Meet Carisa Le-Petross, M.D.
About Dr. Le-Petross
Dr. (Huong) Carisa Le-Petross is a Professor of Radiology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. She joined MD Anderson in 2005, after being recruited from the University of California to develop the breast MRI program at MD Anderson, and prior to that private practice. She completed her Women’s Imaging Fellowship at Mayo Scottsdale and Radiology Residency at University of Alberta.
Besides devoting her time to clinical work in the Breast Imaging Centers and Gynecologic Oncology Clinic, she has dedicated significant professional and personal time collaborating in breast cancer clinical trial research within the institution and at national level. Her collaborations at national level include concept development and submission with clinicians, statisticians, and scientists from other academic centers, performing site credentialing, and providing central imaging reviews for at least 6 multi-institutional trials. As the principal imaging investigator for the Z1071, Z1072, A011102 trials, she performed central review of over 756 cases from 136 institutions. She was the vice Chair of the ACOSOG Imaging Committee and the current Breast representative for the Alliance Imaging Committee. She has assisted on committees for research concepts, abstracts review, and education exhibits award reviews for NCI, Alliance, Radiologic Society of North America, and American Roentgen Ray Society. She has a strong interest and desire to see new research boundaries, with the hope of improving the diagnosis and care of cancer patients.
Professor, Department of Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Section of Breast Imaging and Section of Abdominal Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Breast Imaging and Breast Intervention (Mammography, Tomosynthesis, Ultrasound, Breast MRI, Diagnostic Biopsy, Cryoablation Treatment)
Anatomical and Functional Cross-Sectional Imaging related to Metastatic Breast Cancer (MRI, PET-CT, PET-MRI, CT, Functional Imaging)
Breast Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Prevention Trials
Breast Cancer Staging and Assessment of Response using Imaging Technology
Inflammatory Breast Cancer and Genomics
Breast Cancer Screening and Staging
MD Anderson Morgan Welch Inflammatory Breast Cancer Research Program and Clinic
Nodal Staging for Breast Cancer
Metastatic Breast Cancer
CT and MR Angiography for Breast Reconstruction
|2000||University of Alberta, Edmonton, CAN, FRCPC, Diagnostic Radiology|
|1995||Memorial University Faculty of Medicine, St. Johns, CAN, MD, Medicine|
|1990||Dalhousie University, Halifax, CAN, BPHARM, Pharmacy|
|2002-2003||Women's Imaging Fellowship, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, Scottsdale, AZ|
|2001||American Board of Radiology|
|2000||Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada|
|1990||Pharmacy Examination Board of Canada|
Associate Professor, Department of Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Section of Breast Imaging and Section of Abdominal Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2015
Institutional Committee Activities
Core Imaging Leader, Inflammatory Breast Cancer Committee, 2014 - Present
Member, Faculty Welfare Committee, 2010 - Present
Member, MRI Clinical Utility Committee, 2008 - Present
Member, Faculty Senate Committee, 2007 - 2013
Member, CRC (Clinical Research Committee), 2007 - 2010
Collaborator, Inflammatory Breast Cancer, 2006 - 2014
- Expert Panel on Breast Imaging:, Niell BL, Lourenco AP, Moy L, Baron P, Didwania AD, diFlorio-Alexander RM, Heller SL, Holbrook AI, Le-Petross HT, Lewin AA, Mehta TS, Slanetz PJ, Stuckey AR, Tuscano DS, Ulaner GA, Vincoff NS, Weinstein SP, Newell MS. ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Evaluation of the Symptomatic Male Breast. J Am Coll Radiol 15(11S):S313-S320, 2018. PMID: 30392600.
- Expert Panel on Breast Imaging:, Holbrook AI, Moy L, Akin EA, Baron P, Didwania AD, Heller SL, Le-Petross HT, Lewin AA, Lourenco AP, Mehta TS, Niell BL, Slanetz PJ, Stuckey AR, Tuscano DS, Vincoff NS, Weinstein SP, Newell MS. ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Breast Pain. J Am Coll Radiol 15(11S):S276-S282, 2018. PMID: 30392596.
- Rosenkranz KM, Ballman K, McCall L, Kubicky C, Cuttino L, Le-Petross H, Hunt KK, Giuliano A, Van Zee KJ, Haffty B, Boughey JC. The Feasibility of breast-conserving surgery for multiple ipsilateral breast cancer: An initial report from ACOSOG Z11102 (Alliance) Trial. Ann Surg Oncol 25(10):2858-2866, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29987605.
