About Dr. Lang
Frederick Lang, MD, FACS, FAANS is Professor and Director of Clinical Research in the Department of Neurosurgery at MD Anderson. He is also Adjunct Professor of Neurosurgery at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston. Dr. Lang was born in Brooklyn, NY. He received his medical degree from Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT. He completed a residency in neurosurgery at New York University Medical Center, and a fellowship in neurosurgical oncology at MD Anderson. Dr. Lang is the recipient of numerous awards and honors, including America's Top Doctors for Cancer, Guide to America's Top Surgeons, the Preuss Research Award, the Mahaley Award, the Journal of Neuro-Oncology Award, the Michael S. Voynick Award in Neuro-Oncology, the Perlman Lectureship, and the Otto Lein da Wong Lecture from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He is the Principal Investigator of the multi-disciplinary SPORE in Brain Cancer Program grant. He is a NIH-funded translational researcher who has published extensively on gene, viral and cellular therapies for brain tumors and is Principal Investigator on multiple clinical trials that investigate these new approaches. He has served on the Executive Committee of the AANS/CNS Section on Tumors and is the past Chair of this section. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Society for Neuro-Oncology (SNO), and is a past President of SNO. He is board certified in Neurosurgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Association of Neurological Surgeons. Dr. Lang is an Associate Editor of Neurosurgery and on the Editorial Board of Neuro-Oncology and Translational Oncology. He served on the Developmental Therapeutic Study Section within the NIH until his tenure ended in 2011, he has continued as an ad hoc reviewer for NIH. He is frequently requested as a national and international lecturer. He has published more than 200 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters. Dr. Lang is a leader in the field of neurosurgery with particular focus on deep seated brain tumors located in eloquent brain regions.
Professor (tenure), Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Director of Clinical Research, Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Faculty Member, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
Adjunct Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
|1988||Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1984||Yale College, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA, BS, Biology|
|1995-1996||Clinical Fellowship, Neurosurgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1993-1995||Clinical Residency, Chief Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY|
|1989-1993||Clinical Residency, Department of Neurosurgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY|
|1988-1989||Clinical Internship, General Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY|
|2000||The American Board of Neurological Surgery|
|2007||Global Directory of Who's Who|
|2004||America's Top Doctors for Cancer|
|2003||Best Doctors in America|
- Hossain MB, Shifat R, Li J, Luo X, Hess KR, Rivera-Molina Y, Puerta Martinez F, Jiang H, Lang FF, Hung MC, Fueyo J, Gomez-Manzano C. TIE2 associates with caveolae and regulates caveolin-1 to promote their nuclear translocation. Mol Cell Biol 37:pii: e00142-17, 2017. PMID: 28760776.
- Thomas JG, Parker Kerrigan BC, Hossain A, Gumin J, Shinojima N, Nwajei F, Ezhilarasan R, Love P, Sulman EP, Lang FF. Ionizing radiation augments glioma tropism of mesenchymal stem cells. J Neurosurg 31:1-9, 2017. PMID: 28362237.
- Shahar T, Rozovski U, Hess KR, Hosain A, Gumin J, Gao F, Fuller GN, Goodman L, Sulman EP, Lang FF. Percentage of mesenchymal stem cells in high-grade glioma tumor samples correlates with patient survival. Neuro Oncol 19:660-668, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28453745.
- Parker Kerrigan BC, Shimizu Y, Andreeff M, Lang FF. Mesenchymal stromal cells for the delivery of oncolytic viruses in gliomas. Cytotherapy 19:445-457, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28233640.
- Dai B, Roife D, Kang Y, Gumin J, Rios Perez MV, Li X, Pratt M, Brekken RA, Fueyo-Margareto J, Lang FF, Fleming JB. Preclinical evaluation of sequential combination of oncolytic adenovirus Delta-24-RGD and phosphatidylserine-targeting antibody in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Mol Cancer Ther 16:662-670, 2017. PMID: 28138026.
- Figueroa JM, Skog J, Akers J, Li H, Komotar R, Jensen R, Ringel F, Yang I, Kalkanis S, Thompson R, LoGuidice L, Berghoff E, Parsa A, Liau L, Curry W, Cahill D, Bettegowda C, Lang FF, Chiocca EA, Henson J, Kim R, Breakefield X, Chen C, Messer K, Hochberg F, Carter BS. Detection of wild-type EGFR amplification and EGFRvIII mutation in CSF-derived extracellular vesicles of glioblastoma patients. Neuro Oncol 19:1494-1502, 2017. PMID: 28453784.
