About Dr. Hawk
Ernest Hawk, M.D., MPH, is vice president and division head for Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and holds the T. Boone Pickens Distinguished Chair for Early Prevention of Cancer. Additional responsibilities include leadership of the Duncan Family Institute for Cancer Prevention and Risk Assessment, and co-leadership of MD Anderson’s Cancer Prevention and Control Platform which advances community health promotion and cancer control through evidence-based public policy, public and professional education, and community-based service implementation and dissemination.
A native of Detroit, MI, Dr. Hawk earned his bachelor’s and medical degrees at Wayne State University and his master of public health degree at Johns Hopkins University. He completed an internal medicine internship and residency at Emory University, a medical oncology clinical fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco and a cancer prevention fellowship at the National Cancer Institute (NCI).
Prior to his appointment at MD Anderson in December 2007, Dr. Hawk held several positions at the NCI in Bethesda, MD. He most recently served as director of the Office of Centers, Training and Resources, responsible for the NCI’s cancer centers program, a major translational science program (i.e., the SPORE program), the NCI’s extramural training enterprise, and its extramural disparities portfolio. His prior NCI posts included Chief and medical officer in the Gastrointestinal and Other Cancers Research Group, medical officer in the Chemoprevention Branch, and chair of the Translational Research Working Group.
Dr. Hawk has been involved in a wide range of preclinical and clinical chemoprevention research, including developmental studies of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, COX-2 inhibitors, and preventive agent combinations in high-risk cohorts. He earned numerous awards for his work, including the NCI Research Award for Distinguished Achievement in Cancer Prevention and the Distinguished Alumnus Award; as well as the ASCO/American Cancer Society Award. Most recently, his interests have broadened to include improvement of minority and underserved populations’ participation in clinical research, and the integration of risk assessment, behavioral science, and preventive strategies developed through sequential clinical trials for application in clinical or public health settings. He has published more than 175 scientific articles and book chapters, edited three books, and serves as the senior deputy editor for Cancer Prevention Research, and on the editorial board of Cancer Medicine.
For more information or to discuss issues related to any of Hawk’s areas of responsibility, you may contact him by calling 713-792-3900. You may also arrange a meeting through his executive assistant Cheri McClellan, by calling 713-745-0176 or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Boone Pickens Distinguished Chair for Early Prevention of Cancer, Department of Cancer Prevention, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Executive Director, Duncan Family Institute for Cancer Prevention and Risk Assessment, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Vice President, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Division Head, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Clinical Cancer Prevention, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Cancer Prevention and Control
Molecular Intersections between Cancer and Other Diseases
|1994||Johns Hopkins University School Of Hygiene & Pub Health, Baltimore, MD, USA, MPH, Epidemiology/Biostatistics|
|1985||Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1981||Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA, BS, Biological Sciences|
|1993-1996||Research Fellowship, Cancer Prevention Fellowship, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD|
|1991-1993||Clinical Fellowship, Medical Oncology Clinical Fellowship, University Of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA|
|1985-1988||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine Internship/Residency, Emory University Affiliated Hospitals, Atlanta, GA|
|2013||American Board of Internal Medicine - Recertification in Medical Oncology|
|2003||American Board of Internal Medicine - Recertification in Medical Oncology|
|1993||American Board of Internal Medicine - Diplomate in Medical Oncology|
|1988||American Board of Internal Medicine - Diplomate in Internal Medicine|
|1986||National Board of Medical Examiners - Diplomate|
Member, External Advisory Board, Massey Cancer Center at Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, 2019 - Present
