Professor, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, Chad Canfield, Houston, TX
|1995||Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1991||Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA, BA, Economics|
|2001-2002||Clinical Fellowship, Sleep Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA|
|1998-2001||Clinical Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics, Chicago, IL|
|1996-1998||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center West Campus, Boston, MA|
|1995-1996||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center West Campus, Boston, MA|
|2008||Certification, Sleep Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine|
|2003||Diplomate, American Board of Sleep Medicine|
|2003||Diplomate, Critical Care Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine|
|2001||Diplomate, Pulmonary Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine|
Associate Professor, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2017
Assistant Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2002 - 2005
Instructor, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 2001 - 2002
Medical Director, Department of Sleep Center, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - Present
Medical Director, Department of Internal Medicine Center - Mays Clinic, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2012
|2004||Fellow, The American College of Chest Physicians|
|2003||Fellow, American Academy of Sleep Medicine|
- Ost DE, Jimenez CA, Lei X, Cantor SB, Grosu HB, Lazarus DR, Faiz SA, Bashoura L, Shannon VR, Balachandran D, Noor L, Hashmi YB, Casal RF, Morice RC, Eapen GA. Quality-adjusted Survival Following Treatment of Malignant Pleural Effusions with Indwelling Pleural Catheters. Chest 145 (6) :1347-56, 2014. PMID: 24480929.
- Faiz SA, Balachandran D, Hessel A, Lei X, Beadle B, William W, Bashoura L. Sleep Related Breathing Disorders in Patients with Tumors in the Head and Neck Region. The Oncologist (19) :1-7, 2014. PMID: 25273079.
- Perrier ND, Balachandran D, Wefel JS, Jimenez C, Busaidy N, Morris GS, Dong W, Jackson E, Weaver S, Gantela S, Evans DB, Grubbs EG, Lee JE. Prospective, randomized, controlled trial of parathyroidectomy versus observation in patients with "asymptomatic" primary hyperparathyroidism. Surgery 146 (6) :1116-22, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19879613.
- Cannon JL, Collins A, Mody PD, Balachandran D, Henriksen KJ, Smith CE, Tong J, Clay BS, Miller SD, Sperling AI. CD43 Regulates Th2 Differentiation and Inflammation. J Immunol 180 (11) :7385-93, 2008. PMID: 18490738.
- Balachandran D, Faiz, SA, Bashoura L, Manzullo E. Cancer-Related Fatigue and Sleep Disorders. Sleep Medicine Clinics, 2013. e-Pub 2013.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Weiss S, Bassetti C, MacFarlane J, Scammell T, Matheson J, Rosenberg R, Lammers G, Lim A, Overeem S, Murray B, Gert van Dijk J, Singh R, Mahakian C, Doghramji K, Mignot E, Balachandran D, Baumann C, Niroumand M.. Case Book of Sleep Medicine. American Academy of Sleep Medicine: Westchester, IL, 2008.
- Faiz S, Balachandan D, Tallajavhula S. Sleep Disorders in Patients with Hematological Malignancies,. Chest, 2012.
- Holmes H, Manzullo E, Balachandran D, Escalante C, Kallen M. The paradox of symptom burden in older patients with cancer-related fatigue (CRF). Supportive Care in Cancer, 2012.
- Manzullo E, Balachandran D, Holmes H, Bashoura L, Faiz S, Escalante C, Kallen M. Age effects on sleep architecture in patients with cancer-related fatigue (CRF). Supportive Care in Cancer, 2012.
- Balachandran D, Manzullo E, Holmes H, Bashoura L, Faiz S, Escalante C, Kallen M. Sleep Architecture in Patients with Cancer Related Fatigue (CRF). Supportive Care in Cancer, 2012.
- S. Faiz, D. Balachandran, B. Aaron-Remmert, V. Murphy, N. Pachecho, S. Mahoney, L. Keus, P. Patel, L. Bashoura. Sleep Disorders in Prostate Cancer. Chest, 2011.
- Faiz S, Balachandran D., Bashoura L.. Sleep Disorders in Lung Cancer Patients. Sleep, 2010.
- Faiz S, Balachandran D, Aaron-Remmert B, Bashoura L.. Significant Sleep Disordered Breathing in Patients With Head and Neck Cancers and Radiation. Chest, 2009.
- Balachandran D, Bashoura L, Faiz S, Aaron-Remmert B, Kallen M, Valdres R, Lam T, Escalante C, Manzullo E.. Sleep Disorders in Patients With Cancer-Related Fatigue. Chest, 2009.
- Lara Bashoura MD, Diwakar Balachandran MD, Brenda K Aaron-Remmert BS, RPSGT4. Saadia A Faiz MD. Sleep Disorders in Patients with Breast Cancer Based on Polysomnographic Data. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, 2009.
- Shannon VR, Eapen GA, Jimenez CA, Grosu HB, Morice RC, Bashoura L, Evans SE, Adachi R, Kroll M, Faiz SA, Balachandran DD, Pravinkumar SE, Dickey BF.. Respiratory Complications, Sleep in Cancer. In: Cancer Medicine. BC Decker.
|Title:||Computer-based symptom intervention for underserved patients with cancer|
|Funding Source:||American Cancer Society (ACS)|
|Title:||Pilot Study on the Effect of Parathyroidectomy on Sleep|
|Funding Source:||IRG Clinical Grant The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|Title:||The Effect of Parathyroidectomy on Sleep, Cognition, and Function in the Elderly|
|Funding Source:||2005 Dennis Jahnigen Career Development Award|