About Dr. Mouhayar
Dr. Elie Mouhayar completed his medical degree at the Lebanese University in Beirut, Lebanon. His postgraduate training included a clinical fellowship in cardiology at Geisinger Medical Center and a mini-fellowship in cardiovascular computed tomography at Johns Hopkins Medical Center. He is board certified in internal medicine, cardiology and vascular medicine. He joined M. D. Anderson in 2008 as a faculty member in the Department of Cardiology.
Dr. Mouhayar is the Associate Medical Director of the Cardiopulmonary Center and the Medical Director of the Non-Invasive Vascular Laboratory. He is involved in many quality improvement projects that focus on patient satisfaction, care delivery and service growth throughout the center.
His clinical and research activities at MDACC cover the broad aspect of non-invasive and invasive testing modalities in the cardiovascular field with special interest in in cardiovascular imaging, including vascular ultrasonography and nuclear cardiology. He serves as a collaborator on several ongoing clinical trials. Dr. Mouhayar has a special interest in pericardial and peripheral arterial diseases and in the early detection and management of cardio-toxicity as a result of conventional or targeted chemotherapy.
Associate Medical Director, Department of Cardiopulmonary Center, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Medical Director of the Non-Invasive Vascular Laboratory, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Peripheral arterial disease
|1996||Lebanese University-Faculty of Medical Sciences, Beirut, LBN, MD, Medicine|
|2007-2007||Mini-Fellowship, Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, Johns Hopkins Medical Center, Baltimore, MD|
|2000-2003||Clinical Fellowship, Cardiology, Geisinger Clinics, Danville, PA|
|1997-2000||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, Staten Island University Hospital, Staten Island, NY|
|1997-2000||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Staten Island University Hospital, Staten Island, NY|
|2010||American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography-PVI/ARDMS|
|2006||Vascular Medicine Certification|
|2000||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Assistant Professor, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2012
Medical Director, Department of Cardiopulmonary Center, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2017
Associate Medical Director, Department of Cardiopulmonary Center, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2014
Medical Director, Department of Cardiopulmonary Center, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2011
Elected Member of the Board of Directors, Parkway Cardiology Associates, Oak Ridge, TN, 2007 - 2008
Chief of Medical Staff, Roane Medical Center, Harriman, TN, 2007 - 2008
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, The University of Texas MD Anderson UTHealth Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, PhD Candidacy Exam Committee (Dr. Anchit Bhagat), 2018 - Present
Member, Clinical Effectiveness Subcommittee, 2015 - Present
Member, Cancer Survivorship Research Advisory Workgroup, 2014 - 2015
Member, PRS Executive Committee, 2013 - 2016
Lead Physician, Institutional Practice Algorithm: Pacemaker Group, 2012 - 2015
Member, Cardiopulmonary Center Operations Committee, 2009 - Present
Member, DoIM Clinical Advisory Committee, 2009 - 2011
Member, Cardiopulmonary Center Steering Committee, 2009 - Present
Member, Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, 2008 - Present
|2017||Faculty Excellence Award Nominee for Excellence in Patient Care, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Cardiologist Faculty of the Year, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Medical School|
|2012||James S. and Suzanne Cyrus Scholar Awards Finalist in Clinical Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2000||Distinguished Achievement in Medical Research and Scholarly Activity, Staten Island University Hospital|
|1999||Distinguished Achievement in Medical Research and Scholarly Activity, Staten Island University Hospital|
|1999||ACP-ASIM New York Chapter-Honorable Mention in Clinical Research|
- Iliescu C, Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Giza DE, Muñoz Gonzalez ED, Cilingiroglu M, Song J, Mukerji SS, Lopez-Mattei JC, Kim PY, Palaskas N, Mouhayar EN, Durand JB, Marmagkiolis K. Safety of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Cardiac Catheterization in Cancer Patients With Acute Coronary Syndrome and Chronic Thrombocytopenia. Am J Cardiol 122(9):1465-1470, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30180958.
- Zarifa A, Salih M, Lopez-Matei J, Lee HJ, Iliescu C, Hassan S, Palaskas N, Durand JB, Mouhayar E, Kim J, Kim P. Cardiotoxicity of FDA-approved immune checkpoint inhibitors: A rare but serious adverse event. Journal of Immunotherapy and Precision Oncology, 2018.
- Liu J, Mouhayar E, Tarrand JJ, Kontoyiannis DP. Fulminant Cryptococcus neoformans infection with fatal pericardial tamponade in a patient with chronic myelomonocytic leukemia who was treated with ruxolitinib: Case report and review of fungal pericarditis. Mycoses 61(4):245-255, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29280197.