- Ferguson S, Levine N, Suki D, Tsung A, Lang FF, Sawaya R, Weinberg JS, McCutcheon IE. The surgical treatment of tumors of the fourth ventricle: a single-institution experience. J Neurosurgery 14:1-13, 2017. PMID: 28409732.
- Zinn PO, Singh SK, Kotrotsou A, Zandi F, Thomas G, Hatami M, Luedi MM, Elakkad A, Hassan I, Gumin J, Sulman EP, Lang FF, Colen RR. Clinically applicable and biologically validated MRI radiomic test method predicts glioblastoma genomic landscape and survival. Neurosurgery *(Won the National Brain Tumor Society Mahaley Clinical Research Award when presented at the CNS 2016 meeting) 63 Suppl 1:156-157, 2016. PMID: 27399418.
- Hossain MB, Shifat R, Johnson DG, Bedford MT, Gabrusiewicz KR, Cortes-Santiago N, Luo X, Lu Z, Ezhilarasan R, Sulman EP, Jiang H, Li SS, Lang FF, Tyler J, Hung MC, Fueyo J, Gomez-Manzano C. TIE2-mediated tyrosine phosphorylation of H4 regulates DNA damage response by recruiting ABL1. Sci Adv 2:e1501290, 2016. PMID: 27757426.
- Salzillo TC, Hu J, Nguyen L, Whiting N, Lee J, Weygand J, Dutta P, Pudakalakatti S, Millward NZ, Gammon ST, Lang FF, Heimberger AB, Bhattacharya PK. Interrogating metabolism in brain cancer. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 24:687-703, 2016.
- Hossain A, Gumin J, Gao F, Figueroa J, Shinojima N, Takezaki T, Priebe W, Villarreal D, Kang SG, Joyce C, Sulman E, Wang Q, Marini FC, Andreeff M, Colman H, Lang FF. Mesenchymal stem cells isolated from human gliomas increase proliferation and maintain stemness of glioma stem cells through the IL-6/gp130/STAT3 pathway. Stem Cells 33(8):2400-15, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25966666.
- Sathyan P, Zinn P, Marisetty A, Liu B, Kamal M, Singh S, Bady P, Lu L, Wani K, Veo B, Gumin J, Kassem D, Robinson F, Weng C, Baladandayuthapani V, Suki D, Colman H, Bhat K, Sulman E, Aldape K, Colen R, Verhaak R, Lu Z, Fuller G, Huang S, Lang F, Sawaya R, Hegi M, Majumder S. Mir-21-Sox2 axis delineates glioblastoma subtypes with prognostic impact. J Neurosci 35:15097-112, 2015. PMID: 26558781.
- Jiang H, Clise-Dwyer K, Ruisaard KE, Fan X, Tian W, Gumin J, Lamfers ML, Kleijn A, Lang FF, Yung WK, Vence LM, Gomez-Manzano C, Fueyo J. Delta-24-RGD oncolytic adenovirus elicits anti-glioma immunity in an immunocompetent mouse model. PLoS One 9(5):e97407, 2014.
- Shinojima N, Hossain A, Takezaki T, Fueyo-Margareto J, Gumin J, Gao F, Nwajei F, Marini FC, Andreeff M, Kuratsu JI, Lang FF. TGF-β mediates homing of bone marrow-derived human mesenchymal stem cells to glioma stem cells. Cancer Res 73(7):2333-44, 2013. PMID: 23365134.
- Parker BC, Annala MJ, Cogdell DE, Granberg KJ, Sun Y, Ji P, Li X, Gumin J, Zheng H, Hu L, Yli-Harja O, Haapasalo H, Visakorpi T, Liu X, Liu CG, Sawaya R, Fuller GN, Chen K, Lang FF, Nykter M, Zhang W. The tumorigenic FGFR3-TACC3 gene fusion escapes miR-99a regulation in glioblastoma. J Clin Invest 123(2):855-65, 2013. PMID: 23298836.
