About Dr. Shinn
Eileen H. Shinn, PhD, is an assistant professor in the Department of Behavioral Science. Her research interests include behavioral interventions, especially focusing on adherence, biobehavioral outcomes in cancer, and dissemination of interventions via mobile technologies. She is also working with genomic researchers in breast cancer to investigate the interaction of adherence to adjuvant endocrine therapy and tumoral sensitivity to endocrine treatment on outcomes.
She currently leads a translational project utilizing an interactive website to disseminate an efficacious intervention promoting adherence to preventive swallowing exercises in head and neck cancer patients during radiation, funded by the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT). She has been PI of several grants, testing the efficacy and feasibility of psychosocial interventions in head and neck cancer and ovarian cancer patients (5R01DE019141; ACS RSGPB-09-156-01-CPPB; R21DE019954; R03CA108358; K07CA093512). She is also multi-PI on an study testing the efficacy of a remote dehydration monitoring system (CYCORE) in the reduction of hospitalization rates for head and neck cancer patients during radiation (Peterson; R01CA177996). Dr. Shinn has also conducted multisite research characterizing biobehavioral factors in long-term versus short-term ovarian cancer survivors and in adherence to daily oral treatment in ER+ breast cancer.
Dr. Shinn’s long-term goal is to link psychosocial research with advanced molecular assay techniques to impact health outcomes such as cardiovascular toxicities, late term toxicities and stress-mediated tumor progression.
Dr. Shinn has served as scientific reviewer for grant review panels for the Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program and as an ad-hoc member for NIH study sections. In 2016, Dr. Shinn received the New Investigator Award from the American Speech and Language Hearing Association. In 2012-13, she was a participant in the NIH Common Fund initiative panel, “Science of Behavior Change.” She holds a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Ohio University.
Assistant Professor, Department of Behavioral Science, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1998||Ohio University, Athens, USA, PHD, Clinical Psychology|
|1996||Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA, Resident, Clinical Psychology|
|1993||Ohio University, Athens, OH, USA, MS, Clinical Psychology|
|1989||Amherst College, Amherst, MA, USA, BS, Psychology|
Contract therapist, Woodland Centers Community Mental Health Center, Meigs County, 1994 - 1995
|2016||The National Foundation of Swallowing Disorders Award, National Foundation of Swallowing Disorders|
|2011||Head and Neck Cancer Alliance New Investigator Award, American Speech Language Hearing Association, Division 13|
|2001||Media Article of the Month, American Journal of Hypertension, July|
|1990||Patricia R. Harris Fellowship, Ohio University Clinical Psychology|
- Shinn EH, Broderick G, Fellman B, Johnson A, Wieland E, Moulder S, Symmans WF. Simulating Time-Dependent Patterns of Nonadherence by Patients With Breast Cancer to Adjuvant Oral Endocrine Therapy. JCO Clin Cancer Inform 3:1-9, 2019. PMID: 31002563.
- Lutgendorf SK, Shinn E, Carter J, Leighton S, Baggerly K, Guindani M, Fellman B, Matzo M, Slavich GM, Goodman MT, Tew W, Lester J, Moore KM, Karlan BY, Levine DA, Sood AK. Quality of life among long-term survivors of advanced stage ovarian cancer: a cross-sectional approach. Gynecol Oncol 146(1):101-108, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28527672.
- Shinn EH, Valentine A, Baum G, Carmack C, Kilgore K, Bodurka D, Basen-Engquist K. Comparison of four brief depression screening instruments in ovarian cancer patients: Diagnostic accuracy using traditional versus alternative cutpoints. Gynecol Oncol 145(3):562-568, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28400146.
- Christensen DK, Armaiz-Pena GN, Ramirez E, Matsuo K, Zimmerman B, Zand B, Shinn E, Goodheart MJ, Bender D, Thaker PH, Ahmed A, Penedo FJ, DeGeest K, Mendez L, Domann F, Sood AK, Lutgendorf SK. SSRI use and clinical outcomes in epithelial ovarian cancer. Oncotarget 7(22):33179-91, 2016. PMID: 27121207.
- Shinn EH, Valentine A, Jethanandani A, Basen-Engquist K, Fellman B, Urbauer D, Atkinson E, Yusuf SW, Lenihan D, Woods ML, Kies MS, Sood AK, Carmack C, Morrison WH, Gillenwater A, Sturgis EM, Garden AS. Depression and Oropharynx Cancer Outcome. Psychosom Med 78(1):38-48, 2016. PMID: 26632757.
