Meet David Rice, M.B., B.Ch.
About Dr. Rice
Dr. Rice was born and raised in Dublin, Ireland. He received his medical degree (M.B., B.Ch.) at the School of Medicine, Trinity College, the University of Dublin in 1991 and then completed his internship at St James Hospital, Dublin, Ireland in 1992. He left Ireland in 1992 to obtain his general surgery residency training at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN in 1999. During this time Dr. Rice took 18 months to complete a research fellowship in tumor immunology, examining ways of stimulating T-cells of the immune system to better fight cancer. Dr. Rice went on to continue training in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the Baylor College of Medicine and at The UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center from 1999 – 2001. Dr. Rice joined the faculty of the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in 2001 where he is currently a Professor in Surgery.
Present Title & Affiliation
Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Dr. Rice’s research efforts have centered mainly on clinical research. He is the surgical principal investigator (PI) on the Vanguard study, which prospectively examines the use of novel targeted biological agents to prevent cancer recurrence in patients who have undergone surgery for lung cancer. Dr. Rice is also the surgical PI on a prospective randomized trial to evaluate the hemostatic effects of aprotinin during extrapleural pneumonectomy. He is the institutional PI for an American College of Surgeons Oncology Group clinical protocol (Z0040) and the institutional surgical PI on two other multi-center trials. One of these investigates the significance in circulating tumor cells in patients undergoing lung cancer surgery, and the other is a prospective trial of neoadjuvant chemotherapy, extrapleural pneumonectomy, and adjuvant radiation therapy in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma.
Since joining MD Anderson, Dr. Rice has striven to provide the best and most modern surgical care possible to patients with thoracic malignancies. His clinical interests have followed two very divergent paths. First, to continue to be a leader in the field of thoracic surgery by pushing the envelope and practicing new and more innovative ways of doing surgery that impart less surgical trauma and pain for the patient and yet offer the same oncologic benefit as traditional procedures. Dr. Rice and his colleagues have been active in greatly expanding the role of video assisted thoracoscopic (VATS) surgery in thoracic malignancies. Dr. Rice was the first surgeon to perform a minimally invasive esophagectomy at this institution. This is a technically demanding and highly complex procedure that is routinely performed at only a handful of other centers, and offers patients the potential for easier recovery with less pain and fewer pulmonary side effects than does a traditional ‘open’ surgery. Similarly, Dr. Rice and his colleagues have greatly expanded the use of minimally invasive lobectomy and now offer this procedure routinely for patients with small localized lung cancers.
Dr. Rice participated as a founder in the development of the MINTOS (Minimally Invasive and New Technologies in Oncologic Surgery) working group and has fostered the use of endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) guided mediastinal nodal biopsies in thoracic malignancies. With this advanced bronchoscopic method it is possible to accurately sample mediastinal lymph nodes using a video bronchoscope that has an ultrasound probe at its tip. The presence of mediastinal nodal metastases in patients with lung cancer dramatically alters management and prognosis, and prior to the development of EBUS it was possible to accurately biopsy these nodes only with mediastinoscopy, an invasive and occasionally morbid procedure. EBUS is now poised to replace routine mediastinoscopy within the next five years.
Education & Training
|1991||The Medical School of Trinity College, The University of Dublin, Dublin, IRL, MD, Medicine|
|1999-2001||Resident, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1998-1999||Fellow, Thoracic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN|
|1996-1997||Postdoctoral Fellow, Tumor Immunology, Mayo Clinic, Section of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Rochester, MN|
|1992-1998||Residency, General Surgery, General Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN|
|1991-1992||Intern, Surgical, Surgery, St. James Hospital, Dublin|
|1987-1991||MB, Medicine, Medicine, Surgery, Art of Obstetrics, The Medical School of Trinity College, The University of Dublin, Dublin|
|1987-1991||BCh, Medicine, The Medical School of Trinity College, The University of Dublin, Dublin|
|1987-1991||BAO, Medicine, The Medical School of Trinity College, The University of Dublin, Dublin|
|2004||The American Board of Thoracic Surgery|
|2002||The American Board of Surgery|
|1997||Fellow, The Royal College of Surgeons Ireland|
|1992||Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates|
Experience & Service
Associate Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2012
Assistant Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2001 - 2006
Honors & Awards
|2006||The Surgery Chief Resident Teaching Award, The University of Texas-Houston Medical School Department of Surgery|
|2004||Award on Aging, Society of Thoracic Surgeons|
|2002||The Surgery Chief Resident Teaching Award, The University of Texas-Houston Medical School Department of Surgery|
|1997||Kaare K. Nygaard Travel Award for Clinical Research|
|1995||Travel Prize, America Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons|
|1991||Arthur Ball Memorial Prize in Surgery, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland|
|1991||Graduated with Class II Honors, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland|
- Shewale JB, Correa AM, Brown EL, Leon-Novelo LG, Nyitray AG, Antonoff MB, Hofstetter WL, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Walsh GL, Roth J, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Sepesi B. Time Trends of Perioperative Outcomes in Early-Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Resection Patients. Ann Thorac Surg 109(2):404-411, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31539514.
