Professor, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, Section of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1995||Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA, PhD, Immunology and Microbiology|
|1988||Beijing Medical University, Beijing, CHN, MD, Medicine|
|2002-2005||Clinical Fellowship, Immunology, Allergy and Rheumatology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1999-2002||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine Internship and Residency, Austin Medical Educational Programs, Austin, TX|
|1996-1999||Research Fellowship, Department of Human and Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1995-1996||Research Fellowship, Leukocyte Biology, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|2006||American Board of Allergy & Immunology|
|2005||American Board of Rheumatology|
|2002||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Associate Professor, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, Section of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2018
Assistant Professor, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, Section of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2012
Site Director, Resident Rheumatology Rotation, Baylor/MDA Internal Medicine Residency Program, Houston, TX, 2016 - Present
Member, Program Evaluation Committee, Baylor/MDA Rheumatology Joint Fellowship, Houston, 2015 - Present
Chair, Institutional Chemotherapy Hypersensitivity Reaction Algorithm Task Force, Houston, 2014 - Present
Co-Director, Multidisciplinary Bone Health Program Clinic, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Coordinator, Department of General Internal Medicine, Fellow Education, Joint Baylor/MD Anderson Rheumatology Fellowship, Houston, TX, 2010 - Present
Course Chair, Joint Baylor/MD Anderson Rheumatology Fellowship, Multidisciplinary "Radiology/Rheumatology" 2-year curriculum, Houston, TX, 2010 - Present
Co-Chair, Multidisciplinary Bone Health Center Steering Committee, Houston, TX, 2009 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Cancer Survivorship Research Advisory Committee, 2016 - 2020
Member, CME Advisory Committee, 2015 - 2020
Member, Division of Internal Medicine Grand Rounds Planning Committee, 2014 - Present
Member, Institutional Chemotherapy/Biotherapy Policy Task Force, 2011 - 2020
Member, Pharmacy & Therapeutic Committee, 2010 - 2022
Elected Member, Credentials Committee of the Medical Staff (CCMS), 2010 - 2013
Member at Large, Medical Records Committee, 2006 - 2010
Rheumatology Consultant, Memorial-Hermann Hospital, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2008
Rheumatology Consultant, Harris County LBJ Hospital, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2009
|2018||The 14th Annual Chamberlain Mentor Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2016||Fellow, American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology|
|2014||Conquer Cancer Foundation merit award for outstanding abstract, ASCO|
|2014||Rolanette and Berdon Lawrence Bone Disease Research Award, Texas Bone Program|
|2014||Cancer Survivorship Research Seed Award|
|2014||Webster Jee Young Investigator Award for Clinical Research, 7th International Conference on Osteoporosis and Bone Research|
|2012||James S. and Suzanne Cyrus Scholar Award for Clinical Research, Division of Internal Medicine Research Retreat|
|2011||Best Poster Presentation, Second Place, Rolanette and Berdon Lawrence Bone Disease Program Annual Scientific Retreat|
|2007||Silver Award of Best Abstract, 5th International Conference on Bone & Mineral Research|
|2005||Research Fellowship Award, GlaxoSmithKline|
|2005||NIH Institutional National Research Service Award, NIH|
|2004||Travel Award, American College of Rheumatology|
|2002||Clinical Fellowship of the Future Award, American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology Pfizer/UCB Pharma|
|1996||National Individual Service Award, National Institute of Heart Lung and Blood|
- Lu H, Pundole X, Lee HC. The role of bone modifying agents in myeloma bone disease. JBMR Plus https://doi.org/10.1002/jbm4.10518(8):e10518, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34368608.
- Lu H, Lei X, Zhao H, Elting L, Siricilla M, Ursani MA, Giordano SH, Suarez-Almazor M. Bone Mineral Density at the Time of Initiating Aromatase Inhibitor Therapy is Associated with Decreased Fractures in Women with Breast Cancer. J Bone Miner Res 36(5):861-871, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33484602.
- Messer A, Drozd B, Glitza IC, Lu H, Patel AB. Dermatomyositis associated with nivolumab therapy for melanoma: a case report and review of the literature. Dermatol Online J 26(8), 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32941716.
- Mamlouk O, Selamet U, Machado S, Abdelrahim M, Glass WF, Tchakarov A, Gaber L, Lahoti A, Workeneh B, Chen S, Lin J, Abdel-Wahab N, Tayar J, Lu H, Suarez-Almazor M, Tannir N, Yee C, Diab A, Abudayyeh A. Nephrotoxicity of immune checkpoint inhibitors beyond tubulointerstitial nephritis: single-center experience. J Immunother Cancer(2019 Jan 6;7(1):2. doi: 10.1186/s40425-018-0478-8):2, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30612580.