- Matsuda N, Wang X, Lim B, Krishnamurthy S, Alvarez RH, Willey JS, Parker CA, Song J, Shen Y, Hu J, Wu W, Li N, Babiera GV, Murray JL, Arun BK, Brewster AM, Reuben JM, Stauder MC, Barnett CM, Woodward WA, Le-Petross HTC, Lucci A, DeSnyder SM, Tripathy D, Valero V, Ueno NT. Safety and efficacy of panitumumab plus neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with primary HER2-negative inflammatory breast cancer. JAMA Oncol 4(9):1207-1213, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29879283.
- Menta A, Fouad TM, Lucci A, Le-Petross H, Stauder MC, Woodward WA, Ueno NT, Lim B. Inflammatory breast cancer: What to know about this unique, aggressive breast cancer. Surg Clin North Am 98(4):787-800, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30005774.
- Le-Petross HT, Lim B. Role of MR Imaging in neoadjuvant therapy monitoring. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 26(2):207-220, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29622126.
- Candelaria RP, Hansakul P, Thompson AM, Le-Petross H, Valero V, Bassett R, Huang ML, Santiago L, Adrada BE. Analysis of stereotactic biopsies performed on suspicious calcifications identified within 24 months after completion of breast conserving surgery and radiation therapy for early breast cancer: Can biopsy be obviated?. Am J Surg 17(4):30237‐4, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28712671.
- Le-Petross HT, McCall LM, Hunt KK, Mittendorf EA, Ahrendt GM, Wilke LG, Ballman KV, Boughey JC. Axillary ultrasound identifies residual nodal disease after chemotherapy: Results from the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group Z1071 Trial (Alliance). AJR Am J Roentgenol 210(3):1-8, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29381381.
- Ueno NT, Espinosa Fernandez JR, Cristofanilli M, Overmoyer B, Rea D, Berdichevski F, El-Shinawi M, Bellon J, Le-Petross HT, Lucci A, Babiera G, DeSnyder SM, Teshome M, Chang E, Lim B, Krishnamurthy S, Stauder MC, Parmar S, Mohamed MM, Alexander A, Valero V, Woodward WA. International consensus on the clinical management of inflammatory breast cancer from the Morgan Welch Inflammatory Breast Cancer Research Program 10th Anniversary Conference. J Cancer 9(8):1437-1447, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29721054.
- DeSnyder SM, Mittendorf EA, Le-Petross C, Krishnamurthy S, Whitman GJ, Ueno NT, Woodward WA, Kuerer HM, Akay CL, Babiera GV, Yang W, Lucci A. Prospective Feasibility Trial of Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in the Setting of Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Clin Breast Cancer, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28755879.
- Bedrosian I, Xing Y, Abdel Rahman S, Allen L, Le-Petross H, Whitman GJ, Meric-Bernstam F, Hunt KK, Babiera GV, Cormier JN. A Cost Analysis of Preoperative Breast MRI Use for Patients with Invasive Lobular Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 23(1):23-9, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26156655.
- Boughey JC, Ballman KV, Hunt KK, McCall LM, Mittendorf EA, Ahrendt GM, Wilke LG, Le-Petross HT. Axillary Ultrasound After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy and Its Impact on Sentinel Lymph Node Surgery: Results From the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group Z1071 Trial (Alliance). J Clin Oncol, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25646192.
- Caudle AS, Kuerer HM, Le-Petross HT, Yang W, Yi M, Bedrosian I, Krishnamurthy S, Fornage BD, Hunt KK, Mittendorf EA. Predicting the Extent of Nodal Disease in Early-Stage Breast Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 11(11):3440-7, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24859939.
- Boughey JC, Suman VJ, Mittendorf EA, Ahrendt GM, Wilke LG, Taback B, Leitch AM, Kuerer HM, Bowling M, Flippo-Morton TS, Byrd DR, Ollila DW, Julian TB, McLaughlin SA, McCall L, Symmans WF, Le-Petross HT, Haffty BG, Buchholz TA, Nelson H, Hunt KK, Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology. Sentinel lymph node surgery after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with node-positive breast cancer: the ACOSOG Z1071 (Alliance) clinical trial. JAMA 310(14):1455-61, 2013. PMID: 24101169.
