About Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta obtained her medical degree at the Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University in Chicago, IL in May of 2011. She completed her internship in Internal Medicine at Allegheny General Hospital – Western Pennsylvania Medical Consortium in Pittsburgh, PA from 2011-2012. She then proceeded to Houston where she completed her Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation training at the Baylor College of Medicine/ University of Texas at Houston PM&R Alliance from 2012-2015.
On completion of her residency training, Dr. Gupta accepted an appointment to the Department of Palliative Care, Rehabilitation and Integrative Medicine at the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. Current research interests include prehabilitation for cancer patients prior to surgery, spasticity management, patient outcome measures, and functional improvement in cancer patients.
Present Title & Affiliation
Assistant Professor, Department of Palliative Care and Rehabilitation Medicine, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Texas-Houston, McGovern Medical School, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|2011||Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2007||Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA, BA, Economics|
|2012-2015||Clinical Residency, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Baylor College of Medicine/UT at Houston Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Alliance, Houston, TX|
|2011-2012||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, Allegheny General Hospital-Western Pennsylvania Med Consortium, Pittsburgh, PA|
|2018||American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation - Brain Injury Medicine|
|2016||American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation - Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation|
Experience & Service
Instructor, Department of Palliative Care and Rehabilitation Medicine, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2016
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Medical Records Committee, 2022 - Present
- Gupta E, Ng AH, de Moraes AR, Fu JB, Tennison JM, Ahmed M, Fellman BM, Bruera E. Changes in Patterns of Referral for Inpatient Rehabilitation Cancer Patients due to COVID-19: A Retrospective Study. Am J Phys Med Rehabil:10.1097/PHM.0000000000002331. e-Pub 2023. PMID: 37602564.
- Fu JB, Gupta E, Morishita S, Andersen CR, Ngo-Huang AT, Engle JP, Guo Y. Frequency and Reasons for Unplanned Transfer to the Primary Acute Care Service of Inpatient Rehabilitation Glioblastoma Multiforme Patients. Support Care Cancer 31(2):122, 2023. e-Pub 2023. PMID: 36653554.
- Ng AH, Gupta E, Fontillas RC, Bansal S, Williams JL, Park M, Liu D, Fu JB, Yadav RR, Bruera E. Patient Reported Usefulness of Acute Cancer Rehabilitation. PM R 9(11):1135-1143, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28461228.
- Zhang X, Rangwala S, Gupta E, Villar-Prados A, Trynowsky T, Duvic M, Zhang C. Class I HDAC inhibitor SNDX-275 selectively induces apoptosis and inhibits NF-kB signaling in cutaneous T-cell lymphoma cells. Epigenetics.
- Fu JB, Gupta E, Guo Y. The Use of Botulinum Toxin Injection for Post-Radiation Breast Cancer Survivors with Shoulder Pain. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 103(12):e115-e116, 2022.
- Gupta E, Ng A, Rozman de Moraes A, Fu J, Tennison J, Ahmed M, Fellman B, Bruera E. Changes in Patterns of Referral for Inpatient Rehabilitation Cancer Patients Due to Covid-19. Support Care Cancer 30(1 Suppl):1-2007, 2022.
- Fu, J; Gupta E. Return to the Primary Acute Care Service of Glioblastoma Multiforme Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation Patients. Arch Phys Med Rehab 102(10):e48, 2021.
- Gupta E, Ng A, Fu J, Ngo-Huang A, Yadav R, Bansal S, Park M, Shin K, Guo Y, Bruera E. Physiatrist and Oncology Patient Expectations Regarding Function After Inpatient Rehabilitation. Supportive Care in Cancer 26(2 Suppl):39-364, 2018.
- Gupta E, Fu JB. Functional Gains after Diagnosis of Central Pontine Myelinolysis due to Hypophosphatemia in a Leukemia Patient on an Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit: A Case Report, 2016 American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Annual Assembly, New Orleans, LA. PM&R 8(9 Suppl):252, 2016. PMID: 27673041.
- Shin KY, Nelson B, Gupta E. Inpatient Falls at a Tertiary National Cancer Center, Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer. Support Care Cancer 24(1 Suppl):S233, 2016. PMID: 27137212.
- Gupta E, Fu JB. Paraneoplastic Syndrome as a Cause of Polyradiculopathy in a Patient with Metastatic Rectal Adenocarcinoma, 2015 Association of Academic Physiatrists Annual Meeting. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 94(3 Suppl 1), 2015. PMID: 25679295.
- Gupta E, Bloodworth D, Harrell J. Intramuscular Hematoma as a Cause of Loss of Range of Motion after Trauma: A Case Report, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Annual Meeting. PM&R 6(9 Suppl):276, 2014.
- Dhah S, Frando M, Gupta E, Swearingen A, Thakur S. Implementing a Secure Online Physician Sign-out Tool: Can Technology Influence Behavior and Improve Accuracy? American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Annual Meeting. PM&R 6(9):S388, 2014.
- Gupta E, Zeider R, Frando M, Mega B, Dhah S. Improving Resident Sign-out with a Secure Online System, Association of Academic Physiatrists Annual Meeting. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 93(3 Suppl):a16, 2014. PMID: 24556996.
- Zhang C, Zhang X, Trynosky T, Molavi S, Gupta E, Villa-Prados A, Duvic M. LBH-589 inhibits NF-κB signaling pathway and synergizes with bexarotene to induce apoptosis in CTCL cell lines and patients' Sézary cells. J Invest Dermatol 129 Suppl 1(S42):252, 2009.
- Fricke B, Ngo-Huang A, Gupta E. Rehabilitation Textbook. In: MD Anderson Manual of Medical Oncology. 4th edition. McGraw-Hill: New York, NY, 2022.