About Dr. Blalock
Janice A. Blalock, Ph.D. is a clinical psychologist with 19 years research experience in treatments for depression and anxiety disorders, and nicotine dependence. Her research area of interest is development of smoking cessation treatments for smokers with comorbid psychiatric and medical disorders. She was the Co-P.I. on a recently completed study evaluating a depression and smoking cessation intervention for pregnant smokers. She is currently conducting a NIMH-funded study evaluating the efficacy of a combined depression and smoking cessation intervention for smokers with chronic forms of depressive disorders who enter treatment with unremitted depressive episodes. Dr. Blalock also serves as the Assistant Director for the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center’s Tobacco Treatment Program, which provides tobacco cessation services to all M.D. Anderson cancer patients. She has interest in evaluating smoking cessation treatments that are specifically tailored to meet the needs of cancer patients who have difficulty quitting following diagnosis and has several grant submissions under review that are focused on this topic; including a NCI funded study evaluating the efficacy of a novel smoking cessation intervention for cancer patients. She has published a number of articles evaluating the impact of clinical depression on withdrawal and abstinence outcomes among smokers with current depressive disorders, and the effect of psychiatric disorders on abstinence outcomes in cancer patients.
Associate Professor, Department of Behavioral Science, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1992||Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Blacksburg, VA, USA, PHD, Clinical Psychology|
|1991||Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA, Internship, Psychology|
|1987||University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA, USA, MA, Psychology|
|1980||Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos, TX, USA, BS, Psychology|
- Karam-Hage M, Oughli HA, Rabius V, Beneventi D, Wippold RC, Blalock JA, Cinciripini PM. Tobacco Cessation Treatment Pathways for Patients With Cancer: 10 Years in the Making. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 14(11):1469-1477, 2016. PMID: 27799514.
- Farris SG, Robinson JD, Zvolensky MJ, Hogan J, Rabius V, Cinciripini PM, Karam-Hage M, Blalock JA. Panic attacks and smoking cessation among cancer patients receiving smoking cessation treatment. Addict Behav 61:32-9, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27235990.
- Cox-Martin E, Basen-Engquist K, Cox MG, Lyons L, Carmack CL, Blalock JA, Demark-Wahnefried W. Interest in Health Behavior Intervention Delivery Modalities Among Cancer Survivors: A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research Cancer 2(1/e1), 2016.
- Parrott CE, Rathnayaka N, Blalock JA, Minnix JA, Cinciripini PM, Vincent JP, Wetter DW, Green C. Examination of the Wisconsin Inventory of Smoking Dependence Motives (WISDM-68) Factor structure in a sample of pregnant smokers. Nicotine Tob Res 17(6):653-60, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25475086.
- Wippold R, Karam-Hage M, Blalock J, Cinciripini P. Selection of optimal tobacco cessation medication treatment in patients with cancer. Clin J Oncol Nurs 19(2):170-5, 2015. PMID: 25840382.
- Stotts AL, Northrup TF, Cinciripini PM, Minnix JA, Blalock JA, Mullen PD, Pedroza C, Blackwell S. Randomized, controlled pilot trial of bupropion for pregnant smokers: Challenges and future directions. Am J Perinatol 32(4):351-6, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25111040.
- Lin J, Blalock JA, Chen M, Ye Y, Gu J, Cohen L, Cinciripini PM, Wu X. Depressive symptoms and short telomere length are associated with increased mortality in bladder cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 24(2):336-43, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25416716.
- Farris SG, Zvolensky MJ, Blalock JA, Schmidt NB. Negative affect and smoking motives sequentially mediate the effect of panic attacks on tobacco-relevant processes. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 40(3):230-239, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24720260.
- Bluethmann SM, Basen-Engquist K, Vernon SW, Cox M, Gabriel KP, Stansberry SA, Carmack CL, Blalock JA, Demark-Wahnefried W. Grasping the 'teachable moment': time since diagnosis, symptom burden and health behaviors in breast, colorectal and prostate cancer survivors. Psychooncology. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26060053.
- Almirall D, Blalock JA Summary of the SRNT treatment network Webinar: getting SMART about developing individualized sequences of health interventions. Nicotine Tob Res 16(2):252, 2014. PMID: 24302636.
- Rabius V, Karam-Hage M, Blalock JA, Cinciripini PM. "Meaningful use" provides a meaningful opportunity. Cancer 120(4):464-468, 2014. PMID: 24496865.
|Title:||Cancer Control Moonshot Platform Proposal: Project TEACH|
|Title:||Lung Moon Shot Adult Cessation Project|
|Title:||Postpartum Intervention for Pregnant Smokers: Feasibility of Smartphone Delivery|
|Title:||Optimizing Effectiveness of Smoking Cessation Invention During LDCT screening for Lung Cancer|
|Funding Source:||Arnold Foundation|
|Title:||Integrated care-versus quitline interventions for smokers with mental health conditions|
|Title:||Development of a Transdiagnostic Emotional Vulnerability Smoking Cessation Intervention for Cancer Patients|
|Funding Source:||Duncan Family Institute Seed-funding Research Program|
|Title:||Promoting Long-term Abstinence from Smoking Among Cancer Patients|