Member, External Advisory Board, Rutgers/Cancer Institute of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ, 2019 - Present
Member, Physician Scientist Oncology Training Program External Advisory Committee, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, 2018 - Present
Chair, Internal Advisory Committee, Puerto Rico Community Center Control Outreach Program, Houston, TX, 2018 - Present
Member, External Scientific Advisory Committee, Albert Einstein Cancer Center, Bronx, NY, 2018 - Present
Member, Advisory Group, University of New Mexico Project ECHO, Albuquerque, NM, 2017 - 2017
Member, External Advisory Board, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD, 2017 - Present
Member, External Advisory Panel (ad hoc), Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, 2017 - 2017
Participant, Blue Ribbon Panel Working Group on Precision, Prevention and Early Detection, Washington, DC, 2016 - Present
Member, Shared Governance Committee, Houston, TX, 2015 - Present
Member, Board of Directors, CATCH Global Foundation, Austin, TX, 2015 - 2018
Member, Executive Clinical Operations Team, Houston, TX, 2015 - Present
Ad Hoc Reviewer, NCI Scientific Steering Committee, Bethesda, MD, 2015 - Present
Member, External Advisory Board, Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, 2015 - Present
Member, CCSG Review Advisory Board (ad hoc), Arizona Cancer Center, Tucson, AZ, 2009 - 2009
Member / External Scientific Advisory Board, Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center - James Cancer Hospital, Columbus, OH, 2008 - 2017
Member / External Advisory Board, Kansas University Cancer Center, Kansas City, KS, 2008 - Present
Member / External Advisory Board, University of Utah - Huntsman Cancer Center, Salt Lake City, UT, 2008 - Present
Member / External Advisory Board, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, 2008 - Present
Member / Scientific Advisory Committee, Harris County-Hospital and University National Children's Study, Houston, TX, 2008 - Present
Member / External Advisory Board, Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, Rochester, MN, 2008 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Operational Priority Team - Program Review, 2019 - 2019
Member, Internal Advisory Board, Mexican-American Cohort Study, UT MD Anderson, 2018 - Present
Member, Network Advisory Committee, 2018 - Present
Member, Shared Resource Executive Committee, 2018 - Present
Executive Committee Member, Komen Training Program to Reduce Breast Cancer Disparities in Black and Hispanic Women, 2018 - 2020
Member, Institutional Biospecimen Utilization Committee (IBUC), 2017 - Present
Member, Women and Minority Faculty Inclusion Advisory Committee, 2016 - Present
Chair, 2016 Rogers Award Selection Committee, 2016 - Present
Member, International Advisory Board, 2014 - Present
Member, Institutional Research Executive Committee (IREC), 2013 - Present
|2015||ASCO/American Cancer Society Award and Lecture|
|2015||2015 Provost's Distinguished Faculty Mentor Nominee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||Cancer Prevention Fellowship Distinguished Alumni Award, National Cancer Institute, Department of Health & Human Services|
|2011||Outstanding Leading Mentor in Cancer Prevention, Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2007||The Nancy Terner Behrman Lecture in Honor of Betty Flehinger, PhD, Weill Cornell Medical School, NYC|
- Lippman SM, Abate-Shen C, Colbert Maresso KL, Colditz GA, Dannenberg AJ, Davidson NE, Disis ML, DuBois RN, Szabo E, Giuliano AR, Hait WN, Lee JJ, Kensler TW, Kramer BS, Limburg P, Maitra A, Martinez ME, Rebbeck TR, Schmitz KH, Vilar E, Hawk ET. AACR White Paper: Shaping the Future of Cancer Prevention - A Roadmap for Advancing Science and Public Health. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 11(12):735-778, 2018. PMID: 30530635.
- Chang K, Willis JA, Reumers J, Taggart MW, San Lucas FA, Thirumurthi S, Kanth P, Delker DA, Hagedorn CH, Lynch PM, Ellis LM, Hawk ET, Scheet PA, Kopetz S, Arts J, Guinney J, Dienstmann R, Vilar E. Colorectal premalignancy is associated with consensus molecular subtypes 1 and 2. Ann Oncol 29(10):2061-2067, 2018. PMID: 30412224.
- Hawk E, Maresso KC, Brown P. NSAIDs to Prevent Breast Cancer Recurrence? An Unanswered Question. J Natl Cancer Inst 110(9):927-928, 2018. PMID: 29554350.
- Kanikarla-Marie P, Kopetz S, Hawk ET, Millward SW, Sood AK, Gresele P, Overman M, Honn K, Menter DG. Bioactive lipid metabolism in platelet "first responder" and cancer biology. Cancer Metastasis Rev 37(2-3):439-454, 2018. PMID: 30112590.
