About Dr. Sastry
Dr. Jagannadha Sastry is a Professor in the Department of Immunology at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston and in the Department of Veterinary Sciences in Science Park. Over the past 25+ years, Dr. Sastry has conducted research in the broad areas of viral oncology and immunology focuses on understanding the biology, pathology and genetics of two viral diseases impacting human health: HPV-associated cancers and HIV-induced AIDS. The overall goal of his research is to develop procedures and reagents for prediction, treatment as well as prevention. His research program has been continuously supported by funds from NIH, sponsored research, and philanthropy. Some of his laboratory’s most notable findings are the identification and patenting of HPV-16 E6/E7 peptides, for which women disease-free after treatment for HPV-CIN exhibited T cell immunity and the design of effective mucosal vaccination strategies to deliver them. Continuing work in this area seeks to combine peptide vaccination with other immune therapies such as 4-1BB agonists and CTLA-4 blockade to eradicate HPV-derived cancers. His lab developed a synthetic peptide-cocktail vaccine based on highly conserved sequences within the envelope protein of HIV-1 that proved effective against AIDS development and, in collaboration studies, demonstrated that recombinant adenoviral constructs expressing the peptide cocktail as well as full-length HIV envelope induce protective immunity against mucosal viral challenge, the most prevalent route of HIV transmission worldwide.
Professor, Department of Immunology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Veterinary Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - Science Park, Bastrop, TX
|1981||National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, IND, PHD, Microbiology|
|1974||G.B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnager, IND, MS, Microbiology|
|1972||Andhra University, Andhra Pradesh, IND, BS, Biology/Chemistry|
|1981-1984||Postdoctoral Research Associate, Microbiology, The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), Galveston, TX|
|1979-1981||Postdoctoral Research Associate, Biology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN|
Regular Member, Department of Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS), Division of Graduate Faculty, The University of Texas Health Science Center (UTHSC), Houston, TX, 1993 - Present
- Khan A, Singh S, Galvan G, Jagannath C, Sastry KJ. Prophylactic Sublingual Immunization with Mycobacterium tuberculosis Subunit Vaccine Incorporating the Natural Killer T Cell Agonist Alpha-Galactosylceramide Enhances Protective Immunity to Limit Pulmonary and Extra-Pulmonary Bacterial Burden in Mice. Vaccines (Basel) 5(4), 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29210987.
- Nehete PN, Magden ER, Nehete BP, Williams LE, Abee CR, Sastry KJ. Age- and Sex-associated Differences in Phenotypic and Functional Characteristics of Peripheral Blood Lymphocytes in Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci 56(5):509-519, 2017. PMID: 28903821.
- Dorta-Estremera S, Nehete PN, Yang G, He H, Nehete BP, Shelton KK, Barry MA, Sastry KJ. Minimally invasive monitoring of CD4 T cells at multiple mucosal tissues after intranasal vaccination in rhesus macaques. PLoS One 12(12):e0188807, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29220358.
- Briggs N, Weatherhead J, Sastry KJ, Hotez PJ. The Hygiene Hypothesis and Its Inconvenient Truths about Helminth Infections. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 10(9):e0004944, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27632204.
- Singh S, Schluns KS, Yang G, Anthony SM, Barry MA, Sastry KJ. Intranasal Vaccination Affords Localization and Persistence of Antigen-Specific CD8? T Lymphocytes in the Female Reproductive Tract. Vaccines (Basel) 4(1), 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26999228.
- Bartkowiak T, Singh S, Yang G, Galvan G, Haria D, Ai M, Allison JP, Sastry KJ, Curran MA. Unique potential of 4-1BB agonist antibody to promote durable regression of HPV+ tumors when combined with an E6/E7 peptide vaccine. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 112(38):E5290-9, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26351680.
- DeLyria ES, Zhou D, Lee JS, Singh S, Song W, Li F, Sun Q, Lu H, Wu J, Qiao Q, Hu Y, Zhang G, Li C, Sastry KJ, Shen H. Sublingual injection of microparticles containing glycolipid ligands for NKT cells and subunit vaccines induces antibody responses in oral cavity. Carbohydr Res 405:87-92, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25555750.