- Karam-Hage M, Kypriotakis G, Robinson JD, Green CE, Mann G, Rabius V, Wippold R, Blalock JA, Mouhayar E, Tayar J, Chaftari P, Cinciripini PM. Improvement of Smoking Abstinence Rates With Increased Varenicline Dosage: A Propensity Score-Matched Analysis. J Clin Psychopharmacol 38(1):34-41, 2018. PMID: 29232312.
- Hassan SA, Palaskas N, Kim P, Iliescu C, Lopez-Mattei J, Mouhayar E, Mougdil R, Thompson K, Banchs J, Yusuf SW. Chemotherapeutic Agents and the Risk of Ischemia and Arterial Thrombosis. Curr Atheroscler Rep 20(2):10, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29423705.
- Liu VY, Agha AM, Lopez-Mattei J, Palaskas N, Kim P, Thompson K, Mouhayar E, Marmagkiolis K, Hassan SA, Karimzad K, Iliescu CA. Interventional Cardio-oncology: Adding a New Dimension to the Cardio-oncology Field. Front Cardiovasc Med 5:48, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29868614.
- Nassif T, Banchs J, Yusuf SW, Mouhayar E. Acute haemorrhagic tamponade in cancer patients receiving direct oral anticoagulant: case series. European Heart Journal 1(2):1-4, 2017.
- Reddy N, Moudgil R, Lopez-Mattei JC, Karimzad K, Mouhayar EN, Somaiah N, Conley AP, Patel S, Giza DE, Iliescu C. Progressive and Reversible Conduction Disease with Checkpoint Inhibitors. Can J Cardiol 33(10):1335.e13-1335.e15, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28822650.
- Ning MS, Tang L, Gomez DR, Xu T, Luo Y, Huo J, Mouhayar E, Liao Z. Incidence and predictors of pericardial effusion after chemoradiation therapy for locally advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(1):70-79, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28816165.
- Chaftari AM, Hachem R, Szvalb A, Taremi M, Granwehr B, Viola GM, Amin S, Assaf A, Numan Y, Shah P, Gasitashvili K, Natividad E, Jiang Y, Slack R, Reitzel R, Rosenblatt J, Mouhayar E, Raad I. Correction for Chaftari et al., "A Novel Nonantibiotic Nitroglycerin-Based Catheter Lock Solution for Prevention of Intraluminal Central Venous Catheter Infections in Cancer Patients". Antimicrob Agents Chemother 61(8), 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28743701.
- Giza DE, Marmagkiolis K, Mouhayar E, Durand JB, Iliescu C. Management of CAD in Patients with Active Cancer: teh Interventional Cardiologists' Perspective. Curr Cardiol Rep 19(6):56, 2017. PMID: 28484995.
- Fadol AP, Mouhayar E, Reyes-Gibby CC. The Use of Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy in Cancer Patients with Heart Failure. J Clin Exp Res Cardiol 3(1), 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29962508.
- Lee HJ, Chihara D, Wang M, Mouhayar E, Kim P. Ibrutinib-related atrial fibrillation in patients with mantle cell lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 57(12):1-3, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27087288.
- Yusuf SW, Hassan SA, Mouhayar E, Negi SI, Banchs J, O'Gara PT. Pericardial disease: a clinical review. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 14(4):1-15, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26691443.
- El Haddad D, Iliescu C, Yusuf SW, William WN, Khair TH, Song J, Mouhayar EN. Outcomes of Cancer Patients Undergoing Percutaneous Pericardiocentesis for Pericardial Effusion. J Am Coll Cardiol 66(10):1119-28, 2015. PMID: 26337990.
- Mouhayar E. The discipline of onco-cardiology. Future Oncol 11(14):2027-9, 2015. PMID: 26198831.
- Abi Aad S, Pierce M, Barmaimon G, Farhat FS, Benjo A, Mouhayar E. Hypertension induced by chemotherapeutic and immunosuppresive agents: A new challenge. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 93(1):28-35, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25217090.
- Mouhayar E, Tayar J, Fasulo M, Aoun R, Massey M, Abi-Aad S, Iliescu C, Ahrar K, Huynh T. Outcome of acute limb ischemia in cancer patients. Vasc Med 19(2):112-117, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24532704.
- Mouhayar E, Durand JB, Cortes J. Cardiovascular toxicity of tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Expert Opin Drug Saf 12(5):687-96, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23560546.
- Yusuf SW, Bathina JD, Banchs J, Mouhayar EN, Daher IN. Apical Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. World J Cardiol 3(7):256-259, 2011. PMID: 21860706.
- Daher IN, Banchs J, Yusuf SW, Mouhayar E, Durand JB, Gladish G. Impact of Cardiac Computed Tomographic Angiography Findings on Planning of Cancer Therapy in Patients with Concomitant Structural Heart Disease. Cardiol Res Pract 2011:268058, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21559257.
- Sanon S, Lenihan DJ, Mouhayar E. Peripheral Arterial Ischemic Events in Cancer Patients. Vasc Med 16(2):119-30, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21112902.
