About Dr. Barcenas
Associate Medical Director, Breast Cancer Survivorship, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Assistant Professor, Department of Breast Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Clinical Specialist, Department of GIM, AT and EC, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Dr. Barcenas has a background in Epidemiology, and has worked in the field of Comparative Effectiveness and Health Outcomes Research, conducting various studies that have resulted in publications in several peer-reviewed journals. He has a strong research interest in Cancer Survivorship Research and has proposed studies designed to provide insight on environmental and genetic determinants of disease, to create risk prediction models, to assess the prevalence, mechanisms, risk factors and treatment of long-term treatment effects, with the ultimate purpose of enhancing the quality of life for cancer survivors.
|2003||University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA, M.Sc, Epidemiology|
|1992||Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, School of Medicine, Bogotá, COL, MD, Medicine|
|2010-2013||Clinical Fellowship, Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2006-2009||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA|
|1993-1997||Specialist, Occupational Health, Universidad El Bosque, Bogotá|
|2013||American Board of Internal Medicine - Medical Oncology|
|2009||American Board of Internal Medicine - Internal Medicine|
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, 2009 - 2010
Quality Officer for Performance Improvement, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2016
Assistant Epidemiologist/Data Manager, Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1999 - 2006
Occupational Medicine Physician, Colmena Riesgos Profesionales, Bogotá, 1995 - 1998
Institutional Committee Activities
Committee Member, Medical Record Committee Meeting, 2016 - Present
Committee Member, Breast Cancer Related Lymphedema Core Leadership, 2015 - Present
Team Member, Follow up for Validation on Breast Outcome Measures with ICCI Team, 2014 - Present
Committee Member, Pain and End of Life Project Committee, 2014 - 2016
Committee Member, Patient History Data Base Ad-hoc Committee, 2014 - 2016
Committee Member, Cancer Survivorship Research Advisory Workgroup, 2014 - Present
Member, Integrative Health Working Group, 2014 - 2017
Chair and Committee Member, Breast Cancer Management System (BCMS) Database Development Committee, 2014 - Present
Committee Member, Breast Program Leadership Committee, 2014 - Present
Chair and Program Committee Member, New Patient Peer Review Planning Meeting, 2014 - Present
|2016||Paul Calabresi Career Development Award for Clinical Oncology (NIH K-12), Paul Calabresi|
|2013||Annual Hematology and Oncology Fellowship Clinical Investigation Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2013||MD Anderson Fellowship Education Chief Academic Year 2012 - 2013, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2013||Allison and Brian Grove Endowed Fellowship|
|2012||Sheskey Family Fellowship for Breast Cancer Research Award|
|2012||Allison and Brian Grove Endowed Fellowship|
|2011||Allison and Brian Grove Endowed Fellowship|
|2011||Fellow CERCIT Fellowship Scholar|
|2011||ASCO Annual Meeting Merit Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology|
|2009||First Place Rahn-Peacock Research Award, Medical College of Georgia|
|2009||Nominated for Resident of the Year, Medical College of Georgia|
|2005||Performance Reward. Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|1997||Evaluation of audiometric interpretation scales for the early detection of neurosensory hypoacusis by noise: Student Award Presentation in the Fifth Institutional Research Meeting of Schools of Medicine, Bogotá, Colombia|
- Fayanju OM, Hall CS, Bauldry JB, Karhade M, Valad LM, Kuerer HM, DeSnyder SM, Barcenas CH, Lucci A. Body mass index mediates the prognostic significance of circulating tumor cells in inflammatory breast cancer. Am J Surg 214(4):666-671, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28720217.
- Wu X, Ye Y, Barcenas CH, Chow WH, Meng QH, Chavez-MacGregor M, Hildebrandt MA, Zhao H, Gu X, Deng Y, Wagar E, Esteva FJ, Tripathy D, Hortobagyi GN. Personalized prognostic prediction models for breast cancer recurrence and survival incorporating multidimensional data. J Natl Cancer Inst 109(7):doi: 10.1093/jnci/djw314, 2017. PMID: 28376179.
- Barcenas CH, Raghavendra A, Sinha AK, Syed MP, Hsu L, Patangan MG, Chavez-MacGregor M, Shen Y, Hortobagyi GH, Valero V, Giordano SH, Ueno NT, Tripathy D. Outcomes in patients with early-stage breast cancer who underwent a 21-gene expression assay. Cancer 123(13):doi: 10.1002/cncr.30618, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28199747.
- Tadros AB, Yang WT, Krishnamurthy S, Rauch GM, Smith BD, Valero V, Black DM, Lucci A, Caudle AS, DeSnyder SM, Teshome M, Barcenas CH, Miggins M, Adrada BE, Moseley T, Hwang RF, Hunt KK, Kuerer HM. Identification of patients with documented pathologic complete response in the breast after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for omission of axillary surgery. JAMA Surg 152(7):doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0562, 2017. PMID: 28423171.
- Raghavendra A, Sinha AK, Le-Petross HT, Garg N, Hsu L, Patangan M, Bevers TB, Shen Y, Banu A, Tripathy D, Bedrosian I, Barcenas CH. Mammographic breast density is associated with the development of contralateral breast cancer. Cancer 123(11):1935-1940, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28135395.
- Sinha AK, Patel JR, Shen Y, Ueno NT, Giordano SH, Tripathy D, Lopez DS, Barcenas CH. Location of receipt of initial treatment and outcomes in long-term breast cancer survivors. PLoS One 12(1):e017008. doi: 10.1371/jornal.pone.01790081, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28085940.