- Chen Y, Zhang R, Wang L, Correa AM, Pataer A, Xu Y, Zhang X, Ren C, Wu S, Meng QH, Fujimoto J, Jensen VB, Antonoff MB, Hofstetter WL, Mehran RJ, Pisimisis G, Rice DC, Sepesi B, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh GL, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Heymach JV, Fang B. Tumor characteristics associated with engraftment of patient-derived non-small cell lung cancer xenografts in immunocompromised mice. Cancer 125(21):3738-3748, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31287557.
- Nelson DB, Cata JP, Niu J, Mitchell KG, Vaporciyan AA, Antonoff MB, Hofstetter WL, Giordano SH, Sepesi B, Mehran RJ, Rice DC. Persistent opioid use is associated with worse survival after lobectomy for stage i non-small cell lung cancer. Pain 160(10):2365-2373, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31149979.
- Mitchell KG, Ikoma N, Nelson DB, Maru DM, Erasmus JJ, Weston BR, Vaporciyan AA, Antonoff MB, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Roth JA, Swisher SG, Sepesi B, Walsh GL, Correa AM, Das P, Blum MA, Badgwell BD, Hofstetter WL. Mediastinal Nodal Involvement After Neoadjuvant Chemoradiation For Siewert II/III Adenocarcinoma. Ann Thorac Surg 108(3):845-851, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31102632.
- Nelson DB, Rice DC, Mitchell KG, Tsao AS, Gomez DR, Sepesi B, Mehran RJ. Return to intended oncologic treatment after surgery for malignant pleural mesothelioma. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 158(3):924-929, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31430846.
- Nelson DB, Mehran RJ, Mitchell KG, Rajaram R, Correa AM, Bassett RL, Antonoff MB, Hofstetter WL, Roth JA, Sepesi B, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC. Robotic Assisted Lobectomy For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Comprehensive Institutional Experience. Ann Thorac Surg 108(2):370-376, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31004583.
- Nelson DB, Mehran RJ, Mitchell KG, Correa AM, Sepesi B, Antonoff MB, Rice DC. Enhanced recovery after thoracic surgery is associated with improved adjuvant chemotherapy completion for non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 158(1):279-286.e1, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31014665.
- Gomez DR, Rimner A, Simone CB, Cho BCJ, de Perrot M, Adjei AA, Bueno R, Gill RR, Harpole DH, Hesdorffer M, Hirsch FR, Jackson AA, Pass HI, Rice DC, Rusch VW, Tsao AS, Yorke E, Rosenzweig K. The Use of Radiation Therapy for the Treatment of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma: Expert Opinion from the National Cancer Institute Thoracic Malignancy Steering Committee, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, and Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation. J Thorac Oncol 14(7):1172-1183, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31125736.
- Nelson DB, Rice DC, Mitchell KG, Tsao AS, Vaporciyan AA, Antonoff MB, Hofstetter WL, Walsh GL, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Gomez DR, Mehran RJ, Sepesi B. Defining the role of adjuvant radiotherapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma: a propensity-matched landmark analysis of the National Cancer Database. J Thorac Dis 11(4):1269-1278, 2019. PMID: 31179069.