- Frech S, Muha CA, Stevens LM, Trimble EL, Brew R, Perin DP, Luciani S, Mohar A, Piñeros M, Vidaurre T, Morgan DR, Hawk ET, Schmeler KM, Foxhall LE, Rabadan-Diehl C, Duran D, Rendler-Garcia M, Cazap EL, Santini L, Zoss W, Delgado LB, Pearlman PC, Given L, Hohman K, Lopez MS, Kostelecky B. Perspectives on Strengthening Cancer Research and Control in Latin America Through Partnerships and Diplomacy: Experience of the National Cancer Institute's Center for Global Health. J Glob Oncol(4):1-11, 2018. PMID: 30241245.
- Chang K, Taggart MW, Reyes-Uribe L, Borras E, Riquelme E, Barnett RM, Leoni G, San Lucas FA, Catanese MT, Mori F, Diodoro MG, You YN, Hawk ET, Roszik J, Scheet P, Kopetz S, Nicosia A, Scarselli E, Lynch PM, McAllister F, Vilar E. Immune Profiling of Premalignant Lesions in Patients With Lynch Syndrome. JAMA Oncol 4(8):1085-1092, 2018. PMID: 29710228.
- Foxhall L, Moreno M, Hawk E. MD Anderson's Population Health Approaches to Cancer Prevention. Tex Med 114(2):34-41, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29393960.
- Frech S, Muha CA, Stevens LM, Trimble EL, Brew R, Perin DP, Luciani S, Moihar A, Pineros M, Vidaurre T, Morgan DR, Hawk ET, Schmeler KM, Foxhall LE, Rabadan-Diehl C, Duran D, Rendler-Garcia M, Cazap EL, Santini L, Zoss W, Delgado LB, Pearlman PC, Given L, Hohman K, Lopez M, Kostelecky B. Perspectives o Strengthening Cancer Research and Control in Latin America Through Partnerships and Diplomacy: Experience of the National Cancer Institute's Center for Global Health. J Glob Oncol, 2018. e-Pub 2018.
- Lopez MS, Baker ES, Milbourne AM, Gowen RM, Rodriguez AM, Lorenzoni C, Mwaba C, Msadabwe SC, Tavares JH, Fontes-Cintra G, Zucca-Matthes G, Callegaro-Filho D, Ramos-Martin D, Thiago de Carvalho I, Coelho R, Marques RM, Chulam T, Pontremoli-Salcedo M, Nozar F, Fiol V, Maza M, Arora S, Hawk ET, Schmeler KM. Project ECHO: A Telementoring Program for Cervical Cancer Prevention and Treatment in Low-Resource Settings. J Glob Oncol 3(5):658-665, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 29094102.
- Lin SH, Raju GS, Huff C, Ye Y, Gu J, Chen JS, Hildebrandt MAT, Liang H, Menter DG, Morris J, Hawk E, Stroehlein JR, Futreal A, Kopetz S, Mishra L, Wu X. The somatic mutation landscape of premalignant colorectal adenoma. Gut 67(7):1299-1305, 2017. PMID: 28607096.
- Tripp MK, Gershenwald JE, Davies MA, Garcia J, Gritz ER, Hawk ET, Peterson SK. Assessment of Compliance With Texas Legislation Banning Indoor UV Tanning by Minors. JAMA Dermatol 153(2):228-229, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27829081.
- Davis JS, Lee HY, Kim J, Advani SM, Peng HL, Banfield E, Hawk ET, Chang S, Frazier-Wood AC. Use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in US adults: changes over time and by demographic. Open Heart 4(1):e000550, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28674622.
- Maresso KC, Hawk E. Cancer Prevention Recommendations: Impact of Adherence. Semin Oncol Nurs 32(3):306-13, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27539284.
- Mahon SM, Hawk E. Introduction. Semin Oncol Nurs 32(3):185-6, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27539274.
- Hawk ET. Ernest Hawk Discusses the NCI-Designated Cancer Centers' Joint Statement on the HPV Vaccine. Oncology (Williston Park) 30(7), 2016. PMID: 27422108.
- DePinho RA, Hawk E. Cancer prevention in developing countries: a vision for preserving health in Mexico. Salud Publica Mex 58(2):93-96, 2016. PMID: 27557366.
