Meet Emma Holliday, M.D.
About Dr. Holliday
Dr. Holliday is an Assistant Professor in the Gastrointestinal (GI) Radiation Oncology Section at MD Anderson.
The MD Anderson GI Radiation Oncology Section represents decades of GI cancer expertise by nine radiation oncology doctors, and a specialized team of GI radiotherapy physician assistants, nurses, physicists, therapists, and dosimetrists. We treat cancers of the stomach, liver, bile duct, pancreas, rectum, and anus. We offer every type of radiotherapy technology including intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT), and proton therapy, always selected and personalized for each patient. We are constantly working to improve radiotherapy for GI cancers, and offer many clinical trials designed to make radiotherapy more effective with fewer side effects.
Dr. Holliday treats all types of GI cancers. She is well-known for her research in advanced radiation technologies including proton therapy. She also has an interest in medical education and gender studies. She has published over 50 research and scientific articles, as well as several textbook chapters.
In the News
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2011||University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, USA, MD, Internal Medicine|
|2006||Boston University, Boston, MA, USA, BA, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Honors Program|
|2012-2016||Clinical Residency, Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2011-2012||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX|
|2015||RSNA Roentgen Resident Research Award, RSNA|
|2013||ASTRO Resident Poster Viewing Recognition Award - Clinical, ASTRO|
|2012||Outstanding Intern in Medical Student Education|
- Jones RD, Chapman CH, Holliday EB, Lalani N, Wilson E, Bonner JA, Movsas B, Kalnicki S, Formenti SC, Thomas CR, Hahn SM, Liu FF, Jagsi R, Society of Chairs of Academic Radiation Oncology Programs (SCAROP). Qualitative Assessment of Academic Radiation Oncology Department Chairs' Insights on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Progress, Challenges, and Future Aspirations. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 101(1):30-45, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29477292.
- Holliday EB, Allen PK, Elhalawani H, Abdel-Rahman O. Treatment at a high-volume centre is associated with improved survival among patients with non-metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma. Liver Int 38(4):665-675, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28853231.
- Amer AM, Zaid M, Chaudhury B, Elganainy D, Lee Y, Wilke CT, Cloyd J, Wang H, Maitra A, Wolff RA, Varadhachary G, Overman MJ, Lee JE, Fleming JB, Tzeng CW, Katz MH, Holliday EB, Krishnan S, Minsky BD, Herman JM, Taniguchi CM, Das P, Crane CH, Le O, Bhosale P, Tamm EP, Koay EJ. Imaging-based biomarkers: Changes in the tumor interface of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma on computed tomography scans indicate response to cytotoxic therapy. Cancer 124(8):1701-1709, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29370450.
- Rock CB, Prabhu AV, Fuller CD, Thomas CR, Holliday EB. Evaluation of the Relative Citation Ratio, a New National Institutes of Health-Supported Bibliometric Measure of Research Productivity, among Academic Radiation Oncologists. J Am Coll Radiol 15(3 Pt A):469-474, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29301726.
- Holliday EB, Brady C, Pipkin WC, Somerson JS. Equal Pay for Equal Work: Medicare Procedure Volume and Reimbursement for Male and Female Surgeons Performing Total Knee and Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 100(4):e21, 2018. PMID: 29462043.
- Holliday EB, Kuban DA, Levy LB, Bolukbasi Y, Master P, Choi S, Nguyen Q, McGuire SE, Mahmood U, Frank SJ, Hoffman KE. Select men benefit from androgen deprivation therapy delivered with salvage radiation therapy after prostatectomy. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 20(4):389-394, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28462945.
- Holliday EB, Hunt A, You YN, Chang GJ, Skibber JM, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Bednarski BK, Eng C, Koay EJ, Minsky BD, Taniguchi C, Krishnan S, Herman JM, Das P. Short course radiation as a component of definitive multidisciplinary treatment for select patients with metastatic rectal adenocarcinoma. J Gastrointest Oncol 8(6):990-997, 2017. PMID: 29299359.
