound operations for MD Anderson in the Division of Diagnostic Imaging.
Dr. Taylor received his Ph.D. in Medical Physics from The University of Texas Health Science Center and MD Anderson Cancer Center Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences in 2010. He also received postdoctoral training in translational imaging research using MRI at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. His work has been recognized both locally and nationally including the Aaron M. Blanchard Research Award in Medical Physics, American College of Medical Physics Graduate Student Award, and being named a Sowell-Huggins Scholar in Cancer Research. In 2019, Dr. Taylor became a member of the Council of Early Career Investigators in Imaging at The Academy for Radiology and Biomedical Imaging Research.
Dr. Taylor has been a primary investigator or co-investigator in several funded research studies. His research focus is the development of MRI technology and image processing techniques to aid not only in the diagnosis of cancer, but also in planning treatments, in evaluating treatment response and in measuring the long-term effects of cancer and cancer therapy.
Associate Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Faculty, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center UTHealth Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
Advanced neuroimaging. Use of quantitative imaging for the longitudinal assessment of chronic conditions.
Development and standardization of imaging protocols. Presurgical functional MRI and tractography for neurosurgery. Clinical support and quality assurance in MRI and ultrasound.
|2010||The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - UTHealth, Houston, TX, USA, PHD, Medical Physics|
|2005||Union University, Jackson, TN, USA, BS, Mathematics and Physics|
|2010-2012||Postdoctoral Fellowship, Translational Imaging Research, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN|
|2016||American Board of Radiology in Diagnostic Medical Physics|
|2019||Council of Early Career Investigators in Imaging, The Academy for Radiology and Biomedical Imaging Research|
|2015||Outstanding Young Alumnus of the Year, Union University|
|2011||Aaron Blanchard Research Award in Medical Physics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2010||Andrew Sowell-Wade Huggins Scholarship in Cancer Research|
|2009||Graduate Student Award, American College of Medical Physics|
|2005||The Elizabeth Tigrett Medal, Union University|
- Wilde EA, Goodrich-Hunsaker NJ, Ware AL, Taylor BA, Biekman BD, Hunter JV, Newman-Norland R, Scarneo S, Casa DJ, Levin HS. DTI indicators of White Matter Injury are Correlated with Multimodal EEG-based Biomarkers in Slow Recovering, Concussed Collegiate Athletes. J Neurotrauma 37(19):2093-2101, 2020.
- Bigler ED, Skiles M, Wade BSC, Abildskov TJ, Tustison NJ, Scheibel RS, Newsome MR, Mayer AR, Stone JR, Taylor BA, Tate DF, Walker WC, Levin HS, Wilde EA.. FreeSurfer 5.3 versus 6.0: are volumes comparable? A Chronic Effects of Neurotrauma Consortium study. Brain Imaging Behav 14(5):1318-1327, 2020.
- Ma L, Steinberg JL, Bjork JM, Taylor BA, Arias AJ, Terplan M, Anastasio NC, Zuniga EA, Lennon M, Cunningham KA, Moeller FG. Cingulo-hippocampal Effective Connectivity Positively Correlates with Drug-cue Attentional Bias in Opioid use Disorder. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging 294:110977, 2019.
- Bigler ED, Abildskov TJ, Eggleston B, Taylor BA, Tate DF, Petrie JA, Newsome MR, Scheibel RS, Levin HS, Walker WC, Gooodrich-Hunsaker N, Tustison NJ, Stone JR, Mayer AR, Duncan TD, York GE, Wilde EA.. Structural Neuroimaging of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: A chronic effects of neurotrauma study. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 28(3):e1781, 2019.
- Wilde EA, Provenzale JM, Taylor BA, Boss M, Zuccolotto A, Hachey R, Pathak S, Tate DF, Abildskov TJ, Schneider W.. Assessment of Quantitative Magnetic Resonance Imaging Metrics in the Brain through the Use of a Novel Phantom. Brain Inj 32(10):1266-1276, 2018.
