About Dr. Cameron
I am the Associate Director of the MD Anderson Cancer Prevention Research Training Program (CPRTP) and Associate Professor in the Department of Behavioral Science. In my role in the CPRTP, I mentor junior scientists in cancer prevention research and coordinate two graduate level courses through the UT Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. For the NIGMS U01 grant "Building a Diverse Biomedical Workforce through Communication Across Differences," as contact principal investigator, I will oversee all aspects of the program, create and implement tailored educational and career development programming, and lead the research for the program. I am uniquely qualified to serve as part of this program. My experience includes serving as contact PI on an IPERT R25, "Scientific Communication Advances Research Excellence" (GM 125640) mentor training program, implemented and tested at 4 sites nationwide, as well as serving as MPI on the preceding NIGMS R01 study of the mechanisms by which trainee SciComm skills predict intention to persist in research careers. I am trained as a linguist and have dedicated my career to language use in the research setting. I have authored multiple peer-reviewed publications on these topics in respected journals such as Academic Medicine and CBE Life Sciences Education. My efforts in education, research training, and mentoring have been recognized with the UT Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award, membership in the UT Academy of Health Science Educators, and designation at UT Distinguished Teaching Professor. I serve on the Graduate Education Committee, served as past chair of the MD Anderson Postdoctoral Advisory Committee and am active in institutional-level and extramural RCR and Rigor and Reproducibility education activities.
Present Title & Affiliation
Associate Professor, Department of Behavioral Science, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Associate Professor, The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
Adjunct Associate Professor, The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX
Scientific communication, oral and written
Publication ethics; Rigor & Reproducibility
Biomedical and biobehavioral research training and education
Career development for research trainees
Experience & Service
Associate Director, Cancer Prevention Research Training Program, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2019
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Graduate Education Committee, 2017 - 2020
Honors & Awards
|2019||Adolphus Tolivar Award for Innovation in Research, Understanding Interventions that Broaden Participation in Research Careers|
|2019||Leading Mentor in Cancer Prevention, Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Science, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, nominee|
|2018||President's Recognition for Faculty Excellence, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2017||Innovations in Research and Research Education Award, Association of American Medical Colleges|
|2015||Faculty Educator of the Month, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2015||President’s Recognition for Faculty Excellence, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2015||The University of Texas Distinguished Teaching Professor, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
- Diao K, Kizub DA, Ausat N, Mwaba CK, Anakwenze Akinfenwa CP, Cameron CA, Chiao EY, Lombe DC, Msadabwe SC, Lin LL. Perspectives of Zambian Clinical Oncology Trainees in the MD Anderson and Zambia Virtual Clinical Research Training Program (MOZART). Oncologist 27(10):e804-e810, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35689473.
- Diao K, Lombe DC, Mwaba CK, Wu J, Kizub DA, Cameron CA, Chiao EY, Msadabwe SC, Lin LL. Building Capacity for Cancer Research in the Era of COVID-19: Implementation and Results From an International Virtual Clinical Research Training Program in Zambia. JCO Glob Oncol 8:e2100372, 2022. PMID: 35594499.
- Dahlstrom EK, Bell C, Chang S, Lee HY, Anderson CB, Pham A, Pribbenow CM, Cameron CA. Translating mentoring interventions research into practice: Evaluation of an evidence-based workshop for research mentors on developing trainees' scientific communication skills. PLoS One 17(2):e0262418, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35108289.
- Fullwood D, Cameron C, Means S, Anton S, Stickley ZL, Hale R, Wilkie DJ. Prevalence of violent advertisements in New York City subways. Health Promot Perspect 11(2):219-229, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34195046.
- Cameron C, Lee HY, Anderson CB, Trachtenberg J, Chang S. The role of scientific communication in predicting science identity and research career intention. PLoS One 15(2):e0228197, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32074107.
- Lee HY, Anderson CB, Trachtenberg JE, Chang S, Cameron C. Validation of a Scale for Mentoring Practices Specific to Scientific Communication among Trainees. UI Journal 9(2), 2018. e-Pub 2018.
- Trachtenberg JE, Lee HY, Anderson C, Chang S, Cameron C. Do You Speak Science? Dialect and its Role in Research Training. UI Journal 9(1), 2018.
- Yates MS, Chang S, Lee HY, Faupel-Badger J, Cameron C. Bringing cancer prevention research competencies to the classroom. J Cancer Educ 33(1):109-115, 2018. PMID: 27325275.
- Tsai GJ, Cameron CA, Czerwinski JL, Mendez-Figueroa H, Peterson SK, Noblin SJ. Attitudes Towards Prenatal Genetic Counseling, Prenatal Genetic Testing, and Termination of Pregnancy Among Southeast and East Asian Women in the United States. J Genet Couns 26(5):1041-1058, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28251433.
- Zhao H, Hei N, Wu Y, Chan W, Lei X, Cameron C, Chang S, Chavez-MacGregor M, Giordano SH. Initiation of and Adherence to Tamoxifen and Aromatase Inhibitor Therapy Among Elderly Women with Ductal Carcinoma In Situ. Cancer 123(6):940-947, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27780311.
- Rieger E, Aggarwal P, Cameron C. Scientific Elevator Speeches: A Communication and Critical Thinking Tool. Med Educ 51(5):559, 2017. PMID: 28394051.
- Anderson CB, Lee HY, Byars-Winston A, Baldwin CD, Cameron C, Chang S. Assessment of Scientific Communication Self-efficacy, Interest, and Outcome Expectations for Career Development in Academic Medicine. J Career Assess 24(1):182-196, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26924920.
