About Dr. Daniel-MacDougall
The primary goal of my research program is to refine and inform evidence-based dietary recommendations for cancer prevention, cancer patients, and cancer survivors. As a nutritional epidemiologist, much of my previous work focused on identifying diet-related risk or protective factors in large, prospective cohorts of healthy individuals followed for the development of cancer. At MD Anderson, I am shifting toward more patient-centered projects, targeting diet and the microbiome (NCT02843425, NCT03950635). Prior experience in wet-lab and clinical research has significantly enriched my career as an epidemiologist and translational scientist. Continually learning from my clinical and bench science colleagues, I strive to address questions from every angle, considering the biological mechanisms, as well as the potential clinical and public health implications.
Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Faculty Director, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Bionutrition Research Core, Houston, TX
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Division of Epidemiology, Human Genetics & Environmental Sciences, The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX
Regular Member, The University of Texas Graduate School Of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
The role of diet, energy balance, inflammation, and chronic conditions in cancer risk, treatment, and survival; Dietary assessment methodology; Biomarker-driven clinical/intervention trials; The oral and gut microbiome; International and minority populations where new and unique modifiable risk (or protective) factors may be identified
|2008||Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA, PHD, Nutritional Epidemiology, Nutrition and Health Sciences Program, Division of Biological and Biomedical Sciences|
|2005||Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA, MPH, Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health|
|2002||University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA, BS, Molecular and Cellular Biology|
|2008-2012||Research Fellowship, Nutritional Epidemiology, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD|
Post-doctoral Fellow, Division of Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD, 2008 - 2012
Pre-doctoral Fellow, Department of Epidemiology and Surveillance Research, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA, 2007 - 2008
|2018||Leading Mentor in Cancer Prevention, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2017||Leading Mentor in Cancer Prevention nominee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2017||Early Career Scholar Travel Award, Sackler Colloquium, National Academy of Sciences, John Templeton Foundation, University of Alabama at Birmingham|
|2015||USA Eisenhower Fellowship nominee (deferred)|
|2010||Fellows Award for Research Excellence, National Institutes of Health|
|2008||Cancer Research Training Award Fellowship, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health|
|2005||Division Scholar Fellowship, Division of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Graduate School of Arts of Sciences, Emory University|
|2000||Undergraduate Research Grant, University of Arizona Honors College and Steele Children's Research Center|
|1998||John P. Shaeffer, Provost, and Spirit of Discovery Scholarships, University of Arizona|
- Zheng J, Stuff J, Tang H, Hassan MM, Daniel CR, Li D. Dietary N-nitroso compounds and risk of pancreatic cancer: results from a large case-control study. Carcinogenesis 40(2):254-262, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30475991.
- Gregg JR, Lopez DS, Reichard C, Zheng J, Wu W, Ye Y, Chapin B, Kim J, Daniel CR, Davis J. Coffee, Caffeine Metabolism Genotype, and Disease Progression in Localized Prostate Cancer Patients Managed with Active Surveillance. J Urol 201(2):308-314, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30179617.
- Gregg JR, Zheng J, Lopez DS, Reichard C, Browman G, Chapin B, Kim J, Davis J, Daniel CR. Diet quality and Gleason grade progression among localised prostate cancer patients on active surveillance. Br J Cancer 120(4):466-471, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30679782.
- McQuade JL,Daniel CR, Hess KR, Mak C, Wang DY, Rai RR, Park JJ, Haydu LE, Spencer C, Wongchenko M, Lane S, Lee DY, Kaper M, McKean M, Beckermann KE, Rubinstein SM, Rooney I, Musib L, Budha N, Hsu J, Nowicki TS, Avila A, Haas T, Puligandla M, Lee S, Fang S, Wargo JA, Gershenwald JE, Lee JE, Hwu P, Chapman PB, Sosman JA, Schadendorf D, Grob JJ, Flaherty KT, Walker D, Yan Y, McKenna E, Legos JJ, Carlino MS, Ribas A, Kirkwood JM, Long GV, Johnson DB, Menzies AM, Davies MA. Association of body-mass index and outcomes in patients with metastatic melanoma treated with targeted therapy, immunotherapy, or chemotherapy: a retrospective, multicohort analysis. Lancet Oncol 19(3):310-322, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29449192.
