Meet Carmen Escalante, M.D.
About Dr. Escalante
I enjoy teaching and mentoring others. In addition, part of the role as Department Chair, is mentoring faculty. I have routinely lectured to various groups on internal medicine topics in cancer patients. I have regularly participated as a preceptor in the University of Texas Health Science Center sophomore medical student course, Introduction to Clinical Medicine. I have also annually participated as a faculty mentor for high school or college students in our institutional Summer Research Program and the statewide sponsored Internal Medicine Summer Preceptorship for medical students. In addition, we also regularly host medical observers that rotate through our department, and I have had significant interactions and teaching through this program. Most recently our division has initiated a program with Texas A&M and a number of their senior medical students have selected electives through our department and spent time with our faculty and me during the past year. Because of our success, we now have junior medical students from Texas A&M rotating with our faculty as part of their medicine core curriculum. We also have physician assistant students rotating with our faculty as part of their training program.
We also have a GIM fellowship program. Four fellows completed the program. This is a clinical research fellowship structured to develop and refine clinical research skills following internal medicine training. Each fellow has a clinical research project that is ongoing and led primarily by them with faculty supervision. One of the fellows worked with me and led a VTE clinical project. I plan to continue our educational endeavors and expect the department’s educational activities will continue to expand.
In the News
Professor, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Department Chair, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Bryan, College Station, TX
Ongoing Research Support
PA11-0980 - 2013-present. Cancer-Related Fatigue (CRF) Clinic Retrospective Study: Reporting on PRO Data Captured Via Tablet Computer. Principal Investigator.
The purpose of this study is to describe our current patients, the results of their clinical evaluations, and their CRF-related outcomes. Patients to be included in this study were seen at the CRF Clinic after the clinic began using a tablet computer (i.e., iPad) for patients to use in completing their standard clinical assessments.
ID00-372, 2003−present. McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals. “ A Randomized, Double-Blind, Two-period, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Trial of Sustained Release Methyphenidate in the Treatment of Fatigue in Breast Cancer Patients ”. The goal of the study is to determine if Nuvigil decreases fatigue levels in chronic myeloid leukemia patients. Principal Investigator.
PA12-0557- Retrospective Study: Axitinib-Induced Hypertension in Cancer Patients. Principal Investigator.
The specific aims of the study: Aim 1: To evaluate the frequency coordinated with practice patterns of axitinib-induced HTN in cancer patients (time to need first anti-HTN agent, type and number of anti-HTN agents used and success of management of HTN during and following treatment with axitinib). Aim 2: To assess the frequency of TKI dose reduction, withdrawal and delay in treatment of the malignancy due to HTN, proteinuria and/or acute kidney injury (AKI). Aim 3: To determine the time course for resolution of TKI-induced HTN, proteinuria and/or AKI upon completion of axitinib treatment. Titration of the anti-HTN is frequently necessary once the blood pressure begins to normalize. Typically, patients may be on multiple anti-HTN agents and require reduction of these agents so hypotensive symptoms do not occur.Aim 4: To assess if the development of HTN is a predictor of the patients’ clinical outcome: complete remission, incomplete response or disease progression in patients with RCC undergoing treatment with axitinib.
RCR05-0763 A Cancer-related Fatigue Clinic: A Descriptive Survey. Principal Investigator.
2005-0936 Fatigue and Symptom Burden in Febrile Neutropenia. Principal Investigator.
2009-0026 A Prospective Study of Cancer Patients Diagnosed with Unsuspected Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) on Routine Computed Tomography (CT) Scans. Principal Investigator.
DR09-0012 Retrospective Chart Review Study: To Examine the Relationship Between Fatigue and Apathy in Patients Enrolled in the Cancer-related atigue Clinic. Principal Investigator.
Completed Research Support
2009-0683, 2009 − 2012. Cephalon, Inc. “Nuvigil in Treatment of Cancer-Related Fatigue in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML) on Imatinib, Dasatinib and Nilotinib,". Principal Investigator.
