About Dr. Devarati Mitra
Dr. Devarati Mitra received her MD and PhD at Harvard Medical School before completing her residency training at the Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, working at Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center. She is now an Assistant Professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
In her appointment to the Melanoma & Sarcoma Radiation Oncology section she specializes in the treatment of patients with melanoma, non-melanoma skin malignancies and bone or soft tissue sarcoma. Her clinical focus is on providing personalized patient care that brings the optimal radiation therapy approach to each patient’s unique cancer experience.
Her research is focused on how to combine modern radiation approaches with novel systemic therapies, including immunotherapy and molecularly targeted agents. She has received research funding from multiple extramural sources including the National Institutes of Health (NIH), American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) and American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO). Her research has been published across a variety of peer-reviewed journals and she is working on several clinical trials to continue to improve outcomes for cancer patients.
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2014||Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2012||Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA, PHD, Biology & Biomedical Sciences|
|2006||Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA, BS, Biological Sciences|
|2015-2019||Clinical Residency, Radiation Oncology, Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, Boston, MA|
|2014-2015||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA|
Residency Education Case Conference Coordinator, Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, Boston, MA, 2018 - 2019
Medical Student Education Coordinator, Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, Boston, MA, 2018 - 2019
Harvard College Non-Resident Tutor, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 2014 - 2018
Harvard College Resident Tutor, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 2008 - 2014
|2018||Conquer Cancer Foundation Merit Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology|
|2018||Conquer Cancer Foundation Merit Award, Clinical Immuno-Oncology Symposium|
|2018||ASCO Young Investigator Award, Dana Farber Cancer Institute|
|2018||William Shipley Research Award, Massachusetts General Hospital|
|2017||ASTRO Resident Seed Grant, Dana Farber Cancer Institute|
|2012||F30 Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award Individual Predoctoral Fellowship, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences|
|2011||Scholar-in-Training Award, American Association for Cancer Research|
|2006||Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society, Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society|
|2005||Goldwater Scholarship, Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program|
|2002||National Merit Scholarship, National Merit Scholarship Corporation|
|2002||Maryland Distinguished Scholar, Maryland|
|2002||United States Marine Corps Scholastic Excellence Award, United States Marine Corps|
|2002||National AP Scholar, The College Board|
- Mito JK*, Mitra D*, Barysauskas CM, Mariño-Enriquez A, Morgan EA, Fletcher CDM, Raut CP, Baldini EH, Doyle LA (*authors contributed equally to this work). A Comparison of Outcomes and Prognostic Features for Radiation-Associated Angiosarcoma of the Breast and Other Radiation-Associated Sarcomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 104(2):425-435, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30703514.
- Mitra D, Chen YH, Li R, Hermann G, Atkins K, Kozono D, Baldini EH, Aizer A, Chukwueke U, Mak RH. EGFR mutant locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer is at increased risk of brain metastasis. Clin Transl Radiat Oncol 18:32-38, 2019.
- Mitra D, Clark JW, Shih HA, Oh KS, Brastianos PK, Wo JY, Strickland MR, Curry WT, Parikh AR, Corcoran RB, Ryan DP, Iafrate AJ, Borger DR, Lennerz JK, Hong TS. Enrichment of Her2 amplification in brain metastases from primary gastrointestinal malignancies. Oncologist 24(2):193-201, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30373904.
- Fitarelli-Kiehl M, Ashtaputre R, Yu F, Supplee J, Paweletz C, Mitra D, Schoenfeld JD, Parengi Sarh, Makrigiorgos GM. DNA end-repair and denaturation enhances digital droplet PCR-based analysis of small input liquid biopsies. Clin Chem 64(12):1762-1771, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30274976.
- Rose B*, Mitra D*, Hong TS, Jee KW, Niemierko A, Drapek LN, Blaszkowsky LS, Allen JN, Murphy JE, Clark JW, Ryan DP, Wo JY (*authors contributed equally to this work). Irradiation of anatomically defined pelvic subsites and acute hematologic toxicity in anal cancer patients undergoing chemoradiation. Pract Radiat Oncol 7(5):e291-e297, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28462895.