- Newsome MR, Wilde EA, Bigler ED, Liu Q, Mayer AR, Taylor BA, Steinberg JL, Tate DF, Abildskov TJ, Scheibel RS, Walker WC, Levin HS. Functional Brain Connectivity and Cortical Thickness in Relation to Chronic Pain in Post-911 Veterans and Service Members with mTBI. Brain Inj 32(10):1236-1244, 2018.
- Provenzale JM, Taylor BA, Wilde EA, Boss M, Schneider W. Analysis of Variability of Fractional Anisotropy Values at 3T Using a Novel Diffusion Tensor Imaging Phantom. Neuroradiol J 31(16):1236-1244, 2018.
- Savjani RS, Taylor BA, Acion L, Wilde EA, Jorge RE. Accelerated Changes in Cortical Thickness Measurements in Military Service Members with Traumatic Brain Injury. Jour Neurotrauma 34(22):3107-3116, 2017.
- Stone JR, Wilde EA, Taylor BA, Tate DF, Levin H, Bigler ED, Scheibel RS, Newsome MR, Mayer AR, Abildskov T, Black GM, Lennon MJ, York GE, Agarwal R, DeVillasante J, Ritter JL, Walker PB, Ahlers ST, Tustison NJ. Supervised Learning Technique for the Automated Identification of White Matter Hyperintensities in Traumatic Brain Injury. Brain Injury 30(12):1458-1468, 2016.
- Wilde EA, Bigler ED, Huff T, Wang H, Black GM, Christensen Z, Goodrich-Hunsaker N, Petrie J, and CENC Neuroimaging Core Investigators including Abildskov T, Taylor BA, Stone JR, Tustison NJ, Newsome MR, Levin HS, Chu ZD, York GE, Tate DF. Quantitative Structural Neuroimaging of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury in the Chronic Effects of Neurotrauma Consortium (CENC): Comparison of Volumetric Data within and across Scanners. Brain Injury 30(12):1442-1451, 2016.
- Newsome MR, Li X, Lin X, Wilde EA, Ott S, Biekman B, Hunter JV, Dash PK, Taylor BA, Levin HS. Functional Connectivity is Altered in Concussed Adolescents Athletes Despite Medical Clearance to Return to Play: A Preliminary Report. Front Neurol 15(7):116, 2016.
- Newsome MR, Mayer AR, Lin X, Jackson GR, Scheibel RS, Walder A, Sathiyaraj A, Wilde EA, Mukhi S, Taylor BA, Levin HS. Chronic Effects of Blast-Related TBI on Subcortical Functional Connectivitiy in Veterans. Jour Intern Neuropsych Soc, 2016.
- Wilde EA, Bouix S, Tate DF, Lin AP, Newsome MR, Taylor BA, Stone J.R., Montier J., Gandy S.E., Biekman B.. Advanced Neuroimaging Applied to Veterans and Service Personnel with Traumatic Brain Injury: State of the Art and Potential Benefits. Brain Imaging Behav 9(3):367-402, 2015.
- Mackin D, Fave X, Zhang L, Fried D, Yang J, Taylor BA, Rodriguez-Rivera E, Dodge C, Jones AK, Court L. Measuring Computed Tomography Scanner Variability of Radiomics Features. Invest Radiol 50(11):757-65, 2015.
- Winchell AM, Taylor BA, Song R, Loeffler RB, Grundlehner P, Hankins JS, Wang WC, Ogg RJ, Hillenbrand CM, Helton KJ. Evaluation of SWI in Children with Sickle Cell Disease. American Journal of Neuroradiology 35(5):1016-21, 2014.
- Taylor BA, Loeffler RB, Song R, McCarville ME, Hankins JS, Hillenbrand CM. Automated T(2) * Measurements Using Supplementary Field Mapping to Assess Cardiac Iron Content. J Magn Reson Imaging 38(2):441-7, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23292658.
- Lin JS, Hwang KP, Jackson EF, Hazle JD, Stafford RJ, Taylor BA. Multiparametric Fat-Water Separation Method for Fast Chemical Shift Imaging Guidance of Thermal Therapies. Medical Physics 40(10):103302, 2013.