2008-0628, 2008−2011. Eisai, Inc. “Fragmin Treatment Study in Patients with Malignancies and Symptomatic Venous Thromboembolism”. The goal of the study is to determine if Concerta decreases fatigue levels in this patient population. Principal Investigator.
2010-0066, 2009-2011, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center. “Collaborative Group Clinics for Cancer Survivors”. The goal of this project was to develop and pilot test a novel method of healthcare delivery in women with chronic fatigue who have survived cancer. Co-Principal Investigator
2006-0458, 2006-2010. Bristol-Myers Squibb. “A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study of Apixaban for the Prevention of Thromboembolic Events in Patients Undergoing Treatment for Advanced Cancer: A Phase 2 Pilot Study”. The goal of this project was to determine if Apixaban helps prevent VTE in patients with advanced cancer. Principal Investigator.
2007-0232, 2007-2009. Sigma Tau Research. “Double Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Multi-Center Study to Determine the Safety and Efficacy of Oral Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ACL) Administration to Non-Anemic Potentially Curable Breast Cancer Subjects”. The goal of the study was to determine if ACL improves fatigue levels in cancer patients. Principal Investigator.
2004-0107, 6-2005 to 5-2006. Ladies Leukemia League. “Effect of Tight Control of Blood Glucose during Hyper-CVAD Chemotherapy for Acutr Lymphocytic Leukemia”. The goal of the study was to determine if tight control of blood glucose in hyper-CVAD chemotherapy in ALL decreases relapse and improves survival. Collaborator.
2006-0348, 2003 to 2004. SCIOS Inc. “The Use of Nesiritide in the Management of Acute Diastolic Heart Failure”. The goal of the study was to determine if Nesiritide improves diastolic heart failure. Collaborator.
4-2006 to 12-2006. NIOSH. “Determination of Antineoplastic Drug Exposure in Healthcare Workers”. The goal of the study was to determine if healthcare workers were exposed to significant amounts of antineoplastic drugs. Principal Investigator.
ID00-078, 6-2000 to 10-2004. Pharmacia & Upjohn Grant. “Outpatient Treatment of Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT) using Subcutaneous Dalteparin (Fragmin) in Low Risk Cancer Patients”. The goal of the study was to determine if Fragmin is effective for treatment of DVT in low risk cancer patients. Principal Investigator.
2000 to 2003. Yamaha Corp. “Exploring the Use of Octaphonic Sound for Reducing Treatment – Related Distress in Cancer Therapy”. The goal of the study was to determine if the use of Octaphonic sound reduced distress in cancer patients on treatment. Co-Principal Investigator.
RCR01-196, 1-2002 to 12-2002. Ortho Biotech Grant. “Identification of Clinical factors Associated with Severe Fatigue in Cancer Patients Seeking Acute Care.” The goal of the study was to determine the clinical factors associated with severe cancer-related fatigue seeking care in the emergency center. Principal Investigator.
|1985||Louisiana State University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1981||Nicholls State University, Thibodaux, LA, USA, BS, Chemistry|
|2019-2019||CoachRice Leadership, CoachRice: Leadership Coaching Program, Rice/Doerr Institute for New Leaders, Houston, TX|
|1986-1988||Resident, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX|
|1985-1986||Intern, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX|
|1989||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Medical Director, Department of Emergency Center, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1997 - 2004
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, UT System Health Insurance Plan/Claims Review Committee, 1990 - 2015
|2017||President Recognition Faculty Excellence in Financial Stewardship, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2013||Top Doctor in Houston, TX, International Association of Internists (IAI)|
|2012||Nominated for Best Boss Awards, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2011||Voted one of 2011-2012 Best Doctors in America, US News and World Report|
|2010||Speaker 2010 Spring Commencement-86th, Nicholls State University|
|2009||Outstanding Alumna of Nicholls State University, Nicholls State University|
- Zerpa R, Abdelghani EH, Iliescu G, Escalante C. Enormous haemangioma of the liver. BMJ Case Rep 12(3), 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30936329.