- Mitra D, Hong TS, Horick N, Rose B, Drapek LN, Blaszkowsky LS, Allen JN, Kwak EL, Murphy JE, Clark JW, Ryan DP, Cusack JC, Bordeianou LG, Berger DL, Wo JY. Long-term outcomes and toxicities of a large cohort of anal cancer patients treated with dose-painted IMRT per RTOG 0529. Adv Radiat Oncol 2(2):110-117, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28740921.
- Shen CH, Kim SH, Trousil S, Frederick DT, Piris A, Yuan P, Cai L, Gu L, Li M, Lee JH, Mitra D, Fisher DE, Sullivan RJ, Flaherty KT, Zheng B. Loss of cohesin complex components STAG2 or STAG3 confers resistance to BRAF inhibition in melanoma. Nat Med 22(9):1056-61, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27500726.
- Mitra D, Catalano PJ, Cimbak N, Damato AL, Muto MG, Viswanathan AN. The risk of lymphedema after postoperative radiation therapy in endometrial cancer. J Gynecol Oncol 27(1):e4, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26463430.
- Mitra D, Nout R, Catalano PJ, Creutzberg C, Cimbak N, Lee L, Viswanathan AN. Rectal bleeding after radiation therapy for endometrial cancer. Radiother Oncol 115(2):240-5, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26003340.
- Cooper ZA, Juneja VR, Sage PT, Frederick DT, Piris A, Mitra D, Lo JA, Hodi FS, Freeman GJ, Bosenberg MW, McMahon M, Flaherty KT, Fisher DE, Sharpe AH, Wargo JA. Response to BRAF inhibition in melanoma is enhanced when combined with immune checkpoint blockade. Cancer Immunol Res 2(7):643-54, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24903021.
- Luo X, Mitra D, Sullivan RJ, Wittner BS, Kimura AM, Pan S, Hoang MP, Brannigan BW, Lawrence DP, Flaherty KT, Sequist LV, McMahon M, Bosenberg MW, Stott SL, Ting DT, Ramaswamy S, Toner M, Fisher DE, Maheswaran S, Haber DA. Isolation and molecular characterization of circulating melanoma cells. Cell Rep 7(3):645-53, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24746818.
- Liu S, Wang J, Su Y, Guerrero C, Zeng Y, Mitra D, Brooks PJ, Fisher DE, Song H, Wang Y. Quantitative assessment of Tet-induced oxidation products of 5-methylcytosine in cellular and tissue DNA. Nucleic Acids Research 41(13):6421-9, 2013. PMID: 23658232.
- Frederick DT, Piris A, Cogdill AP, Cooper ZA, Lezcano C, Ferrone CR, Mitra D, Boni A, Newton LP, Liu C, Peng W, Sullivan RJ, Lawrence DP, Hodi FS, Overwijk WW, Lizée G, Murphy GF, Hwu P, Flaherty KT, Fisher DE, Wargo JA. BRAF Inhibition Is Associated with Enhanced Melanoma Antigen Expression and a More Favorable Tumor Microenvironment in Patients with Metastatic Melanoma. Clinical Cancer Research 19(5):1225-31, 2013. PMID: 23307859.
- Mitra D, Luo X, Morgan A, Wang J, Hoang MP, Lo J, Guerrero CR, Lennerz JK, Mihm MC, Wargo JA, Robinson KC, Devi SP, Vanover JC, D'Orazio JA, McMahon M, Bosenberg MW, Haigis KM, Haber DA, Wang Y, Fisher DE. An ultraviolet-radiation-independent pathway to melanoma carcinogenesis in the red hair/fair skin background. Nature 491(7424), 2012. PMID: 23123854.
