About Dr. Gombos
Dr. Gombos began his career in ocular oncology in 1993 with clinical research & training at the Robert Ellsworth Ophthalmic Oncology Center in New York. After graduation from Stanford Medical School, he completed an ophthalmology residency at the University of Pennsylvania, Perelman School of Medicine, Scheie Eye institute, serving as co-chief resident in his final year. This was followed by two clinical fellowships in ocular oncology; the first as a Heed Fellow at the University of California, San Francisco and subsequently Moorfields Eye & St Bartholomew's Hospitals, London, UK. In 2001, he joined the full time faculty at University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas and is currently Professor & Chief of the Section of Ophthalmology with joint appointments at the Baylor College of Medicine and the University of Texas Medical Branch. He is founding member and serves at Clinical Co-Director of the Retinoblastoma Center of Houston. Dr. Gombos' clinical, surgical, and research interests are in the areas of ocular oncology in particular: the management of retinoblastoma, uveal melanoma, intraocular and conjunctival malignancies.
In the News
Professor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Section Chief, Department of Section of Ophthalmology, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine- Ophthalmology, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics Patient Care, Division of Cancer Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine- Pediatrics, Houston, TX
Clinical Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Galveston, TX
|1994||Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1989||Northwestern University, College of Arts & Sciences, Evanston, IL, USA, BA, Chemistry|
|1986||Cours de Civilisation Française de la Sorbonne, Paris, FRA, Certificat de Langue Française, French|
|2000||American Board of Ophthalmology|
|1995||National Board of Medical Examiners|
Clinic Operations Director, Department of Section of Ophthalmology, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, CME Advisory Committee, 2016 - 2019
|2016||University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Certificate of Recognition, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||Doctor of Excellence, Leaders in Healthcare Network|
|2013||American Board of Ophthalmology Certificate of Appreciation, American Board of Ophthalmology|
|2012||Texas Super Doctors|
|2011||Troupe Resident Teaching Award, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences|
|2009||Marquis Who's Who in America 2009|
|2009||Guide to America's Top Ophthalmologists|
|2009||Princeton Global Networks Registry, Global Networks|
|2007||Best Doctors in America|
|2005||American Academy of Ophthalmology, Achievement Award|
|2004||Elected by Consumers Research Council of America: Guide to Americas Top Ophthalmologists|
|1985||Bay Ridge Medical Society Award|
- Patel VR, Gombos DS, Admirand J, Ghafoori SD. Partial spontaneous regression of choroidal melanoma: A case image with histopathology and gene expression profiling. Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep 26:101517, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35496766.
- Srivastava A, Al-Zubidi N, Appelbaum E, Gombos DS, Nader ME, Gidley PW, Chambers MS. Immune-Related Oral, Otologic, and Ocular Adverse Events. Adv Exp Med Biol 1244:295-307, 2020. PMID: 32301024.
- Area C, Yen CJ, Chevez-Barrios P, Herzog C, Kan P, Zheng W, Lin F, Chintagumpala M, Gombos DS, Chen SR. Technical and Anatomical factors affecting intra-arterial chemotherapy Fluoroscopy time and radiation dose for Intraocular Retinoblastoma. Journal of NeuroInterventional Surgery, 2019. PMID: 31197028.
- Anand K, Roszik J, Gombos D, Upshaw J, Sarli V, Meas S, Lucci A, Hall C, Patel S. Pilot Study of Circulating Tumor Cells in Early-Stage and Metastatic Uveal Melanoma. Cancers (Basel) 11(6), 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31226786.
- Fountain E, Bassett RL, Cain S, Posada L, Gombos DS, Hwu P, Bedikian A, Patel SP. Adjuvant Ipilimumab in High-Risk Uveal Melanoma. Cancers (Basel) 11(2), 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30699934.
- Skalet AH, Gombos DS, Gallie BL, Kim JW, Shields CL, Marr BP, Plon SE, Chévez-Barrios P. Screening Children at Risk for Retinoblastoma: Consensus Report from the American Association of Ophthalmic Oncologists and Pathologists. Ophthalmology. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29056300.