- Gopalakrishnan V, Spencer CN, Nezi L, Reuben A, Andrews MC, Karpinets TV, Prieto PA, Vicente D, Hoffman K, Wei SC, Cogdill AP, Zhao L, Hudgens CW, Hutchinson DS, Manzo T, Petaccia de Macedo M, Cotechini T, Kumar T, Chen WS, Reddy SM, Szczepaniak Sloane R, Galloway-Pena J, Jiang H, Chen PL, Shpall EJ, Rezvani K, Alousi AM, Chemaly RF, Shelburne S, Vence LM, Okhuysen PC, Jensen VB, Swennes AG, McAllister F, Marcelo Riquelme Sanchez E, Zhang Y, Le Chatelier E, Zitvogel L, Pons N, Austin-Breneman JL, Haydu LE, Burton EM, Gardner JM, Sirmans E, Hu J, Lazar AJ, Tsujikawa T, Diab A, Tawbi H, Glitza IC, Hwu WJ, Patel SP, Woodman SE, Amaria RN, Davies MA, Gershenwald JE, Hwu P, Lee JE, Zhang J, Coussens LM, Cooper ZA, Futreal PA, Daniel CR, Ajami NJ, Petrosino JF, Tetzlaff MT, Sharma P, Allison JP, Jenq RR, Wargo JA. Gut microbiome modulates response to anti-PD-1 immunotherapy in melanoma patients. Science 359(6371):97-103, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29097493.
- Hoffman KL, Hutchinson DS, Fowler J, Smith DP, Ajami NJ, Zhao H, Scheet P, Chow WH, Petrosino JF, Daniel CR. Oral microbiota reveals signs of acculturation in Mexican American women. PLoS One 13(4):e0194100, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29694348.
- Zhao H, Shen J, Daniel-MacDougall C, Wu X, Chow WH. Plasma MicroRNA signature predicting weight gain among Mexican-American women. Obesity (Silver Spring) 25(5):958-964, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28342299.
- Chow WH, Chrisman M, Daniel CR, Ye Y, Gomez H, Dong Q, Anderson CE, Chang S, Strom S, Zhao H, Wu X. Cohort Profile: The Mexican American Mano a Mano Cohort. Int J Epidemiol 46(2):e3, 2017. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25747868.
- Zhao H, Shen J, Djukovic D, Daniel-MacDougall C, Gu H, Wu X, Chow WH. Metabolomics-identified metabolites associated with body mass index and prospective weight gain among Mexican American women. Obes Sci Pract 2(3):309-317, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27708848.
- Anderson C, Zhao H, Daniel CR, Hromi-Fiedler A, Dong Q, Elhor Gbito KY, Wu X, Chow WH. Acculturation and Diabetes Risk in the Mexican American Mano a Mano Cohort. Am J Public Health 106(3):547-9, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26794174.
- Melkonian SC, Daniel CR, Ye Y, Pierzynski JA, Roth JA, Wu X. Glycemic Index, Glycemic Load, and Lung Cancer Risk in Non-Hispanic Whites. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 25(3):532-9, 2016. PMID: 26944871.
- Melkonian SC, Daniel CR, Ye Y, Tannir NM, Karam JA, Matin SF, Wood CG, Wu X. Gene-environment interaction of genome-wide association study-identified susceptibility loci and meat-cooking mutagens in the etiology of renal cell carcinoma. Cancer 122(1):108-15, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26551148.
- Daniel CR, Shu X, Ye Y, Gu J, Raju GS, Kopetz S, Wu X. Severe obesity prior to diagnosis limits survival in colorectal cancer patients evaluated at a large cancer centre. Br J Cancer 114(1):103-9, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26679375.
- Shah MS, Fogelman DR, Raghav KP, Heymach JV, Tran HT, Jiang ZQ, Kopetz S, Daniel CR. Joint prognostic effect of obesity and chronic systemic inflammation in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Cancer 121(17):2968-75, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25975416.
- Melkonian SC, Daniel CR, Hildebrandt MA, Tannir NM, Ye Y, Chow WH, Wood CG, Wu X. Joint association of genome-wide association study-identified susceptibility Loci and dietary patterns in risk of renal cell carcinoma among non-Hispanic whites. Am J Epidemiol 180(5):499-507, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25053674.