- Crosby CM, Nehete P, Sastry KJ, Barry MA. Amplified and persistent immune responses generated by single-cycle replicating adenovirus vaccines. J Virol 89(1):669-75, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25355873.
- Singh S, Yang G, Byrareddy SN, Barry MA, Sastry KJ. Natural killer T cell and TLR9 agonists as mucosal adjuvants for sublingual vaccination with clade C HIV-1 envelope protein. Vaccine 32(51):6934-6940, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25444819.
- Singh S, Nehete PN, Yang G, He H, Nehete B, Hanley PW, Barry MA, Sastry KJ. Enhancement of Mucosal Immunogenicity of Viral Vectored Vaccines by the NKT Cell Agonist Alpha-Galactosylceramide as Adjuvant. Vaccines (Basel) 2(4):686-706, 2014. PMID: 25553254.
- Singh S, Yang G, Schluns KS, Anthony SM, Sastry KJ. Sublingual vaccination induces mucosal and systemic adaptive immunity for protection against lung tumor challenge. PLoS One 9(3):e90001, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24599269.
- Wang X, Singh S, Jung HY, Yang G, Jun S, Sastry KJ, Park JI. HIV-1 Vpr protein inhibits telomerase activity via the EDD-DDB1-VPRBP E3 ligase complex. J Biol Chem 288(22):15474-80, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23612978.
- Singh S, Shenoy S, Nehete PN, Yang P, Nehete B, Fontenot D, Yang G, Newman RA, Sastry KJ. Nerium oleander derived cardiac glycoside oleandrin is a novel inhibitor of HIV infectivity. Fitoterapia 84:32-9, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23127567.
- Weaver EA, Nehete PN, Nehete BP, Yang G, Buchl SJ, Hanley PW, Palmer D, Montefiori DC, Ferrari G, Ng P, Sastry KJ, Barry MA. Comparison of systemic and mucosal immunization with helper-dependent adenoviruses for vaccination against mucosal challenge with SHIV. PLoS One 8(7):e67574, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23844034.
- Nehete PN, Hanley PW, Nehete BP, Yang G, Ruiz JC, Williams L, Abee CR, Sastry KJ. Phenotypic and functional characterization of lymphocytes from different age groups of Bolivian squirrel monkeys (Saimiri boliviensis boliviensis). PLoS One 8(11):e79836, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24282512.
- Hutchison AT, Schmitz JE, Miller CJ, Sastry KJ, Nehete PN, Major AM, Ansari AA, Tatevian N, Lewis DE. Increased inherent intestinal granzyme B expression may be associated with SIV pathogenesis in Asian non-human primates. J Med Primatol 40(6):414-26, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21732950.
- Courtney AN, Thapa P, Singh S, Wishahy AM, Zhou D, Sastry J. Intranasal but not intravenous delivery of the adjuvant α-galactosylceramide permits repeated stimulation of natural killer T cells in the lung. Eur J Immunol 41(11):3312-22, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21818755.
- He H, Nehete PN, Nehete B, Wieder E, Yang G, Buchl S, Sastry KJ. Functional impairment of central memory CD4 T cells is a potential early prognostic marker for changing viral load in SHIV-infected rhesus macaques. PLoS One 6(5):e19607, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21602924.
- Lay MK, Atmar RL, Guix S, Bharadwaj U, He H, Neill FH, Sastry KJ, Yao Q, Estes MK. Norwalk virus does not replicate in human macrophages or dendritic cells derived from the peripheral blood of susceptible humans. Virology 406(1):1-11, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20667573.
- He H, Courtney AN, Wieder E, Sastry KJ. Multicolor flow cytometry analyses of cellular immune response in rhesus macaques. J Vis Exp(38), 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20414189.
- Qin H, Nehete PN, He H, Nehete B, Buchl S, Cha SC, Sastry JK, Kwak LW. Prime-boost vaccination using chemokine-fused gp120 DNA and HIV envelope peptides activates both immediate and long-term memory cellular responses in rhesus macaques. J Biomed Biotechnol 2010:860160, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20454526.
- Nehete PN, Nehete B, He H, Sastry KJ. In vivo targeting of an HIV synthetic peptide cocktail vaccine to dendritic cells in rhesus macaques to prime antigen-specific cell-mediated immunity. Current Topics in Peptide & Protein Research 11:37-48, 2010.