- Escalante CP, Chisolm S, Song J, Richardson M, Salkeld E, Aoki E, Garcia-Manero G. Fatigue, Symptom Burden and Health-Related Quality of Life in Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndrome, Aplastic Anemia, and Paroxysmal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria. Cancer Medicine:1-11, 2019. e-Pub 2019.
- Gonzalez CE, Brito-Dellan N, Banala SR, Rubio D, Ait Aiss M, Rice TW, Chen K, Bodurka DC, Escalante CP. Handoff Tool Enabling Standardized Transitions between the Emergency Department and the Hospitalist Inpatient Service at a Major Cancer Center. Am J Med Qual:1062860618776096, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29779398.
- Neeharik Mareedu; C. P. Escalante. Angiogenesis Inhibitor Induced Thromboembolism in Cancer Patients. Int J Cancer Clin Res 4(1), 2017.
- Narayanan S, Escalante CP. Clinical Assessment of Cancer-Related Fatigue. JCOM 24(5):217-227, 2017.
- Escalante CP, Gladish GW, Qiao W, Zalpour A, Assylbekova B, Gao S, Olejeme KA, Richardson MN, Suarez-Almazor ME. Prospective Cohort Study of Cancer Patients Diagnosed with Incidental Venous Thromboembolism on Routine Computed Tomography Scans. Support Care Cancer 25(5):1571-1577, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28070669.
- Escalante CP, Chang YC, Liao K, Rouleau T, Halm J, Bossi P, Bhadriraju S, Brito-Dellan N, Sahai S, Yusuf SW, Zalpour A, Elting LS. Meta-analysis of Cardiovascular Toxicity Risks in Cancer Patients on Selected Targeted Agents. Supportive Care in Cancer 24(9):4057-4074, 2016. PMID: 27344327.
- Lu H, Champlin RE, Popat U, Pundole X, Escalante CP, Wang X, Qiao W, Murphy WA, Gagel RF. Ibandronate for the prevention of bone loss after allogeneic stem cell transplantation for hematologic malignancies: a randomized-controlled trial. Bonekey Rep 5:843, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28018583.
- Yennurajalingam S, Reddy A, Tannir NM, Chisholm GB, Lee RT, Lopez G, Escalante CP, Manzullo EF, Frisbee Hume S, Williams JL, Cohen L, Bruera E. High-Dose Asian Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) for Cancer-Related Fatigue: A Preliminary Report. Integr Cancer Ther 14(5):419-27, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25873296.
- Saligan LN, Olson K, Filler K, Larkin D, Cramp F, Yennurajalingam S, Escalante CP, del Giglio A, Kober KM, Kamath J, Palesh O, Mustian K, Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer Fatigue StudyGroup–Biomarker Working Group. Erratum to: The biology of cancer-related fatigue: a review of the literature. Support Care Cancer 23(9):2853, 2015. PMID: 26081598.
- Saligan LN, Olson K, Filler K, Larkin D, Cramp F, Yennurajalingam S, Sriram Y, Escalante CP, del Giglio A, Kober KM, Kamath J, Palesh O, Mustian K, Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer Fatigue Study Group-Biomarker Working Group. The Biology of cancer-related fatigue: A Review of the Literature. Support Care Cancer 23(8):2461-78, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25975676.
- Berger AM, Mooney K, Alvarez-Perez A, Breitbart WS, Carpenter KM, Cella D, Cleeland C, Dotan E, Eisenberger MA, Escalante CP, Jacobsen PB, Jankowski C, LeBlanc T, Ligibel JA, Loggers ET, Mandrell B, Murphy BA, Palesh O, Pirl WF, Plaxe SC, Riba MB, Rugo HS, Salvador C, Wagner LI, Wagner-Johnston ND, Zachariah FJ, Bergman MA, Smith C. Cancer-Related Fatigue, Version 2, 2015. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 13(8):1012-39, 2015. PMID: 26285247.
- Anand D, Escalante CP. Ongoing Screening and Treatment to Potentially Reduce Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor-Related Fatigue in Renal Cell Carcinoma. J Pain Symptom Manage 50(1):108-17, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25701692.