- Yoo SK, Ahmed AA, Ileto J, Zaorsky NG, Deville C, Holliday EB, Wilson LD, Jagsi R, Thomas CR. Industry Funding Among Leadership in Medical Oncology and Radiation Oncology in 2015. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(2):280-285, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28366578.
- Cope SR, Holliday EB, Somerson JS. Factors Associated With Publication Impact at Shoulder and Elbow Surgery Fellowships. J Surg Educ 74(5):883-888, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28259487.
- McClelland S, Thomas CR, Wilson LD, Holliday EB, Jaboin JJ. Association of preresidency peer-reviewed publications with radiation oncology resident choice of academic versus private practice career. Pract Radiat Oncol 7(5):364-367, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28433523.
- Holliday EB, Bonner JA, Formenti SC, Hahn SM, Kalnicki S, Liu FF, Movsas B, Fuller CD, Thomas CR. Emotional Intelligence and Burnout in Academic Radiation Oncology Chairs. J Healthc Manag 62(5):302-313, 2017. PMID: 28885530.
- Holliday EB, Tao R, Brownlee Z, Das P, Krishnan S, Taniguchi C, Minsky BD, Herman JM, Kaseb A, Raghav K, Conrad C, Vauthey JN, Aloia TA, Chun YS, Crane CH, Koay EJ. Definitive radiation therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein tumor thrombus. Clin Transl Radiat Oncol 4:39-45, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29594206.
- Ahmed AA, Hwang WT, Holliday EB, Chapman CH, Jagsi R, Thomas CR, Deville C. Female Representation in the Academic Oncology Physician Workforce: Radiation Oncology Losing Ground to Hematology Oncology. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):31-33, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28587049.
- Holliday EB, Kirsner SM, Thames HD, Mason BE, Nelson CL, Bloom ES. Lower mean heart dose with deep inspiration breath hold-whole breast irradiation compared with brachytherapy-based accelerated partial breast irradiation for women with left-sided tumors. Pract Radiat Oncol 7(2):80-85, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28274398.
- Farooqi AS, Holliday EB, Allen PK, Wei X, Cox JD, Komaki R. Prophylactic cranial irradiation after definitive chemoradiotherapy for limited-stage small cell lung cancer: Do all patients benefit?. Radiother Oncol 122(2):307-312, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28073578.
- Zhang C, Murata S, Murata M, Fuller CD, Thomas CR, Choi M, Holliday EB. Factors associated with increased academic productivity among US academic radiation oncology faculty. Pract Radiat Oncol 7(1):e59-e64, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27637135.
- Holliday EB, Hampton DA, Thomas CR, Rana S. Prognostic value of the Yale Grading System for Superior Vena Cava Syndrome. Ann Am Thorac Soc 13(10):1862-1865, 2016. PMID: 27726436.
- Diamond SJ, Thomas CR, Desai S, Holliday EB, Jagsi R, Schmitt C, Enestvedt BK. Gender Differences in Publication Productivity, Academic Rank, and Career Duration Among U.S. Academic Gastroenterology Faculty. Acad Med 91(8):1158-63, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27144993.
- McKeever MR, Sio TT, Gunn GB, Holliday EB, Blanchard P, Kies MS, Weber RS, Frank SJ. Reduced Acute Toxicity and Improved Efficacy from Intensity-Modulated Proton Therapy (IMPT) for the Management of head and Neck Cancer. Chin Clin Oncol 5(4):54, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27506808.
- Blanchard P, Garden AS, Gunn GB, Rosenthal DI, Morrison WH, Hernandez M, Crutison J, Lee JJ, Ye R, Fuller CD, Mohamed AS, Hutcheson KA, Holliday EB, Thaker NG, Sturgis EM, Kies MS, Zhu XR, Mohan R, Frank SJ. Intensity-modulated proton beam therapy (IMPT) versus intensity-modulated photon therapy (IMRT) for patients with oropharynx cancer - A case matched analysis. Radiother Oncol 120(1):48-55, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27342249.
