About Dr. Choi
Dr. Haesun Choi joined MD Anderson Cancer Center in 1999 as a clinical radiologist. She is specialized in body MRI and CT. Her clinical experience is focused on male and female pelvic MRI, including the prostate, uterus, cervix and rectum, liver imaging, functional MRI including dynamic contrast enhanced (DCE) - MRI, DWI and spectroscopy (MRS). She has extensive clinical experience on prostate MRI parallels with building up a highly successful prostate imaging program at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Over the last 10 years, Dr. Choi has been involved in the development and application of the non-invasive methods for liver fat and iron quatitaion and evaluation of the underlying liver fibrosis and hepatocellular carcinoma. Dr. Choi believes that as an oncologic radiologist, one of the most important contributions in research as well as clinical patient care, is provision of accurate and reliable measures of tumor response, which has lead to develop the so called "Choi Criteria".
Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Prostate Imaging Liver Imaging GIST MRS
MRI CT DCE MRI DWI MRS
|1979||Hanyang University, Seoul, KOR, MD, Medicine|
|1989-1991||Clinical Fellowship, Diagnostic Imaging (CT, US, MRI), The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1987-1989||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, University of South Alabama Medical Center, Mobile, AL|
|1984-1987||Clinical Residency, Nuclear Medicine, University of Iowa Hospitals, Iowa City, IA|
|1990||American Board of Radiology|
|1987||American Board of Nuclear Medicine|
Assistant Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1999 - 2002
NCI - NET Task Force Member, ACRIN representative to the Neuroendocrine Tumor (NET) Task Force (TF) of the Gastrointestinal Steering Committee (GISC); National Cancer Institute (NCI), Bethesda, MD, 2014 - Present
ACRIN representative, Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG), Philadelphia, PA, 2014 - Present
Imaging Committee Member, Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) Imaging Committee, San Antonio, TX, 2013 - Present
Investigator (I-52833), Cancer Therapy Investigator Program (CTEP), NCI, Bethesda, MD, 2013 - 2016
Board Member, Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors Global Strategic Advisory Board, Novartis Oncology, Basel, 2004 - Present
Core Faculty, Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors Continuing Medical Education (CME) Visiting Faculty Program, Health Science Center for CME, New York City, NY, 2004 - Present
- Atri M, Zhang Z, Marques H, Gorelick J, Harisinghani M, Sohaib A, Koh DM, Raman S, Gee M, Choi H, Landrum L, Mannel R, Chuang L, Yu JQ, McCourt CK, Gold M. Utility of preoperative ferumoxtran-10 MRI to evaluate retroperitoneal lymph node metastasis in advanced cervical cancer: results of ACRIN 6671/GOG 0233. European J Radiol Open 2:11-18, 2015. PMID: 25774381.
- Choi H, Underwood M, Boonsirikamchai P, Matin S, Troncoso P, Ma J. Technical challenges in 3 T magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging of the prostate-A single-institution experience. Quant Imaging Med Surg 4(4):251-8, 2014. PMID: 25202660.
- Rauch GM, Kaur H, Choi H, Ernst RD, Klopp AH, Boonsirikamchai P, Westin SN, Marcal LP. Optimization of MR imaging for pretreatment evaluation of patients with endometrial and cervical cancer. Radiographics 34(4):1082-98, 2014. PMID: 25019443.
- Peungjesada S, Aloia TA, Kaur H, Marcal L, Choi H, Vauthey JN, Loyer EM. Intrabiliary growth of colorectal liver metastasis: spectrum of imaging findings and implications for surgical management. AJR Am J Roentgenol 201(4):W582-9, 2013. PMID: 24059396.
- Boonsirikamchai P, Choi S, Frank SJ, Ma J, Elsayes KM, Kaur H, Choi H. MR imaging of prostate cancer in radiation oncology: what radiologists need to know. Radiographics 33(3):741-61, 2013. PMID: 23674772.
- Peungjesada S, Chuang HH, Prasad SR, Choi H, Loyer EM, Bronstein Y. Evaluation of cancer treatment in the abdomen: trends and advances. World J Radiol 5(3):126-42, 2013. PMID: 23671749.
- Kaur H, Choi H, You YN, Rauch GM, Jensen CT, Hou P, Chang GJ, Skibber JM, Ernst RD. MR imaging for preoperative evaluation of primary rectal cancer: practical considerations. Radiographics 32(2):389-409, 2012. PMID: 22411939.
- Boonsirikamchai P, Kaur H, Kuban DA, Jackson E, Hou P, Choi H. Use of maximum slope images generated from dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging to detect locally recurrent prostate carcinoma following prostatectomy - a practical approach. AJR Am J Roentgenol 198(3):W228-236, 2012. PMID: 22358019.
- Hou P, Popat UR, Lindsay RJ, Jackson EF, Choi H. A practical approach for a wide range of liver iron quantitation using a magnetic resonance imaging technique. Radiol Res Pract 2012:207391, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23365743.
- Choi H. Imaging modalities of gastrointestinal stromal tumors. J Surg Oncol 104(8):907-914, 2011. PMID: 22069176.
- Weinreb J C, Blume D, Coakley F V, Wheeler T M, Cormack J B, Sotto C K, Choi H, Kawashima A, Tempany-Afdahl C M, Macura K J, Rosen M, Gerst S R, Kurhanewicz J. Prostate cancer: sextant localization at MR imaging and MR spectroscopic imaging before prostatectomy--results of ACRIN prospective multi-institutional clinicopathologic study. Radiology 251(1):122-133, 2009.
- Choi H. Response evaluation of gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Oncologist 13 Suppl 2:4-7, 2008. PMID: 18434631.
- Choi H, Charnsangavej C, Faria SC, Macapinlac HA, Burgess MA, Patel SR, Chen LL, Podoloff DA, Benjamin RS. Correlation of computed tomography (CT) and positron emission tomography (PET) in patients with metastatic GIST treated at a single institution with imatinib mesylate: proposal of new CT response criteria. J Clin Oncol 25(13):1753-1759, 2007. PMID: 17470865.
- Benjamin RS, Choi H, Macapinlac HA, Burgess MA, Patel SR, Chen LL, Podoloff DA, Charnsangavej C. We should desist using RECIST, at least in GIST. J Clin Oncol 25(13):1760-1764, 2007. PMID: 17470866.
- Son JB, Shin S, Noeske R, Bayram E, Ma J, Choi H. Prostate MRSI with reduced acquisition time and improved multichannel spectral processing. Proceedings of the ISMRM 24th Annual Meeting and Exhibition, 2016.
|Title:||Validation study of magnetic resonance elastrography and 2-point dixon MR imaging techniques in diffuse liver disease|
|Funding Source:||Diagnostic Imaging, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|Title:||Evaluation of Synthetic MRI Sequence in Body Imaging|
|Funding Source:||GE Health Care|
|Title:||Repeatability Assessment of Quantitative DCE‐MRI and DWI: A Multicenter Study of Functional Imaging Standardization in the Prostate|
|Title:||Development of Optimized 3T MRSI of Prostate withouth Use of an Endorectal Coil|
|Funding Source:||GE Healthcare|
|Title:||3T perfluorocarbon-filled endorectal magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging of prostate carcinoma|
|Funding Source:||Department of Defense (DOD)|