About Dr. Ravandi-Kashani
Dr. Farhad Ravandi is Janiece and Stephen A. Lasher Professor of Medicine and Chief of Section of Developmental Therapeutics in the Department of Leukemia at the University of Texas – M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. He graduated from the University of London, England and undertook residency and fellowship training at the Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. During this time he specialized in the management of hematological malignancies and stem cell transplantation. He then joined the University of Illinois at Chicago as the director of leukemia program and the interim director of stem cell transplant program for three years until he joined the Leukemia department of M. D. Anderson in 2003. Dr. Ravandi is board certified in Internal Medicine, Hematology and Medical Oncology. His main areas of interests are therapy of acute myeloid leukemia, as well as rare leukemias including Philadelphia positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia, hairy cell leukemia and T-cell leukemias. He has authored several book chapters and many articles in peer-reviewed journals. He is a member of several professional societies including the American Society of Hematology, American Society of Clinical Oncology, and Society of Hematological Oncology and is a member of editorial board of several journals.
Janiece and Stephen A. Lasher, Department of Leukemia, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Chief, Section of Developmental Therapeutics, Texas University MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Leukemia, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1988||St. Mary's Hospital Medical School/Imperial College, University of London, London, GBR, MBBS, Medicine|
|1999-2000||Fellow, Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Hematology/Stem Cell Transplantation, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1997-1999||Clinical Fellowship, Hematology/Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1996-1997||Clinical Residency, Hematology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1994-1996||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, The University of Texas - Houston, Houston, TX|
|1989-1993||Senior House Officer/Registrar, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Hematology, University of London, London|
|1996||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Associate Professor, Department of Leukemia, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2003 - 2012
Assistant Professor, Department of Stem Cell Transplant, Department of Hematology/Oncology, University of Illinois, College of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 2001 - 2003
Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Hematology/Oncology, University of Illinois, College of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 2000 - 2003
Director, Leukemia/Hematologic Malignancies Program, The University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, 2000 - 2003
Member, Clinical Research Committee, Chicago, IL, 2001 - 2003
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, UT M. D. Anderson Clinical Research Committee II, 2005 - Present
- Jabbour E, Short NJ, Jorgensen JL, Yilmaz M, Ravandi F, Wang SA, Thomas DA, Khoury J, Champlin RE, Khouri I, Kebriaei P, O'Brien SM, Garcia-Manero G, Cortes JE, Sasaki K, Dinardo CD, Kadia TM, Jain N, Konopleva M, Garris R, Kantarjian HM. Differential impact of minimal residual disease negativity according to the salvage status in patients with relapsed/refractory B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer 123 (2) :294-302, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27602508.
- Benton CB, Ravandi F. Targeting acute myeloid leukemia with TP53-independent vosaroxin. Future Oncol 13 (2) :125-133, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27615555.
- Ravandi F, Jorgensen J, Borthakur G, Jabbour E, Kadia T, Pierce S, Brandt M, Wang S, Konoplev S, Wang X, Huang X, Daver N, DiNardo C, Andreeff M, Konopleva M, Estrov Z, Garcia-Manero G, Cortes J, Kantarjian H. Persistence of minimal residual disease assessed by multiparameter flow cytometry is highly prognostic in younger patients with acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer 123 (3) :426-435, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27657543.
- Ragon BK, Kantarjian H, Jabbour E, Ravandi F, Cortes J, Borthakur G, DeBose L, Zeng Z, Schneider H, Pemmaraju N, Garcia-Manero G, Kornblau S, Wierda W, Burger J, DiNardo CD, Andreeff M, Konopleva M, Daver N. Buparlisib, a PI3K Inhibitor, Demonstrates Acceptable Tolerability and Preliminary Activity in a Phase I Trial of Patients with Advanced Leukemias. Am J Hematol 92 (1) :7-11, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27673440.
