About Dr. Lewis
Dr. Carol Lewis attended the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, where she received her Bachelor of Science in Asian Studies and Biology with High Honors, and was a junior inductee into the Phi Beta Kappa honor society. She then attended Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City, where she obtained both her MD with Distinction in Research and her Masters of Public Health. During medical school, she spent one year as an Albert Schweitzer fellow, educating socially-marginalized populations about access to resources, as well as two years doing basic immunology research at the National Institutes of Health. She was also inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society. She completed her residency in the Harvard Combined Otolaryngology Residency Program and her fellowship in head and neck cancer surgery at University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Currently, Dr. Lewis is an Associate Professor in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. She is board-certified in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery with the American Board of Otolaryngology. She is also a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and the Harris County Medical Society.
Dr. Lewis uses a multidisciplinary approach to treat a range of head and neck cancer, including skin cancer and melanoma, mouth and throat cancer, and thyroid cancer.
Associate Professor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2004||Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA, MPH, Public Health|
|2003||Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA, MD, Medical Doctor|
|1997||University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, BS, Asian Studies and Biology|
|2009-2010||Clinical Fellowship, Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2008-2009||Research Fellowship, Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2004-2008||Clinical Residency, Otolaryngology, Harvard Medical School Residency in Otolaryngology, Boston, MA|
|2003-2004||Clinical Internship, General Surgery, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA|
|2009||American Board of Otolaryngology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2016
Head and Neck Surgeon Champion, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Head and Neck - Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery National Surgical Quality Improvement Program, Head and Neck Surgery, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Chair, Department of Head and Neck Surgery-Core Curriculum Conference, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Clinical Effectiveness Subcommittee, 2016 - Present
Representative, Faculty Senate, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Houston, TX, 2015 - Present
Member, Division of Surgery Gender Inclusiveness Committee, 2015 - Present
Quality/Cost-Effectiveness Section Leader, Stiefel/Oropharynx Steering Committee, 2014 - Present
Member, Medical Practice Committee, 2014 - Present
Member, Faculty Academic Review Committee, 2014 - Present
Member, Strategic Planning Access Algorithm Team, 2014 - 2017
|2017||13th Annual Robert M. Chamberlain Distinguished Mentor Award - Nominee, Postdoctoral Association, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2008||First Prize Resident Research Award, The Triological Society Eastern Section|
|2007||AAO-HNS Humanitarian Resident Travel Grant|
|2003||Harold Lampert Biomedical Research Prize|
|2003||George James Epidemiology Prize|
|2003||AMWA Glasgow Memorial Award, American Medical Women's Association|
|2002||Elected to Lambda Chapter of Alpha Omega Alpha|
|1996||Junior Inductee to Phi Beta Kappa|
- Goepfert RP, Hutcheson KA, Lewin JS, Desai NG, Zafereo ME, Hessel AC, Lewis CM, Weber RS, Gross ND. Complications, hospital length of stay, and readmission after total laryngectomy. Cancer 123 (10) :1760-1767, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28026864.
- Bell D, Lewis C, El-Naggar AK, Weber RS. Primary intraosseous mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the jaw: Reappraisal of the MD Anderson Cancer Center experience. Head Neck 38 Suppl 1:E1312-7, 2016. PMID: 26316332.
- Lewis CM, Nurgalieva Z, Sturgis EM, Lai SY, Weber RS. Improving Patient Outcomes through Multidisciplinary Treatment Planning Conference. Head Neck 38 Suppl 1:E1820-5, 2016. PMID: 26690552.
- Lewis CM, Aloia TA, Shi W, Martin I, Lai SY, Selber JC, Hessel AC, Hanasono MM, Hutcheson KA, Robb GL, Weber RS. Development and Feasibility of a Specialty-Specific National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP): The head and neck - reconstructive surgery NSQIP. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 142 (4) :321-7, 2016. PMID: 26892756.
- Lira RB, de Carvalho AY, de Carvalho GB, Lewis CM, Weber RS, Kowalski LP. Quality assessment in head and neck oncologic surgery in a Brazilian cancer center compared with MD Anderson Cancer Center benchmarks. Head Neck 38 (7) :1002-7, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26614545.
- Ting J, Bell DM, Lewis CM. Left Temple Ulceration. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 142 (9) :909-10, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27123903.
- Lewis CM, Chronowski GM, Dong W, Gunn GB, Rosenthal DI, Weber RS. Analysis of Charges Associated with Definitive Non-Surgical Therapy for Early-Stage Lateralized Tonsil Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 22 (8) :2755-60, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25519929.