- Umar A, Steele VE, Menter DG, Hawk ET. Mechanisms of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in cancer prevention. Semin Oncol 43(1):65-77, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26970125.
- Chitsazzadeh V, Coarfa C, Drummond JA, Nguyen T, Joseph A, Chilukuri S, Charpiot E, Adelmann CH, Ching G, Nguyen TN, Nicholas C, Thomas VD, Migden M, MacFarlane D, Thompson E, Shen J, Takata Y, McNiece K, Polansky MA, Abbas HA, Rajapakshe K, Gower A, Spira A, Covington KR, Xiao W, Gunaratne P, Pickering C, Frederick M, Myers JN, Shen L, Yao H, Su X, Rapini RP, Wheeler DA, Hawk ET, Flores ER, Tsai KY. Cross-species identification of genomic drivers of squamous cell carcinoma development across preneoplastic intermediates. Nat Commun 7:12601, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27574101.
- Hawk ET, Habermann EB, Ford JG, Wenzel JA, Brahmer JR, Chen MS, Jones LA, Hurd TC, Rogers LM, Nguyen LH, Ahluwalia JS, Fouad M, Vickers SM. Five National Cancer Institute-designated cancer centers' data collection on racial/ethnic minority participation in therapeutic trials: A current view and opportunities for improvement. Cancer 120 Suppl S7:1113-1121, 2014. PMID: 24643649.
- Herbst RS, Hobin JA, Gritz ER, Writing Committee for the AACR Subcommittee on Tobacco and Cancer [Hawk E, Hong WK]. AACR celebrates 50 years of tobacco research and policy. Clin Cancer Res 20(7):1709-18, 2014. PMID: 24691637.
- Hassan MM, Kaseb A, Etzel CJ, El-Serag H, Spitz MR, Chang P, Hale KS, Liu M, Rashid A, Shama M, Abbruzzese JL, Loyer EM, Kaur H, Hassabo HM, Vauthey JN, Wray CJ, Hassan BS, Patt YZ, Hawk E, Soliman KM, Li D. Genetic variation in the PNPLA3 gene and hepatocellular carcinoma in USA: Risk and prognosis prediction. Mol Carcinog 52 Suppl 1:139-47, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23776098.
- Wu X, Ajani JA, Gu J, Chang DW, Tan W, Hildebrandt MA, Huang M, Wang KK, Hawk E. MicroRNA Expression Signatures during Malignant Progression from Barrett's Esophagus to Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 6(3):196-205, 2013. PMID: 23466817.
- Kumar NB, Dhurandhar M, Aggarwal B, Anant S, Daniel K, Deng G, Djeu J, Dou J, Hawk E, Jayaram B, Jia L, Joshi R, Kararala M, Karunagaran D, Kucuk O, Kumar L, Malafa M, Samathanam GJ, Sarkar F, Siddiqi M, Singh RP, Srivastava A, White JD. Proceedings of the Indo-U.S. bilateral workshop on accelerating botanicals/biologics agent development research for cancer chemoprevention, treatment, and survival. Cancer Med 2(1):108-15, 2013. PMID: 24279005.
- Wen CP, Lin J, Yang YC, Tsai MK, Tsao CK, Etzel C, Huang M, Hsu CY, Ye Y, Mishra L, Hawk E, Wu X. Hepatocellular carcinoma risk prediction model for the general population: the predictive power of transaminases. J Natl Cancer Inst 104(20):1599-611, 2012. PMID: 23073549.
- Dai J, Gu J, Huang M, Eng C, Kopetz ES, Ellis LM, Hawk E, Wu X. GWAS-identified colorectal cancer susceptibility loci associated with clinical outcomes. Carcinogenesis 33(7):1327-31, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22505654.
- Cialdella-Kam L, Sabado P, Bispeck MK, Silverman S, Bernstein L, Krawiec V, Hawk E, O'Donnell JF. Implementing Cancer Prevention into Clinical Practice. J Cancer Educ 27(Suppl 2):S136-43, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22367592.
- Chan AT, Hsu M, Zauber AG, Hawk ET, Bertagnolli MM. The Influence of UGT1A6 Variants and Aspirin Use in a Randomized Trial of Celecoxib for Prevention of Colorectal Adenoma. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 5(1):61-72, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22030088.
