Present Title & Affiliation
NG and Helen T Hawkins Distinguished Professor (with tenure) and Deputy Division Head for Research, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine - Research, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Pamela and Wayne Garrison Distinguished Chair in Cancer Research, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Graduate Faculty Member, Program in Neuroscience, Program in Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Science, Houston, TX
Cellular and molecular mechanisms of pain transduction and transmission; circuitry and plasticity of the spinal dorsal horn associated with chronic neuropathic pain. Regulation of excitatory and inhibitory synaptic transmision in the spinal cord, brainstem and hypothalamus. Visceral pain and sensory innervation of visceral organs. Integrative control of central sympathetic drive in hypertension. Signaling transduction mechanisms involved in opioid tolerance and G protein-coupled receptors. Regulation of voltage-and ligand-gated ion channels in primary sensory neurons and spinal dorsal horn neurons.
Education & Training
|1991||Tongji Medical University, Wuhan, CHN, PHD, Pathophysiology|
|1988||Tongji Medical University, Wuhan, CHN, MS, Neurobiology|
|1982||Qingdao Medical College, Qingdao, CHN, MD, Medicine|
|1991-1994||Postdoctoral Fellow, Cardiovascular and Neurophysiology, University of California, Davis, CA|
Experience & Service
Director, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Center for Neuroscience and Pain Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - Present
Schumpert Medical Center Endowed Chair and Vice Chairman for Research, Department of Neurosurgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, (declined), Shreveport, LA, 2005 - 2005
Professor, Department of Behavioral Science, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA, 2003 - 2006
Julien F. Biebuyck Professor (with tenure) and Director of Basic Research in Anesthesiology, Department of Anesthesiology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA, 2003 - 2006
Associate Professor and Director of Basic Research in Anesthesiology, Department of Departments of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine - Research and Neuroscience & Anatomy, Division of Basic Science Research, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA, 2000 - 2003
Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Physiology & Pharmacology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC, 1996 - 2000
Instructor, Beth-Israel Hospital, Harvard Medical School, (declined), Boston, MA, 1996 - 1996
Assistant Research Physiologist, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of California School of Medicine, Davis, CA, 1994 - 1996
Attending Physician, Department of Internal Medicine, Xinwen Central Hospital, Shandong, 1982 - 1985
Deputy Division Head for Research, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine - Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - Present
NG and Helen T Hawkins, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine - Research, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2023
Julien F. Biebuyck, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA, 2003 - 2006
- Qiao X, Zhou JJ, Li DP, Pan HL. Src Kinases Regulate Glutamatergic Input to Hypothalamic Presympathetic Neurons and Sympathetic Vasomotor Tone in Hypertension. Hypertension 69(1):154-162, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27802416.
- Wu CH, Yuan XC, Gao F, Li HP, Cao J, Liu YS, Yu W, Tian B, Meng XF, Shi J, Pan HL, Li M. Netrin-1 Contributes to Myelinated Afferent Fiber Sprouting and Neuropathic Pain. Mol Neurobiol 53(8):5640-51, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26482371.
- Xie JD, Chen SR, Chen H, Zeng WA, Pan HL. Presynaptic N-Methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) Receptor Activity Is Increased Through Protein Kinase C in Paclitaxel-induced Neuropathic Pain. J Biol Chem 291(37):19364-73, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27458019.
- Gao F, Zhang LH, Su TF, Li L, Zhou R, Peng M, Wu CH, Yuan XC, Sun N, Meng XF, Tian B, Shi J, Pan HL, Li M. Signaling Mechanism of Cannabinoid Receptor-2 Activation-Induced β-Endorphin Release. Mol Neurobiol 53(6):3616-25, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26108183.
- Klein SM, Vykoukal J, Li DP, Pan HL, Zeitler K, Alt E, Geis S, Felthaus O, Prantl L. Peripheral Motor and Sensory Nerve Conduction following Transplantation of Undifferentiated Autologous Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells in a Biodegradable U.S. Food and Drug Administration-Approved Nerve Conduit. Plast Reconstr Surg 138(1):132-9, 2016. PMID: 27348645.
- Li L, Chen SR, Chen H, Wen L, Hittelman WN, Xie JD, Pan HL. Chloride Homeostasis Critically Regulates Synaptic NMDA Receptor Activity in Neuropathic Pain. Cell Rep 15(7):1376-83, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27160909.
- Zhu Y, Chen SR, Pan HL. Muscarinic receptor subtypes differentially control synaptic input and excitability of cerebellum-projecting medial vestibular nucleus neurons. J Neurochem 137(2):226-39, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26823384.
- Laumet G, Garriga J, Chen SR, Zhang Y, Li DP, Smith TM, Dong Y, Jelinek J, Cesaroni M, Issa JP, Pan HL. G9a is essential for epigenetic silencing of K(+) channel genes in acute-to-chronic pain transition. Nat Neurosci 18(12):1746-55, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26551542.
- Zhou MH, Bavencoffe A, Pan HL. Molecular Basis of Regulating High Voltage-Activated Calcium Channels by S-Nitrosylation. J Biol Chem 290(51):30616-23, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26507659.
- Li DP, Zhou JJ, Pan HL. Endogenous casein kinase-1 modulates NMDA receptor activity of hypothalamic presympathetic neurons and sympathetic outflow in hypertension. J Physiol 593(19):4439-52, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26174743.
- Xu SG, Mao ZG, Liu BS, Zhu HH, Pan HL. Evaluating the use of antibiotic prophylaxis during open reduction and internal fixation surgery in patients at low risk of surgical site infection. Injury S0020-1383(14):00356-8, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25152430.
- Ye ZY, Li DP, Li L, Pan HL. Protein kinase CK2 increases glutamatergic input in the hypothalamus and sympathetic vasomotor tone in hypertension. J Neurosci 31(22):8271-9, 2011. PMID: 21632948.
- Chen SR, Chen H, Yuan WX, Pan HL. Increased presynaptic and postsynaptic a2-adrenoceptor activity in the spinal dorsal horn in painful diabetic neuropathy. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 337(1):285-92, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21248068.
- Zhou HY, Chen SR, Chen H, Pan HL. Functional Plasticity of Group II Metabotropic Glutamate Receptors in Regulating Spinal Excitatory and Inhibitory Synaptic Input in Neuropathic Pain. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 336(1):254-64, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20923868.
- Zhang J, Chen L, Su T, Cao F, Meng X, Pei L, Shi J, Pan HL, Li M. Electroacupuncture Increases CB2 Receptor Expression on Keratinocytes and Infiltrating Inflammatory Cells in Inflamed Skin Tissues of Rats. J Pain 11(12):1250-1258, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20627823.
- Chen SR, Chen H, Yuan WX, Wess J, Pan HL. Dynamic control of glutamatergic synaptic input in the spinal cord by muscarinic receptor subtypes defined using knockout mice. J Biol Chem 285(52):40427-37, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20940295.
- Li DP, Pan HL. Role of GABAB receptors in autonomic control of systemic blood pressure. Adv Pharmacol 58:257-86, 2010. PMID: 20655486.
- Chen SR, Cai YQ, Pan HL. Plasticity and emerging role of BKCa channels in nociceptive control in neuropathic pain. J Neurochem 110(1):352-62, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19457113.
- Zhou HY, Chen SR, Pan HL. Targeting N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors for treatment of neuropathic pain. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol 4(3):379-388, 2011. PMID: 21686074.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||REST- Mediated Regulation of Opioid Receptors in Chronic Pain Mouse Models|