About Dr. Tzeng
Dr. Ching-Wei Tzeng is an Associate Professor of Surgical Oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center, specializing in the treatment of hepato-pancreato-biliary (HPB) cancers. He serves in the roles of Department Vice Chair of Clinical Operations, Program Director for the HPB Surgery Fellowship and member of the Program Education Committee of the Surgical Oncology Fellowship. His surgical society roles include chairing the SSAT Program Committee and serving on the AHPBA Education and Training Committee, AHPBA Program Directors Committee, and the Fellowship Council Membership Committee. His clinical research focuses on perioperative quality improvement, cancer surgery standards, quality of life measures, and patient-centered opioid reduction protocols, for which he was named a 2021 Andrew Sabin Family Foundation Fellow. Dr. Tzeng is also an educator dedicated to the training of fellows, residents, and students, and has been recognized with multiple teaching awards, including the 2021 University of Texas Regents’ Outstanding Teaching Award and the 2022 Department of Surgical Oncology Outstanding Teaching Award for Research.
Present Title & Affiliation
Associate Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Dr. Tzeng’s clinical research interests including improving short- and long-term patient outcomes after major oncologic surgery and maximizing completion of multimodality therapy for high-risk gastrointestinal cancers. He has received research awards from the SSO, AHPBA, SSAT, and Pancreas Club, for his HPB surgical oncology research. He is also interested in improving value in cancer care and optimizing the entire cancer care continuum from diagnosis to post-treatment surveillance. He is an active collaborator in translational research projects targeting early detection and biomarker-driven surveillance strategies. He is dedicated to the education of fellows and residents and has been recognized with resident teaching awards for his efforts.
Education & Training
|2003||University of Alabama School of Medicine (UASOM), Birmingham, AL, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1999||Auburn University (AU), Auburn, AL, USA, BS, Chemical Engineering|
|2012-2013||Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary (HPB) Surgery Fellowship, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2010-2012||Clinical Fellowship, Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC), Houston, TX|
|2005-2007||NIH/NRSA T-32 Surgical Oncology Research Fellowship, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL|
|2003-2010||General Surgery Residency, University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), Birmingham, AL|
|2014||Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (Certificate)|
|2012||Society of Surgical Oncology (Certificate)|
|2010||American Board of Surgery|
Experience & Service
Assistant Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2016 - 2019
Assistant Professor, Division of Surgery, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY, 2013 - 2016
General Surgeon/Surgical Oncologist, Lexington VA Medical Center, Lexington, KY, 2013 - 2016
Associate Program Director, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 2014 - 2016
Administrative Chief Resident, Department of Surgery, UAB, Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, 2009 - 2010
Honors & Awards
|2021||Andrew Sabin Family Fellowship Program, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2021||University of Texas System Regents Outstanding Teaching Award|
|2020||Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award for Research, Department of Surgical Oncology|
|2019||2019 Top Performer, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS)|
|2018||European Society of Surgical Oncology Observership, Society of Surgical Oncology|
|2016||UK Department of Surgery “Ben Eiseman Teaching Award” for Resident Education (highest teaching award based on resident evaluations), University of Kentucky College of Medicine|
|2015||UK General Surgery “Chief Residents’ Award” (top teaching award voted by chiefs), University of Kentucky College of Medicine|
|2015||UK Dept. of Surgery Faculty Teaching Award (award based on resident/student evaluations), University of Kentucky College of Medicine|
|2013||Department of Surgical Oncology Lotzova Fellowship Research Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2013||Trainee Research Day Oral Presentation Winner in Patient-Oriented Research, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2013||SSAT Annual Residents and Fellows Research Conference Best Oral Presentation Award and Best of DDW Abstract, Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract|
|2013||SSO Resident/Fellow Essay Award for Best Clinical Research Paper, Society of Surgical Oncology|
|2013||PANCAN Oral Presentation Award, Pancreas Club|
|2012||Surgical Oncology Mid-Level Providers Teamwork/Patient Care Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2012||Trainee Research Day Oral Presentation Winner in Patient-Oriented Research, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2012||Marion D. Edwards Fellowship Award in Hepatic Cancer, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2012||AHPBA Young Investigator Award Winner, Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association|
|2010||General Surgery Residency Academic Achievement Award, University of Alabama at Birmingham|
|2009||General Surgery Residency Academic Achievement Award, University of Alabama at Birmingham|
|2007||SSO Harvey Baker Traveling Fellow Award, Society of Surgical Oncology|
|2007||SSO Resident/Fellow Essay Award for Best Basic Science Research Paper, Society of Surgical Oncology|
|2007||General Surgery Residency Academic Achievement Award, University of Alabama at Birmingham|
|2003||Birmingham Campus Achievement Award for Clinical Performance, University of Alabama School of Medicine|
|2002||Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, University of Alabama School of Medicine|
- Gaskill CE, Maxwell J, Ikoma N, Kim MP, Tzeng CW, Lee JE, Katz MHG. History of preoperative therapy for pancreatic cancer and the MD Anderson experience. J Surg Oncol 123(6):1414-1422, 2021. PMID: 33831256.
