Mattie Allen Fair Professor in Cancer Research, Department of Experimental Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor (Tenured), Department of Experimental Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor (Tenured), Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1976||Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA, PHD, Experimental Pathology/Radiation Biology|
|1967||University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health and Graduate School of Education, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, M.Ed, Education/Radiation Biology|
|1965||Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA, USA, BS, Biology|
|2010-2012||Executive Education Program, Women's Senior Leadership Program, Kellogg School of Management Northwestern University, Chicago, IL|
|1999-2000||Fellow, Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM), Philadelphia, PA|
|1992-1992||Executive Development Program, Professional, Rice University and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1976-1979||Research Scientist (lecturer), Radiation Biology, Mount Vernon Hospital Gray Laboratory, Northwood, Middlesex|
Faculty Member, The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX, 1982 - 2013
Associate Vice President, Department of Women Faculty Programs, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2016
|2015||President's Recognition for Faculty Excellence, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2009||Women in Medicine and Science Leadership Development Award (for an individual), Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)|
|2007||Fellow (FASTRO), American Society of Radiation Oncology|
|1997||Mattie Allen Fair Professorship in Cancer Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|1995||Dean's Excellence Award for Contributions to Graduate Education, The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences|
|1984||Medal for Distinguished Service, Year Book Medical Publishers|
|1983||Clinical Society Award, U.S. Public Health Service|
|1976||Outstanding Young Women of America|
- Travis EL, Rachakonda G, Zhou X, Korhonen K, Sekhar KR, Biswas S, Freeman ML. NRF2 deficiency reduces life span of mice administered thoracic irradiation. Free Radic Biol Med 51(6):1175-83, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21712086.
- Bauer AK, Travis EL, Malhotra SS, Rondini EA, Walker C, Cho HY, Trivedi S, Gladwell W, Reddy S, Kleeberger SR. Identification of novel susceptibility genes in ozone-induced inflammation in mice. Eur Respir J 36(2):428-37, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 20032013.
- Moghaddam SJ, Clement CG, De la Garza MM, Zou X, Travis EL, Young HW, Evans CM, Tuvim MJ, Dickey BF. Haemophilus influenzae lysate induces aspects of the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease phenotype. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 38(6):629-638, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 18096867.
- Pilling D, Roife D, Wang M, Ronkainen SD, Crawford JR, Travis EL, Gomer RH. Reduction of Bleomycin-Induced Pulmonary Fibrosis by Serum Amyloid P. J Immunol 179(6):4035-4044, 2007. PMID: 17785842.
- Terzian T, Wang Y, Van Pelt CS, Box NF, Travis EL, Lozano G. Haploinsufficiency of Mdm2 and Mdm4 in Tumorigenesis and Development. Mol Cell Biol 27(15):5479-5485, 2007. PMID: 17526734.
- Guerrero T, Castillo R, Noyola-Martinez J, Torres M, Zhou X, Guerra R, Cody D, Komaki R, Travis E. Reduction of pulmonary compliance found with high resolution computed tomography in irradiated mice. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 67(3):870-887, 2007. PMID: 17293238.
- Cavanaugh D, Travis EL, Price RE, Gladish G, White RA, Wang M, Cody DD. Quantification of bleomycin-induced murine lung damage in vivo with micro-computed tomography. Acad Radiol 13(12):1505-12, 2006. PMID: 17138119.
- Komaki R, Chang JY, Wu X, Allen PK, Milas L, Liao Z, Fossella FV, Travis E, Spitz MR. Mutagen sensitivity may predict lung protection by amifostine for patients with locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer treated by chemoradiotherapy. Semin Oncol 32(2 Suppl 3):S92-8, 2005. PMID: 16015542.
- Stone HB, Moulder JE, Coleman CN, Ang KK, Anscher MS, Barcellos-Hoff MH, Dynan WS, Fike JR, Grdina DJ, Greenberger JS, Hauer-Jensen M, Hill RP, Kolesnick RN, Macvittie TJ, Marks C, McBride WH, Metting N, Pellmar T, Purucker M, Robbins ME, Schiestl RH, Seed TM, Tomaszewski JE, Travis EL, Wallner PE, Wolpert M, Zaharevitz D. Models for evaluating agents intended for the prophylaxis, mitigation and treatment of radiation injuries. Report of an NCI Workshop, December 3-4, 2003. Radiat Res 162(6):711-28, 2004. PMID: 15548121.
- Du M, Irani RA, Stivers DN, Lee SJ, Travis EL. H2-Ea deficiency is a risk factor for bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis in mice. Cancer Res 64(19):6835-9, 2004. PMID: 15466168.
- Cavanaugh D, Johnson E, Price RE, Kurie J, Travis EL, Cody DD. In vivo respiratory-gated micro-CT imaging in small-animal oncology models. Mol Imaging 3(1):55-62, 2004. PMID: 15142412.
