About Dr. Mouhayar
Dr. Elie Mouhayar completed his medical degree at the Lebanese University in Beirut, Lebanon. His postgraduate training included a clinical fellowship in cardiology at Geisinger Medical Center and a mini-fellowship in cardiovascular computed tomography at Johns Hopkins Medical Center. He is board certified in internal medicine, cardiology and vascular medicine. He joined M. D. Anderson in 2008 as a faculty member in the Department of Cardiology.
Dr. Mouhayar is the Medical Director of the Cardiopulmonary Center and the Medical Director of the Non-Invasive Vascular Laboratory. He is involved in many quality improvement projects that focus on patient satisfaction, care delivery and service growth throughout the center.
His clinical and research activities at MDACC cover the broad aspect of non-invasive and invasive testing modalities in the cardiovascular field with special interest in in cardiovascular imaging, including vascular ultrasonography and nuclear cardiology. He serves as a collaborator on several ongoing clinical trials. Dr. Mouhayar has a special interest in pericardial and peripheral arterial diseases and in the early detection and management of cardio-toxicity as a result of conventional or targeted chemotherapy.
Professor, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Medical Director of The Cardiopulmonary Center, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Medical Director of the Non-Invasive Vascular Laboratory, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct, Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Peripheral arterial disease
|1996||Lebanese University-Faculty of Medical Sciences, Beirut, LBN, MD, Medicine|
|2007-2007||Mini-Fellowship, Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, Johns Hopkins Medical Center, Baltimore, MD|
|2000-2003||Clinical Fellowship, Cardiology, Geisinger Clinics, Danville, PA|
|1997-2000||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, Staten Island University Hospital, Staten Island, NY|
|1997-2000||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Staten Island University Hospital, Staten Island, NY|
|2010||American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography-PVI/ARDMS|
|2006||Vascular Medicine Certification|
|2000||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Associate Professor, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2019
Assistant Professor, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2012
Associate Medical Director, Department of Cardiopulmonary Center, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2017 - 2020
Medical Director, Department of Cardiopulmonary Center, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2017
Associate Medical Director, Department of Cardiopulmonary Center, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2014
Medical Director, Department of Cardiopulmonary Center, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2011
Elected Member of the Board of Directors, Parkway Cardiology Associates, Oak Ridge, TN, 2007 - 2008
Chief of Medical Staff, Roane Medical Center, Harriman, TN, 2007 - 2008
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Cardiology Chair Advisory Committee, 2019 - 2019
Member, Clinical Effectiveness Subcommittee, 2015 - Present
Member, Cardiopulmonary Center Operations Committee, 2009 - Present
Member, Cardiopulmonary Center Steering Committee, 2009 - Present
Member, Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, 2008 - Present
|2019||Awesome Job Award, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2019||Division of Internal Medicine Faculty Excellence Award For Excellence in Quality Care, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2019||President’s Recognition of Faculty Excellence in Clinical Quality Improvement, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2017||Faculty Excellence Award Nominee for Excellence in Patient Care, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Cardiologist Faculty of the Year, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Medical School|
|2012||James S. and Suzanne Cyrus Scholar Awards Finalist in Clinical Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2000||Distinguished Achievement in Medical Research and Scholarly Activity, Staten Island University Hospital|
|1999||Distinguished Achievement in Medical Research and Scholarly Activity, Staten Island University Hospital|
|1999||ACP-ASIM New York Chapter-Honorable Mention in Clinical Research|
- Quintana RA, Bui LP, Moudgil R, Palaskas N, Hassan S, Abe JI, Mouhayar E, Yusuf SW, Hernandez A, Banchs J. Speckle-Tracking Echocardiography in Cardio-Oncology and Beyond. Tex Heart Inst J 47(2):96-107, 2020. PMID: 32603473.
- Kitkungvan D, Kalluru D, Lunagariya A, Sanchez L, Yusuf SW, Hassan S, Palaskas N, Mouhayar E, Banchs J. Safety of Transesophageal Echocardiography in Patients with Thrombocytopenia. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 32(8):1010-1015, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31239084.
- Tsai E, Mouhayar E, Lenihan D, Song J, Durand JB, Fadol A, Massey M, Harrison C, Basen-Engquist K. Feasibility and Outcomes of an Exercise Intervention for Chemotherapy-Induced Heart Failure. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev 39(3):199-203, 2019. PMID: 31022003.
