About Dr. Bedi
Dr. Deepak Bedi, a clinical and academic radiologist for 33 years, joined MD Anderson Cancer Center in 1997, after a distinguished career start and tenure at University of Texas Medical Branch and a State University of New York Buffalo clinical appointment. As Director of Body Ultrasound, he supervises routine abdominal, pelvic, vascular and soft tissue studies, guided biopsies and intra-operative imaging, trans-vaginal biopsy, US of the eye and liver elastography for fibrosis classification. He is an US imaging consultant to the NASA space program for routine studies on astronauts, as well as investigation of the effects of outer space microgravity on vision in long duration International Space Station Expeditions. His research interests involve developing unique uses of ultrasound in cancer, particularly soft tissues, and investigating the role of ultrasound in detecting early stage ovarian cancer. He is the founder and Chair of an annual US educational CME program for physicians and technologists. As Editor of Ultrasound International Open Journal, he reviews and promotes online publication of ultrasound research. Dr. Bedi serves as consultant and advisory board member to major ultrasound equipment manufacturers in the development and testing of equipment innovations. Under his guidance, the ultrasound section practices a problem-solving approach in the care of our patients.
Clinical Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Ovarian Cancer: the role of ultrasound in facilitating early diagnosis
Deep Vein Thrombosis in Cancer Patients: predicting results based on clinical factors
Shear Wave Elastography of Liver: Can it replace liver biopsy in classifying fibrosis?
Unique applications of Ultrasound in Cancer, e.g. the eye, soft tissue cancers, bone & joints
Gynecologic Imaging: diagnosis of early stage ovarian cancer
Problem solving approach in cancer: providing a consultative service to clinicians seeking specific answers
Minimally invasive procedures, including trans-vaginal guided biopsy
|1976||University of Nairobi, Nairobi, KEN, MB, ChB (equivalent MD), Medicine|
|1981-1982||Clinical Fellowship, Radiology: Computed Tomography & Ultrasound, Oakwood Hospital, Dearborn, MI|
|1977-1981||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, Oakwood Hospital, Dearborn, MI|
|1976-1977||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine and General Surgery, Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi|
|1982||American Board of Radiology|
|2016||Hind Rattan Award, NRI Welfare Society of India|
|2011||Certificate of Merit, Radiological Society of North America|
|2004||Certificate of Merit, European Congress of Radiology|
|2003||First Place, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine/ World Federation of Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology|
|2002||Certificate of Merit, Radiological Society of North America|
|2001||Cum Laude, Radiological Society of North America|
|1999||Certificate of Merit, American Roentgen Ray Society|
|1985||Certificate of Merit, Radiological Society of North America|
- Bhosale PR, Wei W, Ernst RD, Bathala TK, Reading RM, Wood CG, Bedi DG. Intraoperative sonography during open partial nephrectomy for renal cell cancer: does it alter surgical management?. AJR Am J Roentgenol 203(4):822-7, 2014. PMID: 25247947.
- Lu KH, Skates S, Hernandez MA, Bedi D, Bevers T, Leeds L, Moore R, Granai C, Harris S, Newland W, Adeyinka O, Geffen J, Deavers MT, Sun CC, Horick N, Fritsche H, Bast RC. A 2-stage ovarian cancer screening strategy using the risk of ovarian cancer algorithm (ROCA) identifies early-stage incident cancers and demonstrates high positive predictive value. Cancer 119(19):3454-3461, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23983047.
- Mader TH, Gibson CR, Pass AF, Lee AG, Killer HE, Hansen HC, Dervay JP, Barratt MR, Tarver WJ, Sargsyan AE, Kramer LA, Riascos R, Bedi DG, Pettit DR. Optic Disc Edema in an Astronaut After Repeat Long-Duration Space Flight. J Neuroophthalmol 33(3):249-255, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23851997.
- Wasnik AP, Menias CO, Platt JF, Lalchandani UR, Bedi DG, Elsayes KM. Multimodality imaging of ovarian cystic lesions: Review with an imaging based algorithmic approach. World J Radiol 5(3):113-25, 2013. PMID: 23671748.
- Yang T, Pandya A, Marcal L, Bude RO, Platt JF, Bedi DG, Elsayes KM. Sonohysterography: Principles, technique and role in diagnosis of endometrial pathology. World J Radiol 5(3):81-7, 2013. PMID: 23671744.
- Marcal LP, Patnana M, Bhosale P, Bedi DG. Intraoperative abdominal ultrasound in oncologic imaging. World J Radiol 5(3):51-60, 2013. PMID: 23671741.