- Tzeng CWD, Tran Cao, HS, Roland CL, Teshome M, Bednarski BK, Ikoma N, Graham PH, Keung EZ, Scally CP, Katz MHG, Gershenwald JE, Lee JE, Vauthey JN. Surgical decision-making and prioritization for cancer patients at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic: A multidisciplinary approach. Surg Oncol 34:182-185, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32891326.
- Perri G, Prakash L, Qiao W, Varadhachary G, Wolff R, Fogelman D, Overman M, Pant S, Jvale M, Koay EJ, Herman J, Kim, M, Ikoma N, Tzeng CW, Lee JE, Katz MHG. Response to and survival after first-line FOLFIRINOX or gemcitabine/nab-paclitaxel for localized pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. JAMA Surg 155(9):832-839, 2020. PMID: 32667641.
- Okuno M, Goumard C, Kopetz S, Vega EA, Joechle K, Mizuno T, Omichi K, Tzeng CD, Chun YS, Vauthey JN, Conrad C. RAS mutation is associated with unsalvageable recurrence following hepatectomy for colorectal cancer liver metastases. Ann Surg Oncol 25(8):2457-2466, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29786130.
- Joechle K, Goumard C, Vega EA, Okuno M, Chun YS, Tzeng CD, Vauthey JN, Conrad C. Long-term survival after post-hepatectomy liver failure for colorectal liver metastases. HPB (Oxford) 21(3):361-369, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30100391.
- Snyder RA, Prakash LR, Nogueras-Gonzalez GM, Kim MP, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN, Lee JE, Fleming JB, Katz MHG, Tzeng CW. Vein resection during pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: patency rates and outcomes associated with thrombosis. J Surg Oncol 117(8):1648-1654, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29723419.
- Vega EA, Yamashita S, Chun YS, Kim M, Fleming JB, Katz MH, Tzeng CW, Raghav KP, Vauthey JN, Lee JE, Conrad C. Effective laparoscopic management lymph node dissection for gallbladder cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 24(7):1852, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28168387.
- Abbott DE, Tzeng CW, McMillan MT, Callery MP, Kent TS, Christein JD, Behrman SW, Schauer DP, Hanseman DJ, Eckman MH, Vollmer CM. Pancreas fistula risk prediction: implications for hospital costs and payments. HPB (Oxford) 19(2):154-161, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27884544.
- Le AT, Harris JW, Maynard E, Dineen SP, Tzeng CWD. Thromboelastography demonstrates perioperative hypercoagulability in hepato-pancreato-biliary patients and supports routine administration of preoperative and early postoperative venous thromboembolism chemoprophylaxis. HPB 19(2):154-161, 2017.
- Saeed H, Hnoosh D, Huang B, Durbin EB, McGrath PC, Desimone P, Maynard E, Anthony LB, Dineen SP, Hosein PJ, Tzeng CW. Defining the optimal timing of adjuvant therapy for resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma: A statewide cancer registry analysis. J Surg Oncol 114(4):451-5, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27238300.
- Vilchez V, Turcios L, Zaytseva Y, Stewart R, Lee EY, Maynard E, Shah MB, Daily MF, Tzeng CW, Davenport D, Castellanos AL, Krohmer S, Hosein PJ, Evers BM, Gedaly R. Cancer stem cell marker expression alone and in combination with microvascular invasion predicts poor prognosis in patients undergoing transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma. Am J Surg 212(2):238-45, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27033253.
- Zimmitti G, Soliz J, Aloia TA, Gottumukkala V, Cata JP, Tzeng CW, Vauthey JN. Positive impact of epidural analgesia on oncologic outcomes in patients undergoing resection of colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg Oncol 23(3):1003-11, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26511261.
- Labori KJ, Katz MH, Tzeng CW, Bjørnbeth BA, Cvancarova M, Edwin B, Kure EH, Eide TJ, Dueland S, Buanes T, Gladhaug IP. Impact of early disease progression and surgical complications on adjuvant chemotherapy completion rates and survival in patients undergoing the surgery first approach for resectable pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma - A population-based cohort study. Acta Oncol 55(3):265-77, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26213211.