- Marcus RK, Lillemoe HA, Rice DC, Mena G, Bednarski BK, Speer BB, Ramirez PT, Lasala JD, Navai N, Williams WH, Kim BJ, Voss RK, Gottumukkala VN, Aloia TA. Determining the Safety and Efficacy of Enhanced Recovery Protocols in Major Oncologic Surgery: An Institutional NSQIP Analysis. Ann Surg Oncol 26(3):782-790, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30627879.
- Nelson DB, Tam AL, Mitchell KG, Rice DC, Mehran RJ, Sepesi B, Antonoff MB, Vaporciyan AA, Hofstetter WL. Local Recurrence After Microwave Ablation of Lung Malignancies: A Systematic Review. Ann Thorac Surg. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30508527.
- Nelson DB, Lapid DJ, Mitchell KG, Correa AM, Hofstetter WL, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Sepesi B, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Antonoff MB. Perioperative Outcomes for Stage I Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Differences Between Men and Women. Ann Thorac Surg. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30118712.
- Van Haren RM, Mehran RJ, Correa AM, Antonoff MB, Baker CM, Woodard TC, Hofstetter WL, Mena GE, Roth JA, Sepesi B, Swisher SG, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh GL, Rice DC. Enhanced Recovery Decreases Pulmonary and Cardiac Complications Following Thoracotomy for Lung Cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29530770.
- Nelson DB, Rice DC, Niu J, Atay SM, Vaporciyan AA, Antonoff MB, Hofstetter WL, Walsh GL, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Tsao AS, Gomez DR, Giordano SH, Mehran RJ, Sepesi B. Predictors of trimodality therapy and trends in therapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29211849.
- Nelson DB, Rice DC, Niu J, Atay S, Vaporciyan AA, Antonoff M, Hofstetter WL, Walsh GL, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Tsao A, Gomez D, Giordano SH, Mehran R, Sepesi B. Long-Term Survival Outcomes of Cancer-Directed Surgery for Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma: Propensity Score Matching Analysis. J Clin Oncol 35(29):JCO2017738401, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28817374.
- Bassuner JK, Rice DC, Antonoff MB, Correa AM, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA, Garg N, Sepesi B, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Roth JA, Mehran RJ. Polytetrafluoroethylene or Acellular Dermal Matrix for Diaphragmatic Reconstruction?. Ann Thorac Surg 103(6):1710-1714, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28366460.
- Rice D, Heil JW, Biernat L. Pharmacokinetic Profile and Tolerability of Liposomal Bupivacaine Following a Repeated Dose via Local Subcutaneous Infiltration in Healthy Volunteers. Clin Drug Investig. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28120158.
- Mehran RJ, Martin LW, Baker CM, Mena GE, Rice DC. Pain Management in an Enhanced Recovery Pathway After Thoracic Surgical Procedures. Ann Thorac Surg 102(6):e595-e596, 2016. PMID: 27847094.
- Rice D, Chansky K, Nowak A, Pass H, Kindler H, Shemanski L, Opitz I, Call S, Hasegawa S, Kernstine K, Atinkaya C, Rea F, Nafteux P, Rusch VW, Mesothelioma Domain of the IASLC Staging and Prognostic Factors Committee, advisory boards and participating institutions. The IASLC Mesothelioma Staging Project: Proposals for Revisions of the N Descriptors in the Forthcoming Eighth Edition of the TNM Classification for Pleural Mesothelioma. J Thorac Oncol 11(12):2100-2111, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27687964.
- Rusch VW, Chansky K, Kindler HL, Nowak AK, Pass HI, Rice DC, Shemanski L, Galateau-Sallé F, McCaughan BC, Nakano T, Ruffini E, van Meerbeeck JP, Yoshimura M, IASLC Staging and Prognostic Factors Committee, advisory boards, and participating institutions. The IASLC Mesothelioma Staging Project: Proposals for the M Descriptors and for Revision of the TNM Stage Groupings in the Forthcoming (Eighth) Edition of the TNM Classification for Mesothelioma. J Thorac Oncol 11(12):2112-2119, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27687962.