- Mouhayar E, Salahudeen A. Hypertension in Cancer Patients. Tex Heart Inst J 38(3):263–265, 2011. PMID: 21720467.
- Sarin S, Mouhayar EN, Blankenship JC, Costello J, Woomert CA, Nassef LA, Qureshi A. Conservative Management of Left Ventricular Pseudoaneurysm Guided by Cardiac Magnetic Resonance. Clin Cardiol 32(7):E33-4, 2009. PMID: 17803248.
- Tadros GM, Mouhayar EN, Akinwande AO, Campbell B, Wood C, Blankenship JA. Prevention of Radiocontrast-Induced Nephropathy with N-Acetylcysteine in Patients Undergoing Coronary Angiography. J Invasive Cardiol 15(6):311-4, 2003. PMID: 12777667.
- Mouhayar EN, Blankenship JC, Fenster BD, Iliadis EA, McConnell TR. Coronary Artery "Pseudothrombus" Due to Collateral Flow Artifact Distal to Left Circumflex Coronary Stenosis. J Interv Cardiol 15(5):425-9; discussion 429-30, 2002. PMID: 12440191.
- Awan F, Mouhayar E. BTK Inhibitors and Cardiac Considerations in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. CME / ABIM MOC / CE activity sponsored by Medscape, 2017.
- Yeh E, Khakoo A, Mouhayar E. Optimizing Outcomes in Cancer Treatment by Managing the Cardiotoxicity of Targeted Therapy. Online CME activity sponsored by Indiana University School Of Medicine, 2009.
- Donisan T, Balanescu DV, Mouhayar E, Tayar J, Iliescu C. Coronary Lesions in Takayasu Arteritis With Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia - Intravascular Assessment With Optical Coherence Tomography and Fractional Flow Reserve. Circ J. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29952342.
- Mouhayar E. Onco-Cardiology: A Specialty that Goes Beyond Managing Cardiovascular Toxicity. Cancer Res Prev Treat 45(11):821-830, 2018.
- Shumway J, Mouhayar M, Vickers H, Kim P, Mohamed A, Rosenthal D, Mouhayar E, Fuller C. Reproducibility Assessment of the Carotid Intima Media Thickness and Carotid Vascular Strain Parameters in Head and Neck Cancer Patients Undergoing Radiation Therapy. Society of Vascular Medicine Annual Meeting, 2017.
- Fadol A, Mouahyar E. The use of cardiac resynchronization therapy in cancer patients with heart failure. Division of Internal Medicine Research Retreat 2017, 2017.
- Kypriotakis G, Chaftari P, Tayar JH, Mouhayar E. Increasing Varenicline to 3mg per day imrpoves smoking abstinence: a propensity score analysis. Society of Research on Nicotine and Tobacco 2017 Annual Meeting, 2017.
- Kypriotakis G, Karam-Hage M, Robinson JD, Green CE, Zheng D, Mann G, Rabius V, Wippold R, Blalock JA, Mouhayar E, Tayar J, Chaftari P, Cinciripini PM. Improvement of Smoking Abstinence Rates with increased Varenicline Dosage: A Propensity Score Matched Analysis. Society of Research on Nicotine and Tobacco 2017 Annual Meeting, 2017.
- Shumway J, Mouhayar M, Vickers H, Kim P, Mohamed A, Rosenthal D, Mouhayar E, Fuller C. Reproducibility Assessment of the Carotid Intima Media Thickness and Carotid Vascular Strain Parameters in Head and Neck Cancer Patients Undergoing Radiation Therapy. International Conference on Cancer and the Heart, 2016.
- Fadol AP, Mouhayar E, Fellman BM. The Use of Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy in Cancer Patients with Heart Failure: Preliminary Findings in a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Heart Failure Society of America Meeting 2016, 2016.
- El Haddad D, Iliescu C, William Jr W, Mouhayar E. Survival outcome of cancer patients with pericardial effusions. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2015, 2015.
- Khair T, El-Haddad D, Srujal P, Mamagiolis K, Cilingiroglu M, Iliescu G, Yusuf SW, Mouhayar E, Iliescu C. Triple jeopardy: Heart disease, Cancer and Thrombocytopenia - fluoroscopic and echocardiographic guided pericardiocentesis in cancer patients with cardiac tamponade and thrombocytopenia. Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions Scientific Sessions, 2015.
- El Haddad D, Iliescu C, William Jr W, Mouhayar E. Survival outcome of cancer patients with pericardial effusions. ASCO 2015 Scientific Sessions, 2015.
- Iliescu C, Yusuf SW, Iliescu G, Vejpongsa P, Durand JB, Mouhayar E, Cilingiroglu M, Marmagkiolis K. Cardiac Catheterization in Cancer Patients with Thrombocytopenia: 4-Year Experience from a High Volume Cancer Center Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory. ACC 64th Annual Scientific Session & Expo, 2015.
