Associate Professor, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Attending Physician, Harris Health System, Lyndon B. Johnson General Hospital, Houston, TX
Center Medical Director, MD Anderson Cancer Center Oncology Program at LBJ Hospital, Houston, TX
|2002||University of California, San Diego (UCSD), La Jolla, CA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1998||University of California, (UCI), Irvine, CA, USA, BS, Biological Sciences|
|2006-2009||Clinical Fellowship, Hematology/Oncology, New York University (NYU) School of Medicine, New York, NY|
|2005-2006||Research Fellowship, Neuro-Oncology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD|
|2002-2005||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, St Mary's Medical Center, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, CA|
|2009||American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM); Hematology/Medical Oncology|
|2005||American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM)|
Chief of Service, MD Anderson Cancer Center Oncology Program at LBJ Hospital, Houston, TX, 2017 - 2020
Assistant Professor, Department of General Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2016 - 2019
|2019||President's Recognition of Faculty Excellence Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||Faculty of the Year in Medical Oncology, NYU, NYU School of Medicine|
|2006||Fellow of the Year in Hematology, NYU School of Medicine|
|1998||Community Service Scholarship, University of California, San Diego (UCSD)|
|1998||Parowski Scholarship, University of California, San Diego (UCSD)|
|1998||Medellas Scholarship, University of California, Irvine|
|1998||Jayne Unzelman Memorial Scholarship for academic excellence and service, University of California, Irvine|
|1998||Graduated magna cum laude, Biological Sciences B.S. Program, UCI|
|1996||Phi Beta Kappa|
|1994||Regents' Scholarship, The University of California|
|1994||Dean's Honor List School of Biological Sciences, University of California, Irvine|
- Chung C, Ma H. Driving Toward Precision Medicine for Acute Leukemias: Are We There Yet?. Pharmacotherapy 37(9):1052-1072, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28654205.
- Ma HY, Smeltz R, Schindewolf J, Empalmado M, Cohen SE. Medical repatriation at end of life: Barriers, facilitation, and fulfillment-A case-series study at a New York public hospital. J Clin Oncol 32(31_suppl):141, 2014. PMID: 28142709.
- Deng J, Wang DX, Deng W, Li CY, Tong J, Ma H. Regulation of alveolar fluid clearance and ENaC expression in lung by exogenous angiotensin II. Respir Physiol Neurobiol 181(1):53-61, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22138610.
- Valderrama D, Orsini J, Mainardi C, Ma H. Cerebrovascular Disease as Initial Clinical Presentation in a Patient With Idiopathic Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: A Case Report. Journal of Hematology 1(1):23-27, 2012.
- Deng W, Yu M, Ma H, Hu LA, Chen G, Wang Y, Deng J, Li C, Tong J, Wang DX. Predictors and outcome of patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome caused by miliary tuberculosis: a retrospective study in Chongqing, China. BMC Infect Dis 12:121, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22607610.
- Lee J, Son MJ, Woolard K, Donin NM, Li A, Cheng CH, Kotliarova S, Kotliarov Y, Walling J, Ahn S, Kim M, Totonchy M, Cusack T, Ene C, Ma H, Su Q, Zenklusen JC, Zhang W, Maric D, Fine HA. Epigenetic-mediated dysfunction of the bone morphogenetic protein pathway inhibits differentiation of glioblastoma-initiating cells. Cancer Cell 13(1):69-80, 2008. PMID: 18167341.
- Fine HA, Kim L, Albert PS, Duic JP, Ma H, Zhang W, Tohnya T, Figg WD, Royce C. A phase I trial of lenalidomide in patients with recurrent primary central nervous system tumors. Clin Cancer Res 13(23):7101-6, 2007. PMID: 18056189.
- Sommer JM, Ma H, Wang CC. Cloning, expression and characterization of an unusual guanine phosphoribosyltransferase from Giardia lamblia. Mol Biochem Parasitol 78(1-2):185-93, 1996. PMID: 8813688.
- Nusrat M, Parkes AM, Hu B, Farhat D, Rieber AG, Ma HY. Journal of Clinical Oncology. Standardizing Opioid Prescribing Practices for Cancer-related Pain Via a Novel Interactive Documentation Template at a Public Hospital 35(31):253, 2017.
- Rangel M, Ma H, Basen-Engquist K. Disparities in completion of physical activity program for sedentary breast cancer survivors. 41st annual meeting of the American Society of Preventive Oncology, 2017.
- Ma H, Rangel M, Basen-Engquist K. The effect of race/ethnicity and insurance status on physical functioning and quality of life (QoL) outcomes after a structured program to increase physical activity in breast cancer survivors. Fifth State of the Science Cancer Survivorship Research Symposium, 2017.
- Seetharamu N, Ma HY, Smeltz R, Schindewolf J, Empalmado M, Cohen SE. Medical repatriation at end of life: Barriers, facilitation, and fulfillment – A case-series study at a New York public hospital. 2014 ASCO Palliative Care in Oncology Symposium, 2014.
- Mo L, Deng FM, Chachoua A, Huang WC, Ma HY, Lopez H, Huang C, Wu XR. Novel Role of X-linked Inhibitor of Apoptosis Protein (XIAP) in Bladder Cancer Cell Invasion and Prediction of Disease Progression. Journal of Clinical Oncology 32(15), 2014.
- Cabandugama P, Helm T, Ma H, Seetharamu N. Lenalidomide-induced immune hemolytic anemia: a rare complication of a commonly used myeloma treatment, 2014.
- Yuan Y, Ma H, Cohen DJ, Ryan T, Choi H, Love E, Awad M, Khambata-Ford S, Mauro D, Hochster H. Activity and tolerance of biweekly CapeOx-cetuximab in 1st line therapy of metastatic colorectal cancer: Relation to K-ras mutation status. ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2009.
- Ma HY, Newman E, Ryan T, Miller G, Sarpel U, Pachter HL, Cohen DJ, Choi H, Goldberg JD, Hochster HS. Neoadjuvant therapy of gastric cancer with cetuximab added to both irinotecan and cisplatin, followed by surgical resection and adjuvant chemoradiation. ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2009.
- Cohen D, Ma H, Yuan Y, Hochman T, Hochster HS. Biweekly cetuximab, oxaliplatin, and capecitabine in first line therapy of metastatic colorectal cancer: Preliminary results on toxicity and K-ras status. ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2008.