Assistant Professor, Department of Gastrointestinal (GI) Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
I am interested in the molecular and cellular biology of gastrointestinal tumors. These studies involve four primary areas of research: 1) to understand microenvironmental and age related effects of the colon stromal on CRC; 2) to examine the role of the stromal cell eicosanoid pathway and inflammatory pathway effects on CRC; 3) to examine the role of mesenchymal and epithelial stem cells in the development of CRC and 4) to develop mechanism based approaches of applying nanotechnology to cancer prevention. These studies involve isolating and characterizing cells from colon tumors as well as colon liver metastases. These cells will be used in co-culture experiments with colon tumor cells to examine the their ability to inhibit or promote the growth of tumor cells in vitro or in vivo. Further molecular and eicosanoid profiling will be performed co-cultured cells to dissect out the critical changes that occur when these cells interact during tumor formation. In the future, As a part of the age related effects of stromal cells on CRC, in the process of isolating normal colon and pancreatic mesenchymal and epithelial cells from various age wt or APCmin mice. These mesenchymal cells will be used in co-culture experiments with colon tumor cells to examine the effect of age or inflammatory bioactive lipids on the ability of mesenchymal cells to inhibit or promote the growth of tumor cells in vitro or in vivo.
|1986||Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA, PHD, Cell Biology|
|1976||Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA, BS, Biology|
|1986-1992||Research Fellowship, Cell Biology, The University of Texas, Houston, TX|
Assistant Professor, Department of Cancer Biology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2014
Administrative Director, Department of Cancer Biology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2014
Institutional Committee Activities
Chair, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, 2012 - Present
Committee Member, Animal Research Infrastructure Strategic Planning Committee, 2008 - Present
Member, User Committee for the Analytical Core of the UTMDACC Cancer Center Support Grant, 2005 - Present
Member, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, 1999 - Present
|2002||HSC Honors Convocation Recipient, University of Texas Health Science Center|
|1998||Flemming and Davenport Award, Texas Medical Center|
|1997||Shannon Award, National Cancer Institute|
|1997||Postdoctoral Support Award, Meadows Foundation|
|1987||Histopathobiology of Neoplasia Workshop, National Cancer Institute|
|1986||National Cancer Institute Postdoctoral Fellow in Human Genetics, National Cancer Institute|
|1984||Outstanding Researcher Award, Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Society|
- Chen ZY, Raghav K, Lieu CH, Jiang ZQ, Eng C, Vauthey JN, Chang GJ, Qiao W, Morris J, Hong D, Hoff P, Tran H, Menter DG, Heymach J, Overman M, Kopetz S. Cytokine profile and prognostic significance of high neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio in colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer 112(6):1088-97, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25688736.
- Whiting N, Hu J, Shah JV, Cassidy MC, Cressman E, Zacharias Millward N, Menter DG, Marcus CM, Bhattacharya PK. Real-Time MRI-Guided Catheter Tracking Using Hyperpolarized Silicon Particles. Sci Rep 5:12842, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26239953.
- Menter DG, Patterson SL, Logsdon CD, Kopetz S, Sood AK, Hawk ET. Convergence of nanotechnology and cancer prevention: are we there yet?. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 7(10):973-92, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25060262.
- Yang P, Cartwright C, Efuet E, Hamilton SR, Wistuba II, Menter D, Addington C, Shureiqi I, Newman RA. Cellular location and expression of Na+, K+ -ATPase α subunits affect the anti-proliferative activity of oleandrin. Mol Carcinog 53(4):253-63, 2014. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23073998.
- Menter DG, Tucker SC, Kopetz S, Sood AK, Crissman JD, Honn KV. Platelets and cancer: a casual or causal relationship: revisited. Cancer Metastasis Rev 33(1):231-69, 2014. PMID: 24696047.
- Menter DG, Dubois RN. Prostaglandins in Cancer Cell Adhesion, Migration, and Invasion. Int J Cell Biol 2012:723419, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22505934.
- Kim SH, Xia D, Kim SW, Holla V, Menter DG, Dubois RN. Human enhancer of filamentation 1 Is a mediator of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha-mediated migration in colorectal carcinoma cells. Cancer Res 70(10):4054-63, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20442290.
- Menter DG, Schilsky RL, DuBois RN. Cyclooxygenase-2 and cancer treatment: understanding the risk should be worth the reward. Clin Cancer Res 16(5):1384-90, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20179228.
- Xia D, Holla VR, Wang D, Menter DG, DuBois RN. HEF1 is a crucial mediator of the proliferative effects of prostaglandin E(2) on colon cancer cells. Cancer Res 70(2):824-31, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20068165.
- Yang P, Menter DG, Cartwright C, Chan D, Dixon S, Suraokar M, Mendoza G, Llansa N, Newman RA. Oleandrin-mediated inhibition of human tumor cell proliferation: importance of Na,K-ATPase alpha subunits as drug targets. Mol Cancer Ther 8(8):2319-28, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19671733.
- Tsavachidou D, McDonnell TJ, Wen S, Wang X, Vakar-Lopez F, Pisters LL, Pettaway CA, Wood CG, Do KA, Thall PF, Stephens C, Efstathiou E, Taylor R, Menter DG, Troncoso P, Lippman SM, Logothetis CJ, Kim J. Selenium and vitamin E: cell type- and intervention-specific tissue effects in prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 101(5):306-20, 2009. PMID: 19244175.
- Jin Q, Menter DG, Mao L, Hong WK, Lee HY. Survivin expression in normal human bronchial epithelial cells: an early and critical step in tumorigenesis induced by tobacco exposure. Carcinogenesis 29(8):1614-22, 2008. PMID: 18635526.
- Subbarayan V, Xu XC, Kim J, Yang P, Hoque A, Sabichi AL, Llansa N, Mendoza G, Logothetis CJ, Newman RA, Lippman SM, Menter DG. Inverse relationship between 15-lipoxygenase-2 and PPAR-gamma gene expression in normal epithelia compared with tumor epithelia. Neoplasia 7:280-93, 2005. PMID: 15799828.
- Kim J, Yang P, Suraokar M, Sabichi AL, Llansa ND, Mendoza G, Subbarayan V, Logothetis CJ, Newman RA, Lippman SM, Menter DG. Suppression of prostate tumor cell growth by stromal cell prostaglandin D synthase-derived products. Cancer Res 65:6189-98, 2005. PMID: 16024620.
- Sabichi AL, Subbarayan V, Llansa N, Lippman SM, Menter DG. PPARg suppresses cyclooxygenase-2 expression in human prostate cells. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers and Prev 13:1704-9, 2004.
- Menter DG. Cyclooxygenase 2 selective inhibitors in cancer treatment and prevention. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 11(12):1749-64, 2002. PMID: 12457435.
- Subbarayan V, Sabichi AL, Llansa N, Lippman SM, Menter DG. Differential expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and its regulation by tumor necrosis factor-alpha in normal and malignant prostate cells. Cancer Res 61:2720-6, 2001. PMID: 11289153.
- Menter, DG, Gundlach, N, Steinert, BW, Diglio, C, Walz, D, Sloane, B F, Taylor, JD, Honn, KV. Platelet enhancement of tumor cell adhesion to endothelial cell extracellular matrix. Cancer Res 47:6751-62, 1987.
|Title:||Nuclear Hormone Receptors and Intestinal Epithelial Biology|
|Title:||Role of Eicosanoids in Intestinal Epithelial Growth and Function|
|Title:||Prostaglandins and Inflammation in Colorectal Cancer|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|