About Dr. Chen
I am a board-certified pathologist specialized in Molecular Genetics Pathology and Breast Pathology. My research interest is to study actionable genetic alterations in advanced solid tumors and their predications for therapeutic intervention. I work with molecular diagnostic laboratory, breast pathology, and cytogenetics teams on various quality improvement projects to improve the overall performance of immunohistochemistry and genotype platforms including next-generation sequencing for clinical molecular diagnostics. I participate in multiple clinical test development/validations of biomarker testing for solid tumors. I am co-medical director of Clinical Trial Operation to oversee test validation and customized tests of novel biomarkers for clinical trials at MD Anderson and nationwide. The accurate interpretation of biomarkers in cases with borderline and conflicting results can be extremely challenging. I am interested in improving the interpretation accuracy of biomarkers i.e. ER, PR, HER2, PTEN, and MET in cases with borderline and conflicting results using alternative test platform to guide treatment decision for personalized cancer therapy.
Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2001||Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA, PHD, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology|
|1994||Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, CHN, MD, Medicine|
|2012-2013||Clinical Fellowship, Molecular Genetic Pathology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY|
|2011-2012||Clinical Fellowship, Oncologic Surgical Pathology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY|
|2007-2011||Clinical Residency, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH|
|2005-2006||Research Fellowship, Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD|
|2001-2005||Research Fellowship, Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD|
|2014||American Board of Pathology, Molecular Genetic Pathology|
|2012||American Board of Pathology, Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - 2019
|2003||American Heart Association research award|
- Goswami RS, Luthra R, Singh RR, Patel KP, Routbort MJ, Aldape KD, Yao H, Dang HD, Barkoh BA, Manekia J, Medeiros LJ, Roy-Chowdhuri S, Stewart J, Broaddus RR, Chen H.. Identification of Factors Affecting the Success of Next-Generation Sequencing Testing in Solid Tumors. American journal of clinical pathology 145(2):222-237, 2016. PMID: 27124905.
- Roy-Chowdhuri S, Goswami RS, Chen H, Patel KP, Routbort MJ, Singh RR, Broaddus RR, Barkoh BA, Manekia J, Yao H, Medeiros LJ, Staerkel G, Luthra R, Stewart J. Factors Affecting the Success of Next-Generation Sequencing in Cytology Specimens. Cancer Cytopathol 123(11):659-668, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26230354.
- Chen H, Lefferts JA, Schwab MC, Tsongalis GJ, Suriawinata AA.. Correlation of polypoid colorectal adenocarcinoma with preexisting adenomatous polyps and KRAS mutation. Cancer genetics(204(5)):245-251, 2011.
- Chen H, Gonzalez J, Brennick J, Liu M, Yan S.. Immunohistochemical patterns of ProExC in vulvar squamous lesions – Detection of overexpression of MCM2 and TOP2A. American journal of surgical pathology(34(9)):1250-1257, 2010.
- Chen H, Choudhury DM, Craig SW. Coincidence of actin filaments and talin is required to activate vinculin. The Journal of biological chemistry(281(52)):40389-40398, 2006.
- Chen H, Cohen DM, Choudhury DM, Kioka N, Craig SW.. Spatial distribution and functional significance of activated vinculin in living cells. The Journal of cell biology(169(3)):459-470, 2005.
- Chen H, Bernstein BW, Sneider JM, Boyle JA, Minamide LS, Bamburg JR.. In vitro activity differences between proteins of the ADF/cofilin family define two distinct subgroups. Biochemistry(43):7127-7142, 2004.
- Chen H, Luthra R, Goswami R, Singh, R, Roy-Chowdhuri S. Analysis of Pre-analytic Factors Affecting the Success of Clinical Next-Generation Sequencing of Solid Organ Malignancies. Cancers (Basel) 7(3):1699-1715, 2015. PMID: 26343728.
- Chen H, Singh R, Huo L, Lu X, Bousamra A, Abraham R, Mehrotra M, Mishra BM, Virani S, Chowdhuri SR, Routbort M, Aldape K, Broaddus R, Sahin A, Patel K, Luthra R. FGFR1 and EGFR Amplification in Breast Cancer. Modern Pathology 28(Suppl 2):38A, 2015.
- Chen H, Luthra R, Routbort M, Patel K, Singh R, Dang H, Barkoh B, Cabanillas M, Aldape K, Broaddus R, Williams M. Mutation Profile of Advance Thyroid Carcinomas by Next Generation Sequencing: The MDACC Experience. Modern Pathology 28(Suppl 2):322A, 2015.
- Chen H, Broaddus R, Huo L, Zhang M, Guo C, Robinson M, Trivedi S, Fernandez R, Navai N, Lu X. Examination of HER2 overexpression and amplification in urothelial carcinoma with micropapillary features using ASCO/CAP 2013 guideline. J Mol Diagn 16(6):784, 2014.
|Title:||American Heart Association postdoctoral research grant|
|Funding Source:||American Heart Association|