- Litton JK, Ready K, Chen H, Gutierrez-Barrera A, Etzel CJ, Meric-Bernstam F, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Le-Petross H, Lu K, Hortobagyi GN, Arun BK. Earlier age of onset of BRCA mutation-related cancers in subsequent generations. Cancer 118(2):321-5, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21913181.
- Le-Petross HT, Whitman GJ, Atchley DP, Yuan Y, Gutierrez-Barrera A, Hortobagyi GN, Litton JK, Arun BK. Effectiveness of alternating mammography and magnetic resonance imaging for screening women with deleterious BRCA mutations at high risk of breast cancer. Cancer 117(17):3900-7, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21365619.
- Cohen L, Chen Z, Arun B, Shao Z, Dryden M, Xu L, Le-Petross C, Dogan B, McKenna BJ, Markman M, Babiera G. External qigong therapy for women with breast cancer prior to surgery. Integr Cancer Ther 9(4):348-53, 2010. PMID: 21106615.
- Robertson FM, Bondy M, Yang W, Yamauchi H, Wiggins S, Kamrudin S, Krishnamurthy S, Le-Petross H, Bidaut L, Player AN, Barsky SH, Woodward WA, Buchholz T, Lucci A, Ueno NT, Ueno N, Cristofanilli M. Inflammatory breast cancer: the disease, the biology, the treatment. CA Cancer J Clin 60(6):351-75, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20959401.
- Dominici LS, Negron Gonzalez VM, Buzdar AU, Lucci A, Mittendorf EA, Le-Petross HT, Babiera GV, Meric-Bernstam F, Hunt KK, Kuerer HM. Cytologically proven axillary lymph node metastases are eradicated in patients receiving preoperative chemotherapy with concurrent trastuzumab for HER2-positive breast cancer. Cancer 116(12):2884-9, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20564395.
- Le-Petross H, Hylton N. Role of Breast MR imaging in Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 18(2):249-58, viii-ix, 2010. PMID: 20494310.
- Le-Petross H, Kundra V, Szklaruk J, Wei W, Hortobagyi GN, Ma J. Fast three-dimensional dual echo dixon technique improves fat suppression in breast MRI. J Magn Reson Imaging 31(4):889-94, 2010. PMID: 20373433.
- Silberfein EJ, Hunt KK, Broglio K, Shen J, Sahin A, Le-Petross H, Oh J, Litton J, Hwang RF, Mittendorf EA. Clinicopathologic factors associated with involved margins after breast-conserving surgery for invasive lobular carcinoma. Clin Breast Cancer 10(1):52-8, 2010. PMID: 20133259.
- Carkaci S, Macapinlac HA, Cristofanilli M, Mawlawi O, Rohren E, Gonzalez Angulo AM, Dawood S, Resetkova E, Le-Petross HT, Yang WT. Retrospective study of 18F-FDG PET/CT in the diagnosis of inflammatory breast cancer: preliminary data. J Nucl Med 50(2):231-8, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19164229.
- Bedi DG, Krishnamurthy R, Krishnamurthy S, Edeiken BS, Le-Petross H, Fornage BD, Bassett RL, Hunt KK. Cortical morphologic features of axillary lymph nodes as a predictor of metastasis in breast cancer: in vitro sonographic study. AJR Am J Roentgenol 191(3):646-52, 2008. PMID: 18716089.
- Yang WT, Le-Petross HT, Macapinlac H, Carkaci S, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Dawood S, Resetkova E, Hortobagyi GN, Cristofanilli M. Inflammatory breast cancer - PET/CT, MRI, mammography, and sonography findings. Breast Cancer Res Treat 109(3):417-426, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17653852.
- Yang WT, Lane DL, Le-Petross HT, Abruzzo LV, Macapinlac HA. Breast lymphoma: imaging findings of 32 tumors in 27 patients. Radiology 245(3):692-702, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17911538.
- Ma J, Son JB, Zhou Y, Le-Petross H, Choi H. Fast spin echo triple echo Dixon (fTED) technique for efficient T2-weighted water and fat imaging. Magn Reson Med 58(1):103-109, 2007. PMID: 17659631.
- Le-Petross HT. Breast MRI as a screening tool: the appropriate role. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 4(5):523-526, 2006. PMID: 16687098.
- Kwan AL, Boone JM, Le-Petross HT, Lindfors KK, Seibert JA. Contrast-enhanced dual-energy digital subtraction mammography: optimization of the beam energy. Proc Soc Photo Opt Instrum Eng 5745, 2005.