- Weaver EA, Nehete PN, Nehete BP, Buchl SJ, Palmer D, Montefiori DC, Ng P, Sastry KJ, Barry MA. Protection against Mucosal SHIV Challenge by Peptide and Helper-Dependent Adenovirus Vaccines. Viruses 1(3):920, 2009. PMID: 20107521.
- Fontenot D, He H, Hanabuchi S, Nehete PN, Zhang M, Chang M, Nehete B, Wang YH, Wang YH, Ma ZM, Lee HC, Ziegler SF, Courtney AN, Miller CJ, Sun SC, Liu YJ, Sastry KJ. TSLP production by epithelial cells exposed to immunodeficiency virus triggers DC-mediated mucosal infection of CD4+ T cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106(39):16776-81, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19805372.
- Courtney AN, Nehete PN, Nehete BP, Thapa P, Zhou D, Sastry KJ. Alpha-galactosylceramide is an effective mucosal adjuvant for repeated intranasal or oral delivery of HIV peptide antigens. Vaccine 27(25-26):3335-41, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19200849.
- Thapa P, Zhang G, Xia C, Gelbard A, Overwijk WW, Liu C, Hwu P, Chang DZ, Courtney A, Sastry JK, Wang PG, Li C, Zhou D. Nanoparticle formulated alpha-galactosylceramide activates NKT cells without inducing anergy. Vaccine 27(25-26):3484-8, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19200815.
- Weaver EA, Nehete PN, Buchl SS, Senac JS, Palmer D, Ng P, Sastry KJ, Barry MA. Comparison of replication-competent, first generation, and helper-dependent adenoviral vaccines. PLoS One 4(3):e5059, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19333387.
- Sundstrom M, White RL, de Parseval A, Sastry KJ, Morris G, Grant CK, Elder JH. Mapping of the CXCR4 binding site within variable region 3 of the feline immunodeficiency virus surface glycoprotein. J Virol 82(18):9134-42, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18596086.
- Wang-Johanning F, Radvanyi L, Rycaj K, Plummer JB, Yan P, Sastry KJ, Piyathilake CJ, Hunt KK, Johanning GL. Human endogenous retrovirus K triggers an antigen-specific immune response in breast cancer patients. Cancer Res 68(14):5869-77, 2008. PMID: 18632641.
- Nehete PN, Nehete BP, Hill L, Manuri PR, Baladandayuthapani V, Feng L, Simmons J, Sastry KJ. Selective induction of cell-mediated immunity and protection of rhesus macaques from chronic SHIV(KU2) infection by prophylactic vaccination with a conserved HIV-1 envelope peptide-cocktail. Virology 370(1):130-41, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17920095.
- Mercier GT, Nehete PN, Passeri MF, Nehete BN, Weaver EA, Templeton NS, Schluns K, Buchl SS, Sastry KJ, Barry MA. Oral immunization of rhesus macaques with adenoviral HIV vaccines using enteric-coated capsules. Vaccine 25(52):8687-701, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 18063450.
- Fontenot DR, den Hollander P, Vela EM, Newman R, Sastry JK, Kumar R. Dynein light chain 1 peptide inhibits human immunodeficiency virus infection in eukaryotic cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 363(4):901-7, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17919453.
- Fontenot D, Jones JK, Hossain MM, Nehete PN, Vela EM, Dwyer VA, Jagannadha Sastry K. Critical role of Arg59 in the high-affinity gp120-binding region of CD4 for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection. Virology 363(1):69-78, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17320923.
- Manuri PR, Nehete B, Nehete PN, Reisenauer R, Wardell S, Courtney AN, Gambhira R, Lomada D, Chopra AK, Sastry KJ. Intranasal immunization with synthetic peptides corresponding to the E6 and E7 oncoproteins of human papillomavirus type 16 induces systemic and mucosal cellular immune responses and tumor protection. Vaccine 25(17):3302-10, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17291642.
- de Parseval A, Grant CK, Sastry KJ, Elder JH. Sequential CD134-CXCR4 interactions in feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV): soluble CD134 activates FIV Env for CXCR4-dependent entry and reveals a cryptic neutralization epitope. J Virol 80(6):3088-91, 2006. PMID: 16501119.