- Levin M, Julian J, Liebman H, Escalante C, McCarty D.. A Randomized Phase II Trial of Apixaban for the Prevention of Thromboembolism in Patients with Metastatic Cancer. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis:1538-7836, 2012.
- Mortimer JE, Barsevick AM, Bennet CL, Berger AM, Cleeland C, DeVader S, Escalante CP, Gilreath J, Hurria A, Mendoza T, Rugo HS. Studying Cancer-Related Fatigue: Report of the NCCN Scientific Research Committee. JNCCN 8(12):1331-1339, 2011.
- Hwang JP, Holmes HM, Kallen MA, Ensor J, Etchegaray J, Saab R, Arbucke RB, King KM, Escalante CP.. Accuracy of Reporting Current Medications by Cancer Patients Presenting to an Emergency Center. Support Care Cancer, 2010.
- Connor TH, DeBord DG, Pretty JR, Oliver MS, Roth TS, Lees PS, Krieg EF Jr, Rogers B, Escalante CP, Toennis CA, Clark JC, Johnson BC, McDiarmid MA. Evaluation of Antineoplastic Drug Exposure of Health Care Workers at Three University-based US Cancer Centers. J Occup Environ Med 10(52):1019-27, 2010. PMID: 20881620.
- Berger AM, Abernethy AP, Atkinson A, Barsevick Am, Breitbart WS, Cella D, Cimprich B, Cleeland CM, Eisenberger MA, Escalante CP, Jacobsen PB, Kaldor P, Ligibel JA, Murphy BA, O'Connor T, Pirl WF, Rodler E, Rugo HS, Thomas J, Wagner LI. Cancer-Related Fatigue. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 8(8):904-31, 2010. PMID: 20870636.
- Escalante CP, Kallen MA, Valdres R, Morrow P.K, Manzullo E.. Outcomes of a Cancer-Related Fatigue Clinic in Comprehensive Cancer Center. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 39(4):691-701, 2010. e-Pub 2010.
- Hwang JP, Patlan J, de Achaval S, Escalante CP.. Survival in Cancer Patients after Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Supportive Care in Cancer 18(1):51-55, 2010. e-Pub 2009.
- Escalante CP, Manzullo EF. Cancer-Related Fatigue: The Approach and Treatment. Journal of General Internal Medicine 24(2):412-416, 2009. e-Pub 2009.
- Escalante CP, Manzullo EF, Lam TP, Ensor JE, Valdres RU, Wang XS. Fatigue and its Risk Factors in Cancer Patients Who Seek Emergency Care. J Pain Symptom Manage 36(4):358-66, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18411011.
- Holmes L Jr, Escalante CP, Garrison O, Foldi BX, Ogungbade GO, Essient EJ, Ward D.. Testicular Cancer Incidence Trends in the USA (1975-2004): Plateau or Shifting Racial Paradigm?. Public Health 122(9):862-872, 2008. e-Pub 2008.
- Elting LS, Lu C, Escalante CP, Giordano SH, Trent JC, Cooksley C, Avritscher EB, Shih YC, Ensor J, Bekele BN, Gralla RJ, Talcott JA, Rolston K. Outcomes and Cost of Outpatient or Inpatient Management of 712 Patients with Febrile Neutropenia. J Clin Oncol 26(4):606-11, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 18235119.
- Liu W, Vyas A, Escalante CP, Weiser MA, Wang J, Geraci JM. Results of General Internal Medicine Consultations for Diabetes Mellitus in 283 Cancer Patients. Am J Med Sci 9(5):276-9, 2007. PMID: 17505168.
- Geraci JM, Tsang W, Valdres RV, Escalante CP. Progressive Disease in Patients with Cancer Presenting to an Emergency Room with Acute Symptoms Predicts Short-Term Mortality. Support Care Cancer 14(2):161-166, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16572312.
- Geraci JM, Escalante CP, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Comorbid Disease and Cancer: The Need for More Relevant Conceptual Models in Health Services Research. J Clin Oncol 23(30):7399-404, 2005. PMID: 16234509.
