Assistant Professor, Department of Lymphoma/Myeloma, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
The aim of our research is to improve the outcomes of patients with lymphomas, multiple myeloma and other plasma cell dyscrasias including light chain (AL) amyloidosis, as we work towards being able to prevent and cure all of these diseases. We run a robust clinical and scientific research program that is developing therapies built on our understanding of disease biology, as well as mechanisms of susceptibility and resistance to current and new therapies.
Myeloma, Amyloidosis, Lymphoma
|2012||State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2008||University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA, BS, Chemistry|
|2015-2018||Clinical Fellowship, Hematology and Medical Oncology, Stanford, Palo Alto, CA|
|2012-2015||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN|
|2015||American Board of Internal Medicine|
- Dinner S, Dunn TJ, Price E, Coutré SE, Gotlib J, Berube C, Kaufman GP , Medeiros BC, Liedtke M. A phase I, open-label, dose-escalation study of amrubicin in combination with lenalidomide and weekly dexamethasone in previously treated adults with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma. Int J Hematol 108(3):267-273, 2018. PMID: 29802551.
- Kaufman GP , Schrier SL, Lafayette RA, Arai S, Witteles RM, Liedtke M. Daratumumab yields rapid and deep hematologic responses in patients with heavily pretreated AL amyloidosis. Blood 130(7):900-902, 2017. PMID: 28615223.
- Gu JJ, Kaufman GP , Mavis C, Czuczman MS, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ. Mitotic catastrophe and cell cycle arrest are alternative cell death pathways executed by bortezomib in rituximab resistant B-cell lymphoma cells. Oncotarget 8(8):12741-12753, 2016. PMID: 28055975.
- Kaufman GP , Gertz MA, Dispenzieri A, Lacy MQ, Buadi FK, Dingli D, Hayman SR, Kapoor P, Lust JA, Russell S, Go RS, Hwa YL, Kyle RA, Rajkumar SV, Kumar SK. Impact of cytogenetic classification on outcomes following early high-dose therapy in multiple myeloma. Leukemia 30(3):633-639, 2016. PMID: 26487275.
- Kaufman GP , Dispenzieri A, Gertz MA, Lacy MQ, Buadi FK, Hayman SR, Leung N, Dingli D, Lust JA, Lin Y, Kapoor P, Go RS, Zeldenrust SR, Kyle RA, Rajkumar SV, Kumar SK. Kinetics of organ response and survival following normalization of the serum free light chain ratio in AL amyloidosis. Am J Hematol 90(3):181-186, 2015. PMID: 25388651.
- Kaufman GP , Ristow KM, Markovic SN, Porrata LF. The absolute lymphocyte/monocyte ratio recovery during ABVD treatment cycles is not significantly impacted by the use of myeloid growth factors and predicts clinical outcomes in classical Hodgkin lymphoma regardless of their use. Blood and Lymphatic Cancer: Targets and Therapy(4):39-44, 2014.
- Kaufman GP , Aksamit AJ, Klein CJ, Yi ES, Delone DR, Litzow MR. Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy: a rare infectious complication following allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT). Eur J Haematol 92(1):83-7, 2014. PMID: 24118404.
- Gu JJ, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, Kaufman GP , Czuczman NM, Mavis C, Skitzki JJ, Czuczman MS. The novel proteasome inhibitor carfilzomib induces cell cycle arrest, apoptosis and potentiates the anti-tumour activity of chemotherapy in rituximab-resistant lymphoma. Br J Haematol 162(5):657-69, 2013. PMID: 23826755.
- Eckhert E, Witteles R, Kaufman G, Lafayette R, Arai S, Schrier S, O'Shaughnessy M, Liedtke M. Grading cardiac response in AL amyloidosis: implications for relapse and survival. Br J Haematol. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30569572.
- Kaufman GP, Liedtke ML. Ask the Hematologists: Management Approach to Patients with Newly Diagnosed Cardiac Immunoglobulin Light-Chain Amyloidosis. The Hematologist – American Society of Hematology (ASH) News and Reports 13(May-June):3, 2016.
- Eckhert EK, Witteles R, Kaufman G, Lafayette R, Arai S, Schrier S, O'Shaughnessy M, Liedtke M. Graded Cardiac Response Correlates with Relapse and Survival in AL Amyloidosis. ASH 2018 132(Suppl 1):4486-4486, 2018.
- Kaufman GP, Schrier S, Witteles R, Ulloa P, Lugtu M, Arai S, O’Shaughnessy M, Lafayette R, Liedtke M. Early Light Chain Kinetics and Depth/Duration of Hematologic Responses to Daratumumab in Previously Treated Light Chain Amyloidosis. EHA 2018, 2018.
- Kaufman GP, Witteles R, Wheler M, Ulloa P, Lugtu M, Arai S, Schrier S, Lafayette R, Liedtke M.. Hematologic Responses and Cardiac Organ Improvement in Patients with Heavily Pretreated Cardiac Immunoglobulin Light Chain (AL) Amyloidosis Receiving Daratumumab. ASH 2016, 2016.
- Kaufman GP, Gertz MA, Dispenzieri A, Lacy MQ, Buadi FK, Dingli D, Hayman SR, Kapoor P, Rajkumar SV, Kumar S.. Outcomes of high, t(11;14), and standard cytogenetic risk multiple myeloma following early high dose therapy and autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation (SCT). ASCO 2015, 2015.
- Kaufman GP, Gertz MA, Dispenzieri A, Lacy MQ, Buadi FK, Dingli D, Hayman SR, Kapoor P, Rajkumar SV, Kumar S.. Adverse cytogenetics, with or without trisomies in patients undergoing high dose therapy for multiple myeloma and impact of post-transplant maintenance therapy. ASH 2014, 2014.
- Gu J, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri F, Kaufman GP , Mavis C, Czuczman MS. Bortezomib (BTZ) Inhibits p21-Dependent Senescence and Triggers Mitotic Catastrophe in Rituximab-Chemotherapy Resistant Cell Lines (RRCL). ASH 2012 120(21), 2012.
- Gu J, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri F, Kaufman GP , Mavis C, Czuczman MS.. Bortezomib (BTZ) Inhibits p21-Dependent Senescence and Triggers Mitotic Catastrophe in Rituximab-Chemotherapy Resistant Cell Lines (RRCL). ASH 2012 120(21), 2012.
- Gu J, Czuczman NM, Kaufman GP , Mavis C, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, Czuczman MS.. The novel proteasome inhibitor carfilzomib (CFZ) potentiates the anti-tumor activity of chemotherapeutic agents in rituximab-chemotherapy resistant lymphoma through inducing G2/M cell cycle arrest and cell death. ASH 2011 118(21):4970, 2011.
- Gu J, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, Kaufman GP , Mavis C, Czuczman MS.. Carfilzomib (CFZ): a novel proteasome inhibitor that induces cell cycle arrest and cell death in rituximab-chemotherapy resistant lymphoma and potentiates the anti-tumor activity of chemotherapeutic agents. ASH 2010 116(21):4908, 2010.
- Kaufman GP , Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, Mavis, C, Patil R, Czuczman MS.. Evaluation of carfilzomib to disrupt the apoptotic threshold of B-cell lympho-mas by targeting Bcl-2 family members and overcome rituximab (R) chemotherapy resistance. J Clin Oncol 28(15_suppl), 2010.