- Hamada K, Sakaue M, Sarkar A, Buchl S, Satterfield W, Keeling M, Sastry J, Roth JA, Follen M. Immune responses to repetitive adenovirus-mediated gene transfer and restoration of gene expression by cyclophosphamide or etoposide. Gynecol Oncol 99(3 Suppl 1):S177-86, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 16214207.
- Sarkar AK, Tortolero-Luna G, Follen M, Sastry KJ. Inverse correlation of cellular immune responses specific to synthetic peptides from the E6 and E7 oncoproteins of HPV-16 with recurrence of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia in a cross-sectional study. Gynecol Oncol 99(3 Suppl 1):S251-61, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 16188303.
- Nehete PN, Nehete BP, Manuri P, Hill L, Palmer JL, Sastry KJ. Protection by dendritic cells-based HIV synthetic peptide cocktail vaccine: preclinical studies in the SHIV-rhesus model. Vaccine 23(17-18):2154-9, 2005. PMID: 15755586.
- Lomada D, Gambhira R, Nehete PN, Guhad FA, Chopra AK, Peterson JW, Sastry KJ. A two-codon mutant of cholera toxin lacking ADP-ribosylating activity functions as an effective adjuvant for eliciting mucosal and systemic cellular immune responses to peptide antigens. Vaccine 23(4):555-65, 2004. PMID: 15530705.
- Starost MF, Hill LR, Nehete PN, Sastry KJ. Extramedullary hematopoiesis in the mandibular lymph node of simian-human immunodeficiency virus-infected rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta): a report of three cases. Vet Pathol 41(2):186-90, 2004. PMID: 15017035.
- Hill LR, Nehete PN, Schapiro SJ, Nehete BP, Sastry KJ. SHIV transmission and susceptibility to re-exposure through social contact following vaccination with an HIV synthetic peptide-cocktail: a case study. J Med Primatol 33(1):10-5, 2004. PMID: 15061727.
- Nehete PN, Gambhira R, Nehete BP, Sastry KJ. Dendritic cells enhance detection of antigen-specific cellular immune responses by lymphocytes from rhesus macaques immunized with an HIV envelope peptide cocktail vaccine. J Med Primatol 32(2):67-73, 2003. PMID: 12823628.
- Keeney TS, Nomura LE, Maecker HT, Sastry KJ. Flow cytometric analysis of macaque whole blood for antigen-specific intracellular cytokine production by T lymphocytes. J Med Primatol 32(1):23-30, 2003. PMID: 12733599.
- Nehete PN, Vela EM, Hossain MM, Sarkar AK, Yahi N, Fantini J, Sastry KJ. A post-CD4-binding step involving interaction of the V3 region of viral gp120 with host cell surface glycosphingolipids is common to entry and infection by diverse HIV-1 strains. Antiviral Res 56(3):233-51, 2002. PMID: 12406507.
- Nehete PN, Chitta S, Hossain MM, Hill L, Bernacky BJ, Baze W, Arlinghaus RB, Sastry KJ. Protection against chronic infection and AIDS by an HIV envelope peptide-cocktail vaccine in a pathogenic SHIV-rhesus model. Vaccine 20(5-6):813-25, 2001. PMID: 11738745.
- Dolbier CL, Cocke RR, Leiferman JA, Steinhardt MA, Schapiro SJ, Nehete PN, Perlman JE, Sastry J. Differences in functional immune responses of high vs. low hardy healthy individuals. J Behav Med 24(3):219-29, 2001. PMID: 11436543.
- Sastry KJ, Nehete PN, Savary CA. Impairment of antigen-specific cellular immune responses under simulated microgravity conditions. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 37(4):203-8, 2001. PMID: 11409684.
- Schapiro SJ, Nehete PN, Perlman JE, Sastry KJ. A comparison of cell-mediated immune responses in rhesus macaques housed singly, in pairs, or in groups. Appl Anim Behav Sci 68(1):67-84, 2000. PMID: 10771316.