- Escalante CP, Weiser MA, Manzullo E, Benjamin R, Rivera E, Lam T, Ho V, Valdres R, Lee EL, Badrina N, Fernandez S, DeJesus Y, Rolston K. Outcomes of Treatment Pathways in Outpatient Treatment of Low Risk Febrile Neutropenic Cancer Patients. Support Care Cancer 12(9):657-62, 2004. PMID: 15185134.
- Elting LS, Escalante CP, Cooksley C, Avritscher EB, Kurtin D, Hamblin L, Khosla SG, Rivera E. Outcomes and Cost of Deep Venous Thrombosis Among Patients with Cancer. Arch Intern Med 164(15):1653-61, 2004. PMID: 15302635.
- Escalante, CP, Manzullo E, Valdres R. Cancer-Related Fatigue Clinic: Opportunities and Challenges. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (JNCCN) 1(3):333-43, 2003.
- Manzullo E, Liu W, Escalante CP.. Treatment of Cancer-Related Fatigue: An Update. Support Care Cancer 3(2):99-106, 2003. e-Pub 2002. PMID: 12560935.
- Escalante CP, Martin CG, Elting LS, Price KJ, Manzullo EF, Weiser MA, Harle TS, Cantor SB, Rubenstein EB. Identifying Risk Factors for Imminent Death in Cancer Patients with Acute Dyspnea. J Pain Symptom Manage 20(5):318-25, 2000. PMID: 11068153.
- Escalante CP, Lu M, Marten CA. Update of Targeted Therapy-Induced Hypertension: Basics for Non-Oncology Providers. Curr Hypertens Rev. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26931476.
- Rojas CM, Tang VK, Sanchez-Petitto G, Qiao W, Richardson M, Escalante C. Development of a clinical prediction tool for cancer associated venous thromboembolism (CAT): The MD Anderson Cancer Center CAT model. JSCC.
- Lacourt TE, Vichaya EG, Escalante C, Manzullo EF, Gunn B, Hess KR, Heijnen CJ, Dantzer R. An Effort Expenditure Perspective on Cancer-Related Fatigue. Psychoneuroendocrinology 96:109-117. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29929087.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Narayanan S, Escalante C. Clinical Assessment and Management of Cancer-Related Fatigue. Coping Magazine, 2017.
- Narayanan S, Escalante C Frequently Asked Questions about Cancer-Related Fatigue. Coping with Cancer, 2018.
- Escalante, CP Patterns of Fatigue and Effect of Exercise in Breast Cancer Patients Receiving Chemotherapy. Clinical Oncology News, 2007.
- Escalante CP, Zalpour A, Song J, Richardson M, Halm J, Yusuf SW, Gao S. Adverse events of rivaroxaban usage in cancer patients. Thrombosis Research 164(S1):S220-221, 2018.
- Tang V, Escalante C, Qiao W, Lam T, Richardson M, Rojas-Hernandez CM,. Performance of Khorana Score Models in Predicting Occurrence of Incidental Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) in Cancer. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis:1156, 2017.
- Brito-Dellan N, Lam T, Manzullo E, Kallen M, Yang D, Haas N, Escalante C. Utilizing Electronic Technologies to Measure Pro Assessment Completion Time in Clinical Practice. J Clin Oncol 34(7S), 2016.
- Escalante CP, Zalpour A, Song J, Richardson M, Lam T, Halm J, Yusuf SW, Gao S.. Practice Patterns and Outcomes of Rivaroxaban Usage in Patients with Cancer. J Clin Oncol 34(7S), 2016.
- Banala S,Gonzalez CE, Brito-Dellan N, Rubio D, Ais Ait M, Rice T, Chen K, Bodurka DC, Escalante CP. Safer Transitions of Care at a Major Cancer Center: The Emergency Center to Hospitalist Experience. J Clin Oncol 34(7S), 2016.