- Ross W, Lynch P, Raju G, Rodriguez A, Burke T, Hafemeister L, Hawk E, Wu X, Dubois RN, Mishra L. Biomarkers, bundled payments, and colorectal cancer care. Genes Cancer 3(1):16-22, 2012. PMID: 22893787.
- Andriole GL, Crawford ED, Grubb RL, Buys SS, Chia D, Church TR, Fouad MN, Isaacs C, Kvale PA, Reding DJ, Weissfeld JL, Yokochi LA, O'Brien B, Ragard LR, Clapp JD, Rathmell JM, Riley TL, Hsing AW, Izmirlian G, Pinsky PF, Kramer BS, Miller AB, Gohagan JK, Prorok PC, PLCO Project Team. Prostate cancer screening in the randomized Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial: mortality results after 13 years of follow-up. J Natl Cancer Inst 104(2):125-32, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22228146.
- Chan AT, Sima CS, Zauber AG, Ridker PM, Hawk ET, Bertagnolli MM. C-reactive Protein and Risk of Colorectal Adenoma According to Celecoxib Treatment. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 4(8):1172-80, 2011. PMID: 21816845.
- Buys SS, Partridge E, Black A, Johnson CC, Lamerato L, Isaacs C, Reding DJ, Greenlee RT, Yokochi LA, Kessel B, Crawford ED, Church TR, Andriole GL, Weissfeld JL, Fouad MN, Chia D, O'Brien B, Ragard LR, Clapp JD, Rathmell JM, Riley TL, Hartge P, Pinsky PF, Zhu CS, Izmirlian G, Kramer BS, Miller AB, Xu JL, Prorok PC, Gohagan JK, Berg CD, PLCO Project Team. Effect of screening on ovarian cancer mortality: the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Cancer Screening Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA 305(22):2295-303, 2011. PMID: 21642681.
- Lin M, Hawk E, Huang M, Lin J, Gu J, Ellis LM, Wu X, Eng C. Identification of polymorphisms in ultraconserved elements (UCEs) associated with clinical outcomes in patients (pts) with stage II/III colorectal cancer (CRC). J Clin Oncol 29(15_suppl):3529, 2011. PMID: 28020328.
- Gu J, Ajani JA, Hawk ET, Ye Y, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Hofstetter WL, Swisher SG, Wang KK, Wu X. Chromosomal Aberrations Predict Malignant Progression of Esophageal Adenocarcinoma: a Genome-wide High-Density SNP Array Analysis. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3(9):1176-86, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20651033.
- Lynch PM, Ayers GD, Hawk E, Richmond E, Eagle C, Woloj M, Church J, Hasson H, Patterson S, Half E, Burke CA. The safety and efficacy of celecoxib in children with familial adenomatous polyposis. Am J Gastroenterol 105(6):1437-43, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20234350.
- Bertagnolli MM, Hsu M, Hawk ET, Eagle CJ, Zauber AG. Statin Use and Colorectal Adenoma Risk: Results from the Adenoma Prevention with Celecoxib Trial. Cancer Prev Res (Phila Pa) 3(5):588-96, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20403998.
- Lippman SM, Hawk ET. Cancer prevention: from 1727 to milestones of the past 100 years. Cancer Res 69(13):5269-84, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19491253.
- Bertagnolli MM, Eagle CJ, Zauber AG, Redston M, Breazna A, Kim K, Tang J, Rosenstein RB, Umar A, Bagheri D, Collins NT, Burn J, Chung DC, Dewar T, Foley TR, Hoffman N, Macrae F, Pruitt RE, Saltzman JR, Salzberg B, Sylwestrowicz T, Hawk ET. Five-year efficacy and safety analysis of the Adenoma Prevention with Celecoxib Trial. Cancer Prev Res (Phila Pa) 2(4):310-21, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19336730.
- Hawk ET, Matrisian LM, Nelson WG, Dorfman GS, Stevens L, Kwok J, Viner J, Hautala J, Grad O, Translational Research Working Group. The Translational Research Working Group developmental pathways: introduction and overview. Clin Cancer Res 14(18):5664-71, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18612047.