- Sepesi B, Rice DC, Heymach JV, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG. Stage I lung cancer-to operate or to radiate? that is the question. J Thorac Dis 8(9):2324-2327, 2016. PMID: 27746966.
- Rice D, Sepesi B, Heymach J, Swisher S, Vaporciyan A. SABR vs surgery for NSCLC in the media. Lancet Oncol 16(9):e422, 2015. PMID: 26370343.
- Rice DC, Cata JP, Mena GE, Rodriguez-Restrepo A, Correa AM, Mehran RJ. Posterior Intercostal Nerve Block With Liposomal Bupivacaine: An Alternative to Thoracic Epidural Analgesia. Ann Thorac Surg 99(6):1953-60, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25912739.
- Tsao AS, Harun N, Fujimoto J, Devito V, Lee JJ, Kuhn E, Mehran R, Rice D, Moran C, Hong WK, Shen L, Suraokar M, Wistuba I. Elevated PDGFRB gene copy number gain is prognostic for improved survival outcomes in resected malignant pleural mesothelioma. Ann Diagn Pathol 18(3):140-5, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24747001.
- Gold KA, Kim ES, Liu DD, Yuan P, Behrens C, Solis LM, Kadara H, Rice DC, Wistuba II, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Lee JJ, Hong WK. Prediction of survival in resected non-small cell lung cancer using a protein-expression based risk model: Implications for personalized chemoprevention and therapy. Clin Cancer Res 20(7):1946-54, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24366692.
- Hellmann MD, Chaft JE, William WN, Rusch V, Pisters KM, Kalhor N, Pataer A, Travis WD, Swisher SG, Kris MG, University of Texas MD Anderson Lung Cancer Collaborative Group. Pathological response after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in resectable non-small-cell lung cancers: proposal for the use of major pathological response as a surrogate endpoint. Lancet Oncol 15(1):e42-50, 2014. PMID: 24384493.
- Sudo K, Taketa T, Correa AM, Campagna MC, Wadhwa R, Blum MA, Komaki R, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Weston B, Skinner HD, Maru DM, Rice DC, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Ajani JA. Locoregional Failure Rate After Preoperative Chemoradiation of Esophageal Adenocarcinoma and the Outcomes of Salvage Strategies. J Clin Oncol 31(34):4306-10, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24145339.
- Suzuki A, Xiao L, Taketa T, Sudo K, Wadhwa R, Blum MA, Skinner H, Komaki R, Weston B, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Rice DC, Maru DM, Erasmus J, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Ajani JA. Results of the baseline positron emission tomography can customize therapy of localized esophageal adenocarcinoma patients who achieve a clinical complete response after chemoradiation. Ann Oncol 24(11):2854-9, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23994746.
- Cheedella NK, Suzuki A, Xiao L, Hofstetter WL, Maru DM, Taketa T, Sudo K, Blum MA, Lin SH, Welch J, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Rice DC, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Ajani JA. Association between clinical complete response and pathological complete response after preoperative chemoradiation in patients with gastroesophageal cancer: analysis in a large cohort. Ann Oncol 24(5):1262-6, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23247658.
- Lopez Guerra JL, Gomez DR, Lin SH, Levy LB, Zhuang Y, Komaki R, Jaen J, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Cox JD, Liao Z, Rice DC. Risk factors for local and regional recurrence in patients with resected N0-N1 non-small-cell lung cancer, with implications for patient selection for adjuvant radiation therapy. Ann Oncol 24(1):67-74, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23002278.
- Ajani JA, Correa AM, Hofstetter WL, Rice DC, Blum MA, Suzuki A, Taketa T, Welsh J, Lin SH, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Ross WA, Maru DM, Macapinlac HA, Erasmus J, Komaki R, Mehran RJ, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG. Clinical parameters model for predicting pathologic complete response following preoperative chemoradiation in patients with esophageal cancer. Ann Oncol 23(10):2638-42, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22831985.
- Gomez DR, Cox JD, Roth JA, Allen PK, Wei X, Mehran RJ, Kim JY, Swisher SG, Rice DC, Komaki R. A prospective phase 2 study of surgery followed by chemotherapy and radiation for superior sulcus tumors. Cancer 118(2):444-51, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21713767.
