About Dr. Gombos
Dr. Dan S. Gombos received his medical degree from Stanford University. After completing an ophthalmology residency and serving as co-chief resident at the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Gombos completed two fellowships in ocular oncology, the first under the direction of Joan O’Brien MD at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF) and the second under the direction of John Hungerford FRCS at Moorfields Eye Hospital & St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London, UK. Dr. Gombos joined the faculty at the University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC) in the section of ophthalmology in 2001 and currently serves as Professor & Chief with joint appointments at the Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB).
Dr. Gombos’ clinical, surgical, and research interests are in the areas of ocular oncology- in particular the management of retinoblastoma, uveal melanoma, intraocular and conjunctival malignancies. He is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), the American Association of Ocular Oncology & Pathology (AAOOP) and the International Society of Ocular Oncology (ISOO).
He serves as the clinical co-director of the Retinoblastoma Center of Houston and Director of Clinical Operations for the Section of Ophthalmology.
Professor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Section Chief, Department of Section of Ophthalmology, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics Patient Care, Division of Cancer Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine- Pediatrics, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine- Ophthalmology, Houston, TX
Clinical Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Galveston, TX
|1994||Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1989||Northwestern University, College of Arts & Sciences, Evanston, IL, USA, BA, Chemistry|
|1986||Cours de Civilisation Française de la Sorbonne, Paris, FRA, Certificat de Langue Française, French|
|2000||American Board of Ophthalmology|
|1995||National Board of Medical Examiners|
Clinic Operations Director, Department of Section of Ophthalmology, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - Present
|2016||University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Certificate of Recognition, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||Doctor of Excellence, Leaders in Healthcare Network|
|2014||American Academy of Ophthalmology's Senior Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology|
|2013||American Board of Ophthalmology Certificate of Appreciation, American Board of Ophthalmology|
|2012||Texas Super Doctors|
|2011||Troupe Resident Teaching Award, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences|
|2009||Marquis Who's Who in America 2009|
|2009||Guide to America's Top Ophthalmologists|
|2009||Princeton Global Networks Registry, Global Networks|
|2007||Best Doctors in America|
|2005||American Academy of Ophthalmology, Achievement Award|
|2004||Elected by Consumers Research Council of America: Guide to Americas Top Ophthalmologists|
|1985||Bay Ridge Medical Society Award|
- Friedman DL, Krailo M, Villaluna D, Gombos D, Langholz B, Jubran R, Shields C, Murphree L, O'Brien J, Kessel S, Rodriguez-Galindo C, Chintagumpala M, Meadows AT. Systemic neoadjuvant chemotherapy for Group B intraocular retinoblastoma (ARET0331): A report from the Children's Oncology Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer 64(7), 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28019092.
- Kim MM, Dabaja BS, Medeiros J, Kim S, Allen P, Chevez-Barrios P, Gombos DS, Fowler N. Survival Outcomes of Primary Intraocular Lymphoma: A Single-Institution Experience. Am J Clin Oncol 39(2):109-13, 2016. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24390272.
- Gandhi SJ, Zavala A, Williams U, Van Meter A, Hsu P, Gombos DS, Owusu-Agyemang P. A Retrospective Review of Corneal Abrasions after Oncologic Surgery in a Tertiary Cancer Center. International Journal of Anesthetics and Anesthesiology 3(2), 2016.
- Akinfenwa PY, Cehvez-Barrios P, Harper CA, Gombos DS. Late Presentation of Retinoblastoma in a Teen with Aicardi Syndrome. Oncular Oncology Pathology Vol. 2(No. 3), 2016.
- Garcia JR, Gombos DS, Prospero CM, Ganapathy A, Penland RL, Chévez-Barrios P. Expression of Angiogenic Factors in Invasive Retinoblastoma Tumors Is Associated With Increase in Tumor Cells Expressing Stem Cell Marker Sox2. Arch Pathol Lab Med 139(12):1531-8, 2015. PMID: 26619025.
- Beadle B, Takiar V, Voong K, Gombos DS, Mourtada F, Rechner L, Lawyer A, Morrison W, Garden A. Choice of Radionuclide: Comparative Outcomes and Toxicity of Ruthenium-106 and Iodine-125 in the Definitive Treatment of Uveal Melanoma. Radiotherapy and Oncology, 2014. PMID: 25423888.
- Milgrom S, Cheah C, Pinnix C, Smith G, Dabaja B, Horace P, Chevez-Barrios P, Fowler N,Gombos DS. Acute and Late Toxicity of Bilateral Orbital Irradiation in the Management of Primary Intraocular Lymphoma. Leukemia & Lymphoma 57(11):2612-8, 2013. PMID: 27075636.
- Francis JH, Patel SP, Gombos DS, Carvajal RD. Surveillance Options for Patients with Uveal Melanoma Following Definitive Management. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book 2013:382-7, 2013. PMID: 23714555.
- Ameri H, Araujo JC,Gombos DS. Leuprolide monotherapy for choroidal metastasis from prostate adenocarcinoma. Arch Ophthalmol 130(9):1225-6, 2012. PMID: 22965610.
- Gombos DS. Retinoblastoma in the perinatal and neonatal child. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 17(4):239-42, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22622484.
- Nasser QJ, Gombos DS, Williams MD, Guadagnolo BA, Morrison WH, Garden AS, Beadle BM, Canseco E, Esmaeli B. Management of radiation-induced severe anophthalmic socket contracture in patients with uveal melanoma. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 28(3):208-12, 2012. PMID: 22581085.
- Shinder R, Ramirez SA, Chévez-Barrios P, Gombos DS. "Retinoblastoma associated orbital cellulitis". Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 28(3):235-7, 2012. PMID: 22581094.
- Jonasch E, McCutcheon IE, Waguespack SG, Wen S, Davis DW, Smith LA, Tannir NM, Gombos DS, Fuller GN, Matin SF. Pilot Trial of Sunitinib Therapy in Patients with von Hippel-Lindau Disease. Ann Oncol 22(12):2661-6, 2011. PMID: 22105611.
- Rodney AJ, Gombos DS, Fuller GN, Pagliaro LC, Tannir NM. Choroidal and Conjunctival Metastases from Renal Cell Carcinoma. Am J Clin Oncol 32(4):448-9, 2009. PMID: 19657240.
|Title:||The role of tumor size and location in the treatment of retinoblastoma with primary chemotherapy|
|Funding Source:||The Retinoblastoma Society (UK)|
|Title:||Houseman/Wilkins Ophthalmological Foundation|
|Funding Source:||Donor Gift|