- Reddy NM, Gerscovich EO, Jain KA, Le-Petross HT, Brock JM. Vasectomy-related changes on sonographic examination of the scrotum. J Clin Ultrasound 32(8):394-398, 2004. PMID: 15372447.
- Le-Petross HT, Patel MD, Roberts CC, Liu PT, Karstaedt PJ. Magnetic resonance imaging estimation of breast cancer size after large core needle biopsy. Journal of Women's Imaging 16:160-165, 2004.
- Harnett J, Le H. Cardiovascular effects of erythropoietin. Dial Transplant 22(9), 1993.
- Harnett J, Le H. Importance of blood pressure control in dialysis patients receiving erythropoietin. J Am Soc Nephrol 3(3):426, 1992.
- Belitsky B, Ellsmere L, Le H, Sketris I. Relationship of cyclosporine clearance to demographic and outcome variables in kidney transplant patients, 1990.
- Raj SD, Agrons MM, Woodtichartpreecha P, Kalambo MJ, Dogan BE, Le-Petross H, Whitman GJ. MRI-guided needle localization: Indications, tips, tricks, and review of the literature. Breast J. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30924216.
- Le-Petross H, Uppendahl L, Stafford R. Sonographic Appearance of Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Seminars in Roentgenology 46(4):275-279, 2011.
- Le-Petross HT, Shetty MK. Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Breast Ultrasonography as an Adjunct to Mammographic Screening in High-Risk Patients. Semin Ultrasound CT MR 32(4):266-272, 2011. PMID: 21782116.
- Le-Petross H, Lane D. Challenges and Potential Pitfalls in Magnetic Resonance Imaging of More Elusive Breast Carcinomas. Semin Ultrasound CT MR 32(4):342-350, 2011. PMID: 21782124.
- Le-Petross HT and Stafford RJ. The Need for MRI Before Breast-Conserving Surgery. Current Breast Cancer Reports 1:98-103, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: LLC ISSN 1943-4588.
- Le-Petross CH, Bidaut L, Yang WT. Evolving role of imaging modalities in inflammatory breast cancer. Semin Oncol 35(1):51-63, 2008. PMID: 18308146.
- Le-Petross HT. Breast MRI screening. Oncolog 52(12):8, 2007.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- RP Candelaria and H Le-Petross. November Case of the Month. Society of Breast Imaging: SBI website, 2010.
- Le H. Students attitudes towards health care system, 1992.
- H. Carisa Le-Petross, MD, Houston, TX; L M McCall, MS; K K Hunt, MD; E Mittendorf, MD; G M Ahrendt, MD; L G Wilke, MD; J Boughey, MD. Correlation of Axillary Ultrasound Features after Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy with Final Pathology in Patients Presenting with Node-Positive Breast Cancer (T0-T4, N1-2, M0): Results from a Multi-insitutional Collaborative Clinical Trial (Alliance). RSNA 2014 syllabus; firstname.lastname@example.org, 2014.
- Judy C. Boughey, Karla V. Ballman, Kelly K. Hunt, Linda M. McCall, Elizabeth A. Mittendorf , Gretchen M. Ahrendt, Lee G. Wilke, Huong T. Le-Petross. Axillary Ultrasound After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Patients Presenting with Node-Positive Breast Cancer (T0-T4,N1-2,M0) and its Impact on Sentinel Lymph Node Surgery in ACOSOG Z1071 (ALLIANCE). 18th SIS World Congress on Breast Healthcare, 2014.
- Cure LM, Garvey P, Sagebiel T, Baumann D, Iyer R, Madewell J, Le-Petross H. Role of CT and MR Angiography in Preoperative Planning of Reconstructive Surgery. Electronic Exhitib E480, 2013. e-Pub 2013.
- Boughey JC, Suman VJ, Mittendorf EA, Ahrendt GM, Wilke LG, Taback B,. The role of sentinel lymph node surgery in patients presenting with node positive breast cancer who received neoadjuvant chemotherapy: Z1071. Cancer research 72(24):7s, 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Deleonardis C, Lodhi A, Le-Petross H, singh. Pleomorphic Calcifications, Tumor Markers, and Response to Therapy. Cancer Research(69):2027, 2009.