- Bodurka DC, Ait Aiss M, Phu HP, Day LR, AbrahamV, Chen K, Mejia R, Razvi S, Gonzalez CE, Brito-Dellan N, Banala S, Rubio D, Vaughan-Adams N, Ruiz DS, Tan JC, Levenback MF, Frumovitz BZ, Escalante CP. Improving Transitions of Care Through Implementation of Standarized Handoff at a Comprehensive Cancer Center. J Clin Oncol 34(7S), 2016.
- Escalante CP, Meyers C, Reuben JM, Wang X, Qiao MS, Manzullo E, Alvarez R, Morrow PK, Gonzalez-Angulo A, Wang XS, Mendoza T, Liu W, Holmes H, Hwang J, Pisters K, Overman M, Cleeland C.. A Randomized, Double Blind, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Trial of a Sustained Release Methylphenidate in Cancer-Related Fatigue. ASCO 2012, 2012.
- Escalante CP, Gladish GW, Qiao W, Assylbekova B, Zalpour A, Gao S, Olejeme KA, Baker Abisaid R, Richardson M, Suarez ME. A Prospective Study of Cancer Patients Diagnosed with Unsuspected Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) on Routine Computed Tomography (CT) Scans. MASCC/ISOO 2012, 2012.
- Escalante CP, Manzullo E, Rodriguez S, de Achaval S, Novy DM, Suarez ME. Collaborative Group Clinics (CGCs) for Cancer-Related Fatigue. CPRIT 2011, 2011.
- Kallen M, Manzullo E, Lam T, Yang D, Escalante CP.. The Effects of Pain and Other Symptoms on Cancer-Related Fatigue. CPRIT 2011, 2011.
- Kallen M, Yang D, Manzullo E, Escalante CP.. Using a Web-based System in a Clinical Setting to Assess Cancer-Related Fatigue. CPRIT 2011, 2011.
- Hwang JP, Holmes HM, Kallen MA, Ensor J, Etchegaray J, Saab R, Arbuckle RB, King KM, Escalante CP.. Accuracy of Reporting Current Medications by Cancer Patients Presenting to an Emergency Center. Supportive Care Cancer 18(10):1347-1354, 2010.
- Kallen MA, Duffy J, Valdres R, Morrow P.K, Manzullo E, Escalante CP. Patient Apathy and Increased Symptom Burden: Initial Experiences in a Cancer-Related Fatigue (CRF) Clinic. Supportive Care in Cancer 18(3):S95-S96, 2010.
- Escalante CP, Row M, Manzullo E, Qiao W, Gao S, Yeung SJ.. Fatigue in Low Risk Febrile Neutropenia Treated as Outpatients. Supportive Care Cancer 2010 18(3):S94-S95, 2010.
- Manzullo E, Kallen M, Balachandran D, Patel P, Valdres R, Escalante CP. Sleep Disorders In Cancer Patients With Fatigue: The Role of Sleep Apnea. Supportive Care Cancer 18(3):S96-S97, 2010.
- Escalante CP, Kallen MA, Duffy J, Valdres R, Morrow PK, Manzullo E. Does Apathy Impact Cancer Patient Symptom Burden. ASCO 2010, 2010.
- Olejeme K, Suarez-Almazor M, Gladish GW, Lei X, Escalante CP. Prevalence of Unsuspected Venous Thromboembolism on Routine Computed Tomography Scans in Cancer Patients. ASCO 2010, 2010.
- Escalante CP, Row M, Manzullo E, Qiao W, Gao S, Yeung S.J. Fatigue in Low-Risk Febrile Neutropenia (FN) Treated as Outpatients (OPs). The Journal of Supportive Oncology 7(5):195-196, 2009.
- Vu K, Strom S, Konopleva M, Thomas D, Faderl S, Gruschkus S, Hubbard J, Escalante C, Andreeff M, Kantarjian H, Lavis V.. Prevalence of Hyperglycemia and Obesity in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Proc American Diabetes Association, 2007.
- Escalante CP, Oh JH, Baum D, Mante M, Zalpour A, Spivey S, Stewart C, Ensor J, Grover T, Freedman R. Immediate Adverse Reactions to Chemotherapy: Experience of a Large Ambulatory Treatment Center. In Program/Proceedings American Society of Clinical Oncology 24:482, 2006.