- Ahmed AA, Holliday EB, Ileto J, Yoo SK, Green M, Orman A, Deville C, Jagsi R, Haffty BG, Wilson LD. Close to Home: Employment Outcomes for Recent Radiation Oncology Graduates. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 95(3):1017-21, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27302515.
- Ahmed AA, Holliday EB, Fakhreddine M, Yoo SK, Deville C, Jagsi R. Trends in Disclosures of Industry Sponsorship. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 95(4):1093-101, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27130795.
- Holliday EB, Esmaeli B, Pinckard J, Garden AS, Rosenthal DI, Morrison WH, Kies MS, Gunn GB, Fuller CD, Phan J, Beadle BM, Zhu XR, Zhang X, Frank SJ. A Multidisciplinary Orbit-Sparing Treatment Approach That Includes Proton Therapy for Epithelial Tumors of the Orbit and Ocular Adnexa. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 95(1):344-52, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26454680.
- Ence AK, Cope SR, Holliday EB, Somerson JS. Publication Productivity and Experience: Factors Associated with Academic Rank Among Orthopaedic Surgery Faculty in the United States. J Bone Joint Surg Am 98(10):e41, 2016. PMID: 27194503.
- Fromme EK, Holliday EB, Nail LM, Lyons KS, Hribar MR, Thomas CR. Computerized patient-reported symptom assessment in radiotherapy: a pilot randomized, controlled trial. Support Care Cancer 24(4):1897-906, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26471280.
- Lewis GD, Holliday EB, Kocak-Uzel E, Hernandez M, Garden AS, Rosenthal DI, Frank SJ. Intensity-modulated proton therapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma: Decreased radiation dose to normal structures and encouraging clinical outcomes. Head Neck 38 Suppl 1:E1886-95, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26705956.
- Ahmed AA, Holliday EB , Wilson LD. In Reply to Ye et al. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 94(5):1222-3, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27026324.
- Holliday EB, Frank SJ. Proton therapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Chin Clin Oncol 5(2):25, 2016. PMID: 27121885.
- Holliday EB, Dieckmann NF, McDonald TL, Hung AY, Thomas CR, Wood LJ. Relationship between fatigue, sleep quality and inflammatory cytokines during external beam radiation therapy for prostate cancer: A prospective study. Radiother Oncol 118(1):105-11, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26743832.
- Holliday EB, Kocak-Uzel E, Feng L, Thaker NG, Blanchard P, Rosenthal DI, Gunn GB, Garden AS, Frank SJ. Dosimetric advantages of intensity-modulated proton therapy for oropharyngeal cancer compared with intensity-modulated radiation: A case-matched control analysis. Med Dosim 41(3):189-94, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27158021.
- Ahmed AA, Holliday EB , Deville C, Jagsi R, Haffty BG, Wilson LD. Attracting Future Radiation Oncologists: An Analysis of the National Resident Matching Program Data Trends From 2004 to 2015. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 93(5):965-7, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26452568.
- Holliday EB, Thomas CR, Kusano AS. Integrity of the National Resident Matching Program for Radiation Oncology: National Survey of Applicant Experiences. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 92(3):525-31, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25936811.
- Holliday EB, Ahmed AA, Yoo SK, Jagsi R, Hoffman KE. Does Cancer Literature Reflect Multidisciplinary Practice? A Systematic Review of Oncology Studies in the Medical Literature Over a 20-Year Period. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 92(4):721-31, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26104927.
- Holliday EB, Ahmed AA, Jagsi R, Stentz NC, Woodward WA, Fuller CD, Thomas CR. Pregnancy and Parenthood in Radiation Oncology, Views and Experiences Survey (PROVES): Results of a Blinded Prospective Trainee Parenting and Career Development Assessment. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 92(3):516-24, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25892584.
- Holliday E, Griffith KA, De Castro R, Stewart A, Ubel P, Jagsi R. Gender differences in resources and negotiation among highly motivated physician-scientists. J Gen Intern Med 30(4):401-7, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25112462.
