About Dr. Gonzalez
Dr. Carmen E. Gonzalez is a Professor, and Chief Patient Safety Officer of the Department of Emergency Medicine and of the Division of Internal Medicine at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. She works to foster improvements in the care of cancer patients and in those with oncologic emergencies in the Emergency Center. Her main research interest is in the science of quality improvement & patient safety. Her research work has been in the topics of pneumonia in cancer patients, sepsis, healthcare handoff, and end of life issues in patients with cancer.
Dr. Gonzalez is certified in Quality Medicine from the American College of Medical Quality since 2013. In December 2017, she obtained the degree of Master of Science in Healthcare Quality and Safety at Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
My research interest has been in HIV, sepsis, pneumonia. I am currently working in quality research endeavors: to improve handoff between the ED and the hospitalist; providing high value of care at the end-of life.
I participated in the Internal Review Study Section (INTEREST), NIH, reviewer. The goal of INTEREST at MD Anderson is to leverage the expertise of our experienced faculty in writing fundable research proposals. I participated in the review of extramural grant proposals -Sepsis Collaborative, to improve, critique and offer experience in the grant review process.
My clinical interest is in the care of patients with oncologic emergencies. Those emergencies include but are not limited to: neutropenic fever, pneumonia, septic shock, hypercalcemia, brain edema, seizures, bleeding, treatment toxicities, within others. My passion is also to deliver a patient and family centered-care. I have over 18 years of experience caring for critically ill patients with oncologic emergencies. I am editor of the Oncologic Emergencies, MD Anderson Cancer Care Series, and authored the chapter of infectious diseases for the this book. In 2016 and in 2017, I was honored with the MDACC President's Faculty Excellence Award, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
|1986||University of Puerto Rico, School of Medicine, San Juan, PRI, MD, Medicine|
|1982||University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras, PRI, BS, General Sciences|
|1992-1994||Clinical Fellowship, Nuclear Medicine, University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, MI|
|1986-1989||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Damas Hospital, Ponce|
|1994||American Board of Nuclear Medicine|
|1989||American Board of Internal Medicine|
|1987||Board of Medical Examiner, Commonwealth of Puerto|
Associate Professor, Department of General Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2017
Divisional Quality Officer, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2016 - 2019
Committee Chair, DoIM Quality Council The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Deputy Department Chair, Department of Emergency Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2015
Quality Officer, Department of Emergency Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2018
Section Chief, Section of Emergency Care, Department of General Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2010
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Acute & Critical Care Subcommittee, 2015 - Present
|2016||MDACC President's Faculty Excellence Award in Clinical Quality, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2015||3rd Prize, Best Poster: HIV screening at a comprehensive cancer center, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2015||2016 Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO Merit Award, Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO and the 2016 ASCO Quality Care Symposium Program Committee|
|2012||3rd Place Poster winner: Vaccination and Tobacco Screening Rates among adult cancer patients at a comprehensive cancer center, DoIM Research Retreat|
|2009||Multiyear Appointment Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
- Reyes CC, Anderson KO, Gonzalez CE, Ochs HC, Wattana M, Acharya G, Todd KH. Depression and Survival Outcomes After Emergency Department Cancer Pain Visits. BMJ Support Palliat Care 9(4):e36, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30171043.
- Gonzalez CE, Brito-Dellan N, Banala SR, Rubio D, Ait Aiss M, Rice TW, Chen K, Bodurka DC, Escalante CP. Handoff Tool Enabling Standardized Transitions Between the Emergency Department and the Hospitalist Inpatient Service at a Major Cancer Center. Am J Med Qual 33(6):629-636, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29779398.
- Cruz Carreras MT, Gonzalez C, Chaftari P, Guha-Thakurta N, Shamsia A. Methotrexate induced leukoencephalopthy presenting as stroke in the emergency department. Clinical Case Reports, 2017. e-Pub 2017.
- Cruz-Carreras MT, Chaftari P, Gonzalez C, Enojo R, Viets-Upchurch J. Emergency Department Intervention Program for Enhancing Choice at the End-of-Life. Palliat Care Med 7(2), 2017. e-Pub 2017.
- Elsayem AF, Merriman KW, Gonzalez CE, Yeung SC, Chaftari PS, Reyes-Gibby C, Todd KH. Presenting Symptoms in the Emergency Department as Predictors of Intensive Care Unit Admissions and Hospital Mortality in a Comprehensive Cancer Center. J Oncol Pract 12(5):e554-63, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27072570.
- Gonzalez CE, Johnson T, Rolston K, Walters R, Evans s, Kidin L, George S, DeJesus A, Haq S. Assessing Compliance with Established Pneumonia Core Measures at a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Journal of Healthcare Quality 37(4):232-44, 2015. PMID: 24629128.
- Wu W, Liu X, Chaftari P, Cruz Carreras MT, Gonzalez C, Viets-Upchurch J, Merriman K, Tu SM, Dalal S, Yeung SC. Association of Body Composition with Outcome of Docetaxel Chemotherapy in Metastatic Prostate Cancer: A Retrospective Review. PLoS One 10(3):e0122047, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25822612.
- Shapiro B, Gonzalez E, Weissman A, McHugh T, Markel SF. Malignant paraganglioma of the prostate: case report, depiction by meta-iodobenzylguanidine scintigraphy and review of the literature. J Med 41(1):36-41, 1997. PMID: 9195851.
- Rice T, Brock P, Gonzalez C, Merriman K, Shelal Z, Granwehr B. Screening for Human Immunodeficiency Virus in a Comprehensive Cancer Center: Initiating Practice Change through the Emergency Department. Acute Medicine.
- Gonzalez CE, Cruz-Carreras MT, Thakurta NG, Ninotchka B, Chaftari PS. A Rare Case of Extramedullary Plasmacytoma of the Pleura Causing Spinal Cord Compression in a Patient with Multiple Myeloma. Medical Science Case Reports 4:19-24. e-Pub 2017.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Gonzalez, CE. When is an emergency an emergency? A patient's guide for use of MD Anderson Emergency Center Facility. Network Summer, A publication of the Anderson Network, 2007.
- Johnson T, Wattari S, Gonzalez CE, Rolston K. Vaccination Rates among Adult Cancer Patients at a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 18(Supplement 3; R2798), 2012.