- Sarkar AK, Mitchell MF, Hamada K, Buchl SJ, Satterfield WC, Schapiro SJ, Keeling ME, Sastry KJ. Evaluation of cellular immune responses in rhesus monkeys subjected to adenovirus-mediated gene transfer into the cervix. Cancer Gene Ther 6(3):220-7, 1999. PMID: 10359207.
- Oka T, Sastry KJ, Nehete P, Schapiro SJ, Guo JQ, Talpaz M, Arlinghaus RB. Evidence for specific immune response against P210 BCR-ABL in long-term remission CML patients treated with interferon. Leukemia 12(2):155-63, 1998. PMID: 9519777.
- Schapiro SJ, Nehete PN, Perlman JE, Bloomsmith MA, Sastry KJ. Effects of dominance status and environmental enrichment on cell-mediated immunity in rhesus macaques. Appl Anim Behav Sci 56:319-32, 1998.
- Nehete PN, Schapiro SJ, Johnson PC, Murthy KK, Satterfield WC, Sastry KJ. A synthetic peptide from the first conserved region in the envelope protein gp160 is a strong T-cell epitope in HIV-infected chimpanzees and humans. Viral Immunol 11(3):147-58, 1998. PMID: 9918406.
- Nehete PN, Lewis DE, Tang DN, Pollack MS, Sastry KJ. Presence of HLA-C-restricted cytotoxic T-lymphocyte responses in long-term nonprogressors infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Viral Immunol 11(3):119-29, 1998. PMID: 9918403.
- Casement KS, Arlinghaus KB, Sastry KJ. Cytotoxic T-lymphocyte response induced by a V3 loop synthetic peptide from an African HIV-1 isolate is cross-reactive against HIV-1 strains from North America/Europe region. AIDS 10(12):1440-1, 1996. PMID: 8902081.
- Sastry KJ, Marin MC, Nehete PN, McConnell K, el-Naggar AK, McDonnell TJ. Expression of human immunodeficiency virus type I tat results in down-regulation of bcl-2 and induction of apoptosis in hematopoietic cells. Oncogene 13(3):487-93, 1996. PMID: 8760290.
- Mitchell MF, Hamada K, Sastry KJ, Sarkar A, Tortolero-Luna G, Wharton JT, Roth JA. Transgene expression in the rhesus cervix mediated by an adenovirus expressing beta-galactosidase. Am J Obstet Gynecol 174(4):1094-101, 1996. PMID: 8623835.
- Nehete PN, Johnson PC, Schapiro SJ, Arlinghaus RB, Sastry KJ. Cross-reactive T-cell proliferative responses to V3 peptides corresponding to different geographical HIV-1 isolates in HIV-seropositive individuals. J Clin Immunol 16(2):115-24, 1996. PMID: 8690775.
- Casement KS, Nehete PN, Arlinghaus RB, Sastry KJ. Cross-reactive cytotoxic T lymphocytes induced by V3 loop synthetic peptides from different strains of human immunodeficiency virus type 1. Virology 211(1):261-7, 1995. PMID: 7645219.
- Nehete PN, Murthy KK, Satterfield WC, Arlinghaus RB, Sastry KJ. Studies on V3-specific cross-reactive T-cell responses in chimpanzees chronically infected with HIV-1IIIB. AIDS 9(6):567-72, 1995. PMID: 7662194.
- Nehete PN, Casement KS, Arlinghaus RB, Sastry KJ. Studies on in vivo induction of HIV-1 envelope-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes by synthetic peptides from the V3 loop region of HIV-1 IIIB gp 120. Cell Immunol 160(2):217-23, 1995. PMID: 7720083.
- Sarkar AK, Tortolero-Luna G, Nehete PN, Arlinghaus RB, Mitchell MF, Sastry KJ. Studies on in vivo induction of cytotoxic T lymphocyte responses by synthetic peptides from E6 and E7 oncoproteins of human papillomavirus type 16. Viral Immunol 8(3):165-74, 1995. PMID: 8833270.
- Sastry KJ, Bender BS, Bell W, Small PA, Arlinghaus RB. Effects of influenza virus-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte responses induced by a synthetic nucleoprotein peptide on the survival of mice challenged with a lethal dose of virus. Vaccine 12(14):1281-7, 1994. PMID: 7856292.
