Meet Craig Messick, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2005||University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX, USA, MD, Doctorate of Medicine|
|1999||Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, TX, USA, BS, Biology|
|2012-2013||Colon and Rectal Surgery Fellowship, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH|
|2007-2009||Research Fellowship, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH|
|2006-2012||General Surgery Residency, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH|
|2005-2006||General Surgery Internship, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH|
|2016||Fellow of the American College of Surgeons|
|2014||American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery|
|2013||American Board of Surgery|
Resident ICU Jr. Staff, Department of Departments of General Surgery and Anesthesiology, Division of Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 2008 - 2009
Staff, Flight Physician, Division of Metro LifeFlight, MetroHealth Hospital, Cleveland, OH, 2007 - 2008
Institutional Committee Activities
Subject Matter Expert, EPIC Electronic Health Record Clinical Content Review Committee-Cancer Network Committee, 2015 - Present
|2013||Most Valuable Player Award, Cleveland Clinic Foundation|
|2009||Harry E. Bacon, MD Foundation Award, Best Basic Science Podium Presentation, American Society of Colorectal Surgeons (ASCRS) Annual Meeting|
|2008||Sanford R. Weiss, MD, Scholar|
|2007||Dudley P. Allen, MD, Scholar|
- Messick CA Kravochuck S, Church JM, Kalady MF. Metachronous serrated neoplasia is uncommon after right colectomy in patients with methylator colon cancers with a high degree of microsatellite instability. Dis Colon Rectum 57(1):39-46, 2014. PMID: 24316944.
- Messick CA, Hull T, Rosselli G, Kiran RP. Lesions originating within the retrorectal space: a diverse group requiring individualized evaluation and surgery. J Gastrointest Surg 17(12):2143-52, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24146338.
- Messick CA, Hull T, Hammel JP, Manilich E. What are the risk factors that predict recurrent clostridium difficile infections in surgical patients?. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 217(3):S24, 2013.
- Messick CA, Rosselli G, Hull T.. Presacral tumors:are they comparable in pediatric and adult patients?. Polish Journal of Surgery (Pol Przegl Chir) 85(5):253-61, 2013.
- Messick CA, Church J, Bennett A, Kalady MF. Serrated polyps:new classifications highlight clinical importance. Colorectal Dis 14(11):1328-37, 2012. PMID: 22554089.
- Messick CA, Hull T, Rosselli G, Kiran, P.. Tumors confined to the presacral space: a diverse group requiring individualized evaluation and surgery. Gastroenterology 142(1):S, 2012.
- Messick CA, Sanchez J, Dejulius KL, Hammel J, Ishwaran H, Kalady MF. CEACAM-7: a predictive marker for rectal cancer recurrence. Surgery 147(5):713-9, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 20004437.
- Messick CA, Church JM, Liu X, Ting AH, Kalady MF. Stage III colorectal cancer: molecular disparity between primary cancers and lymph node metastases. Ann Surg Oncol 17(2):425-31, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19885699.
- Messick CA, Church JM, Liu X, Kalady MF.. The truth about advanced stage colorectal cancer: what the primary lesions don’t tell you. Annals of Surgical Oncology 17(2):425-31, 2010.
- Messick CA, Church J, Casey G, Kalady MF. Identification of the methylator (serrated) colorectal cancer phenotype through precursor serrated polyps. Dis Colon Rectum 52(9):1535-41, 2009. PMID: 19690479.
- Messick CA, Sanchez J, Dejulius KL, Church JM, Kalady MF. Genetic and molecular diversity of colon cancer hepatic metastases. Surgery 146(2):227-31, 2009. PMID: 19628078.
- Messick CA, Sanchez JA, DeJulius KL, Church JM, Kalady MF.. Not all are created equal:genetic and molecular heterogeneity of colon cancer hepatic metastases. Surgery 146(2):227-31, 2009.
- Messick CA, Hardacre JM, McGee MF, Siegel CT, Stellato TA, Sanabria JR, Kinsella TJ, Schulak JA. Early experience with intraoperative radiotherapy in patients with resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Am J Surg 195(3):308-312, 2008. PMID: 18207129.
- Sanchez JA, DeJulius KL, Messick CA, Bronner MP, Casey G, Church JM, Kalady MF.. Role of CpG island methylator phenotype (CIMP) in ulcerative colitis oncogenesis. Journal of Surgical Research 144(2):385-386, 2008.
- Sammour T, Malakorn S, Bednarski BK, Kaur H, Shin US, Messick C, You YN, Chang GJ. Oncological Outcomes After Robotic Proctectomy for Rectal Cancer: Analysis of a Prospective Database. Ann Surg. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27997470.
- Shin US, Nancy You Y, Nguyen AT, Bednarski BK, Messick CA, Maru DM, Dean EM, Nguyen ST, Hu CY, Chang GJ. Oncologic Outcomes of Extended Robotic Resection for Rectal Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 23(7):2249-57, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26856720.
- Messick CA, Manikich E, Sun C, Costedio M. Risk factors and incidence of clostridium difficile infection after colorectal surgery?. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 217(3):S26-S27, 2013.
- DeJulius KL, Messick CA, Kalady MF.. Matrix metalloproteinase 11 is a potential tumor biomarker for rectal cancer. Journal of Surgical Research, 2011.
- Messick CA, Hull T, Hammel JP, Manilich E. What are the risk factors that predict recurrent clostridium difficile infections in surgical patients?. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 217(3):S24. e-Pub 2016.
- Messick CA. Complications of Surgery on the Small and Large Intestine. In: Principles of Gynecologic Oncology Surgery, 2017.
- Messick CA, Rodriguez-Bigas MA. Anal Dysplasia. In: Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 1, 33-43, 2017.
- Ahmed S, Messick CA, Eng C. Cancer of the Anal Canal. In: Textbook of Gastrointestinal Oncology, 2017.
- Messick CA, Chang G. Laparoscopic Right Colectomy. In: Operative Techniques in Surgery. Wolters Kluver: Philadelphia, PA, 993-1000, 2014.
|Title:||Moonshots Grant involving HPV-associated disease and malignancies, 2015|