About Dr. Gershenson
As Professor of Gynecologic Oncology, I am engaged in several aspects of clinical and translational research. My personal research is focused on ovarian cancer. In collaboration with several clinical and basic science colleagues, I am conducting several clinical and translational studies of rare ovarian tumors: low-grade serous tumors (serous tumors of low malignant potential and low-grade serous carcinomas), clear cell carcinomas, mucinous carcinomas, malignant ovarian germ cell tumors, and sex cord-stromal ovarian tumors. Our studies in the front-line, neoadjuvant, and recurrent settlings have indicated that low-grade serous carcinomas are relatively chemoresistant. I am the principal investigator or co-principal investigator of clinical trials focused on novel therapeutics for patients with low-grade serous carcinoma of the ovary. Other studies from our group and other investigators have also reported the poor prognosis associated with advanced stage or recurrent ovarian clear cell and mucinous carcinomas.
Since 1999, I have served as Co-Principal Investigator of M.D. Anderson’s NCI-funded SPORE in Ovarian Cancer and as Co-Project Leader of Project 3, “Personalized Therapy for Women with Low-Grade Serous Carcinoma of the Ovary.” Funding for the third consecutive 5-year cycle of this grant was renewed in September 2010. This project includes preclinical studies designed to elucidate the pathogenesis of low-grade serous carcinoma and the development of clinical trials utilizing novel targeted agents based on the preclinical findings. The clinical trials are conducted through the NCI-sponsored cooperative group—the Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG).
I continue to serve as Program Leader of the Gynecological Cancers Program of M.D. Anderson’s Cancer Center Support Grant (CCSG). I continue to play an active role in the leadership of the GOG. Since 2005, I have been the Chair of the GOG’s Rare Tumor Committee. During this period, the committee has completed patient accrual on a clinical trial of a novel targeted agent, a MEK inhibitor, for women with recurrent low-grade serous carcinoma of the ovary. Six other trials have been activated and are currently accruing patients. I am the Co-Principal Investigator on one of these trials and the Principal Investigator on an international trial between the GOG and a research group in UK for women with newly diagnosed mucinous carcinoma of the ovary. I also serve on the GOG’s Protocol Development Committee, which peer-reviews all clinical trials developed by the group. Since 2005, I have served as a member of the NCI’s Gynecologic Cancer Steering Committee, which approves all new phase III and randomized phase II clinical trials for gynecologic cancers in North America. In July 2010, I was elected as one of three Co-Chairs of this committee for a 3-year term. I continue to serve as Co-Chair of the Rare Tumor Working Group of the Gynecologic Cancer Intergroup (GCIG), an international consortium of 23 world-wide cooperative groups focused on gynecologic malignancies. In June 2010, I participated in a consensus conference on ovarian cancer in Vancouver, BC, sponsored by GCIG. Since March 2009, I have served as Chairman of the Foundation for Women’s Cancer (formerly the Gynecologic Cancer Foundation), a national foundation of the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists, whose major missions include research grant funding and public education and awareness of gynecologic cancers. My other major national activities include serving as Editor Emeritus of the journal, Gynecologic Oncology, and as a Director of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
|1971||Vanderbilt School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1967||University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA, BA, Psychology|
|1977-1979||Fellowship, Gynecologic Oncology, U.T. M. D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute, Houston, TX|
|1972-1975||Residency, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT|
|1971-1972||Internship, Medicine/Surgery, University of Iowa Hospital, Iowa City, IA|
|1981||American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Diplomate, Division of Gynecologic Oncology|
|1977||American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Diplomate|
|1972||National Board of Medical Examiners, Diplomate|
Courtesy Status, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Service, St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston, TX, 2000 - 2012
Department Chair, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2000 - 2012
Member, Gynecologic Cancer Steering Committee, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, 2006 - Present
Member, Medical Advisory Board, fertileHope, New York, NY, 2003 - 2009
Member, Medical Advisory Board, Cancer Research and Prevention Foundation, Alexandria, PA, 2001 - Present
Member, Ovarian Cancer Working Group, Prognostic Factors Consensus Conference, American Joint Committee on Cancer, Chicago, IL, 1998 - Present
Member, Ovarian Cancer Practice Guidelines Committee, The National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Jenkintown, PA, 1997 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
member, Planning Committee for the 5th Annual Cancer Symposium, 2008 - 2009
Member, Endowed Positions and Awards Committee, 2008 - 2011
Chairman, Oversight Committee/Approval Committee for Tissue Distribution, Multidisciplinary Gynecologic Cancer Translational Research Tumor Bank, 1999 - Present
Chair, Executive Committee, Blanton-Davis Ovarian Cancer Research Program, 1996 - 2007
|2006||Who's Who in Science and Engineering, Marquis Who's Who|
|2004||Guide to America's Top Obstetricians and Gynecologists|
|2001||Best Doctors: Information When It Matters Most, Peer-selection|
|1997||Who's Who in the South and Southwest, Marquis Who's Who|
|1995||Favorite Son Award, Southern Illinois Medical Association|
|1992||President's Award, Society of Gynecologic Oncologists|
|1971||Alpha Omega Alpha, Vanderbilt School of Medicine|
- Gershenson DM, Sun CC, Bodurka DC, Coleman RL, Lu KH, Sood AK, Deavers M, Malpica AL, Kavanagh JJ. Recurrent low-grade serous ovarian carcinoma is relatively chemoresistant. Gynecol Oncol 114(1):48-52, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19361839.