- Coleman CN, Stone HB, Alexander GA, Barcellos-Hoff MH, Bedford JS, Bristow RG, Dynlacht JR, Fuks Z, Gorelic LS, Hill RP, Joiner MC, Liu FF, McBride WH, McKenna WG, Powell SN, Robbins ME, Rockwell S, Schiff PB, Shaw EG, Siemann DW, Travis EL, Wallner PE, Wong RS, Zeman EM. Education and training for radiation scientists: Radiation Research Program and American Society for Radiation Oncology Workshop, Bethesda, Maryland, May 12-14, 2003. Radiat Res 160(6):729-37, 2003. PMID: 14640790.
- Putnam JB, Royston D, Chambers AF, Dunbar S, Lemmer JH, Norman P, Travis E, Vaporciyan AA, Yang S, Zacharski LR. Evaluating the role of serine protease inhibition in the management of tumor micrometastases. Oncology (Williston Park) 17(10 Suppl 10):9-30; quiz 31-2, 2003. PMID: 14606367.
- Haston CK, Wang M, Dejournett RE, Zhou X, Ni D, Gu X, King TM, Weil MM, Newman RA, Amos CI, Travis EL. Bleomycin hydrolase and a genetic locus within the MHC affect risk for pulmonary fibrosis in mice. Hum Mol Genet 11(16):1855-63, 2002. PMID: 12140188.
- Haston CK, Zhou X, Gumbiner-Russo L, Irani R, Dejournett R, Gu X, Weil M, Amos CI, Travis EL. Universal and radiation-specific loci influence murine susceptibility to radiation-induced pulmonary fibrosis. Cancer Res 62(13):3782-8, 2002. PMID: 12097289.
- Rosen II, Fischer TA, Antolak JA, Starkschall G, Travis EL, Tucker SL, Hogstrom KR, Cox JD, Komaki R. Correlation between lung fibrosis and radiation therapy dose after concurrent radiation therapy and chemotherapy for limited small cell lung cancer. Radiology 221(3):614-22, 2001. PMID: 11719654.
- Skwarchuk MW, Travis EL. Changes in histology and fibrogenic cytokines in irradiated colorectum of two murine strains. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 42(1):169-78, 1998. PMID: 9747835.
- Skwarchuk MW, Travis EL. Murine strain differences in the volume effect and incidence of radiation-induced colorectal obstruction. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 41(4):889-95, 1998. PMID: 9652854.
- Geara FB, Komaki R, Tucker SL, Travis EL, Cox JD. Factors influencing the development of lung fibrosis after chemoradiation for small cell carcinoma of the lung: evidence for inherent interindividual variation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 41(2):279-86, 1998. PMID: 9607342.
- Epperly M, Bray J, Kraeger S, Zwacka R, Engelhardt J, Travis E, Greenberger J. Prevention of late effects of irradiation lung damage by manganese superoxide dismutase gene therapy. Gene Ther 5(2):196-208, 1998. PMID: 9578839.
- Skwarchuk MW, Travis EL. Volume effects and epithelial regeneration in irradiated mouse colorectum. Radiat Res 149(1):1-10, 1998. PMID: 9421148.
- Haston CK, Travis EL. Murine susceptibility to radiation-induced pulmonary fibrosis is influenced by a genetic factor implicated in susceptibility to bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis. Cancer Res 57(23):5286-91, 1997. PMID: 9393751.
- Travis EL, Liao ZX, Tucker SL. Spatial heterogeneity of the volume effect for radiation pneumonitis in mouse lung. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 38(5):1045-54, 1997. PMID: 9276371.
- Tucker SL, Liao ZX, Travis EL. Estimation of the spatial distribution of target cells for radiation pneumonitis in mouse lung. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 38(5):1055-1066, 1997. PMID: 9276372.
- Dileto CL, Travis EL. Fibroblast radiosensitivity in vitro and lung fibrosis in vivo: comparison between a fibrosis-prone and fibrosis-resistant mouse strain. Radiat Res 146(1):61-7, 1996. PMID: 8677299.
- Haston CK, Amos CI, King TM, Travis EL. Inheritance of susceptibility to bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in the mouse. Cancer Res 56(11):2596-601, 1996. PMID: 8653703.
Books (edited and written)
- Travis EL. Legends and Legacies: Personal journeys of women physicians and scientists at MD Anderson Cancer Center. The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2008.
- Travis EL. Primer of Medical Radiobiology. 1st ed, 1975; 2nd ed, 1989. Mosby, 1989.
|Title:||UPRCC/MDACC: Partnership for Excellence in Cancer Research|
|Title:||Modulating Radiation Induced Pneumonitis with Zyflamend|
|Funding Source:||New Chapter, Inc|
|Title:||Repression of ARE-Mediated Gene Expression|
|Funding Source:||University of Vanderbilt|
|Title:||UPRCC/MDACC: Partnership for Excellence in Cancer Research|