- Nehete PN, Arlinghaus RB, Sastry KJ. Use of helper T cell-inducing peptides from conserved regions in HIV-1 env in a noncovalent mixture with a CTL-inducing V3-loop peptide for in vivo induction of long-lasting systemic CTL response. Viral Immunol 7(4):189-97, 1994. PMID: 7576033.
- Nehete PN, Arlinghaus RB, Sastry KJ. Inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection and syncytium formation in human cells by V3 loop synthetic peptides from gp120. J Virol 67(11):6841-6, 1993. PMID: 7692087.
- Nehete PN, Satterfield WC, Matherne CM, Arlinghaus RB, Sastry KJ. Induction of human immunodeficiency virus-specific T cell responses in rhesus monkeys by synthetic peptides from gp160. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 9(3):235-40, 1993. PMID: 8471313.
- Sastry KJ, Nehete PN, Venkatnarayanan S, Morkowski J, Platsoucas CD, Arlinghaus RB. Rapid in vivo induction of HIV-specific CD8+ cytotoxic T lymphocytes by a 15-amino acid unmodified free peptide from the immunodominant V3-loop of GP120. Virology 188(2):502-9, 1992. PMID: 1316670.
- Sastry JK, Nehete PN, Khan S, Nowak BJ, Plunkett W, Arlinghaus RB, Farquhar D. Membrane-permeable dideoxyuridine 5'-monophosphate analogue inhibits human immunodeficiency virus infection. Mol Pharmacol 41(3):441-5, 1992. PMID: 1372082.
- Sastry KJ, Arlinghaus RB. Identification of T-cell epitopes without B-cell activity in the first and second conserved regions of the HIV Env protein. AIDS 5(6):699-707, 1991. PMID: 1715718.
- Sastry KJ, Reddy HR, Pandita R, Totpal K, Aggarwal BB. HIV-1 tat gene induces tumor necrosis factor-beta (lymphotoxin) in a human B-lymphoblastoid cell line. J Biol Chem 265(33):20091-3, 1990. PMID: 2243081.
- Sastry KJ, Arlinghaus RB. A novel HIV vaccine strategy. Hematol Pathol 4(3):157-9, 1990. PMID: 2258362.
- Sastry KJ, Huang C, Chan TS. Adenosine kinase deficiency in tritiated deoxyadenosine-resistant mouse S49 lymphoma cell lines. Biochem Genet 25(11-12):765-77, 1987. PMID: 2835956.
- Sastry KJ, Chan TS, Rodriguez LV. Selective overproduction of human dihydrofolate reductase in a methotrexate-resistant human-mouse somatic cell hybrid. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 132(2):795-803, 1985. PMID: 4062946.
- Sastry KJ, Srivastava OP, Millet J, FitzJames PC, Aronson AI. Characterization of Bacillus subtilis mutants with a temperature-sensitive intracellular protease. J Bacteriol 153(1):511-9, 1983. PMID: 6401288.
- Chaloupka J, Severin AI, Sastry KJ, Kucerova H, Stranadova M. Differences in the regulation of exocellular proteinase synthesis during growth and sporulation of Bacillus megaterium. Can J Microbiol 28:1214-8, 1982.
- Sastry KJ, Strnadová M, Chaloupka J. Synthesis of exocellular proteins during the exponential and stationary phase of growth of Bacillus megaterium. Folia Microbiol (Praha) 26(2):73-7, 1981. PMID: 6790385.
- Sastry KJ, Mathur DK. Studies of milk clotting enzyme from Bacillus megaterium K40: II. Effect of some nutrients on enzyme production. J Food Sci Technol 16(1):15-8, 1979.
- Sastry KJ, Mathur DK. Studies of milk clotting enzyme from Bacillus megaterium K40: II. Effect of some environmental factors on enzyme production. J Food Sci Technol 16(1):19-21, 1979.
- Ralhan GR, Sastry KJ, Mathur DK. Isolation, purification and characterization of nisinase producing bacterial from processed cheese. Ind J Dairy Sci 31(2):150-5, 1978.
- Sastry KJ, Mathur DK. Bacterial nisinase. Ind Dairyman 29(9):555-9, 1977.