- Le-Petross H, Kundra V, Szklaruk J, Wei W, Andreopoulou E, Jingfei M. Fat Suppression for Breast MRI Improves by Fast 3D Dual Echo Dixon Technique. ARRS 109th Annual Meeting, 2009.
- Ai H, Taylor B, Elliott A, Le-Petross H, Hazle J, Stafford R. Initial Evaluation of a Fast Chemical Shift Thermometry Technique in Breast. ISMRM 17th Scientific Meeting, 2009.
- Le-Petross HT, Cristofanilli M, Qing Y, Jackson EF, Gong Y, Reed B, Hortobagyi GN, Yang WT. Inflammatory breast cancer: defining breast magnetic resonance imaging features. 31st Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, 2008.
- Le-Petross HT, Atchley DP, Whitman GJ, Hortobagyi GN, Arun BK. Effectiveness of screening women at high risk for breast cancer with alternating mammography and MRI. 31st Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, 2008.
- Reed BJ, McAlee KR, Yuan Q, Jackson EF, Whitman GJ, Le-Petross HT. Utilizing BREASE (Breast Spectroscopy Exam) to monitor neoadjuvant chemotherapy response at 3T preliminary results. Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 16th Scientific Meeting and Exhibition, 2008.
- Le-Petross HT, Charnsangavej C, Cristofanilli M, Yuan Q PHD, Yang WT. Inflammatory breast cancer (IBC): magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) characteristics at 1.5 and 3.0T. Radiological Society of North America 93rd Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, 2007.
- Yang WT, Le-Petross HT, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Macapinlac H, Carkaci S, Dawood S, Resetkova E, Hortobagyi GN, Cristofanilli M. Functional (PET/CT) compared to conventional (mammography [M], sonography [US], MRI) imaging: Defining novel assessment modalities for inflammatory breast cancer (IBC). Proceedings of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 25(18S):600, 2007.
- Le-Petross HT, Carkaci S, Stafford R, Elliott A, Jackson E. 1.5 and 3.0 T magnetic resonance imaging artifacts from breast biopsy clip. Am J Roentgenol Supplement 188:A87-99, 2007.
- J Moni, H Le-Petross, J Boughey, K Hunt, T FitzGerald. Quality assurance review center: Role in multi-institutional breast cancer trials. Breast Cancer Symposium 2011(suppl 27). e-Pub 2011.
- H. Le-Petross and A. Caudle. Chapter 15: Staging of Breast Cancer. In: Breast Cancer Screening and Diagnosis. 1st Ed. Springer Science + Business Media: Media, PA, 301-314, 2015.
- H Le-Petross, J Stafford, I Bedrosian, P Garvey, W Woodward, S Moulder-Thompson. Breast Cancer. In: Oncologic Imaging: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Elsevier Saunders: Philadelphia, PA, 479-508, 2012.
- Le-Petross HT, Stafford RJ, Morris EA.. Breast MRI. In: Advanced Therapy of Breast Disease. 3rd edition. PMPH-USA: Shellton, CT, 2012.
- H. Le-Petross and T. Stephens. Current Status of Computer-Aided Detection of Breast Cancer. In: Physics of Mammographic Imaging. 1st. Taylor and Francis: Boca Raton, FL, 165-174, 2012.
- Le-Petross H. Ultrasound Examination of the Breast and Fine-Needle Aspiration. In: Kuerer's Breast Surgical Oncology. 1st. McGraw-Hill COmpanies Inc: New York, 2010.
- Singletary SE, Middleton LA, Le-Petross HT. Chapter 85: The unknown primary presenting with axillary lymphadenopathy. In: The Breast. 4th. Saunders - Elvsevier, 1373, 2009.
- Lindfors K, Le-Petross H. Breast Imaging. In: Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology. Third. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins: Philadelphia, PA, 565-600, 2007.
- Lindfors K, Le-Petross HT. Chapter 20: Breast imaging. In: Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology. 3rd. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 565-600, 2006.
Letters to the Editor
- Rosenkranz KM, Ballman K, McCall L, Kubicky CD, Cuttino L, Le-Petross H, Hunt K, Giuliano A, Van Zee K, Haffty B, Boughey J. Reply to "Can Patients with Multiple Breast Cancers in the Same Breast Avoid Mastectomy by Having Multiple Lumpectomies to Achieve Equivalent Rates of Local Breast Cancer Recurrence? Response to the Preliminary Alliance 11102 Trial Report". Ann Surg Oncol 26: 702, 2019.