- Reeves KW, Tehranifar P, Crane TE, Ko LK, Cameron C, Hamilton JG, Lavigne JA, Reiter PL, Thomson CA. Job Talks and Interviews: How to Stand Out and Fit In: A Report from the American Society of Preventive Oncology Junior Members Interest Group. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 25(1):224-5, 2016. PMID: 26762809.
- Cameron C, Lee HY, Anderson C, Byars-Winston A, Baldwin CD, Chang S. The Role of Scientific Communication Skills in Trainees' Intention to Pursue Biomedical Research Careers: A Social Cognitive Analysis. CBE Life Sci Educ 14(4):ar46, 2015. PMID: 26628562.
- Cameron C, Collie CL, Baldwin CD, Bartholomew LK, Palmer JL, Greer M, Chang S. The Development of Scientific Communication Skills: A Qualitative Study of the Perceptions of Trainees and Their Mentors. Acad Med 88(10):1499-506, 2013. PMID: 23969363.
- Cameron C, Collie CL, Chang S. Introducing Students to Cancer Prevention Careers through Programmed Summer Research Experiences. J Cancer Educ 27(2):233-42, 2012. PMID: 22147335.
- Sulik GA, Cameron C, Chamberlain RM. The Future of the Cancer Prevention Workforce: Why Health Literacy, Advocacy, and Stakeholder Collaborations Matter. J Cancer Educ 27(S2):165-172, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22311694.
- Chang S, Cameron C. Addressing the future burden of cancer and its impact on the oncology workforce: where is cancer prevention and control?. J Cancer Educ 27(S2):S118-27, 2012. PMID: 22367593.
- Cameron C, Zhao H, McHugh MK. Perspective: Publication Ethics and the Emerging Scientific Workforce: Understanding "Plagiarism" in a Global Context. Acad Med 87(1):51-4, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22104051.
- Correa-Fernández V, Davila M, Kamrudin SA, Li DH, Noor SW, Oluyomi AO, Chang S, Cameron C. Educating Cancer Prevention Researchers in Emerging Bio-Behavioral Models: Lessons Learned. * indicates Co first authors. J Cancer Educ 26(4):633-640, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21720937.
- Cameron C, Chang S, Pagel W. Scientific English: A Program for Addressing Linguistic Barriers of International Research Trainees in the United States. J Cancer Educ 26(1):72-8, 2011. PMID: 20623348.
- Cameron C, Deming SP, Notzon B, Cantor SB, Broglio KR, Pagel W. Scientific writing training for academic physicians of diverse language backgrounds. Acad Med 84(4):505-510, 2009. PMID: 19318790.
- Cameron C. Bridging the Gap: Working Productively with ESL Authors. Science Editor 30(2):43-44, 2007.
- Cameron C. Cultural Competence and Patient Safety. Focus on Patient Safety 2(3):3,6, 1999.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Cameron C, Deming S. Writing Abstracts, interactive online lesson: The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2006.
- Cameron C, Fertelmeyster T, Yuzhakova S. Cultural Detective: Russia. Nipporica Associates, 2004.
- Cameron C. Training manual for Texas Children's Health Plan Cross-cultural Training, 1999.
- Cameron C. Training manual for Negotiating Across Cultures: Watershed Associates, 1998.
- Cameron C. Training Manual for Japan Cross-cultural Training: NASA Johnson Space Center / International Space Station, 1995.
- Cameron C, Spicer K, Eigler A, Delgado M. Training manual for Ryan White-funded Harris County HIV/AIDS Diversity Training: Multicultural Health Care Solutions, 1995.
- Jones SD, Cameron C. Training Manual for Russia Cross-cultural Training: NASA Johnson Space Center / International Space Station, 1994.
- Faupel-Badger J, Cameron C, Chang S. Invigorating Cancer Prevention: Proposing Core Competencies in Cancer Prevention Research Training. J Cancer Educ 29(1):6-8, 2014. PMID: 23872950.
- Cameron C, Soliman A, Chang S. Mentor, Educator, Friend: A Tribute to Robert Chamberlain. Journal of Cancer Education Workforce Supplement 27(S2):115-117, 2012.
- Cameron C*, Chang S*, Chamberlain RM*, * indicates co-first authors. Raising Student Awareness of Cancer Prevention Careers. European Association Cancer Education 25th Annual Scientific Meeting, 2012.
- Cameron C. Cross-cultural Issues in Mentoring Early Career Cancer Researchers. European Association Cancer Education 25th Annual Scientific Meeting, 2012.
- Cameron C, Collie CL, Anderson C, Bakken L, Baldwin C, Byars-Winston A, Chamberlain RM, Greer M, Pagel W, Palmer L, Passeretti A, Pfund C, Chang S. Developing Scientific Communication Skills: Diverging Mentor and Trainee Perspectives. AACE Buffalo NY, 2011.
- Zhao H, Carnes K, Cameron C, Chang S. Ethical training in authorship and peer review for postdoctoral fellows at a comprehensive cancer center. Journal of Cancer Education 24, 2009.
- Cameron C, Zhao H, Apted J, Chamberlain RM, Chang S. Mentor-trainee communication in science: Moving from art to science. Journal of Cancer Education 24, 2009.
Letters to the Editor
- Chang S, Baldwin CD, Cameron C. Mentoring mentors in scientific communication for trainees. Acad Med 90: 265, 2015.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||Cancer Prevention Education: Student Research Experiences|
|Title:||MD Anderson CPRIT Prevention Research Training Program|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||Scientific Communication Advances Research Excellence|
|Title:||Building a Diverse Biomedical Workforce through Communication Across Difference|