- Nehete P, Nehete B, Buchl S, Sastry KJ. Effect of FLT3-ligand treatment on hematological and immunological responses in SHIV infected rhesus monkeys: a pilot study. Immunology 2004, International Proceeding:181-186, 2004.
- Sastry KJ, Nehete PN, Gambhira R, Nehete B, Keeney TS. Synthetic peptide-based vaccine for induction of cell-mediated immunity against HIV and HPV. Recent Res Develop Virol 3:575-601, 2001.
- Nehete PN, Arlinghaus RB, Sastry KJ. V3 loop synthetic peptides block infection and syncytium formation by HIV-1. Vaccines 94:285-9, 1994.
- Sastry KJ, Nehete P, Casement K, Arlinghaus RB. Some synthetic peptides representing HIV-specific CTL epitopes fail to induce CTL responses in vivo: implications for vaccine development. Vaccines 94:175-80, 1994.
- Nehete PN, Arlinghaus RB, Sastry KJ, Satterfield WC, Matherne CM. HIV-specific T-cell responses in rhesus monkeys immunized with synthetic peptides from gp160. Vaccines 93:91-4, 1993.
- Sastry KJ, Nehete PN, Casement K, Platsoucas CD, Arlinghaus RB. Rapid induction of virus-specific MHC-restricted CTLs with short synthetic peptides. Vaccines 93:19-23, 1993.
- Sastry KJ, Mathur KD. Studies on milk clotting enzyme from Bacillus megaterium K-40: III. Purification and characterization of the enzyme. Intn’l Dairy Congress, Moscow, USSR, 1982.
- Sastry KJ. A novel synthetic peptide-cocktail vaccine against HIV-AIDS: pre-clinical studies showing protective efficacy in the rhesus macaque model. International Conference on Viral Vaccines, Edinburg, Scotland. Platform presentation, 2003.
- Sastry KJ. Dendritic cell vaccination against HIV: superiority of dendritic cells over standard Freund's adjuvant for delivering an HIV synthetic peptide cocktail vaccine in rhesus macaques for protection against pathogenic SHIV challenge. 7th International Symposium on Dendritic Cells, Bamberg, Germany. Platform presentation, 2002.
- Sastry KJ. Novel anti-viral strategy targeting viral entry at a post-CD4 binding step common to infection by diverse HIV-1 strains. 15th International Conference on Antiviral Research. Pargue, Czech Republic. Platform presentation, 2002.
- Sastry KJ. Cellular immune responses to specific E6 and E7 peptides of HPV-16 as markers for recurrence of HPV-associated CIN and for potential application in immunotherapy. 18th International Conference on Papilloma Virus, Barcelona, Spain, Platform presentation, 2000.
- Singh S, Nehete P, Hanley P, Nehete B, Yang G, He H, Anthony SM, Schluns KS, Sastry KJ. Procedures for mucosal immunization and analyses of cellular immune response to candidate HIV vaccines in murine and nonhuman primate models. In: Methods Mol Biol, 417-55, 2014.
- Sastry KJ, Nehete PN, Nehete B. Improving the sensitivity of the ELISPOT analyses of antigen-specific cellular immune responses in rhesus macaques. In: Methods Mol Biol. Humana Press: Totowa, NJ, 153-166, 2005.
- Sastry KJ, Nehete PN. Animal Models for AIDS Research. In: Handbook of Laboratory Animal Science. CRC Press: Boca Raton, 61-77, 2004.
- Hossain MM, Nehete PN, Chitta S, Sastry KJ. Synthetic peptide-based reagents for blocking the entry and inactivation of HIV. In: Peptides for the New Millenium, American Peptide Symposia Series. Springer: Netherlands, 258-259, 2000.
- Nehete PN, Chitta S, Hossain MM, Hill L, Bernacky B, Sastry KJ. Synthetic peptide-based HIV vaccine induces protective immunity in SHIV-rhesus model. In: Peptides for the New Millenium, American Peptide Symposia Series. Springer: Netherlands, 706-707, 2000.
- Sastry KJ, Nehete PN, Courtney AN, Fontenot DR. Animal models for AIDS research. In: Handbook of Laboratory Animal Science. Third Edition. CRC Press: Boca Raton.