- Shinn EH, Basen-Engquist K, Baum G, Steen S, Bauman RF, Morrison W, Garden AS, Sheil C, Kilgore K, Hutcheson KA, Barringer D, Yuan Y, Lewin JS. Adherence to preventive exercises and self-reported swallowing outcomes in post-radiation head and neck cancer patients. Head and Neck 35(12):1707-12, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24142523.
- Peterson SK, Shinn E, Basen-Engquist K, Demark-Wahnefried W, Prokhorov A, Baru C, Krueger I, Farcas E, Rios P, Lin K, Yan Y, Martch S, Patrick K. Identifying Early Dehydration Risk With Home-Based Sensors During Radiation Treatment: A Feasibility Study on Patients With Head and Neck Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr(47):162-168, 2013. PMID: 24395986.
- Shinn EH, Lenihan DJ, Urbauer DL, Basen-Engquist KM, Valentine A, Palmero L, Woods ML, Patel P, Nick AM, Shahzad MM, Stone RL, Golden A, Atkinson E, Lutgendorf SK, Sood AK. Impact of cardiovascular comorbidity on ovarian cancer mortality. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 22(11):2102-9, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24045927.
- Hutcheson KA, Bhayani MK, Beadle BM, Gold KA, Shinn EH, Lai SY, Lewin J. Eat and exercise during radiotherapy or chemoradiotherapy for pharyngeal cancers: use it or lose it. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 139(11):1127-34, 2013. PMID: 24051544.
- Buys TP, Cantor SB, Guillaud M, Adler-Storthz K, Cox DD, Okolo C, Arulogon O, Oladepo O, Basen-Engquist K, Shinn E, Yamal JM, Beck JR, Scheurer ME, Van Niekerk D, Malpica A, Matisic J, Staerkel G, Atkinson EN, Bidaut L, Lane P, Benedet JL, Miller D, Ehlen T, Price R, Adewole IF, Macaulay C, Follen M. Optical Technologies and Molecular Imaging for Cervical Neoplasia: A Program Project Update. Gend Med 9(1 Suppl):S7-24, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21944317.
- Shinn E, Qazi U, Gera S, Brodovsky J, Simpson J, Follen M, Basen-Engquist K, Macaulay C. Physician attitudes toward dissemination of optical spectroscopy devices for cervical cancer control: an industrial-academic collaborative study. Gend Med 9(1 Suppl):S67-77; quiz 77.e1-6, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22340642.
- Cantor SB, Yamal JM, Guillaud M, Cox DD, Atkinson EN, Benedet JL, Miller D, Ehlen T, Matisic J, van Niekerk D, Bertrand M, Milbourne A, Rhodes H, Malpica A, Staerkel G, Nader-Eftekhari S, Adler-Storthz K, Scheurer ME, Basen-Engquist K, Shinn E, West LA, Vlastos AT, Tao X, Beck JR, Macaulay C, Follen M. Accuracy of optical spectroscopy for the detection of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: Testing a device as an adjunct to colposcopy. Int J Cancer 128(5):1151-68, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20830707.
- Shinn EH, Swartz RJ, Thornton BB, Spiess PE, Pisters LL, Basen-Engquist KM. Testis cancer survivors’ health behaviors: comparison with age-matched relative and demographically-matched population controls. J Clin Oncol 28(13):2274-2279, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20368572.
- Shinn EH, Taylor CL, Kilgore K, Valentine A, Bodurka DC, Kavanagh J, Sood A, Li Y, Basen-Engquist K. Associations with Worry about Dying and Hopelessness in Ambulatory Ovarian Cancer Patients. Palliat Support Care 7(3):299-306, 2009. PMID: 19788771.
- Lamkin DM, Spitz DR, Shahzad MM, Zimmerman B, Lenihan DJ, Degeest K, Lubaroff DM, Shinn EH, Sood AK, Lutgendorf SK. Glucose as a prognostic factor in ovarian carcinoma. Cancer 115(5):1021-27, 2009. PMID: 19156916.
- Basen-Engquist K, Hughes D, Perkins H, Shinn E, Taylor CC. Dimensions of physical activity and their relationship to physical and emotional symptoms. J Cancer Surviv 2(4):253-61, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18923906.
- Shinn EH, Basen-Engquist K, Thornton B, Spiess PE, Pisters L. Health behaviors and depressive symptoms in testicular cancer survivors. Urology 69(4):748-53, 2007. PMID: 17445663.