- Daniel CR, Kapur K, McAdams MJ, Dixit-Joshi S, Devasenapathy N, Shetty H, Hariharan S, George PS, Mathew A, Sinha R. Development of a field-friendly automated dietary assessment tool and nutrient database for India. Br J Nutr 111(1):1-12, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23796477.
- Daniel CR, Park Y, Chow WH, Graubard BI, Hollenbeck AR, Sinha R. Intake of fiber and fiber-rich plant foods is associated with a lower risk of renal cell carcinoma in a large US cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 97(5):1036-43, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23515007.
- Dellavalle CT, Daniel CR, Aschebrook-Kilfoy B, Hollenbeck AR, Cross AJ, Sinha R, Ward MH. Dietary intake of nitrate and nitrite and risk of renal cell carcinoma in the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study. Br J Cancer 108(1):205-12, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23169285.
- Moore SC, Gunter MJ, Daniel CR, Reddy KS, George PS, Yurgalevitch S, Devasenapathy N, Ramakrishnan L, Chatterjee N, Chanock SJ, Berndt SI, Mathew A, Prabhakaran D, Sinha R. Common Genetic Variants and Central Adiposity Among Asian-Indians. Obesity (Silver Spring) 20(9):1902-8, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21799482.
- Sinha R, Cross AJ, Daniel CR, Graubard BI, Wu JW, Hollenbeck AR, Gunter MJ, Park Y, Freedman ND. Caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee and tea intakes and risk of colorectal cancer in a large prospective study. Am J Clin Nutr 96(2):374-81, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22695871.
- Daniel CR, Sinha R, Park Y, Graubard BI, Hollenbeck AR, Morton LM, Cross AJ. Meat intake is not associated with risk of non-hodgkin lymphoma in a large prospective cohort of U.S. men and women. J Nutr 142(6):1074-80, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22535761.
- Daniel CR, Cross AJ, Graubard BI, Park Y, Ward MH, Rothman N, Hollenbeck AR, Chow WH, Sinha R. Large prospective investigation of meat intake, related mutagens, and risk of renal cell carcinoma. Am J Clin Nutr 95(1):155-62, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22170360.
- Daniel CR, Cross AJ, Graubard BI, Hollenbeck AR, Park Y, Sinha R. Prospective investigation of poultry and fish intake in relation to cancer risk. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 4(11):1903-11, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21803982.
- Daniel CR, Schwartz KL, Colt JS, Dong LM, Ruterbusch JJ, Purdue MP, Cross AJ, Rothman N, Davis FG, Wacholder S, Graubard BI, Chow WH, Sinha R. Meat-cooking mutagens and risk of renal cell carcinoma. Br J Cancer 105(7):1096-104, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21897389.
- Mathew A, Daniel CR, Ferrucci LM, Seth T, Devesa SS, George PS, Shetty H, Devasenapathy N, Yurgalevitch S, Rastogi T, Prabhakaran D, Gupta PC, Chatterjee N, Sinha R. Assessment of follow-up, and the completeness and accuracy of cancer case ascertainment in three areas of India. Cancer Epidemiol 35(4):334-41, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21621499.
- Sinha R, Daniel CR, Devasenapathy N, Shetty H, Yurgalevitch S, Ferrucci LM, George PS, Morrissey KG, Ramakrishnan L, Graubard BI, Kapur K, Reddy KS, McAdams MJ, Rastogi T, Chatterjee N, Gupta PC, Wacholder S, Prabhakaran D, Mathew AA. Multi-center feasibility study evaluating recruitment, variability in risk factors and biomarkers for a diet and cancer cohort in India. BMC Public Health 11:405, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21619649.
- Daniel CR, Cross AJ, Koebnick C, Sinha R. Trends in meat consumption in the USA. Public Health Nutr 14(4):575-83, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21070685.
- Ahearn TU, McCullough ML, Flanders WD, Long Q, Sidelnikov E, Fedirko V, Daniel CR, Rutherford RE, Shaukat A, Bostick RM. A randomized clinical trial of the effects of supplemental calcium and vitamin D3 on markers of their metabolism in normal mucosa of colorectal adenoma patients. Cancer Res 71(2):413-23, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21084270.
- Daniel CR, Prabhakaran D, Kapur K, Graubard BI, Devasenapathy N, Ramakrishnan L, George PS, Shetty H, Ferrucci LM, Yurgalevitch S, Chatterjee N, Reddy KS, Rastogi T, Gupta PC, Mathew A, Sinha R. A cross-sectional investigation of regional patterns of diet and cardio-metabolic risk in India. Nutr J 10:12, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21276235.