- des Bordes JKA, Suarez-Almazor ME, Volk RJ, Lu H, Edwards B, Lopez-Olivo MA. Online Educational Tool to Promote Bone Health in Cancer Survivors. J Health Commun 22(10):808-817, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28922062.
- Lu, H, Marengo MF, Suarez-Almazor ME. Rare case of septic arthritis caused by Candida Krusei: a case report and review of the literature. J Rheumatol 39(6):1308-9, 2012.
- Yang T, Mendoza-Londono R, Lu H, Tao J, Li K, Keller B, Jiang MM, Shah R, Chen Y, Bertin TK, Engin F, Dabovic B, Rifkin DB, Hicks J, Jamrich M, Beaudet AL, Lee B.. E-selectin lignad-1 regulates growth plate homeostasis in mice by inhibiting the intracellular processing and secretion of mature TGF-beta. J Clin Invest 7(120):2474-85, 2010.
- Lu H, Hu MI, Gagel RF.. Cancer therapies and bone health. Curr Rheumatology Rep 12(3):177-85, 2010.
- Santos FP, Konoplev SN, Lu H, Vertovsek S.. Primary autoimmune myelofibrosis in a 36-year-old patient presenting with isolated extreme anemia. Leuk Res 1(34), 2010.
- Cabanillas M, Lu H, Fang S, Du XL. Elderly patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma who receive chemotherapy are at higher risk for osteoporosis and fractures. Leuk Lymphoma 48(8):1514-21, 2007.
- Berrios-Rivera JP, Lu H, Fang S, Cabanillas ME, Cabanillas F, Hu H, Du XL. Variations in chemotherapy and radiation therapy in a large nationwide and community-based cohort of elderly patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Am J Clin Oncol 30(2):163-71, 2007.
- Yang Y, Xiong Z, Zhang S, Yan Y, Nguyen J, Ng B, Lu, H, Yang X. Bcl-nl inhibits T-cell apoptosis induced by expression of SARS coronavirus E protein in the absence of growth factors, 2005.
- Lu H, Huston DP. Clinical Trial Reports on Immunodeficiency. Current Allergy Asthma Reports 3(5):375-377, 2003.
- Lee S-H, Prince JE, Rais M, Kheradmand F, Shardonofsky F, Lu H, Smith W, Soong L. Differential requirements for CD18 in T helper effector homing. Nat Med 9(10):1281-1286, 2003.
- Lu H, Youker K, Entman ML, Ballantyne C, Smith CW. Hydrogen peroxide induces LFA-1-dependent neutrophil adhesion to cardiac myocytes. Am J Physiology 278(3):H835-42, 2000.
- Lu H, Ballantyne C, Smith CW. LFA-1 (CD11/CD18) triggers hydrogen peroxide production by canine neutrophils. J Leuk Biol 68:73-80, 2000.
- Forlow SB, White EJ, Barlow SC, Feldman SH, Lu H, Bagby GJ, Beaudet AL. Severe inflammatory defect and reduced viability in CD18 and E-selectin double mutant mice. J Clin Invest 106(12):1457-1466, 2000.
- Scharffeter K, Lu H, Norman K, van Nood N, Munoz F, Grabbe S, McArthur M, Kaplan S, Ley K, Smith CW, Montgomery CA, Rich S, Beaudet AL. Spontaneous skin ulceration and defective T cell function in CD18 null mice. J Exp Med 188:119-131, 1998.
- Lu H, Smith CW, Perrard JL, Bullard D, Tan L, Shappell SB, Entman ML, Beaudet AL, Ballantyne CM. LFA-1 is sufficient in mediating neutrophil emigration in Mac-1 deficient mice. J Clin Invest 99:1340-1350, 1997.
- Gopalan PK, Smith CW, Lu H, Berg EL, McIntire LB, Simon SI. Neutrophil CD18-dependent arrest on intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) in shear flow can be activated through L-selectin. J Immunol 158:367-375, 1997.
- Burns AR, Simon SI, Kukielka GL, Rowen JL, Lu H, Mendoza LH, Brown ES, Entman ML, Smith CW. Chemotactic factors stimulate CD18-dependent canine neutrophil adherence and motility on lung fibroblasts. J Immunol 156:3389-3401, 1996.
- Manning AM, Lu H, Kukielka GL, Oliver MG, Toman CA, Krater S, Drong RF, Slightom JL, Ballantyne CM, Entman ML, Smith CW, Anderson DC. Molecular cloning and comparative sequence analysis of canine ICAM-1. Gene 24:102-120, 1996.