- Stephens EH, Blackmon SH, Correa AM, Roth JA, Rice DC, Hofstetter W, Benjamin R, Mehran R, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA. Progression after Chemotherapy Is a Novel Predictor of Poor Outcomes after Pulmonary Metastasectomy in Sarcoma Patients. J Am Coll Surg 212(5):821-6, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21435923.
- Tang X, Kadara H, Behrens C, Liu DD, Xiao Y, Rice D, Gazdar AF, Fujimoto J, Moran C, Varella-Garcia M, Lee JJ, Hong WK, Wistuba II. Abnormalities of the TITF-1 lineage-specific oncogene in NSCLC: Implications in lung cancer pathogenesis and prognosis. Clin Cancer Res 17(8):2434-43, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21257719.
- Mehran R, Rice D, El-Zein R, Huang JL, Vaporciyan A, Goodyear A, Mehta A, Correa A, Walsh G, Roth J, Swisher S, Hofstetter W. Minimally invasive esophagectomy versus open esophagectomy, a symptom assessment study. Dis Esophagus 24(3):147-52, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21040152.
- Kountourakis P, Correa AM, Hofstetter WL, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Rice DC, Komaki R, Maru DM, Ross WA, Vaporciyan A, Swisher SG, Ajani JA. Combined modality therapy of cT2N0M0 esophageal cancer: the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center experience. Cancer 117(5):925-30, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20960497.
- Gaur P, Sepesi B, Hofstetter WL, Correa AM, Bhutani MS, Watson TJ, Swisher SG, MD Anderson Esophageal Cancer Group (Rice DC), University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry Foregut Group. Endoscopic esophageal tumor length: a prognostic factor for patients with esophageal cancer. Cancer 117(1):63-9, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20803613.
- Hayashi Y, Correa AM, Hofstetter WL, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC, Walsh GL, Mehran RJ, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Dekovich A, Swisher SG, Ajani JA. The influence of high body mass index on the prognosis of patients with esophageal cancer after surgery as primary therapy. Cancer 116(24):5619-5627, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21136578.
- Ajani JA, Correa AM, Walsh GL, Komaki R, Lee JH, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC, Yao JC, Maru DM, Hofstetter WL, Phan AT, Swisher SG. Trimodality therapy without a platinum compound for localized carcinoma of the esophagus and gastroesophageal junction. Cancer 116(7):1656-63, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20143431.
- Rice DC, Stevens CW, Correa AM, Vaporciyan AA, Tsao A, Forster KM, Walsh GL, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Mehran RJ, Roth JA, Liao Z, Smythe WR. Outcomes after extrapleural pneumonectomy and intensity-modulated radiation therapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma. Ann Thorac Surg 84(5):1685-1692, 2007. PMID: 17954086.
- Rice DC, Smythe WR, Liao Z, Guerrero T, Chang JY, McAleer MF, Jeter MD, Correa A, Vaporciyan AA, Liu HH, Komaki R, Forster KM, Stevens CW. Dose-dependent pulmonary toxicity after postoperative intensity-modulated radiotherapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69(2):350-7, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17467922.
- Rohatgi P, Swisher SG, Correa AM, Wu TT, Liao Z, Komaki R, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC, Roth JA, Ajani JA. Characterization of pathologic complete response after preoperative chemoradiotherapy in carcinoma of the esophagus and outcome after pathologic complete response. Cancer 104(11):2365-72, 2005. PMID: 16245310.
- Rohatgi PR, Swisher SG, Correa AM, Wu TT, Liao Z, Komaki R, Walsh G, Vaporciyan A, Lynch PM, Rice DC, Roth JA, Ajani JA. Failure patterns correlate with the proportion of residual carcinoma after preoperative chemoradiotherapy for carcinoma of the esophagus. Cancer 104(7):1349-55, 2005. PMID: 16130133.
- Swisher SG, Hofstetter W, Wu TT, Correa AM, Ajani JA, Komaki RR, Chirieac L, Hunt KK, Liao Z, Phan A, Rice DC, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh GL, Roth JA. Proposed revision of the esophageal cancer staging system to accommodate pathologic response (pP) following preoperative chemoradiation (CRT). Ann Surg 241(5):810-7; discussion 817-20, 2005. PMID: 15849517.