- Meyskens FL, McLaren CE, Pelot D, Fujikawa-Brooks S, Carpenter PM, Hawk E, Kelloff G, Lawson MJ, Kidao J, McCracken J, Albers CG, Ahnen DJ, Turgeon DK, Goldschmid S, Lance P, Hagedorn CH, Gillen DL, Gerner EW. Difluoromethylornithine Plus Sulindac for the Prevention of Sporadic Colorectal Adenomas: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind Trial. Cancer Prev Res (Phila Pa) 1(1):32-38, 2008. PMID: 18841250.
- Solomon SD, Wittes J, Finn PV, Fowler R, Viner J, Bertagnolli MM, Arber N, Levin B, Meinert CL, Martin B, Pater JL, Goss PE, Lance P, Obara S, Chew EY, Kim J, Arndt G, Hawk E, Cross Trial Safety Assessment Group. Cardiovascular Risk of Celecoxib in 6 Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trials The Cross Trial Safety Analysis. Circulation 117(16):2104-13, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18378608.
- Solomon SD, Pfeffer MA, McMurray JJ, Fowler R, Finn P, Levin B, Eagle C, Hawk E, Lechuga M, Zauber AG, Bertagnolli MM, Arber N, Wittes J, APC and PreSAP Trial Investigators. Effect of celecoxib on cardiovascular events and blood pressure in two trials for the prevention of colorectal adenomas. Circulation 114(10):1028-1035, 2006. PMID: 16943394.
- Bertagnolli MM, Eagle CJ, Zauber AG, Redston M, Solomon SD, Kim K, Tang J, Rosenstein RB, Wittes J, Corle D, Hess TM, Woloj GM, Boisserie F, Anderson WF, Viner JL, Bagheri D, Burn J, Chung DC, Dewar T, Foley TR, Hoffman N, Macrae F, Pruitt RE, Saltzman JR, Salzberg B, Sylwestrowicz T, Gordon GB, Hawk ET, APC Study Investigators. Celecoxib for the prevention of sporadic colorectal adenomas. N Engl J Med 355(9):873-84, 2006. PMID: 16943400.
- Solomon SD, McMurray JJ, Pfeffer MA, Wittes J, Fowler R, Finn P, Anderson WF, Zauber A, Hawk E, Bertagnolli M, Adenoma Prevention with Celecoxib (APC) Study Investigators. Cardiovascular risk associated with celecoxib in a clinical trial for colorectal adenoma prevention. N Engl J Med 352(11):1071-1080, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 15713944.
- Hawk ET, Levin B. Colorectal cancer prevention. J Clin Oncol 23(2):378-91, 2005. PMID: 15637400.
- Hawk ET, Umar A, Viner JL. Colorectal cancer chemoprevention--an overview of the science. Gastroenterology 126(5):1423-47, 2004. PMID: 15131803.
- Lam S, MacAulay C, Le Riche JC, Dyachkova Y, Coldman A, Guillaud M, Hawk E, Christen MO, Gazdar AF. A randomized phase IIb trial of anethole dithiolethione in smokers with bronchial dysplasia. J Natl Cancer Inst 94(13):1001-9, 2002. PMID: 12096085.
- Steinbach G, Lynch PM, Phillips RK, Wallace MH, Hawk E, Gordon GB, Wakabayashi N, Saunders B, Shen Y, Fujimura T, Su LK, Levin B. The effect of celecoxib, a cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor, in familial adenomatous polyposis. N Engl J Med 342(26):1946-52, 2000. PMID: 10874062.
- Hawk E, Lubet R, Limburg P. Chemoprevention in hereditary colorectal cancer syndromes. Cancer 86(11 Suppl):2551-63, 1999. PMID: 10630181.
- Lam S, leRiche JC, Zheng Y, Coldman A, MacAulay C, Hawk E, Kelloff G, Gazdar AF. Sex-related differences in bronchial epithelial changes associated with tobacco smoking. J Natl Cancer Inst 91(8):691-6, 1999. PMID: 10218506.
- Lin M, Eng C, Hawk ET, Huang M, Lin J, Gu J, Ellis LM, Wu X. Identification of polymorphisms in ultraconserved elements associated with clinical outcomes in locally advanced colorectal adenocarcinoma. Cancer 118(24). e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22673945.