- Garcia-Manero G, Montalban-Bravo G, Berdeja JG, Abaza Y, Jabbour E, Essell J, Lyons RM, Ravandi F, Maris M, Heller B, DeZern AE, Babu S, Wright D, Anz B, Boccia R, Komrokji RS, Kuriakose P, Reeves J, Sekeres MA, Kantarjian HM, Ghalie R, Roboz GJ. Phase 2, randomized, double-blind study of pracinostat in combination with azacitidine in patients with untreated, higher risk myelodysplastic syndromes. Cancer 123 (6) :994-1002, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28094841.
- Masarova L, Kantarjian H, Garcia-Mannero G, Ravandi F, Sharma P, Daver N. Harnessing the Immune System Against Leukemia: Monoclonal Antibodies and Checkpoint Strategies for AML. Adv Exp Med Biol 995:73-95, 2017. PMID: 28321813.
- Alfonso A, Montalban-Bravo G, Takahashi K, Jabbour EJ, Kadia T, Ravandi F, Cortes J, Estrov Z, Borthakur G, Pemmaraju N, Konopleva M, Bueso-Ramos C, Pierce S, Kantarjian H, Garcia-Manero G. Natural history of chronic myelomonocytic leukemia treated with hypomethylating agents. Am J Hematol 92 (7) :599-606, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28370097.
- Ravandi F, Jorgensen JL, O'Brien SM, Jabbour E, Thomas DA, Borthakur G, Garris R, Huang X, Garcia-Manero G, Burger JA, Ferrajoli A, Wierda W, Kadia T, Jain N, Wang SA, Konoplev S, Kebriaei P, Champlin RE, McCue D, Estrov Z, Cortes JE, Kantarjian HM. Minimal residual disease assessed by multi-parameter flow cytometry is highly prognostic in adult patients with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Br J Haematol 172 (3) :392-400, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26492205.
- Daver N, Ravandi F. Enhancing cytotoxicity of immunotoxins in AML. Blood 127 (23) :2787-8, 2016. PMID: 27282944.
- Kadia TM, Ravandi F, Cortes J, Kantarjian H. New drugs in acute myeloid leukemia. Ann Oncol 27 (5) :770-8, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26802152.
- Ravandi F, Ritchie EK, Sayar H, Lancet JE, Craig MD, Vey N, Strickland SA, Schiller GJ, Jabbour E, Erba HP, Pigneux A, Horst HA, Recher C, Klimek VM, Cortes J, Roboz GJ, Odenike O, Thomas X, Havelange V, Maertens J, Derigs HG, Heuser M, Damon L, Powell BL, Gaidano G, Carella AM, Wei A, Hogge D, Craig AR, Fox JA, Ward R, Smith JA, Acton G, Mehta C, Stuart RK, Kantarjian HM. Vosaroxin plus cytarabine versus placebo plus cytarabine in patients with first relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukaemia (VALOR): a randomised, controlled, double-blind, multinational, phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol 16 (9) :1025-36, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26234174.
- DiNardo CD, Ravandi F, Agresta S, Konopleva M, Takahashi K, Kadia T, Routbort M, Patel KP, Mark Brandt , Pierce S, Garcia-Manero G, Cortes J, Kantarjian H. Characteristics, clinical outcome, and prognostic significance of IDH mutations in AML. Am J Hematol 90 (8) :732-6, 2015. PMID: 26016821.
- Daver N, Cortes J, Ravandi F, Patel KP, Burger JA, Konopleva M, Kantarjian H. Secondary mutations as mediators of resistance to targeted therapy in leukemia. Blood 125 (21) :3236-45, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25795921.
- Badar T, Ravandi F. Relapsed Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Need for Innovative Treatment Strategies to Improve Outcome. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 15 Suppl:S104-8, 2015. PMID: 26297261.
- Ravandi F. Chemotherapy-free treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 13 (8) :498-500, 2015. PMID: 26351810.
- Kadia TM, Ravandi F, Cortes J, Kantarjian H. Toward Individualized Therapy in Acute Myeloid Leukemia: A Contemporary Review. JAMA Oncol 1 (6) :820-8, 2015. PMID: 26181162.