- Fayanju OM, Mayo TL, Spinks TE, Lee S, Barcenas CH, Smith BD, Giordano SH, Hwang RF, Ehlers RA, Selber JC, Walters R, Tripathy D, Hunt KK, Buchholz TA, Feeley TW, Kuerer HM. Value-based breast cancer care: Multidisciplinary approach for defining patient-centered outcomes. Ann Surg Oncol 23(8):2385-90, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26979306.
- Edwards BJ, Sun M, West DP, Guindani M, Lin YH, Lu H, Hu M, Barcenas C, Bird J, Feng C, Saraykar S, Tripathy D, Hortobagyi GN, Gagel R, Murphy WA. Incidence of atypical femur fractures in cancer patients: The MD Anderson Cancer Center Experience. J Bone Miner Res 31(8):1569-76, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26896384.
- Sanford RA, Lei X, Barcenas CH, Mittendorf EA, Caudle AS, Valero V, Tripathy D, Giordano SH, Chavez-MacGregor M. Impact of time from completion of neoadjuvant chemotherapy to surgery on survival outcomes in breast cancer patients. Ann Surg Oncol 23(5):1515-21, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26678405.
- Fujii T, Le Du F, Xiao L, Kogawa T, Barcenas CH, Alvarez RH, Valero V, Shen Y, Ueno NT. Effectiveness of an adjuvant chemotherapy regimen for early-stage breast cancer: A systematic review and network meta-analysis. JAMA Oncol 1(9):1311-8, 2015. PMID: 26402167.
- Barcenas CH, Niu J, Zhang N, Zhang Y, Buchholz TA, Elting LS, Hortobagyi GN, Smith BD, Giordano SH. Risk of hospitalization according to chemotherapy regimen in early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 32(19):2010-7, 2014. PMID: 24868022.
- Delpech Y, Coutant C, Hsu L, Barranger E, Iwamoto T, Barcenas CH, Hortobagyi GN, Rouzier R, Esteva FJ, Pusztai L. Clinical benefit from neoadjuvant chemotherapy in oestrogen receptor-positive invasive ductal and lobular carcinomas. Br J Cancer 108(2):285-91, 2013. PMID: 23299541.
- Barcenas CH, Zhang N, Zhao H, Duan Z, Buchholz TA, Hortobagyi GN, Giordano SH. Anthracycline regimen adherence in older patients with early breast cancer. Oncologist 17(3):303-11, 2012. PMID: 22371383.
- Barcenas CH, Wells J, Chong D, French J, Looney SW, Samuel TA. Race as an independent risk factor for breast cancer survival: Breast cancer outcomes from the Medical College of Georgia tumor registry. Clin Breast Cancer 10(1):59-63, 2010. PMID: 20133260.
- Mullen JT, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Chang GJ, Barcenas CH, Crane CH, Skibber JM, Feig BW. Results of surgical salvage after failed chemoradiation therapy for epidermoid carcinoma of the anal canal. Ann Surg Oncol 14(2):478-83, 2007. PMID: 17103253.
- Barcenas CH, Hosain GM, Arun B, Zong J, Zhou X, Chen J, Cortada JM, Mills GB, Tomlinson GE, Miller AR, Strong LC, Amos CI. Assessing BRCA carrier probabilities in extended families. J Clin Oncol 24(3):354-60, 2006. PMID: 16421416.
- Wilkinson AV, Spitz MR, Strom SS, Prokhorov AV, Barcenas CH, Cao Y, Saunders KC, Bondy ML. Effects of nativity, age at migration, and acculturation on smoking among adult Houston residents of Mexican descent. Am J Public Health 95(6):1043-9, 2005. PMID: 15914831.
- Ayoub Z, Strom EA, Ovalle V, Perkins GH, Woodward WA, Tereffe W, Smith BD, Shaitelman SF, Stauder MC, Hoffman KE, DeSnyder SM, Garvey PB, Clemens MW, Barcenas CH, Kuerer HM, Kronowitz S. A 10-Year experience with mastectomy and tissue expander placement to facilitate subsequent radiation and reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28766219.
- Tadros AB, Smith BD, Shen Y, Lin H, Krishnamurthy S, Lucci A, Barcenas CH, Hwang RF, Rauch G, Santiago L, Strom EA, DeSnyder SM, Yang WT, Black DM, Albarracin CT, Chavez-MacGregor M, Hunt KK, Kuerer HM. Ductal carcinoma in situ and margins <2mm: Contemporary outcomes with breast conservation. Ann Surg. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28742682.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Barcenas CH. NEJM Knowledge+. Writer of board-style “Questions and Answers in Medical Oncology for Primary Care Physicians”. New England Journal of Medicine, 2013.
- Barcenas CH, Ibrahim NK. Chemotherapy Induced Colitis. In: Colitis. In-Tech - Open Access Publishing: New York, 115-128, 2012.
Letters to the Editor
- Zhang X, Sun M, McKoy JM, Bhulani NNA, Valero V, Barcenas CH, Popat UR, Sri MK, Shah JB, Dinney CP, Hedberg AM, Champlin R, Tripathy D, Holmes HM, Stroehlein JR, Edwards BJ. Malnutrition in older patients with cancer: Appraisal of the Mini Nutritional Assessment, weight loss, and body mass index. J Geriatr Oncol.
|Title:||Development of a breast cancer survivorship research program|
|Funding Source:||The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|Title:||Calabresi Clinical Oncology Scholar K12 Award (Clinical Investigator Program)|
|Funding Source:||Paul Calabresi Clinical Oncology|
|Title:||T32 Academic Fellowship training grant for academic years 2011 through 2013|