Meet Lakshmi Koyyalagunta, M.D.
Present Title & Affiliation
Professor, Department of Pain Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|1987||Grant Medical College, Bombay, IND, DA, Anesthesiology|
|1984||Grant Medical College, Bombay, IND, MBBS, Medicine/Surgery|
|1999-1999||Clinical Fellowship, Pain Management, Beth Israel Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA|
|1995-1998||Clinical Residency, Anesthesiology, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, MA|
|1994-1995||Clinical Residency, Transitional, Metro West Medical Center, Framingham, MA|
|2001||American Board of Anesthesiology, Diplomate, Pain Management|
|2000||American Board of Anesthesiology, Diplomate|
|1980||Maharashtra State Board (Maharashtra, India)|
Experience & Service
Associate Professor, Department of Pain Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2011
Associate Professor, UTMB, Galveston, TX, 2005 - 2005
Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, UTMB, Galveston, TX, 2000 - 2005
Staff Anesthesiologist, Department of Anesthesiology, ESIS Hospital, Pune, 1988 - 1991
Clinical Medical Director, Department of Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2012
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee, 2011 - 2014
Member, Faculty Senate, 2010 - Present
Review Member, Credentials Committee of Medical Staff (CCMS), 2009 - 2019
Member, Clinical Research Committee (CRC), 2006 - 2009
Honors & Awards
|1998||Distinguished Resident, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, MA|
- Novy DM, Lam C, Gritz ER, Hernandez M, Driver LC, Koyyalagunta D. Distinguishing Features of Cancer Patients Who Smoke: Pain, Symptom Burden, and Risk for Opioid Misuse. J Pain 13(11):1058-67, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23010143.
- Koyyalagunta D, Bruera E, Solanki DR, Nouri KH, Burton AW, Toro MP, Bruel BM, Manchikanti L. A systematic review of randomized trials on the effectiveness of opioids for cancer pain. Pain Physician 15(3Suppl)(ES 39-58):ES39-58, 2012. PMID: 22786461.
- Manchikanti L, Abdi S, Atluri S, Balog CC, Benyamin RM, Boswell MV, Brown KR, Bruel BM, Bryce DA, Burks PA, Burton AW, Calodney AK, Caraway DL, Cash KA, Christo PJ, Damron KS, Datta S, Deer TR, Diwan S, Eriator I, Falco FJ, Fellows B, Geffert S, Gharibo CG, Glaser SE, Grider JS, Hameed H, Hameed M, Hansen H, Harned ME, Hayek SM, Helm S, Hirsch JA, Janata JW, Kaye AD, Kaye AM, Kloth DS, Koyyalagunta D, Lee M, Malla Y, Manchikanti KN, McManus CD, Pampati V, Parr AT, Pasupuleti R, Patel VB, Sehgal N, Silverman SM, Singh V, Smith HS, Snook LT, Solanki DR, Tracy DH, Vallejo R, Wargo BW, American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians. American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) guidelines for responsible opioid prescribing in chronic non-cancer pain: Part 2--guidance. Pain Physician 15(3Suppl)(S67-116):S67-116, 2012. PMID: 22786449.
- Mendoza TR, Koyyalagunta D, Burton AW, Thomas SK, Phan MH, Giralt SA, Shah JJ, Cleeland CS. Changes in Pain and Other Symptoms in Patients With Painful Multiple Myeloma-Related Vertebral Fracture Treated With Kyphoplasty or Vertebroplasty. J Pain 13(6):564-70, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22543044.
- Koyyalagunta D, Doulatram G. Diagnosis and Management of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome I and II. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Web site: Orthopaedic Knowledge Online, 2012.
- Burton AW, Mendoza T, Gebhardt R, Hamid B, Nouri K, Perez-Toro M, Ting J, Koyyalagunta D. Vertebral compression fracture treatment with vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty: experience in 407 patients with 1,156 fractures in a tertiary cancer center. Pain Med 12(12):1750-7, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22123171.
- Koyyalagunta D, Burton AW, Toro MP, Driver L, Novy DM. Opioid abuse in cancer pain: report of two cases and presentation of an algorithm of multidisciplinary care. Pain Physician 14(July-August 2011):E361-71, 2011. PMID: 21785486.
- Solanki DR, Koyyalagunta D, Shah RV, Silverman SM, Manchikanti L. Monitoring opioid adherence in chronic pain patients: assessment of risk of substance misuse. Pain Physician 14(March - April 2011):119-31, 2011. PMID: 21412377.
- Colson J, Koyyalagunta D, Falco FJ, Manchikanti L. A Systematic Review of Observational Studies on the Effectiveness of Opioid Therapy for Cancer Pain. Pain Physician 14(2):E85, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21412384.
- Koyyalagunta D, Burton AW. The Role of Chemical Neurolysis in Cancer Pain. Curr Pain Headache Rep 14(4):261-267, 2010. PMID: 20524161.
- Novy D, Hamid B, Driver L, Koyyalagunta L, Ting J, Perez M, Schneider VF, Phan P, Hernandez M, Burton AW. Preliminary evaluation of an educational model for promoting positive team attitudes and functioning among pain medicine fellows. Pain Med 11(6):841-846, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20456076.
- Koyyalagunta D, Mazloomdoost D. Radiofrequency and cryoablation for cancer pain. Techniques in Regional Anesthesia and Pain Management 14:3-9, 2010.
- Novy D, Hamid B, Driver L, Koyyalagunta L, et. al. An Educational Model to Enhance Team Attitudes and Functioning Among Pain Medicine Fellows. American Pain Society Bulletin 18(1):1-4, 2008.
- Burton A, Dang A, Mendoza T, Toro M, Ting J, Nouri K, Gebhardt R, Phan M, Koyyalagunta D. Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty successfully reduce pain in cancer patients with vertebral compression fractures, 2011.
- Mendoza TR, Koyyalagunta L, Burton AW, Thomas SK, Giralt S, Shah JJ, Ting J, Perez-Toro MR, Cleeland CS,. The impact of pain reduction on other symptoms in patients with multiple myeloma-related painful vertebral fracture treated with kyphoplasty or vertebroplasty. J Clin Ocol, 2010.
- Koyyalagunta D. Opioid Analgesics. In: Pain Management. 1st Edition. Elsevier: Philadelphia, 2007.
- Koyyalagunta D. Diabetic Neuropathy. In: Manual of Pain Management. 2nd Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia, 209-214, 2002.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||The safety and efficacy of electro transport (e-trans) fentanyl compared to iv pca morphine for the treatment of post-operative pain|
|Title:||An open-label, long-term safety and tolerability study of Ziconotide administered intrathecally to patients with chronic, severe pain|
|Title:||An open evaluation of the safety and clinical utility of e-trans fentanyl for the management of post-operative pain following short-stay surgical procedures|
|Title:||A phase 3, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group, dose-ranging study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a single epidural dose of sustained-release encapsulated morphine (sky0401) in the management of post-operative pain in patients undergoing lower abdominal surgery|
|Title:||An open-label, long-term, multi-center, intrathecal Ziconotide (Prialt) effectiveness and safety trial (ZEST) in patients with chronic severe pain|
|Title:||Intrathecal Ziconotide (Prialt)Effectiveness and Safety Trial (Zest) in patients with chronic severe pain|