- Dalal S, Hui D, Bidaut L, Lem K, Del Fabbro E, Crane C, Reyes-Gibby CC, Bedi D, Bruera E. Relationships among body mass index, longitudinal body composition alterations, and survival in patients with locally advanced pancreatic cancer receiving chemoradiation: A pilot study. J Pain Symptom Manage 44(2):181-91, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22695045.
- Heng Tan C, Bedi D, Vikram R. Sonography of thrombosis of the deep veins of the extremities: Clinical perspectives and imaging review. J Clin Ultrasound 40(1):31-43, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22105376.
- The PROTECT Investigators for the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group and the Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society Clinical Trials Group. (Dr. Deepak Bedi, lead ultrasound radiologist at UTMDACC). Dalteparin versus unfractionated heparin in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 364(14):1305-14, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21417952.
- Patnana M, Bronstein Y, Szklaruk J, Bedi D, Hwu WJ, Gershenwald JE, Prieto VG, Ng CS. Multimethod imaging, staging, and spectrum of manifestations of metastatic melanoma. Clin Radiol 66(3):224-36, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21295201.
- Bedi DG, Krishnamurthy R, Krishnamurthy S, Edeiken BS, Le-Petross H, Fornage BD, Bassett RL, Hunt KK. Cortical morphologic features of axillary lymph nodes as a predictor of metastasis in breast cancer: in vitro sonographic study. AJR Am J Roentgenol 191(3):646-652, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18716089.
- Bedi DG, Gombos DS, Ng CS, Singh S. Sonography of the eye. AJR Am J Roentgenol 187(4):1061-1072, 2006. PMID: 16985158.
- Bedrosian I, Bedi D, Kuerer HM, Fornage BD, Harker L, Ross MI, Ames FC, Krishnamurthy S, Edeiken-Monroe BS, Meric F, Feig BW, Akins J, Singletary SE, Mirza NQ, Hunt KK. Impact of clinicopathological factors on sensitivity of axillary ultrasonography in the detection of axillary nodal metastases in patients with breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 10(9):1025-1030, 2003. PMID: 14597440.
- Edeiken BS, Fornage BD, Bedi DG, Sneige N, Parulekar SG, Pleasure J. Recurrence in autogenous myocutaneous flap reconstruction after mastectomy for primary breast cancer: US diagnosis. Radiology 227(2):542-8, 2003. PMID: 12732703.
- Krishnamurthy S, Sneige N, Bedi DG, Edieken BS, Fornage BD, Kuerer HM, Singletary SE, Hunt KK. Role of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of indeterminate and suspicious axillary lymph nodes in the initial staging of breast carcinoma. Cancer 95(5):982-988, 2002. PMID: 12209680.
- Bedi DG, Davidson DM. Plantar fibromatosis: most common sonographic appearance and variations. J Clin Ultrasound 29(9):499-505, 2001. PMID: 11745860.
- Krishnamurthy S, Bedi DG, Caraway NP. Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid bed. Cancer 93(3):199-205, 2001. PMID: 11391607.
- Le O, Wood C, Bedi DG, et al. Feasibility study of contrast enhanced intraoperative ultrasound for detection and characterization of renal mass undergoing open partial nephrectomy. ARRS, 2015.
- Bedi DG, Krishnamurthy R, Krishnamurthy S, Edeiken B, Le-Petross H, Hunt K, Feig BW, Singletary SE, Ross MI, Ames FC, Bedrosian I, Meric F, Kuerer HM, Fornage BD. Cortical morphology of axillary lymph nodes as a predictor of metastatic disease in breast cancer; an in-vitro ultrasound study. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 106th Annual Meeting of the American Roentgen Ray Society [Scientific Exhibition] 186:A79, 2006.
- Bedi DG, Gombos D, Ng C, Singh S. Ultrasound of the eye. Ultrasound Med Biol, 10th Congress of the World Federation of Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology [Scientific Presentation] 29(S1):125, 2003.
- Bedi DG, Gombos D, Ng C, Singh S. Sonography of the eye: normal anatomy and pathology. Radiology, Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting [Scientific Presentation] 225(P Supplement):720, 2002.
- Vikram R, Bedi DG. Deep vein thrombosis in critically ill patients: Ultrasound diagnosis. In: Critical Care for Cancer Patients. Springer.
Letters to the Editor
- Bedi DG. Axillary lymph nodes in breast cancer: ultrasound appearance. AJR Am J Roentgenol 197: W194, 2011.