- Wu X, Hildebrandt MA, Ye Y, Chow WH, Gu J, Cunningham S, Zhao H, Hawk ET, Wagar E, Rodriguez A, Hamilton SR. Cohort Profile: The MD Anderson Cancer Patients and Survivors Cohort (MDA-CPSC). Int J Epidemiol. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26686840.
- Maresso KC, Tsai KY, Brown PH, Szabo E, Lippman S, Hawk ET. Molecular cancer prevention: Current status and future directions. CA Cancer J Clin. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26284997.
- Hassan MM, Abdel-Wahab R, Kaseb A, Shalaby A, Phan AT, El-Serag HB, Hawk E, Morris J, Singh Raghav KP, Lee JS, Vauthey JN, Bortus G, Torres HA, Amos CI, Wolff RA, Li D. Obesity Early in Adulthood Increases Risk but Does Not Affect Outcomes of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Gastroenterology. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25836985.
- Lynch PM, Burke CA, Phillips R, Morris JS, Slack R, Wang X, Liu J, Patterson S, Sinicrope FA, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Half E, Bulow S, Latchford A, Clark S, Ross WA, Malone B, Hasson H, Richmond E, Hawk E. An international randomised trial of celecoxib versus celecoxib plus difluoromethylornithine in patients with familial adenomatous polyposis. Gut. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25792707.
- Gausachs M, Borras E, Chang K, González S, Azuara D, Delgado Amador A, Lopez-Doriga A, San Lucas FA, Sanjuan X, Paules MJ, Taggart M, Davies G, Ehli EA, Fowler J, Moreno V, Pineda M, You YN, Lynch PM, Lazaro C, Navin NE, Scheet P, Hawk ET, Capella G, Vilar E. Mutational Heterogeneity in APC and KRAS Arises at the Crypt level and Leads to Polyclonality in Early Colorectal Tumorigenesis. Clin Cancer Res. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28645942.
- Hassan MM, Botrus G, Abdel-Wahab R, Wolff RA, Li D, Tweardy D, Phan AT, Hawk E, Javle M, Lee JS, Torres HA, Rashid A, Lenzi R, Hassabo HM, Abaza Y, Shalaby AS, Lacin S, Morris J, Patt YZ, Amos CI, Khaderi SA, Goss JA, Jalal PK, Kaseb AO. Estrogen Replacement Reduces Risk and Increases Survival Times of Women With Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28579181.
- Hurd TC, Kaplan CD, Cook ED, Chilton JA, Lytton JS, Hawk ET, Jones LA. Building trust and diversity in patient-centered oncology clinical trials: An integrated model. Clin Trials:1740774516688860. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28166647.
- Borras E, San Lucas FA, Chang K, Zhou R, Masand G, Fowler J, Mork ME, You YN, Taggart MW, McAllister F, Jones DA, Davies GE, Edelmann W, Ehli EA, Lynch PM, Hawk ET, Capella G, Scheet P, Vilar E. Genomic Landscape of Colorectal Mucosa and Adenomas. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27221540.
- Vilar E, Maresso KC, Hawk ET. Aspirin for Cancer Prevention: One Step Closer. JAMA Oncol. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26939883.
- Hildebrandt MA, Reyes ME, Lin M, He Y, Nguyen SV, Hawk ET, Wu X. Germline genetic variants in the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway as predictors of colorectal cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26809274.
- Tsai KY, Hawk ET. When "Effective" Prevention Agents Fail to Elicit Anticipated Effects: Challenges in Trial Design. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26714773.
- Cunningham SA, Yu R, Shih YCT, Giordano S, McNeill LH, Rechis R, Peterson SK, Cinciripini PM, Foxhall LE, Hawk ET, Shete S. Perceived Cancer-related Risk and Beliefs in Texas: Findings from a 2018 Population-Level Survey. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30700446.
- Zacharias NM, Ornelas A, Lee J, Hu J, Davis J, Uddin MN, Pudakalakatti S, Menter D, Karam JA, Wood CG, Hawk E, Kopetz S, Vilar E, Bhattacharya P, Millward S. Real-Time Interrogation of Aspirin Reactivity, Biochemistry, and Biodistribution by Hyperpolarized Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30680862.