- Brown J, Sood AK, Deavers MT, Milojevic L, Gershenson DM. Patterns of metastasis in sex cord-stromal tumors of the ovary: can routine staging lymphadenectomy be omitted?. Gynecol Oncol 113(1):86-90, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19162310.
- Schmeler KM, Sun CC, Bodurka DC, Deavers MT, Malpica A, Coleman RL, Ramirez PT, Gershenson DM. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for low-grade serous carcinoma of the ovary or peritoneum. Gynecol Oncol 108(3):510-514, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 18155273.
- Gershenson DM, Miller A, Champion V, Monahan P, Zhao Q, Cella D, Williams S. Reproductive and sexual function after platinum-based chemotherapy in long-term ovarian germ cell tumor survivors: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol 25(19):2792-2797, 2007. PMID: 17602084.
- Crotzer D, Sun C, Coleman R, Wolf J, Levenback C, Gershenson DM. Lack of effective systemic therapy for recurrent clear cell carcinoma of the ovary. Gynecol Oncol 105(2):404-408, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17292461.
Books (edited and written)
- Gershenson DM, Co-Editor. Comprehensive Gynecology. Ed(s) V. Katz, G. Lentz, R. Lobo, D. Gershenson. 5th Ed. Elsevier, 2007.
- Gershenson DM, Co-Editor. Gynecologic Cancer. Ed(s) P.J. Eifel, D.M. Gershenson, J.J. Kavanagh, E.G. Silva. Springer, 2005.
- Gershenson DM, Senior Editor. Gynecologic Cancer: Controversies in Management. Ed(s) D.M. Gershenson, W.P. McGuire, M. Gore, G. Thomas and M. Quinn. Churchill Livingstone Publishers, 2004.
- Gershenson DM, Co-Editor. Handbook of Gynecologic Oncology. Ed(s) R.R. Barakat M.W. Bevers, D.M. Gershenson, W. J. Hoskins. 2nd Ed. Martin Dunitz Publishers, Ltd, 2002.
- Gershenson DM, Co-Editor. Operative Gynecology. Ed(s) D.M. Gershenson, A.H. DeCherney, S.L. Curry, and Linda Brubaker. 2nd Ed. W.B. Saunders, 2001.
- Gershenson DM, Co-Editor. Handbook of Gynecologic Oncology. Ed(s) R.R. Barakat, M.W. Bevers, D.M. Gershenson, W. J. Hoskins. Martin Dunitz Publishers, Ltd, 2000.
- Gershenson DM, Co-Editor. Ovarian Cancer: Controversies in Management. Ed(s) D.M. Gershenson, W.P. McGuire. Churchill Livingstone, 1997.
- Gershenson DM. Operative Gynecology. Ed(s) D.M. Gershenson, A.H. DeCherney, and S.L. Curry. W. B. Saunders Co, 1994.
- Gershenson DM. Obstetrics & Gynecology Clinics of North America. Gershenson DM, Guest Editor, 1994.
- Gershenson DM. Cancer in Pregnancy. In: Cancer Bulletin. Ed(s) Gershenson DM, Co-Editor, 1994.
- David Gershenson, Associate Editor. Principles and Practice of Clinical Gynecology. Ed(s) N.G. Kase, A.B. Weingold, D.M. Gershenson. 2nd Ed. Churchill Livingstone, 1990.
- Gershenson DM. Gynecologic Cancer: Diagnosis and Treatment Strategies. Ed(s) F.N. Rutledge, R.S. Freedman, D.M. Gershenson. University of Texas Press: Austin, 1986.
|Title:||Training of Academic Gynecologic Oncologists|