- Swisher SG, Erasmus J, Maish M, Correa AM, Macapinlac H, Ajani JA, Cox JD, Komaki RR, Hong D, Lee HK, Putnam JB, Rice DC, Smythe WR, Thai L, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh GL, Wu TT, Roth JA. 2-Fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography imaging is predictive of pathologic response and survival after preoperative chemoradiation in patients with esophageal carcinoma. Cancer 101(8):1776-85, 2004. PMID: 15386332.
- Swisher SG, Maish M, Erasmus JJ, Correa AM, Ajani JA, Bresalier R, Komaki R, Macapinlac H, Munden RF, Putnam JB, Rice D, Smythe WR, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh GL, Wu TT, Roth JA. Utility of PET, CT, and EUS to identify pathologic responders in esophageal cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 78(4):1152-1160, 2004. PMID: 15464463.
- Ahamad A, Stevens CW, Smythe WR, Liao Z, Vaporciyan AA, Rice D, Walsh G, Guerrero T, Chang J, Bell B, Komaki R, Forster KM. Promising early local control of malignant pleural mesothelioma following postoperative intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) to the chest. Cancer J 9(6):476-484, 2003. PMID: 14740977.
- Hofstetter W, Swisher SG, Correa AM, Hess K, Putnam JB, Ajani JA, Dolormente M, Francisco R, Komaki RR, Lara A, Martin F, Rice DC, Sarabia AJ, Smythe WR, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh GL, Roth JA. Treatment outcomes of resected esophageal cancer. Ann Surg 236(3):376-84; discussion 384-5, 2002. PMID: 12192324.
- Rice DC, Yu P. Use of supercharged jejunal flap for esophageal reconstruction. Operative Techniques in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 15(3):243-257, 2010.
- Rice DC, Reardon MJ. Left heart sarcomas. Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J 6(3):49-56, 2010. PMID: 20834212.
- Rice DC. Further considerations in the treatment of locally advanced lung cancer. Oncology (Williston Park) 24(3):241, 247, 253, 2010. PMID: 20394136.
- Bakaeen FG, Jaroszewski DE, Rice DC, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SS, Benjamin R, Blackmon S, Reardon MJ. Outcomes after surgical resection of cardiac sarcoma in the multimodality treatment era. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137(6):1454-60, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19464464.
- Rice D. Surgery for malignant pleural mesothelioma. Ann Diagn Pathol 13(1):65-72, 2009. PMID: 19118786.
- Nigam R, de Villalobos D, Rice D, Rozner MA, Nates JL. Acute postoperative superior vena cava syndrome. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 22(4):584-6, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 18662637.
- Kent M, Rice D, Flores R. Diagnosis, Staging and Surgical Treatment of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Curr Treat Options Oncol 9(2-3):158-170, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18758965.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Rice DC. Diagnosis and management of lung cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (3rd Edition), 2010.
- Rice D Invited commentary. Ann Thorac Surg 89(1):210-1, 2010. PMID: 20103237.
- Rice DC. The Staging of Lung Cancer. In: Diagnostic Pathology of Pleuropulmonary Neoplasia. Springer: New York, 39-51, 2013.
- Rice D. Malignant Pleural and Pericardial Effusions in Breast Cancer. In: Advanced Therapy of Breast Disease. 3rd. People's Medical Publishing House-USA: Shelton, Connecticut, 1035-1047, 2012.
- Rice D. Surgical Therapy of Mesothelioma. In: Recent Results Cancer Res, 97-125, 2011.
- Suster S, Moran CA, Rice DC. Mediastinum. In: Intraoperative Consultation in Surgical Pathology. Cambridge University Press: United Kingdom, 77-91, 2010.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||Feasibility Study of Anatomical Modeling for Image Guided Thoracic Surgery|
|Title:||A Phase 3, Randomized, Single dose, Open-Label Study to Investigate the Safety and Efficacy of OTL38 Injection for Intraoperative Imaging of Folate Receptor Positive Lung Nodules|
|Funding Source:||Ontarget Laboratories|