- Basen-Engquist K, Fouladi RT, Cantor SB, Shinn E, Sui D, Sharman M, Follen M. Patient assessment of tests to detect cervical cancer. Int J Technol Assess Health Care 23(2):240-247, 2007. PMID: 17493310.
- Basen-Engquist K, Taylor CL, Rosenblum C, Smith MA, Shinn EH, Greisinger A, Gregg X, Massey P, Valero V, Rivera E. Randomized pilot test of a lifestyle physical activity intervention for breast cancer survivors. Patient Educ Couns 64(1-3):225-34, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16843633.
- Shinn E, Basen-Engquist K, Le T, Hansis-Diarte A, Bostic D, Martinez-Cross J, Santos A, Follen M. Distress after an abnormal Pap smear result: scale development and psychometric validation. Prev Med 39(2):404-12, 2004. PMID: 15226053.
- Carmack Taylor CL, Basen-Engquist K, Shinn EH, Bodurka DC. Predictors of sexual functioning in ovarian cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 22(5):881-9, 2004. PMID: 14990644.
- Basen-Engquist K, Shinn EH, Warneke C, de Moor C, Le T, Richards-Kortum R, Follen M. Patient distress and satisfaction with optical spectroscopy in cervical dysplasia detection. Am J Obstet Gynecol 189(4):1136-42, 2003. PMID: 14586367.
- Shinn EH, Poston WS, Kimball KT, St Jeor ST, Foreyt JP. Blood pressure and symptoms of depression and anxiety: a prospective study. Am J Hypertens 14(7 Pt 1):660-4, 2001. PMID: 11482304.
- Peters R, Kelder S, Ross M, McAlister A, Meshack A, Lewis S, Baumler E, Shinn E. Project Alpha: a culturally appropriate approach to adolescent male sex education. Venereology 13:57-62, 2000.
- Epstein S, Lipson A, Holstein C, Huh E. Irrational reactions to negative outcomes: evidence for two conceptual systems. J Pers Soc Psychol 62(2):328-39, 1992. PMID: 1556663.
- Shinn EH, Jensen K, McLaughlin J, Garden AS, Fellman BM, Liang Li, Peterson SK. Interactive website for head and neck cancer patients: Adherence and coping program to prevent dysphagia after radiation. Internet Interventions.
- Bowen DJ, Shinn E, Gregrowski S, Kimmick G, Dominici L, Frank E, Smith KL, Rocque G, Ruddy KJ, Pollastro T, Melisko M, Ballinger TJ, Fayanju OM, Wolff AC. Patient-Reported Outcomes in the Translational Breast Cancer Research Consortium. Cancer.
- Ramírez J, Rodriquez D, Qiao F, Warchall J, Rye J, Aklile E, S-C Chiang A, Marin BC, Mercier PP, Cheng CK, Hutcheson KA, Shinn EH, Lipomi DJ. Metallic Nanoislands on Graphene for Monitoring Swallowing Activity in Head and Neck Cancer Patients. ACS Nano. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29874030.
- Bradford A, Shinn E. Incorporating Patient Perspectives and Priorities into Clinical Trial Design. Gynecol Oncol 140(2):191-2, 2016. PMID: 26802549.
- Shinn E, Basen-Engquist K, Crain B, Follen M. A theory-aided dissemination strategy for emerging technologies in cervical cancer screening. Gynecol Oncol 107(1 Supp 1):S 35-9, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17870151.
- Shinn EH, Le T, Gallegos J, Basen-Engquist K.. A pilot analysis of multispectral digital colposcopy for women with HGSIL pap smear results. Gynecologic Oncology 107(1 Supp 1):S83-5, 2007.
- Shinn E. Commentary on Yan LL, Liu K, Mathews KA, et al, Cohort study finds that impatience and hostility in young adults are linked with long term risk of hypertension. JAMA 2003. 290: 2138-2148. Evidence-based Cardiovascular Medicine 8(1):36-37, 2004. PMID: 16379888.
- Shinn E, Basen-Engquist K. Guest editor commentary on Alderman AK, Wilkins EG, Lowery JC, et al. Determinants of patient satisfaction in postmastectomy breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 106:769-776, Sep 2000. Breast Diseases, a Yearbook Quarterly 12:236-237, 2001.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Shinn E. Project PREPARE Intervention Manual: Patients Radiation Experiences: Preparation, Adherence, Rehabilitation, Exercises: Houston, TX, 2008.
- Shinn E Adherence to Swallowing Exercises in the Prevention of Radiation-Related Dysphagia. News from SPOHNC, 2015.