- Doucette T, Rao G, Yang Y, Gumin J, Shinojima N, Bekele BN, Qiao W, Zhang W, Lang FF. Mesenchymal stem cells display tumor specific tropism in an RCAS/Ntv-a glioma model. Neoplasia 13(8):716-25, 2011. PMID: 21847363.
- Wu AS, Witgert ME, Lang FF, Xiao L, Bekele BN, Meyers CA, Ferson D, Wefel JS. Neurocognitive function before and after surgery for insular gliomas. J Neurosurg 115(6):1115-25, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21905800.
- Liu Y, Lang FF, Xie X, Prbhu SS, Xu J, Sampath D, Aldape K, Fuller G, Puduvalli VK. Efficacy of adenovirally expressed soluble TRAIL in human glioma organotypic slice culture and glioma xenografts. Cell Death Dis 2(1):e121, 2011. PMID: 21368892.
- Hata N, Shinojima N, Gumin J, Yong R, Marini F, Andreeff M, Lang FF. Platelet-derived growth factor BB mediates the tropism of human mesenchymal stem cells for malignant gliomas. Neurosurgery 66(1):144-156; discussion 156-157, 2010. PMID: 20023545.
- He H, Nilsson CL, Emmett MR, Marshall AG, Kroes RA, Moskal JR, Ji Y, Colman H, Priebe W, Lang FF, Conrad CA. Glycomic and transcriptomic response of GSC11 glioblastoma stem cells to STAT3 phosphorylation inhibition and serum-induced differentiation. J Proteome Res 9(5):2098-108, 2010. PMID: 20199106.
- Kang S, Shinojima N, Hossain A, Gumin J, Yong R, Colman H, Marini F, Andreeff M, Lang FF. Isolation and perivascular localization of mesenchymal stem cells from mouse brain. Neurosurgery 67(3):711-20, 2010. PMID: 20651630.
- Wu A, Aldape KD, Lang FF. High rate of deletion of chromosomes 1p and 19q in insular oligodendroglial tumors. J Neurooncol 99(1):57-64, 2010. PMID: 20035368.
- Wei J, Barr J, Kong LY, Wang Y, Wu A, Sharma AK, Gumin J, Henry V, Colman H, Priebe W, Sawaya R, Lang FF, Heimberger AB. Glioblastoma cancer-initiating cells inhibit T-cell proliferation and effector responses by the signal transducers and activators of transcription 3 pathway. Mol Cancer Ther 9(1):67-78, 2010. PMID: 20053772.
- Williams BJ, Suki D, Fox BD, Maldaun MVC, Sawaya RE, Lang FF, Rao G. Stereotactic radiosurgery for metastatic brain tumors: a comprehensive review of complications. J Neurosurg 111(3):439-448, 2009. PMID: 19301968.
- Amano T, Nakamizo A, Mishra SK, Gumin J, Shinojima N, Sawaya R, Lang FF. Simultaneous phosphorylation of p53 at serine 15 and 20 induces apoptosis in human glioma cells by increasing expression of pro-apoptotic genes. J Neurooncol 92(3):357-71, 2009. PMID: 19357962.
- Tatsui CE, Lang FF, Gumin J, Suki D, Shinojima N, Rhines LD. An orthotopic murine model of human spinal metastasis: histological and functional correlations. J Neurosurg Spine 10(6):501-512, 2009. PMID: 19558282.
- Kim SS, McCutcheon IE, Suki D, Weinberg JS, Sawaya R, Lang FF, Ferson D, Heimberger AB, DeMonte F, Prabhu SS. Awake craniotomy for brain tumors near eloquent cortex: correlation of intraoperative cortical mapping with neurological outcomes in 309 consecutive patients. Neurosurgery 64(5):836-46, 2009. PMID: 19404147.
- Yong R, Shinojima N, Fueyo J, Gumin J, Vecil GG, Marini FC, Bogler O, Andreeff M, Lang FF. Human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells for intravascular delivery of oncolytic adenovirus Delta-24-RGD to human gliomas. Cancer Res 69(23):8932-8940, 2009. PMID: 19920199.
- Toms SA, Weil RJ, Gupta A, Boulis NM, Prayson R, Lang FF. Clinical problem solving: island intruder. Neurosurgery 62(4):920-8; discussion 928-9, 2008. PMID: 18496198.