- Basen-Engquist K, Hughes D, Harrison C, Baum G, Mouhayar E,. Association of Physical Activity with Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Cardiac Function in Cancer Survivors with Chemotherapy-related Heart Failure. Take Heart ASCO 2014, 2014.
- Harrsion CA, Baum G, Song J, Basen-Engquist K, Mouhayar E. Pilot Test of Exercise Intervention in Chemotherapy-Related Heart Failure Patients: Effects on Fatigue. 2014 American College of Sports Medicine, 2014.
- Mouhayar EM, Aoun R, Kim P, Iliescu C. Etiology of Acute Limb Ischemia in Cancer Patients. 24th Scientific Sessions of Society for Vascular Medicine Meeting, 2013.
- Mukerji S, Yusuf SW, Banchs J, Mouhayar E, Tomakin G, Iliescu G, Durand JB, Iliescu C. Impact of Chronic Thrombocytopenia in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease and Cancer. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions 79(6):S51, 2012.
- Iliescu C, Reyes M, Abi Aad SB, Banchs J, Mouhayar EN, Leja M, Daher IN, Yusuf SW, Durand JB,. Clinical Features and Outcomes of Stress-Induced Cardiomyopathy in Cancer. ACC 60th Annual Scientific Session & Expo, 2011.
- Mouhayar EN, Abi Aad SB, Massey M, Iliescu C, Yusuf S, Daher IN,. Acute Peripheral Arterial Ischemic Events in Cancer Patients. ACC 60th Annual Scientific Session & Expo, 2011.
- Khakoo A, Massey M, Chua C, Chiu A, Mouhayar, E, Durand JB, Lenihan DJ. Hypertension, Potentially Leading to Heart Failure, Associated with Anti-Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Therapy Can Be Predicted by Baseline Levels of Circulating Serum Biomarkers. Journal of Cardiac Failure 15(6):S65, 2009.
- Daher IN, Mouhayar E, Banchs J, Yusuf SW, Durand JB, Gladish G. Impact of Cardiac Computed Tomographic Angiography Findings on Planning of Cancer Therapy Planning in Patients with Concomitant Structural Heart Disease. 4th Annual Meeting of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, 2009.
- Elmi F, Mouhayar E, Wood GC, Blankenship JC. N-Acetylcysteine and Contrast Induced Nephropathy in Diabetic Patients Undergoing Coronary Angiography or Intervention. 26th Annual Scientific Sessions of the Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions, 2003.
- Elie Mouhayar, Farhad Elmi, Gurdev Singh, John Costello, Craig Wood, Timothy McConnell, A.O. Akinwande, Elias Iliadis, Francis Menapace.. Safety of Emergency Room Chest Pain Units in the Assessment of Patients with Atypical Chest Pain and Previously Documented Coronary Artery Disease. AHA 4th Scientific Forum on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research in Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke, 2002.
- Mouhayar E, Tadros G, Akinwande G, Campbell J, Blankenship J, Iliads E. Prevention of Contrast-Induced Renal Dysfunction with Acetylcysteine in Patients Undergoing Coronary Angiography. 51st Annual American College of Cardiology Scientific Session, 2002.
- BD Fenster, T. Scott, E. Mouhayar, F.A. Bachour, T.R. McConnell, F.J. Menapace, J. Chapman, J.C. Blankenship, E.A. Iliads. Correlation of a Non-Critical Fraction flow Reserve with Functional Test Performance and Long Term Clinical Outcome. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions 53:1:25, 2001.
- M. Samaha: Z. Elghoul: E. Mouhayar; R. Eid; T.M. Kilkenny. Cardiologist's Evaluation of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Patients Admitted with Chest Pain. Chest 114:380S- 381S, 1998.
- Mouhayar E. Pericardial Effusion. In: MD Anderson Practices in Onco-Cardiology: Houston, 25-26, 2016.
- Mouhayar E, Kim P, Thompson K. Onco-Cardiology. In: MD Anderson Manual of Medical Oncology. McGraw Hill, 2016.
- Chaftari P, Mouhayar E, Iliescu C, Hassan SA, Kim P. Cardiac Emergencies in Cancer Patients. In: Oncologic Emergencies. Springer: New York, 55-92, 2016.
- Mouhayar E. Peripheral arterial diseases in cancer patients. In: Cardio-Oncology, 2015.
- Mouhayar, E. Peripheral arterial disease in cancer patients. In: Cancer and the Heart, 2012.
- Mouhayar E, Lech T. Hypertension in Cancer Patients. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease, 2011.
- Mouhayar, E. Peripheral Vascular Disease. In: Cancer and the Heart, 3rd Edition. Springer: United States of America.