Cristina Margarita Checka, MD
Department of Breast Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery
About Dr. Checka
Dr. Checka grew up in Arlington, Texas, and earned her medical degree from Michigan State University in Lansing, Michigan. She completed her residency in general surgery at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, Virginia. Following her residency, Dr. Checka completed a breast surgical oncology fellowship at New York University. She worked as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery at New York University before joining MD Anderson Cancer Center as a breast surgeon. Her clinical interests include management of women with an increased risk of breast cancer and young women with breast cancer.
Present Title & Affiliation
Associate Professor, Department of Breast Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Assistant Professor, Department of Breast Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Breast Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
Education & Training
|2003||Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|1997||Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, USA, BA, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology|
|2008-2010||Clinical Fellowship, Breast Surgical Oncology, New York University, New York, NY|
|2003-2008||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA|
|2013||Texas Medical Board|
|2010||American Board of Surgery|
Experience & Service
Institutional Committee Activities
Assistant Professor of Surgeon, Faculty Council, New York School of Medicine, 2011 - 2013
Unknown, Cancer Committee, Bellevue Hospital, 2010 - 2013
Surgeon Expert, Breast Surgery LEAN Project, Bellevue, 2010 - 2013
- Smith J, Dilawari A, Ursin G, Andreopoulou E, Checka C, Axelrod D, Guth A, Toth H, Utate M, Carapetyan K, Reich E, Diflo T, Muggia F. A pilot study of letrozole for one year in women at enhanced risk of developing breast cancer: effects on mammographic density. Anticancer Res 32(4):1327-31, 2012. PMID: 22493366.
- Checka CM, Chun JE, Schnabel FR, Lee J, Toth H. The relationship of mammographic density and age: implications for breast cancer screening. AJR Am J Roentgenol 198(3):W292-5, 2012. PMID: 22358028.
- Billig J, Schnabel F, Chun C, Checka C, Guth A, Axelrod A.. Mammographically-Occult Breast Cancers in Women Older than Seventy Years. JCO.
- Adams S, Hochman T, Huppert N, Dhage S, Checka C, Singh B, Speyer J, Schneider R, Goldberg J, Formenti S.. High Pathological Response Rate in Her2-Positive Locally-Advanced Breast Cancers Treated with Neoadjuvant Trastuzumab and Concurrent Paclitaxel/Radiotherapy. Poster Presentation, American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting, Chicago IL,, 2012.
- Refinetti A, Checka C, Siegel B, Hernandez O, Zamuco R, Guth A.. . Vascular Lesions of the Breast Not Associated with Radiation Therapy. Poster Presentation, American Society of Breast Disease, Dallas TX, 2012.
- Checka C, Lamparello A, Adams A, Carelli A, Glass N, Joseph K.. Newly-Diagnosed Breast Cancer Patients and the Need for a Primary Care Physician at an Urban Public Hospital. Poster Presentation, American Society of Breast Surgeons Annual Meeting, Phoenix AZ,, 2012.
- Checka C, Dhage S, Adams S, Samii E, Shah T, Shaylor S, Joseph K.. The Impact of Screening in Breast Cancer Patients Aged 40-49 Years at an Urban City Hospital. Poster Presentation, American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting, Chicago IL,, 2011.
- Pysarenko K, Checka C, Cangiarella J, Guth A, Moy L, Toth H, Mercado C.. Can MRI Predict Additional Foci of Disease and Nodal Metastasis in Triple-Receptor Negative Breast Cancer?. AJR Am J Roentgenol 196(5):Supplement A17-A20, 2011.
- Schnabel F, Chun J, Axelrod D, Cimeno A, Billig J, Checka C, Guth A.. The Integration of the IBTR! Prediction Tool into Surgical Decision-Making. Poster Presentation, American Society of Breast Surgeons Annual Meeting, Washington DC,, 2011.
- Checka C, Chun J, Schnabel F, Guth A, Axelrod D, Roses D. The Incidence of Mammographically-Occult Breast Cancer in Women Older than Seventy Years. Cancer Research 70(24):Supplement 2, 2010.
- Checka C, Speyer J, Formenti S, Levine J, Connolly E, Levine P, Berman R, Axelrod A.. Pathologic Complete Response of a Locally-Advanced Metaplastic Breast Cancer: A Case Report of a Novel Approach Using Neoadjuvant Weekly Paclitaxel and Concurrent Radiation. Poster Presentation,, 2010.
- Checka C, Bright K, Chun J, Toth H, Guth A. Cultural Perceptions for Chaperone Use During Breast Examinations. Poster Presentation, 32nd Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium,, 2009.
- Checka C, Chun J, Schnabel F, Darvishian F, Lee J, Bergknoff Y, Axelrod D, Siegel B, Roses D.. Mammographic Density and Lobular Involution in Older Women with Abnormal Breast Imaging. Cancer Research: 69(24):Supplement 3, 2009.
- Checka C, Chun J, Moy L, Schnabel F.. Benign Breast Biopsies Prompted by MRI in Newly-Diagnosed Patients. Poster Presentation, 2009 ASCO Breast Cancer Symposium, San Francisco CA, 2009.
- Checka C, Mercado M, Cangiarella J, Guth A. Not All Triple-Negative Breast Cancers are Created Equal. Oral presentation, New York Surgical Society, Joint Scientific Session with the Philadelphia Academy of Surgery, 2009.
- Checka C, Chun J, Lee J, Pitti A, Schnabel F.. The Relationship Between Mammograhpic Density and Age: Implications for Screening. Poster Presentation, American Society of Breast Surgeons 10th Annual Meeting, San Diego CA, 2009.