About Dr. Mouhayar
Dr. Elie Mouhayar completed his medical degree at the Lebanese University in Beirut, Lebanon. His postgraduate training included a clinical fellowship in cardiology at Geisinger Medical Center and a mini-fellowship in cardiovascular computed tomography at Johns Hopkins Medical Center. He is board certified in internal medicine, cardiology and vascular medicine. He joined M. D. Anderson in 2008 as a faculty member in the Department of Cardiology.
Dr. Mouhayar is the Associate Medical Director of the Cardiopulmonary Center and the Medical Director of the Non-Invasive Vascular Laboratory. He is involved in many quality improvement projects that focus on patient satisfaction, care delivery and service growth throughout the center.
His clinical and research activities at MDACC cover the broad aspect of non-invasive and invasive testing modalities in the cardiovascular field with special interest in in cardiovascular imaging, including vascular ultrasonography and nuclear cardiology. He serves as a collaborator on several ongoing clinical trials. Dr. Mouhayar has a special interest in pericardial and peripheral arterial diseases and in the early detection and management of cardio-toxicity as a result of conventional or targeted chemotherapy.
Medical Director, Department of Cardiopulmonary Center, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Medical Director of the Non-Invasive Vascular Laboratory, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Peripheral arterial disease
|1996||Lebanese University-Faculty of Medical Sciences, Beirut, LBN, MD, Medicine|
|2007-2007||Mini-Fellowship, Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, Johns Hopkins Medical Center, Baltimore, MD|
|2000-2003||Clinical Fellowship, Cardiology, Geisinger Clinics, Danville, PA|
|1997-2000||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, Staten Island University Hospital, Staten Island, NY|
|1997-2000||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Staten Island University Hospital, Staten Island, NY|
|2006||Vascular Medicine Certification|
|2000||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Assistant Professor, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2012
- Abi Aad S, Pierce M, Barmaimon G, Farhat FS, Benjo A, Mouhayar E. Hypertension induced by chemotherapeutic and immunosuppresive agents: A new challenge. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 93(1):28-35, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25217090.
- Mouhayar E, Durand JB, Cortes J. Cardiovascular toxicity of tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Expert Opin Drug Saf 12(5):687-96, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23560546.
- Yusuf SW, Bathina JD, Banchs J, Mouhayar EN, Daher IN. Apical Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. World J Cardiol 3(7):256-259, 2011. PMID: 21860706.
- Sanon S, Lenihan DJ, Mouhayar E. Peripheral Arterial Ischemic Events in Cancer Patients. Vasc Med 16(2):119-30, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21112902.
- Daher IN, Banchs J, Yusuf SW, Mouhayar E, Durand JB, Gladish G. Impact of Cardiac Computed Tomographic Angiography Findings on Planning of Cancer Therapy in Patients with Concomitant Structural Heart Disease. Cardiol Res Pract 2011:268058, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21559257.
- Mouhayar E, Salahudeen A. Hypertension in Cancer Patients. Tex Heart Inst J 38(3):263–265, 2011. PMID: 21720467.
- Sarin S, Mouhayar EN, Blankenship JC, Costello J, Woomert CA, Nassef LA, Qureshi A. Conservative Management of Left Ventricular Pseudoaneurysm Guided by Cardiac Magnetic Resonance. Clin Cardiol 32(7):E33-4, 2009. PMID: 17803248.
- Tadros GM, Mouhayar EN, Akinwande AO, Campbell B, Wood C, Blankenship JA. Prevention of Radiocontrast-Induced Nephropathy with N-Acetylcysteine in Patients Undergoing Coronary Angiography. J Invasive Cardiol 15(6):311-4, 2003. PMID: 12777667.
- Mouhayar EN, Blankenship JC, Fenster BD, Iliadis EA, McConnell TR. Coronary Artery "Pseudothrombus" Due to Collateral Flow Artifact Distal to Left Circumflex Coronary Stenosis. J Interv Cardiol 15(5):425-9; discussion 429-30, 2002. PMID: 12440191.
- Mouhayar E, Tayar J, Fasulo M, Aoun R, Massey M, Abi-Aad S, Iliescu C, Ahrar K, Huynh T. Outcome of acute limb ischemia in cancer patients. Vasc Med 19(2):112-117. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24532704.
- Mukerji S, Yusuf SW, Banchs J, Mouhayar E, Tomakin G, Iliescu G, Durand JB, Iliescu C. Impact of Chronic Thrombocytopenia in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease and Cancer. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions 79(6):S51, 2012.
- Mouhayar EN, Abi Aad SB, Massey M, Iliescu C, Yusuf S, Daher IN,. Acute Peripheral Arterial Ischemic Events in Cancer Patients. ACC 60th Annual Scientific Session & Expo, 2011.
- Iliescu C, Reyes M, Abi Aad SB, Banchs J, Mouhayar EN, Leja M, Daher IN, Yusuf SW, Durand JB,. Clinical Features and Outcomes of Stress-Induced Cardiomyopathy in Cancer. ACC 60th Annual Scientific Session & Expo, 2011.
- Khakoo A, Massey M, Chua C, Chiu A, Mouhayar, E, Durand JB, Lenihan DJ. Hypertension, Potentially Leading to Heart Failure, Associated with Anti-Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Therapy Can Be Predicted by Baseline Levels of Circulating Serum Biomarkers. Journal of Cardiac Failure 15(6):S65, 2009.
- Daher IN, Mouhayar E, Banchs J, Yusuf SW, Durand JB, Gladish G. Impact of Cardiac Computed Tomographic Angiography Findings on Planning of Cancer Therapy Planning in Patients with Concomitant Structural Heart Disease. 4th Annual Meeting of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, 2009.