- Friedman DL, Krailo M, Villaluna D, Gombos D, Langholz B, Jubran R, Shields C, Murphree L, O'Brien J, Kessel S, Rodriguez-Galindo C, Chintagumpala M, Meadows AT. Systemic neoadjuvant chemotherapy for Group B intraocular retinoblastoma (ARET0331): A report from the Children's Oncology Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer 64(7), 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28019092.
- Milgrom SA, Cheah CY, Pinnix CC, Smith GL, Dabaja BS, Horace P, Chevez-Barrios P, Fowler NH, Gombos DS. Acute and Late Toxicity of Bilateral Orbital Irradiation in the Management of Primary Intraocular Lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 57(11):2612-8, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27075636.
- Kim MM, Dabaja BS, Medeiros J, Kim S, Allen P, Chevez-Barrios P, Gombos DS, Fowler N. Survival Outcomes of Primary Intraocular Lymphoma: A Single-Institution Experience. Am J Clin Oncol 39(2):109-13, 2016. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24390272.
- Akinfenwa PY, Chevez-Barrios P, Harper CA, Gombos DS. Late Presentation of Retinoblastoma in a Teen with Aicardi Syndrome. Ocular Oncology Pathology Vol. 2(No. 3), 2016.
- Gandhi SJ, Zavala A, Williams U, Van Meter A, Hsu P, Gombos DS, Owusu-Agyemang P. A Retrospective Review of Corneal Abrasions after Oncologic Surgery in a Tertiary Cancer Center. International Journal of Anesthetics and Anesthesiology 3(2), 2016.
- Garcia JR, Gombos DS, Prospero CM, Ganapathy A, Penland RL, Chévez-Barrios P. Expression of Angiogenic Factors in Invasive Retinoblastoma Tumors Is Associated With Increase in Tumor Cells Expressing Stem Cell Marker Sox2. Arch Pathol Lab Med 139(12):1531-8, 2015. PMID: 26619025.
- Beadle B, Takiar V, Voong K, Gombos DS, Mourtada F, Rechner L, Lawyer A, Morrison W, Garden A. A Choice of Radionuclide: Comparative Outcomes and Toxicity of Ruthenium-106 and Iodine-125 in the Definitive Treatment of Uveal Melanoma. Radiotherapy and Oncology, 2014. PMID: 25423888.
- Francis JH, Patel SP, Gombos DS, Carvajal RD. Surveillance Options for Patients with Uveal Melanoma Following Definitive Management. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book 2013:382-7, 2013. PMID: 23714555.
- Ameri H, Araujo JC, Gombos DS. Leuprolide monotherapy for choroidal metastasis from prostate adenocarcinoma. Arch Ophthalmol 130(9):1225-6, 2012. PMID: 22965610.
- Gombos DS. Retinoblastoma in the perinatal and neonatal child. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 17(4):239-42, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22622484.
- Nasser QJ, Gombos DS, Williams MD, Guadagnolo BA, Morrison WH, Garden AS, Beadle BM, Canseco E, Esmaeli B. Management of radiation-induced severe anophthalmic socket contracture in patients with uveal melanoma. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 28(3):208-12, 2012. PMID: 22581085.
- Shinder R, Ramirez SA, Chévez-Barrios P, Gombos DS. Re: "Retinoblastoma associated orbital cellulitis". Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 28(3):235-7, 2012. PMID: 22581094.
- Jonasch E, McCutcheon IE, Waguespack SG, Wen S, Davis DW, Smith LA, Tannir NM, Gombos DS, Fuller GN, Matin SF. Pilot Trial of Sunitinib Therapy in Patients with von Hippel-Lindau Disease. Ann Oncol 22(12):2661-6, 2011. PMID: 22105611.
- Rodney AJ, Gombos DS, Fuller GN, Pagliaro LC, Tannir NM. Choroidal and Conjunctival Metastases from Renal Cell Carcinoma. Am J Clin Oncol 32(4):448-9, 2009. PMID: 19657240.
|Title:||The role of tumor size and location in the treatment of retinoblastoma with primary chemotherapy|
|Funding Source:||The Retinoblastoma Society (UK)|
|Title:||Houseman/Wilkins Ophthalmological Foundation|
|Funding Source:||Donor Gift|