- Mackert M, Case K, Lazard A, Oh J, Wagner JH, Hawk E, Cofer J, Hurst A, Elerian N, Lakey D. Building a Health Communication Brand for University of Texas System Tobacco Control. J Am Coll Health:0. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29952736.
- Hernandez M, Hernández-Valero MA, García-Prieto C, Patterson DG, Hajek RA, Recinos I, Lopez DS, Li Y, Jones LA, Hawk E. A Pilot Study Evaluating Organochlorine and Organophosphate Pesticide Exposure in Children and Adolescents of Mexican Descent Residing in Hidalgo County, Texas. J Immigr Minor Health. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30066057.
- Golemis EA, Scheet P, Beck TN, Scolnick E, Hunter DJ, Hawk E, Hopkins N. Molecular mechanisms of the preventable causes of cancer in the United States. Genes Dev. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29945886.
- Sivakumar S, San Lucas FA, McDowell TL, Lang W, Xu L, Fujimoto J, Zhang J, Futreal PA, Fukuoka J, Yatabe Y, Dubinett SM, Spira AE, Fowler J, Hawk ET, Wistuba II, Scheet P, Kadara H. Genomic landscape of atypical adenomatous hyperplasia reveals divergent modes to lung adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28951454.
- Ornelas A, Zacharias-Millward N, Menter DG, Davis JS, Lichtenberger L, Hawke D, Hawk E, Vilar E, Bhattacharya P, Millward S. Beyond COX-1: the effects of aspirin on platelet biology and potential mechanisms of chemoprevention. Cancer Metastasis Rev. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28762014.
- Menter DG, Kopetz S, Hawk E, Sood AK, Loree JM, Gresele P, Honn KV. Platelet "first responders" in wound response, cancer, and metastasis. Cancer Metastasis Rev. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28730545.
- Hassan M, Li D, Kaseb A, Abbruzzese JL, Hassabo H, Aly M, Sahin I, Morris J, Hawk E, Spitz M. Early Obesity and Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in USA: Assessment of Environmental, Dietary, and Biological Risk Factors Impacting Liver Cancer Incidence in Texas. Society of Toxicology (SOT) Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Menter DG, Davis JS, Tucker SC, Hawk E, Crissman JD, Sood AK, Kopetz S, Honn KV. Platelets: "First Responders" in Cancer Progression and Metastasis. In: Platelets in Thrombotic and Non-Thrombotic Disorders Pathophysiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics: an Update. Springer International Publishing AG: Switzerland, 1111-1132, 2017.
|Title:||Cancer Center Support Grant|
|Role:||Member, CCSG Executive Committee/Associate Director Population Sciences; Co-Leader GI Program|
|Title:||Cancer Prevention Agent Development Program|
|Title:||Improving Cervical Cancer Screening and Prevention in the Lower Rio Grande Valley Through Public Outreach, Patient Navigation, and Telementoring|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||Genome-Wide Association Study in Hepatocellular Carcinoma (GWAS Study)|
|Role:||Co-Investigator (Year 5)|
|Title:||Integrative Analysis of Sequencing Data for Adenoma Development|
|Title:||Administrative Supplements for NCI-designated Cancer Centers to Support Population Health Assessment in Cancer Center Catchment Areas|
|Title:||The Role of Methyl Donors in Cancer Risk|
|Title:||INCan Collaborative Development of a Curriculum in Cancer Prevention and Control for the Institute Nacional de Cancerologia in Mexico|
|Funding Source:||CRDF Global|
|Title:||Aspirin-PC for Chemoprevention of Colorectal Cancer|
|Funding Source:||PLX Pharma|
|Title:||UTMDACC SPORE in Hepatocellular Carcinoma,Project 3: Non-invasive assessment of liver fibrosis stage and progression in obesity and diabetes: a Hispanic population|
|Title:||Expansion of cervical cancer prevention services to medically underserved regions using a comprehensive approach: Community outreach, patient navigation & provider training/telementoring|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||Collaborative Action Program to Reduce Liver Cancer Mortality in Texas: Collaborative Action Center|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|