- Palaskas N, Morgan J, Daigle T, Banchs J, Durand JB, Hong D, Naing A, Le H, Hassan SA, Karimzad K, Mouhayar E, Kim P, Lopez-Mattei J, Thompson K, Yusuf SW, Iliescu C. Targeted Cancer Therapies with Pericardial Effusions Requiring Pericardiocentesis Focus-ing on Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors. Am J Cardiol doi:https://doi.org/10.1016(8):1351-1357, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30765065.
- Donisan T, Balanescu DV, Mouhayar E, Tayar J, Iliescu C. Coronary Lesions in Takayasu Arteritis with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia - Intravascular Assessment with Optical Coherence Tomography and Fractional Flow Reserve. Circ J 83(1):245-246. doi: 10.1253/circj.CJ-18-0445(1):245-246, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29952342.
- Iliescu C, Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Giza DE, Muñoz Gonzalez ED, Cilingiroglu M, Song J, Mukerji SS, Lopez-Mattei JC, Kim PY, Palaskas N, Mouhayar EN, Durand JB, Marmagkiolis K. Safety of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Cardiac Catheterization in Cancer Patients With Acute Coronary Syndrome and Chronic Thrombocytopenia. Am J Cardiol 122(9):1465-1470, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30180958.
- Zarifa A, Salih M, Lopez-Matei J, Lee HJ, Iliescu C, Hassan S, Palaskas N, Durand JB, Mouhayar E, Kim J, Kim P. Cardiotoxicity of FDA-approved immune checkpoint inhibitors: A rare but serious adverse event. Journal of Immunotherapy and Precision Oncology, 2018.
- Liu J, Mouhayar E, Tarrand JJ, Kontoyiannis DP. Fulminant Cryptococcus neoformans infection with fatal pericardial tamponade in a patient with chronic myelomonocytic leukemia who was treated with ruxolitinib: Case report and review of fungal pericarditis. Mycoses 61(4):245-255, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29280197.
- Karam-Hage M, Kypriotakis G, Robinson JD, Green CE, Mann G, Rabius V, Wippold R, Blalock JA, Mouhayar E, Tayar J, Chaftari P, Cinciripini PM. Improvement of Smoking Abstinence Rates With Increased Varenicline Dosage: A Propensity Score-Matched Analysis. J Clin Psychopharmacol 38(1):34-41, 2018. PMID: 29232312.
- Hassan SA, Palaskas N, Kim P, Iliescu C, Lopez-Mattei J, Mouhayar E, Mougdil R, Thompson K, Banchs J, Yusuf SW. Chemotherapeutic Agents and the Risk of Ischemia and Arterial Thrombosis. Curr Atheroscler Rep 20(2):10, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29423705.
- Liu VY, Agha AM, Lopez-Mattei J, Palaskas N, Kim P, Thompson K, Mouhayar E, Marmagkiolis K, Hassan SA, Karimzad K, Iliescu CA. Interventional Cardio-oncology: Adding a New Dimension to the Cardio-oncology Field. Front Cardiovasc Med 5:48, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29868614.
- Nassif T, Banchs J, Yusuf SW, Mouhayar E. Acute haemorrhagic tamponade in cancer patients receiving direct oral anticoagulant: case series. Eur Heart J Case Rep 1(2):1-4, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 31020076.
- Reddy N, Moudgil R, Lopez-Mattei JC, Karimzad K, Mouhayar EN, Somaiah N, Conley AP, Patel S, Giza DE, Iliescu C. Progressive and Reversible Conduction Disease with Checkpoint Inhibitors. Can J Cardiol 33(10):1335.e13-1335.e15, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28822650.
- Ning MS, Tang L, Gomez DR, Xu T, Luo Y, Huo J, Mouhayar E, Liao Z. Incidence and predictors of pericardial effusion after chemoradiation therapy for locally advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(1):70-79, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28816165.
- Chaftari AM, Hachem R, Szvalb A, Taremi M, Granwehr B, Viola GM, Amin S, Assaf A, Numan Y, Shah P, Gasitashvili K, Natividad E, Jiang Y, Slack R, Reitzel R, Rosenblatt J, Mouhayar E, Raad I. Correction for Chaftari et al., "A Novel Nonantibiotic Nitroglycerin-Based Catheter Lock Solution for Prevention of Intraluminal Central Venous Catheter Infections in Cancer Patients". Antimicrob Agents Chemother 61(8), 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28743701.