- Alonso MM, Jiang H, Yokoyama T, Xu J, Bekele NB, Lang FF, Kondo S, Gomez-Manzano C, Fueyo J. Delta-24-RGD in combination with RAD001 induces enhanced anti-glioma effect via autophagic cell death. Mol Ther 16(3):487-93, 2008. PMID: 18253154.
- Nakamizo A, Amano T, Zhang W, Zhang XQ, Ramdas L, Liu TJ, Bekele BN, Shono T, Sasaki T, Benedict WF, Sawaya R, Lang FF. Phosphorylation of Thr18 and Ser20 of p53 in Ad-p53-induced apoptosis. Neuro Oncol 10(3):275-291, 2008. PMID: 18443131.
- Gilbert MR, Lang FF. Management of patients with low-grade gliomas. Neurol Clin 25(4):1073-88, 2007. PMID: 17964026.
- Gilbert MR, Lang FF. Should patients with anaplastic oligodendroglial tumors receive adjuvant chemotherapy. Nat Clin Pract Neurol 3(1):14-5, 2007. PMID: 17205067.
- Gilbert MR, Lang FF. Anaplastic oligodendroglial tumors: a tale of two trials. J Clin Oncol 24(18):2689-90, 2006.
- Parker-Kerrigan B, Shahar T, Yamashita S, Lang FF. The role of mesenchymal stromal cells in human brain tumors. In: The Biology and Therapeutic Application of Mesenchymal Cells. John Wiley and Sons, Inc: Hoboken, NJ, Section VII: Mesenchymal Stromal Cells as Delivery Vehicles for Therapeutic Agents, Ch. 60, pg 859-872, 2017.
- Parker-Kerrigan B, Lang FF. Mesenchymal stem cell recruitment by central nervous system tumors. In: Mesenchymal Stem Cells as Stromal Modulators. 1st. Elsevier: Philadelphia, PA, 227-251, 2016.
- Siu TL, Lang FF. Surgical Management of Cerebral Metastases. In: Quinones-Hinojosa A (ed). In: Schmidek & Sweet Operative Neurosurgical Techniques: Indications, Methods, and Results. 6th Ed, Vol 1. Saunders Elsevier: Philadelphia, PA, 178-91, 2012.
- Chern JJ, Rao G, Lang FF. Medulloblastoma. In: Winn HR (ed). In: Youmans Neurological Surgery. 6th ed. 6th. Elsevier Saunders: Philadelphia, PA, 1373-82, 2011.
- Sawaya R, Bindal RK, Lang FF, Suki D. Metastatic Brain Tumors. In: Kaye AH, Laws ER, (eds). In: Brain Tumors: An Encyclopedic Approach. 3rd Edition. Elsevier Saunders: Philadelphia, PA, 864-92, 2011.
- Wu A, Lang FF. Insular Tumors. In: Mehta MP, Chang SM, Guha A, Newton HB, Vogelbaum MA (eds). In: Principles and Practice of Neuro-Oncology: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Demos Medical Publishers: New York, NY, 505-17, 2011.
- Lang FF, Chang EL, Suki D, Wildrick DM, Sawaya R. Metastatic Brain Tumors. In: Winn HR, (ed). In: Youmans Neurological Surgery, 6th Edition. 6th. Elsevier Saunders: Philadelphia, PA, 1410-25, 2011.
|Title:||Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in the treatment of human ependymomas|
|Funding Source:||Collaborative Ependymoma Research Network (CERN) Foundation|
|Title:||SPORE in Brain Cancer|
|Title:||MSCs as Natural Bio-Factories for Nanosized Exosomes Carrying STAT3 siRNA, SPORE in Brain Cancer Developmental Research Program|
|Title:||SPORE in Brain Cancer Career Development Program|
|Title:||SPORE in Brain Cancer Core A: Administrative Core|
Frederick Lang, M.D., is a leader in the field of neurosurgery, with a particular focus on deep seated brain tumors located in eloquent brain regions.
Frederick Lang, M.D., with his 2016 lab team.
The Broach Foundation for Brain Cancer Research has pledged $5 million to Dr. Lang's brain tumor research at MD Anderson.