- Daniel CR, McCullough ML, Patel RC, Jacobs EJ, Flanders WD, Thun MJ, Calle EE. Dietary intake of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids and risk of colorectal cancer in a prospective cohort of U.S. men and women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18(2):516-25, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19190143.
- Daniel CR, Bostick RM, Flanders WD, Long Q, Fedirko V, Sidelnikov E, Seabrook ME. TGF-alpha expression as a potential biomarker of risk within the normal-appearing colorectal mucosa of patients with and without incident sporadic adenoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18(1):65-73, 2009. PMID: 19124482.
- Palacios C, Daniel CR, Tirado-Gómez M, Gonzalez-Mercado V, Vallejo L, Lozada J, Ortiz A, Hughes DC, Basen-Engquist K. Dietary Patterns in Puerto Rican and Mexican-American Breast Cancer Survivors: A Pilot Study. J Immigr Minor Health. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26984227.
- McQuade JL, Daniel CR, Helmink BA, Wargo JA. Modulating the microbiome to improve therapeutic response in cancer. Lancet Oncol 20(2):e77-e91, 2019. PMID: 30712808.
- Wallace TC, Bultman S, D'Adamo C, Daniel CR, Debelius J, Ho E, Eliassen H, Lemanne D, Mukherjee P, Seyfried TN, Tian Q, Vahdat LT. Personalized Nutrition in Disrupting Cancer - Proceedings From the 2017 American College of Nutrition Annual Meeting. J Am Coll Nutr 38(1):1-14, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30511901.
- Daniel CR, Hoffman KL, Raju G.S., Hanash SM, Hutchinson DS, Ajami NJ, Fowler RG, Browman GJ, Sood A, Scheet PA, Wu X, Petrosino JF. Evidence of early colorectal cancer risk and prevention pathways in the fecal microbiome of colonoscopy patients: Associations with diet and circulating adipocytokines. AACR Annual Meeting, 2017.
- Daniel CR, Hoffman KL, Sood A, Raju G.S., Hanash SM, Wu X, Petrosino JF. Diet quantity versus quality in relation to the fecal microbiome among colonoscopy patients. AACR Colorectal Cancer: From Initiation to Outcomes, 2016.
- Sood A, Hoffman KL, Raju G.S., Wu X, Hanash SM, Petrosino JF, Daniel CR. Early risk signatures in the fecal microbiota of colonoscopy patients. International Human Microbiome Consortium 6th Congress, 2016.
- Schembre SS, Hoffman KL, Versace F, Petrosino JF, Daniel CR. Hedonic eating and the microbiome in humans. 29th European College of Neuropsychopharmacology Congress, 2016.
- Hoffman KL, Chow WH, Smith DP, Zhang J, Hutchinson DS, Ajami NJ, Petrosino JF, Daniel CR.. Oral microbiome predicts 5-yr significant weight gain in Mexican-American women. 2016 Keystone Symposium on Gut Microbiota, Metabolic Disorders and Beyond, 2016.
|Title:||Molecular Pathways Linking Obesity and RCC Tumorigeneis (PQ1)|
|Title:||Gut Microbiome: integrating risk pathways in obesity and colorectal neoplasia|
|Funding Source:||Duncan Family Institute|
|Title:||Next generation sequencing to identify novel colorectal cancer genes|
|Title:||The Beans to Enrich the Gut microbiome vs. Obesity's Negative Effects (BE GONE) Pilot Trial|
|Funding Source:||Institutional Research Grant|
|Title:||Discovery of Risk Loci and Genomics of Pancreatic Cancer through Exome Sequencing|
|Title:||BioNutrition Research Core|
|Funding Source:||Duncan Family Institute Strategic Initiative|
|Title:||BE GONE Trial: Beans to Enrich the Gut of Obese Colorectal Cancer Survivors|
|Funding Source:||American Cancer Society (ACS)|
|Title:||Molecular, Immune and Clinical Significance of Obesity in Advanced Melanoma|
|Funding Source:||Conquer Cancer Foundation|
|Title:||Diet, mental health, and the microbiome in response to immunotherapy|
|Funding Source:||Melanoma Research Alliance|