- Vilchez V, Shah MB, Daily MF, Pena L, Tzeng CW, Davenport D, Hosein PJ, Gedaly R, Maynard E. Long-term outcome of patients undergoing liver transplantation for mixed hepatocellular carcinoma and cholangiocarcinoma: an analysis of the UNOS database. HPB (Oxford) 18(1):29-34, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26776848.
- Roland CL, Katz MH, Tzeng CW, Lin H, Varadhachary GR, Shroff R, Javle M, Fogelman D, Wolff RA, Vauthey JN, Crane CH, Lee JE, Fleming JB. The addition of postoperative chemotherapy is associated with improved survival in patients with pancreatic cancer treated with preoperative therapy. Ann Surg Oncol 22 Suppl 3:S1221-8, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26350371.
- Khushman M, Dempsey N, Maldonado JC, Loaiza-Bonilla A, Velez M, Carcas L, Dammrich D, Hurtado-Cordovi J, Parajuli R, Pollack T, Harwood AP, Macintyre J, Tzeng CW, Merchan JR, Restrepo MH, Akunyili II, Ribeiro A, Narayanan G, Portelance L, Sleeman D, Levi JU, Lima CM, Hosein PJ. Full dose neoadjuvant FOLFIRINOX is associated with prolonged survival in patients with locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Pancreatology 15(6):667-73, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26412296.
- Martin JT, Mahan AL, Ferraris VA, Saha SP, Mullett TW, Zwischenberger JB, Tzeng CW. Identifying Esophagectomy Patients at Risk for Predischarge Versus Postdischarge Venous Thromboembolism. Ann Thorac Surg 100(3):932-8; discussion 938, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26190389.
- Harris JW, Martin JT, Maynard EC, McGrath PC, Tzeng CW. Increased morbidity and mortality of a concomitant colectomy during a pancreaticoduodenectomy: an NSQIP propensity-score matched analysis. HPB (Oxford) 17(9):846-54, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26223475.
- Hance JM, Harris JW, Neltner J, Vilchez V, Tzeng CW, Maynard E, Gedaly R, Shah MB. Hepatobiliary mucinous cystadenoma resulting in biliary obstruction. Am Surg 81(6):E238-9, 2015. PMID: 26031251.
- Martin JT, Mahan A, Zwischenberger JB, McGrath PC, Tzeng CW. Should gastric cardia cancers be treated with esophagectomy or total gastrectomy? A comprehensive analysis of 4,996 NSQIP/SEER patients. J Am Coll Surg 220(4):510-20, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25667138.
- Hyngstrom JR, Tzeng CW, Beddar S, Das P, Krishnan S, Delclos ME, Crane CH, Chang GJ, You YN, Feig BW, Skibber JM, Rodriguez-Bigas MA. Intraoperative radiation therapy for locally advanced primary and recurrent colorectal cancer: ten-year institutional experience. J Surg Oncol 109(7):652-8, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24510523.
- Tzeng CW, Balachandran A, Ahmad M, Lee JE, Krishnan S, Wang H, Crane CH, Wolff RA, Varadhachary GR, Pisters PW, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN, Fleming JB, Katz MH. Serum carbohydrate antigen 19-9 represents a marker of response to neoadjuvant therapy in patients with borderline resectable pancreatic cancer. HPB (Oxford) 16(5):430-8, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23991810.
- Tzeng CW, Cooper AB, Vauthey JN, Curley SA, Aloia TA. Predictors of morbidity and mortality after hepatectomy in elderly patients: analysis of 7621 NSQIP patients. HPB (Oxford) 16(5):459-68, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24033514.
- Le AT, Tzeng CW. Does finding early recurrence improve outcomes, and at what cost?. J Surg Oncol 114(3):329-35, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27393742.
- Torzilli G, Nagino M, Tzeng CW, Kingham TP, Alatise OI, Ayandipo OO, Yamashita S, Arrington AK, Kim J, Chun YS, Vauthey JN. SSAT State-of-the-Art Conference: New Frontiers in Liver Surgery. J Gastrointest Surg 21(1):175-175, 2016. e-Pub 2016.
- Kawaguchi Y, Tzeng CD, Hasegawa K, Kokudo N, Vauthey JN. Author response to: Comment on: Performance of a modified three-level classification in stratifying open liver resection procedures in terms of complexity and postoperative morbidity. Br J Surg 107(4):469, 2020. PMID: 32129492.
- Tzeng CWD. Management of Resectable and Borderline Resectable Disease: Surgery. In: Pancreatic Cancer: A Multidiscliplinary Approach. 1. Springer Cham: Switzerland AG 2022, 127-137, 2022.