- Taylor BA, Loeffler RB, Song R, McCarville MB, Hankins JS, Hillenbrand CM. Simultaneous Field and R2 Mapping to Quantify Liver Iron Content Using Autoregressive Moving Average Modeling. J Magn Reson Imaging 35(5):1125-32, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22180325.
- Taylor BA, Elliott AM, Hwang KP, Hazle JD, Stafford RJ. Correlation Between the Temperature Dependence of Intrinsic MR Parameters and Thermal Dose Measured by a Rapid Chemical Shift Imaging Technique. NMR Biomed 24(10):1414-21, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21721063.
- Taylor BA, Elliott AM, Hwang KP, Shetty A, Hazle JD, Stafford RJ. Measurement of Temperature Dependent Changes in Bone Marrow Using a Rapid Chemical Shift Imaging Technique. J Magn Reson Imaging 33(5):1128-35, 2011. PMID: 21509871.
- Melancon MP, Elliott A, Ji X, Shetty A, Yang Z, Tian M, Taylor BA, Stafford RJ, Li C. Theranostics with Multifunctional Magnetic Gold Nanoshells: Photothermal Therapy and t2* Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Invest Radiol 46(2):132-40, 2011. PMID: 21150791.
- Taylor BA, Hwang KP, Hazle JD, Stafford RJ. Autoregressive Moving Average Modeling for Spectral Parameter Estimation from a Multigradient Echo Chemical Shift Acquisition. Med Phys 36(3):753-64, 2009. PMID: 19378736.
- Taylor BA, Hwang KP, Elliott AM, Shetty A, Hazle JD, Stafford RJ. Dynamic Chemical Shift Imaging for Image-guided Thermal Therapy: Analysis of Feasibility and Potential. Med Phys 35(2):793-803, 2008. PMID: 18383702.
- Ma L, Steinberg JL. Bjork JM, Taylor BA, Arias AJ, Terplan M, Anastasio NC, Zuniga EA, Lennon M, Cunningham KA, Moeller FG. Cingulo-hippocampal effective connectivity and drug cue related attentional bias in opioid use disorder. The College on Problems of Drug Dependence. San Antonio, 2019.
- Vassileva J, Shahidi R, Taylor BA, Moeller FG, Ahn WY. Machine learning identifies common and specific markers of alcohol, cannabis, and nicotine dependence. The College on Problems of Drug Dependence. San Antonio, 2019.
- Taylor BA. Advanced Brain Imaging Tools: Applications in Opioid Addiction and Traumatic Brain Injury. Medical Imaging Technology Showcase at Capitol Hill. Washington, DC, 2019.
- Taylor BA, Savjani RS, Acion L, Wilde EA, Jorge RE. Accelerated Changes in Cortical Thickness in Military Service Members with Traumatic Brain Injury. World Congress on Brain Injury. New Orleans, LA, 2017.
- Tipirneni-Sajja A, Krafft AJ, Taylor BA, Loeffler RB, Song R, Artz N, Hankins JS, Hillenbrand CM. Simultaneous Iron and Fat Quantification Using an Auto Regressive Moving Average Model at 1.5T and 3T. Annual Meeting of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2017.
- Taylor BA, Savjani RS, Acion L, Wilde EA, Jorge RE. Machine Learning Classification of TBI in US Service Members and Veterans. World Congress on Brain Injury. The Hague, Netherlands, 2016.
- Wilde, EA, Taylor BA, Jorge, RE. Brain Morphometric Techniques Applied to the Study of Traumatic Brain Injury. In: Brain Morphometry. Eds. G. Spalletta, F. Piras, and T. Gili. Humana Press, 2018.
- Stafford, RJ, Taylor BA. Practical Clinical Thermometry. In: Physics of Thermal Therapy: Fundamentals and Clinical Applications. Ed E. Moros. CRC Press. Taylor and Francis Group LLC, 2012.