- Shinn E, Poston C Why we are overweight: Genes vs. Lifestyle. Healthology.Com [On-line], 1998.
- Bradford A, Shinn E. Incorporating Patient Perspectives and Priorities into Clinical Trial Design [Comment on “Endpoints in clinical trials: what do patients consider important? A survey of the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance”]. Gynecologic Oncology.
- Shinn E, Lenihan D, Urbauer D, Woods M, Nick M, Basen-Engquist K, Sood A. Impact of cardiovascular comorbidity on ovarian cancer outcome. Psychosomatic Medicine 22(11):2102-2109, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24045927.
- Shinn E, Coyne J, Sheil C, Lewin J, Garden A, Alvarez C, Basen-Engquist K. PREPARE: Initial results from a randomized intervention trial. Society of Behavioral Medicine, 2012.
- Shinn E, Baum G, Hutcheson K, Barringer D, Alvarez C, Lewin J. Swallowing exercise regimen: Impact of adherence on outcomes in head and neck cancer. Dysphagia Research Society 26(4):443, 2011.
- Shinn E, Lewin J, Yuan Y, Carmack Taylor C, Morrison W, Garden A, Rosenthal D, Basen-Engquist K. Large Preventive Impact of Swallowing Exercises to Long-Term Function in Head and Neck Cancer. 4th Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference, 2008.
- Kilgore K, Hayler L, Ellickalputhenpura B, Shinn EH. Factors Associated with Worry about Death and Loss of Hope in Late-Stage Cancer Patients. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 31:S142, 2006.
- Hayler L, Ellickalpulthenpura B, Kilgore K, Basen-Engquist K, Carmack Taylor C, Shinn EH. Factors Associated with Sexual Interest and Satisfaction in Ovarian Cancer Patients on Chemotherapy. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 31:S142, 2006.
- Shinn E, Carmack Taylor C, Chambers M, Lewin J, Morrison W, Schaffner J, Campbell J, Parkhurst J, Basen-Engquist K. Low adherence to preventive swallowing and dental regimens in head and neck cancer survivors in a multidisciplinary cancer center. Cancer Survivorship: Embracing the Future, National Institutes of Health Competitive poster presentation, 2006.
- Shinn E, Thornton B, Basen-Engquist K. Depressive symptoms and health behaviors in testicular cancer survivors. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 27:S013, 2004.
- Basen-Engquist K, Carmack Taylor C, Shinn E, Lee J. Type and dimensions of breast cancer survivors' physical activity: relationship to quality of life. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 27:S180, 2004.
- Shinn E, Basen-Engquist K, Carmack Taylor C, Boling W, Rodriguez A, McKirahan N, Rosenblum C, Olvera N, Valero V, Nazario N, Rivera E. Depression and health behaviors in breast cancer survivors. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 24:S061, 2003.
- Boling W, Carmack Taylor C , Shinn E, Dijk F, Zijlstra R, Bevers TB, Basen-Engquist K. Breast Cancer Survivors and Physical Activity: Accuracy of Self-Report with Surgeon General's Recommendations. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 24:S163, 2002.
- Shinn E, Thornton B, Basen-Engquist K, , de Moor C, Gritz E. Depressive symptoms and health behaviors in testicular cancer survivors. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 23:S081, 2001.
- Thornton B, Shinn E, Basen-Engquist K, de Moor C, Gritz E. Psychological distress and long-term toxicity in testicular cancer survivors. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 23(suppl):S178, 2001.
- Basen-Engquist K, de Moor C, Thornton B, Shinn E, Gritz E. Quality of life and psychological distress in survivors of testis cancer. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 23:S188, 2001.
- Bellush LL , Huh E. Diabetes-induced alterations in 5-HT receptor subtype activation, 1993.
- Carmack CL, Parker P, Shinn E. The clinical assessment of distress. In: M. D. Anderson Manual of Psychosocial Oncology. McGraw HIll, 2010.
|Title:||Sensor-assisted prevention of dehydration in head and neck cancer patients|
|Title:||Active for Life After Breast Cancer: Combining a Physical Activity Program with Survivor Navigation|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||CYCORE: Cyberinfrastructure for Cancer Comparative Effectiveness Research|
|Funding Source:||University of California San Diego|
|Title:||Adherence to Swallowing Rehabilitation Exercises in Head and Neck Cancers|
|Title:||Media-Rich mobile dissemination of a dysphagia prevention program for head and neck cancer patients during radiation|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||Active Living After Cancer: Combining a Physical Activity Program with Survivor Navigation|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|