- Levine CG, Mitra D, Sharma A, Smith CL, Hegde RS. The efficiency of protein compartmentalization into the secretory pathway. Molecular Biology of the Cell 16(1):279-91, 2005. PMID: 15496459.
- Beckman JA, Liao JK, Hurley S, Garrett LA, Chui D, Mitra D, Creager MA. Atorvastatin restores endothelial function in normocholesterolemic smokers independent of changes in low-density lipoprotein. Circ Res 95(2):217-23, 2004. e-Pub 2004. PMID: 15178637.
- Kim SJ, Mitra D, Salerno JR, Hegde RS. Signal sequences control gating of the protein translocation channel in a substrate-specific manner. Developmental Cell 2(2), 2002. PMID: 11832246.
- Yerramilli D, Drapek L, Nipp RD, Horick N, Moran SMC, Noé B, D'Arpino SM, Mitra D, Hong TS, Ryan DP, Dizon DS, Wo J. Sexual Function, Quality of Life, and Mood After Radiation Therapy in Patients with Anal Cancer. J Gastrointest Cancer. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30980294.
- Mitra D, Horick N, Brackett DG, Mouw K, Hornick JL, Hong TS, Ryan DP, Parikh AR, Clark JW, Deshpande V, Wo JY. The immune milieu of anal squamous cell carcinoma: IDO expression is correlated with poor outcome. Journal of Clinical Oncology 102(3), 2018.
- Mitra D, Agarwal V, Chen YH, Baldini EH, Barbie DA, Chen AB, Glass B, Beck A, Herman G, Kozono DE, Schoenfeld JD, Mak RH. The prognostic significance of PDL1 expression in locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer treated with definitive intent. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2018.
- Mitra D, Mito J, Barysauskas CM, Raut CP, Doyle L, Baldini EH. Outcomes for Localized Radiation-Associated Sarcoma (RAS), Excluding Breast Angiosarcoma. International Journal of Radiation Oncology 99(2):755-6, 2017.
- Mitra D, Hong TS, Horick N, Rose B, Drapek LN, Blaszkowsky LS, Allen JN, Kwak EL, Murphy JE, Clark JW, Ryan DP, Cusack JC, Bordeianou LG, Berger DL, Wo JY. Long term outcomes and toxicity of anal cancer patients treated per RTOG 0529. Adv Radiat Oncol 2(2):110-117, 2017.
- D. Mitra, N.C. Cimbak, L.J. Lee, and A.N. Viswanathan. Lymphedema: Is It Associated With Lymph-Node Involvement in. International Journal of Radiation Oncology 90(1):716-7, 2014.
- Mitra D, Nout R, Creutzberg C, Lee L, Cimbak N, Viswanathan A. Does vaginal brachytherapy (VB) boost after external beam radiation therapy (EBRT) increase rectal bleeding? Comparing results of combined EBRT+VB to PORTEC-2 data for EBRT alone and VB alone. International Journal of Radiation Oncology 90(1), 2014.
- Mitra D, Cimbak N, Damato AL, Lee L, Viswanathan A. Vaginal cuff brachytherapy after external beam radiation is not associated with a dose-related increase in late toxicities. Brachytherapy 13:77, 2014.
- Mitra D, Shih HA, Oh KS, Brastianos PK, Wo JY, Curry WT, Clark JW, Parikh AR, Corcoran R, Ryan DP, Lennerz JK, Hong TS. Her2 positivity in brain metastases from gastrointestinal primary malignancies. Journal of Clinical Oncology 14(2), 2014.
- Mitra D, Luo X, Morgan A, Wargo J, Fisher DE. Why redheads are at increased risk of melanoma: A novel BRAF mutant mouse model. American Association for Cancer Research 71(18), 2011.
|Title:||Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service F30 Award|
|Funding Source:||National Cancer Institute (NCI)|
|Title:||Resident Seed Grant|
|Funding Source:||American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO)|
|Title:||Young Investigator Award|
|Funding Source:||American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)|