- Escalante CP, Lahoti A, Palla S, Lu M, Overman M, George M, Abisaid Baker R, Palasamudram S, Durand JB. Practice Patterns of Bevacizumab-induced Hypertension in Cancer Patients. J Clin Oncol 31. e-Pub 2013.
- Ebede Chidinma C, Jang Yongchang, Escalante Carmen P. Cancer Related Fatigue in Cancer Survivorship. In: Care of Cancer Survivors. 6. Medical Clinics of North America, 1085-1097, 2017.
- Escalante CP, Yeung SCJ. Cardiac Emergencies in Cancer Patients. In: Cancer and the Heart. 2nd. People's Medical PUblishing House-USA: Connecticut, 143-262, 2013.
- Escalante CP, Manzullo EF, Weiss M.. Oncologic Emergencies and Paraneoplastic Syndromes. In: Cancer Management: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 13th. UBM Medica: Connecticut, 977-1002, 2011.
- Escalante CP, Manzullo E. Oncologic Emergencies and Paraneoplastic Syndrome. In: Cancer Management: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 14th. UBM Medica: CT, 2011.
- Escalante CP, Manzullo EF. Cancer-Related Fatigue. In: Manual of Psychosocial Oncology. Valentine/Duffy: India, 139-148, 2010.
- Escalante, CP, Wang, S.. Cancer Related Fatigue. In: Medical Care of Cancer Patients. First Edition. People's Medical Publishing House: Shelton, Connecticut, 53-59, 2009.
- Escalante CP, Manzullo E, Weiss M.. Oncologic Emergencies and Paraneoplastic Syndrome. In: Cancer Management: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 12th. The Oncology Group CMP Medica: New York, 943-966, 2009.
- Escalante CP, Manzullo E, Weiss M. Oncologic Emergencies and Paraneoplastic Syndromes. In: Cancer Management: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 11th edition. CPM Medica: Darien, CT, USA, 979 - 1002, 2007.
- Yeung SJ, Escalante CP. Cardiac Emergencies in the Cancer Patients. In: Cancer and the Heart Chapter 17th. B.C. Decker Inc: Hamilton, ON, Canada, 2006.
- Yeung, SJ, Escalante C. Oncologic Emergencies. In: Cancer Medicine Vol 3. 7th edition. B.C. Decker Inc: Hamilton, ON, Canada, 2246-2265, 2006.
- Escalante C, Valdres R.. The Building of a Cancer-Related Fatigue Clinic. In: Ambulatory Nursing in The Oncology Setting, 413-421, 2006.
- Escalante CP, Manzullo EF,Weiss M, Bonin SR. Oncologic Emergencies and Paraneoplastic Syndromes. In: Cancer Management: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 10th edition. The Oncology Group: New York, N.Y, 2006.
- Escalante CP, Manzullo EF, Bonin SR, Gollamudi SV. Oncologic Emergencies and Paraneoplastic Syndromes. In: Cancer Management: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 7th edition. The Oncology Group: New York, NY, 941-965, 2003.
- Yeung, SJ, Escalante C. Orthopedic Oncologic Emergencies, Chapter 18th. In: Oncologic Emergencies. 6th edition. B.C. Decker Inc: Hamilton, ON, Canada, P. 2659-80, 2003.
Books (edited and written)
- Yeung SJ, Escalante CP, Gagel R. Medical Care of Cancer Patients. In: In: Section editor. Section XVII:. Ed(s) BC Decker Inc. People's Medical Publishing House: Shelton, Connecticut, 2009.
|Funding Source:||Ortho Biotech|
|Funding Source:||Novartis Pharmaceuticals|
|Title:||Severe Fatigue and Pain in Female Cancer Patients Seeking Acute Care|
|Funding Source:||Texas Federation of Business and Professional Women Award|
MD Anderson internal medicine physician Carmen Escalante with a patient
MD Anderson internal medicine physician Carmen Escalante, M.D.
Carmen Escalante, M.D.