- Lewis CM, Monroe MM, Roberts DB, Hessel AC, Lai SY, Weber RS. An Audit and Feedback System for Effective Quality Improvement in Head and Neck Surgery: Can we become better surgeons?. Cancer 121 (10) :1581-7, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25639485.
- Liederbach E, Lewis CM, Yao K, Brockstein BE, Wang CH, Lutfi W, Bhayani MK. A Contemporary Analysis of Surgical Trends in the Treatment of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Oropharynx from 1998 to 2012: A Report from the National Cancer Database. Ann Surg Oncol 22 (13) :4422-31, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25893414.
- Gunn GB, Hansen CC, Garden AS, Fuller CD, Mohamed AS, Morrison WH, Frank SJ, Beadle BM, Phan J, Chronowski GM, Sturgis EM, Lewis CM, Lu C, Hutcheson KA, Mendoza TR, Cleeland CS, Rosenthal DI. Favorable patient reported outcomes following IMRT for early carcinomas of the tonsillar fossa: Results from a symptom assessment study. Radiother Oncol 117 (1) :132-8, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26403258.
- Walters RS, Albright HW, Weber RS, Feeley TW, Hanna EY, Cantor SB, Lewis CM, Burke TW. Developing a system to track meaningful outcome measures in head and neck cancer treatment. Head Neck 36 (2) :226-30, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23729280.
- Pena I, Bell DM, Lewis CM. Pathology quiz case 1. Primary cutaneous osteosarcoma of the left temple. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 139 (3) :315-7, 2013. PMID: 23657498.
- Lewis CM, Glisson BS, Feng L, Wan F, Tang X, Wistuba II, El-Naggar AK, Rosenthal DI, Chambers MS, Lustig RA, Weber RS. A Phase II Study of Gefitinib for Aggressive Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck. Clin Cancer Res 18 (5) :1435-46, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22261807.
- Liu C*, Lewis CM*, Lou Y, Xu C, Peng W, Yang Y, Gelbard AH, Lizée G, Zhou D, Overwijk WW, Hwu P. *These authors contributed equally.. Agonistic antibody to CD40 boosts the antitumor activity of adoptively transferred T cells in vivo. J Immunother 35 (3) :276-82, 2012. PMID: 22421945.
- Lewis CM, Chung WY, Holsinger FC. Feasibility and surgical approach of transaxillary robotic thyroidectomy without CO(2) insufflation. Head Neck 32 (1) :121-6, 2010. PMID: 19998442.
- Reh D, Lewis CM, Metson R. Frontal Bullosa: Diagnosis and Management of a New Variant of Frontal Mucocele. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 136 (6) :625-8, 2010. PMID: 20566916.
- Weber RS, Lewis CM, Eastman SD, Hanna EY, Akiwumi O, Hessel AC, Lai SY, Kian L, Kupferman ME, Roberts DB. Quality and Performance Indicators in an Academic Department of Head and Neck Surgery. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 136 (12) :1212-8, 2010. PMID: 21173370.
- Lewis CM, Bell DM, Lai SY. Pathology quiz case 2. Calcifying fibrous pseudotumor (CFT) of the oral cavity. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 136 (8) :841, 843-4, 2010. PMID: 20713769.
- Lewis CM, Hessel AC, Roberts DB, Guo YZ, Holsinger FC, Ginsberg LE, El-Naggar AK, Weber RS. Prereferral head and neck cancer treatment: compliance with national comprehensive cancer network treatment guidelines. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 136 (12) :1205-11, 2010. PMID: 21173369.
- Lewis CM, Weber RS. Standardizing treatment: a crisis in cancer care. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 46 (4) :671-9, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23910477.
- Lewis CM, Weber RS, Hanna EY. Quality of Care in Head and Neck Cancer. Curr Oncol Rep 13 (2) :120-5, 2011. PMID: 21207205.
- Holsinger FC, Sweeney AD, Jantharapattana K, Salem A, Weber RS, Chung WY, Lewis CM, Grant DG. The emergence of endoscopic head and neck surgery. Curr Oncol Rep 12 (3) :216-22, 2010. PMID: 20425082.
- Lewis CM, Nurgalieva Z, Lai SY, Sturgis E, Beadle BM, William WN, Weber RS. Head and Neck Cancer Multidisciplinary Conference: Improving patient outcomes. Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meeting (COSM), 2013.