- Holliday EB, Mitra HS, Somerson JS, Rhines LD, Mahajan A, Brown PD, Grosshans DR. Postoperative proton therapy for chordomas and chondrosarcomas of the spine: adjuvant versus salvage radiation therapy. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 40(8):544-9, 2015. PMID: 25627289.
- Holliday EB, Yang G, Jagsi R, Hoffman KE, Bennett KE, Grace C, Zietman AL. Fate of manuscripts rejected from the Red Journal. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 91(1):3-10, 2015. PMID: 25835616.
- Holliday EB, Kusano A, Thomas CR Jr. Integrity of the national resident matching program for radiation oncology: national survey of applicant experiences. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 92(3):525-31, 2015.
- Holliday EB, Garden AS, Rosenthal DI, Fuller CD, Morrison WH, Gunn GB, Phan J, Beadle BM, Zhu XR, Zhang X, Hanna E, Glisson BS, Hutcheson KA, El-Naggar AK, Hong JH, Hung TM, Kocak Uzel E, Lewis GL, Frank SJ. Proton therapy reduces treatment-related toxicities for patients with nasopharyngeal cancer: a case-match control study of intensity modulated proton therapy (IMPT) and intensity modulated photon therapy (IMRT). Int J Particle Therapy 2(1):19-28, 2015.
- Holliday EB, Frank SJ. Proton radiation therapy for head and neck cancer: a review of the clinical experience to date. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 89(2):292-302, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24837890.
- Holliday EB, Jagsi R, Wilson LD, Choi M, Thomas CR, Fuller CD. Gender differences in publication productivity, academic position, career duration, and funding among U.S. academic radiation oncology faculty. Acad Med 89(5):767-73, 2014. PMID: 24667510.
- Choi M, Holliday EB, Jagsi R, Wilson LD, Fuller CD, Thomas CR. Citation-based Estimation of Scholarly Activity Among Domestic Academic Radiation Oncologists: Five-Year Update. J Radiat Oncol 3(1):115-122, 2014. PMID: 24678385.
- Holliday EB, Jagsi R, Thomas CR, Wilson LD, Fuller CD. Standing on the shoulders of giants: results from the Radiation Oncology Academic Development and Mentorship Assessment Project (ROADMAP). Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 88(1):18-24, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24210670.
- Rana S, Holliday EB, Jagsi R, Wilson LD, Choi M, Thomas CR, Fuller CD. Scholastic activity among radiation oncology residents at US academic institutions: a benchmark analysis. J Cancer Educ 28(3):541-6, 2013. PMID: 23828146.
- Awan M, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Gunn GB, Beadle BM, Garden AS, Phan J, Holliday EB , Jones WE, Maani E, Patel A, Choi J, Clyburn V, Tantiwongkosi B, Rosenthal DI, Fuller CD. Prospective assessment of an atlas-based intervention combined with real-time software feedback in contouring lymph node levels and organs-at-risk in the head and neck: quantitative assessment of conformance to expert delineation. Pract Radiat Oncol 3(3):186-193, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 24674363.
- Quigley MR, Holliday EB, Fuller CD, Choi M, Thomas CR. Distribution of the h-index in radiation oncology conforms to a variation of power law: implications for assessing academic productivity. J Cancer Educ 27(3):463-6, 2012. PMID: 22544537.
- Holliday EB, Swanson GP, Du F, Basler JW. Older men with intermediate to high risk prostate cancer - patters of care and outcomes of treatment. Journal of Cancer Therapy 3:575-581, 2012.
- Holliday EB, Frank SJ. Current applications of proton beam radiation for the treatment of head and neck tumors. Otorinolaringo 64(1):1-11, 2014.
- Holliday EB, Sulman EP. Tumor prognostic factors and the challenge of developing predictive factors. Curr Oncol Rep 15(1):33-46, 2013. PMID: 23224629.
- Holliday EB, Jagsi R. Trends for female resident applications in radiation oncology. AAWR Focus Newsletter, 2013.