About Dr. MacFarlane
A graduate of Otago Medical School, New Zealand, Dr. Deborah MacFarlane received training in general surgery at Auckland Hospital New Zealand, Ohio State University and Massaschusetts General Hospital. After completing a dermatology fellowship she trained in dermatology at Columbia Presbyterian, New York. Following this she received specialty training in Mohs Micrographic Surgery at Baylor, Houston and joined the faculty at Oklahoma Health Sciences Center as Director of Mohs and Dermatologic Surgery. She holds the appointments of Professor of Dermatology and Head and Neck.
Dr. MacFarlane is a Diplomat of the American Board of Dermatology, an Associate of the American College of Mohs Surgery and a fellow in the American Academy of Dermatology. She is a member of the American Society of Dermatologic Surgeons and the Women's Dermatologic Society. The editor of a textbook on skin cancer and author of numerous papers. Dr. MacFarlane is an active lecturer both nationally and internationally.
Professor, Department of Dermatology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1985||University of Otago, NZL, MBChB|
|1983||Sydney University, Sydney, AUS, MPH, Public Health|
|1979||University of Otago, Christchurch, NZL, BS, Psychology (Hons) First Class|
|1996||Diplomat of the American Board of Dermatology|
Associate Professor, Department of Dermatology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2003 - 2009
Director of Mohs Laboratory, Department of Dermatology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 2009 - 2016
Fellowship Program Director, Department of Dermatology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2016
Director of Cosmetic Surgery, Department of Dermatology, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX, 2003 - 2009
- Chodkiewicz H, Karni R, MacFarlane, DF. Use of the Parell Frontal Sinus T-Stent to prevent external auditory canal stenosis. Dermatology Surgery 41(8):983-985, 2015.
- MacFarlane DF, Wysong A. A Schema Using Fixed Anatomic Landmarks for Biopsy Site Identification on the Head and Neck. Dermatol Surg 39(11):1705-8, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23870072.
- Shimizu I, Cohen PR, Macfarlane DF. Surgical Treatment of Basal Cell Carcinoma of the Nail Unit. Int J Dermatol 52(8):996-8, 2013. PMID: 23869928.
- Shimizu I, MacFarlane DF. Full-thickness skin grafts may not need tie-over bolster dressings. Dermatol Surg 39(5):726-8, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23379480.
- Delaney A, Shimizu I, Goldberg LH, MacFarlane DF. Life expectancy after Mohs micrographic surgery in patients aged 90 years and older. J Am Acad Dermatol 68(2):296-300, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23200199.
Books (edited and written)
- Weber RS, Moore BA. Cutaneous Malignancy of the Head and Neck: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Ed(s) MacFarlane DF. Plural Publishing, Inc, 2011.
- MacFarlane DF,. Skin Cancer Management-A Practical Approach. Springer, 2010.