- Ravandi F, Kantarjian H. Time to abandon traditional chemotherapy for acute promyelocytic leukaemia?. Lancet Oncol 16 (13) :1274-5, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26384240.
- Ravandi F. Chemoimmunotherapy for hairy cell leukemia. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 28 (4) :230-5, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26614901.
- Ravandi F. Incorporating Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors into Treatment Regimens for AML and ALL: Is There a Right or Wrong Way?. Curr Hematol Malig Rep 9 (2) :144-7, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24633744.
- Ravandi F, Arana Yi C, Cortes JE, Levis M, Faderl S, Garcia-Manero G, Jabbour E, Konopleva M, O'Brien S, Estrov Z, Borthakur G, Thomas D, Pierce S, Brandt M, Pratz K, Luthra R, Andreeff M, Kantarjian H. Final report of phase II study of sorafenib, cytarabine and idarubicin for initial therapy in younger patients with acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia 28 (7) :1543-5, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24487412.
- Ma W, Zhang X, Jilani I, Ravandi F, Estey E, Kantarjian H, Giles F, Sheikholeslami M, Keating M, Albitar M. Detection of nucleophosmin gene mutations in plasma from patients with acute myeloid leukemia: clinical significance and implications. Cancer Biomark 110 (supp 1):840a, 2007. PMID: 19242062.
- Ravandi F, Stone R. Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia: A Perspective. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28735889.
- Kanagal-Shamanna R, Jain P, Takahashi K, Short NJ, Tang G, Issa GC, Ravandi F, Garcia-Manero G, Yin CC, Luthra R, Patel KP, Khoury JD, Montalban-Bravo G, Sasaki K, Kadia TM, Borthakur G, Konopleva M, Jain N, Garris R, Pierce S, Wierda W, Estrov Z, Cortes J, O'Brien S, Kantarjian H, Jabbour E. TP53 mutation does not confer a poor outcome in adult patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia who are treated with frontline hyper-CVAD-based regimens. Cancer. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28608976.
- Han L, Jorgensen JL, Brooks C, Shi C, Zhang Q, Nogueras González GM, Cavazos A, Pan R, Mu H, Wang SA, Zhou J, Ai-Atrash G, Ciurea SO, Rettig M, DiPersio JF, Cortes J, Huang X, Kantarjian HM, Andreeff M, Ravandi F, Konopleva M. Anti-leukemia efficacy and mechanisms of action of SL-101, a novel anti-CD123 antibody-conjugate, in acute myeloid leukemia. Clin Cancer Res. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28096272.
- Ravandi F. Therapy-related acute promyelocytic leukemia: further insights into the molecular basis of the disease and showing the way forward in therapy. Leuk Lymphoma 50 (7) :1073-4, 2009. PMID: 19557628.
- Benton,CB; Diaz -Pavon,JR; Maiti,A; Daver,NG; Ravandi,F; Jain,N; Alvarado,Y; Jabbour,E; Pierce,S; Kwari,M; Santos,MA; Martinez,S; Siguero,M; Tefferi,A; Cortes,JE Kantarjian,HM; Pardanani,AD; Garcia-Manero,G;. Phase I study of lurbinectedin (PM11083) in patients with advanced AML and MDS. J Clin Oncol 35, 2017.
|Title:||2014-0744: A Phase 1b dose-escalation study of SGN-CD33A in combination with standard-of-care for patients with newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia (AML)|
|Funding Source:||Seattle Genetics|
|Title:||2014-0858: An Open-Label Phase 2 Prospective, Randomized, Controlled Study of CLT-008 Myelodi Progenitor Cells as a Supportive Care Measure During Induction Chemotherapy for Acute Myeloid Leukemia|
|Title:||2015-0296 Phase I first-in-human study Evaluating the Safety, Tolerability Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics and Efficacy of AMG 330 Administered as Continuous Intravenous Infusion in Subjects with Relapsed/Refractory Acute Myeloid Leukemia|
|Funding Source:||Amgen, Inc|