- Chaftari AM, Hachem R, Szvalb A, Taremi M, Granwehr B, Viola GM, Amin S, Assaf A, Numan Y, Shah P, Gasitashvili K, Natividad E, Jiang Y, Slack R, Reitzel R, Rosenblatt J, Mouhayar E, Raad I. A Novel Nonantibiotic Nitroglycerin-Based Catheter Lock Solution for Prevention of Intraluminal Central Venous Catheter Infections in Cancer Patients. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 61(7), 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28416559.
- Giza DE, Marmagkiolis K, Mouhayar E, Durand JB, Iliescu C. Management of CAD in Patients with Active Cancer: teh Interventional Cardiologists' Perspective. Curr Cardiol Rep 19(6):56, 2017. PMID: 28484995.
- Fadol AP, Mouhayar E, Reyes-Gibby CC. The Use of Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy in Cancer Patients with Heart Failure. J Clin Exp Res Cardiol 3(1), 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29962508.
- Lee HJ, Chihara D, Wang M, Mouhayar E, Kim P. Ibrutinib-related atrial fibrillation in patients with mantle cell lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 57(12):1-3, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27087288.
- Yusuf SW, Hassan SA, Mouhayar E, Negi SI, Banchs J, O'Gara PT. Pericardial disease: a clinical review. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 14(4):1-15, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26691443.
- El Haddad D, Iliescu C, Yusuf SW, William WN, Khair TH, Song J, Mouhayar EN. Outcomes of Cancer Patients Undergoing Percutaneous Pericardiocentesis for Pericardial Effusion. J Am Coll Cardiol 66(10):1119-28, 2015. PMID: 26337990.
- Abi Aad S, Pierce M, Barmaimon G, Farhat FS, Benjo A, Mouhayar E. Hypertension induced by chemotherapeutic and immunosuppresive agents: A new challenge. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 93(1):28-35, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25217090.
- Mouhayar E, Tayar J, Fasulo M, Aoun R, Massey M, Abi-Aad S, Iliescu C, Ahrar K, Huynh T. Outcome of acute limb ischemia in cancer patients. Vasc Med 19(2):112-117, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24532704.
- Mouhayar E, Durand JB, Cortes J. Cardiovascular toxicity of tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Expert Opin Drug Saf 12(5):687-96, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23560546.
- Mouhayar E, Salahudeen A. Hypertension in Cancer Patients. Tex Heart Inst J 38(3):263–265, 2011. PMID: 21720467.
- Awan F, Mouhayar E. BTK Inhibitors and Cardiac Considerations in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. CME / ABIM MOC / CE activity sponsored by Medscape, 2017.
- Yeh E, Khakoo A, Mouhayar E. Optimizing Outcomes in Cancer Treatment by Managing the Cardiotoxicity of Targeted Therapy. Online CME activity sponsored by Indiana University School of Medicine, 2009.
- Mouhayar E. Onco-Cardiology: A Specialty that Goes Beyond Managing Cardiovascular Toxicity. Cancer Res Prev Treat 45(11):821-830, 2018.
- Mouhayar E. The discipline of onco-cardiology. Future Oncol 2015;11(14):2027-9. doi:10.2217/fon.15.71(14):2027-9, 2015. PMID: 26198831.
- Nicola Maurea, Antonietta Caronna, Elie Mouhayar. In: Venous Thromboembolism. In: Cardiovascular Complications in Cancer Therapy. Springer, 2019.
- David Rice, Elie Mouhayar. In: Malignant pericardial effusion. In: Shield’s general thoracic surgery, 2019.
- Mouhayar E. Pericardial Effusion. In: MD Anderson Practices in Onco-Cardiology: Houston, 25-26, 2016.
- Chaftari P, Mouhayar E, Iliescu C, Hassan SA, Kim P. Cardiac Emergencies in Cancer Patients. In: Oncologic Emergencies. Springer: New York, 55-92, 2016.
- Mouhayar E, Kim P, Thompson K. Onco-Cardiology. In: MD Anderson Manual of Medical Oncology. McGraw Hill, 2016.
- Mouhayar E. Peripheral arterial diseases in cancer patients. In: Cardio-Oncology, 2015.