- Lewis CM, Meade J, Moore J, Harris S, Philip P, Hebert H, Spears L, Hessel A, Hanna EY, Weber RS. Improving time from first contact to initial appointment for head and neck cancer patients. Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meeting (COSM), 2013.
- Lai SY, Rashmi R, Lewis CM, Hessel AC, Gidley PW, Skoracki R, Weber RS. Longitudinal analysis of morbidity and mortality conference data for head and neck cancer patients. Oral Presentation. 2013 AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting & OTO Expo, Vancouver, BC, 2013.
- Nurgalieva Z, Weber RS, Lai SY, Sturgis E, Beadle BM, William WN, Lewis CM. Adherence to head and neck cancer guidelines: Setting the stage for continual quality improvement. Poster Presentation. ASCO Quality Care Symposium, 2012.
- Nurgalieva Z, Weber RS, Lai SY, Sturgis E, Beadle BM, William WN, Lewis CM. Adherence to head and neck cancer guidelines: Multidisciplinary conference recommendations and treatment received. Poster Presentation. ASCO Quality Care Symposium, 2012.
- Lai SY, Williams MD, Chasen BA, Lewis CM, Hessel AC, Gillenwater AM, Rohren EM, Myers JN, Weber RS. 99m-Tc-Tilmanocept-Identified Sentinel Lymph Nodes Relative to the Pathological Status of Non-Sentinel Lymph Nodes in an Elective Neck Dissection in Cutaneous and Intraoral Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A Single Institutional Experience. 8th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, Toronto, Canada, 2012.
- Zheng G, Lewis CM, Dong W, Huang N, Rozner M. The Influences of Head and Neck Radiation Therapy on Intraoperative Hemodynamic Responses: A 10-year Data Review. The Journal of The American Society of Anesthesiologists, Inc. e-Pub 2014.
- Lewis CM, Nurgalieva Z, Lai SY, Weber RS. Adherence to head and neck cancer guidelines: Setting the stage for continual quality improvement. Journal of Clinical Oncology. e-Pub 2014.
- Lewis CM, Chinn SB, Holsinger FC, Weber RS. Cancers of the Larynx: Tis, T1. T2 Evaluation and Management. In: Head and Neck Cancer: Multimodality Management. 2. Springer International Publishing, 539-553, 2016.
- Lewis CM, Lai SY, Hessel AC, Weber RS. Head and Neck Cancer Care: Quality and Guidelines. In: Cancer of the Head and Neck. 5. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia, PA, 2016.
- Lewis CM, Hutcheson KA, Kupferman ME. Comparative Effectiveness in Head and Neck Malignancies. In: Comparative Effectiveness in Surgical Oncology: Key Questions and How to Answer Them. 1. Springer: New York, NY, 2015.
- Hutcheson KA, Lewis CM. Head and Neck Survivorship Management. In: Advances in Cancer Survivorship Management. 1. Springer: New York, 2015.
- Lewis CM, Weber RS. Lateral Neck Dissection: Technique. In: Surgery of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands. 2. Elsevier, Inc: Philadelphia, PA, 2013.
- Lewis CM, Weber RS. Base of Tongue Resection. In: Atlas of Otorhinolaryngological Surgery. 1. Jaypee Brothers: India, 2013.
- Lewis CM, Weber RS. Consensus guidelines. In: Personalized Management of Head and Neck Cancer. Future Medicine Ltd: England, 132-141, 2013.
- Lewis CM, Kupferman ME. Surgery of the Submandibular and Sublingual Glands. In: Mastery of Surgery. 6. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia, PA, 2012.
- Lewis CM, Laccourreye O, Weber RS, Holsinger FC. Cancers of the Larynx: Tis, T1, T2. Evaluation and Management. In: Head and Neck Cancer: Multimodality Management. 1. Springerlink: Willowick, OH, 2011.
- Lewis CM, Kupferman ME. Anatomy and Surgery of the Salivary Glands. In: Mastery of Surgery. 7. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
|Title:||Late Effects and Intervention Needs in Head & Neck Cancer Survivors|
|Funding Source:||American Cancer Society (ACS)|
|Funding Source:||Stiefel Oropharyngeal Research Fund|
|Title:||Optimizing Post-Treatment Surveillance of Head and Neck Cancer|
|Funding Source:||UTMD Anderson Cancer Survivorship Program|