- Stevens AM, Wang Y-y, Sieger KA, Lu H, Yu-Lee L-y. Biphasic transcriptional regulation of the interferon regulatory factor-1 gene by prolactin: involvement of gamma-interferon-activated sequence and Stat-related proteins. Mol. Endocrinol 9:513-525, 1995.
- Lu, H, Foreman, JF, Ahmed, S, Torres, H, Lok, A, Ferrajoli, A, Hwang J. Passive Transfer of Hepatitis B Core Antibody after Intravenous Immunoglobulin Administration in Patients with Cancer: Retrospective Chart Review. The Lancet Haematology(5(10):e474-e478. doi: 10.1016/S2352-3026(18)30152-2):e474-e478. e-Pub 2018.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Lu H. Teaching Manual: How to Order Laboratory Tests for Autoimmune Disease, 2011.
- Lu H. Teaching Manuel: Bone Health Evaluation and Treatment Algorithm, 2011.
- Lu H and Hu M et al. Patient education handouts on Osteoporosis, Bone Health, Calcium Supplementation, Reclast, and Prolia, 2010.
- Lu H, Hu M, Gagel RF. Bone Health Video and Brochure, 2010. Awarded with Silver Medal by the National Health Information Awards, 2010.
- Lu H. Rheumatology Consult at MD Anderson - Orientation: A How To Manuel, 2007.
- Lu, H and Hu, M et al:. Patient education handouts on Osteoporosis, Bone Health, Calcium Supplementation, Reclast, and Prolia.
- Qiuling, S, Sharon, G. Huifang, L, Charles, C. Development of anastrozole-associated joint pain and other symptoms in patients with breast cancer, 2012.
- Lu H, Varma A, Popat U, Champlin RE, and Gagel RF. Risk factor for low bone mass in patients with hematological disorders/malignancies during early allogeneic stem cell transplant period. Rolantte and Berdon Lawrence Bone Disease Program Annual Scientific Retreat, 2011.
- Shi Q, Giordano S, Lu H, Cleeland C.. Longitudinal change of pain and other symptoms in breast cancer patients with anastrozole treatment. The 33rd Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, TX, 2010.
- Lu H, Murphy W. De Quarvein tendinits associated with the use of aromatase inhibitor. Medical Issues in Cancer Survivors, Houston, TX, 2009.
- Lu H, Cabanillas M, Fang S, DU XL.. Elderly patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma who receive chemotherapy are at higher risk for osteoporosis and fractures. The 5th International Conference in Bone and Mineral Research & The 7th International Osteoporosis Symposium, Urumqi-Xinjiang, China, 2007.
- Lu H. Chemotherapy is associated with increased risk of osteoporosis and fracture in elderly patients. The Bone Disease Program of Texas, 5th Annual Scientific Retreat, Houston, TX, 2007.
- Lu H, Huston DP, Liu Y. Schistosoma mansoni soluble egg antigen induces TSLP production by fibroblasts. GSK Fellow Symposium, San diego, CA, 2005.
- Lu H. Rheumatoid vasculitis. CIS Spring School of Autoimmune Diseases, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 2005.
- Lu H, Yang Y, Huston DP, Yang X-F. Activated T cells are novel source for secreted histamine releasing factor. Department of Medicine Research Symposium, Houston, TX, 2005.
- Lu H. Activated T cells secrete histamine releasing factor. Asthma and Immunology 61st Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2005 115(2): S220 115(2):S220, 2005.
- Huston DP, Liu Y, Lu H. TGFB1-induced TSLP production. FOCIS centers of excellence trainee satellite symposium, 4th Annual Meeting of the Federation of clinical Immunology Societies/12th Intl Congress of Immunology, Montreal, Canada, 2004.
- Marengo MF, Suarez-Almazor M, Lu H. Neoplastic and Paraneoplastic Synovitis. In: Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America. 4. Elsevier Publisher, 551-72, 2011.
- Waimann C, Lu H, Suarez-Almazor M.. Rheumatic Manifestations of Primary and Metastatic Bone Tumors and Paraneoplastic Bone Disease. In: Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America. 4. Elsevier Publisher, 527-49, 2011.
Letters to the Editor
- Pundole X, Lopez-Olivo MA, Lu H. Calcium and vit D supplements and fracture in community-dwelling adults. JAMA 319: 2041-2042, 2018.
|Title:||A randomized, controlled study of lbandronate for the prevention of bone loss in patients received allogeneic bone marrow transplantation for hematological disorder and malignancies|
|Funding Source:||Roche Laboratories|
|Title:||Long term assessment of arthralgias in breast cancer patients using Aromatase Inhibitors|
|Title:||Fracture assessment following hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for hematologic malignancies|
|Funding Source:||Rolanette and Berdon Lawrence Bone Disease Clinical Research Award|