About Dr. Blalock
Janice A. Blalock, Ph.D. is a clinical psychologist with 23 years research experience in treatments for depression and anxiety disorders, and nicotine dependence. Her research area of interest is the development of smoking cessation treatments for smokers with comorbid psychiatric and medical disorders. She has served as a Co-P.I. or PI on a number of NIH grants evaluating smoking cessation interventions in smokers with comorbid psychiatric and health conditions including pregnant women, chronically depressed smokers and cancer patients. She is currently conducting a NIH-funded treatment development study to evaluate Behavioral Activation as depression-focused intervention for pregnant women with major depression. She has published numerous articles evaluating the impact of clinical depression and childhood trauma on withdrawal and abstinence outcomes among smokers with current depressive disorders, and the effect of psychiatric disorders on abstinence outcomes in cancer patients.
|1992||Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Blacksburg, VA, USA, Ph.D, Clinical Psychology|
|1991||Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA, Training, Internship, Psychology|
|1987||University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA, USA, MA, Psychology|
|1980||Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos, TX, USA, BS, Psychology|
Associate Professor, Department of Behavioral Science, Division of Cancer Prevention and Population, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2022
Assistant Director, Department of Tobacco Treatment Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 2005 - 2017
- Robinson JD, Karam-Hage M, Kypriotakis G, Beneventi D, Blalock JA, Cui Y, Gonzalez R, Tayar J, Chaftari P, Cinciripini PM. Bupropion XL and SR have similar effectiveness and adverse event profiles when used to treat smoking among patients at a comprehensive cancer center. Am J Addict 31(3):236-241, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35347796.
- Cinciripini PM, Kypriotakis G, Green C, Lawrence D, Anthenelli RM, Minnix J, Blalock JA, Beneventi D, Morris C, Karam-Hage M. The Effects of Varenicline, Bupropion, Nicotine Patch and Placebo on Smoking Cessation among Smokers with Major Depression: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Depress Anxiety 39(5):1-12, 2022. PMID: 35535436.
- Salloum RG, Rojewski AM, Piper ME, Blalock JA, Borrelli B, Boyce LM, Minnix JA, Dogar O, Tomko RL, Jorenby DE, Kotsen C, Ostroff JS. Reporting Treatment Fidelity in Behavioral Tobacco Treatment Clinical Trials: Scoping Review and Measurement Recommendations. Nicotine Tob Res 24(2):150-159, 2022. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34197617.
- Rodriguez-Cano R, Paulus DJ, Derrick JL, Blalock JA, Zvolensky MJ. Emotion dysregulation and hazardous drinking in relation to suicidal ideation among Spanish-speaking Latinx daily-smokers. J Subst Abuse Treat 132:108508, 2022. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34098209.
- Cancer Center Cessation Initiative Implementation Science Working Group: Schnoll R, Chen L, Ramsey AT, Presant CA, Jose T, Ashing KT, Shelley D, Bernstein SL, Fleisher L, Salloum RG, Warren GW, Wiseman KP, Blalock JA, Dahl NA, Farka EB, Manders D, Ostroff JS, Park ER, Adsit R, Hohl SD, Minion M, Pauk D, Rolland B. Implementation science to improve tobacco cessation services in oncology care. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 19(Suppl_1):S12-S15, 2021. PMID: 34872048.
- Cox-Martin E, Cox MG, Basen-Engquist K, Bradley C, Blalock JA. Changing multiple health behaviors in cancer survivors: smoking and exercise. Psychol Health Med 25(3):1-13, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31630537.
- Tamí-Maury I, Sharma A, Chen M, Blalock JA, Ortiz J, Weaver L, Shete S. Comparing smoking behavior between female-to-male and male-to-female transgender adults. Tob Prev Cessat 6:2, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32548339.
- Cinciripini PM, Karam-Hage M, Kypriotakis G, Robinson JD, Rabius V, Beneventi D, Minnix JA, Blalock JA . Association of a comprehensive smoking cessation program with smoking abstinence among patients with cancer. JAMA Netw Open 2(9):e1912251, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31560387.
- Minnix JA, Blalock JA, Karam-Hage M, Cinciripini PM. The importance of incorporating smoking cessation into lung cancer screening. Translational Lung Cancer Research 7(3):272-280, 2018. PMID: 30050765.
- Karam-Hage M, Kypriotakis G, Robinson JD, Green CE, Mann G, Rabius V, Wippold R, Blalock JA, Mouhayar E, Tayar J, Chaftari P, Cinciripini PM. Improvement of smoking abstinence Rates with increased Varenicline dosage: A propensity score-matched analysis. J Clin Psychopharmacol 38(1):34-41, 2018. PMID: 29232312.
- Cofta-Woerpel L, Lam C, Reitzel L, Wilson W, Karam-Hage M, Beneventi D, Cofer J, Baker E, WetterD, Cinciripini P, Blalock JA. A tele-mentoring tobacco cessation case consultation and education model for healthcare providers in community mental health centers. Cogent Medicine:5: 1430652, 2018. PMID: 30364535.
- Cox M, Basen-Engquist K, Carmack CL, Blalock JA, Li Y, Murray J, Pisters L, Rodriguez-Bigas M, Song J, Cox-Martin E**, Demark-Wahnefried W. Comparison of internet and telephone interventions for weight loss among cancer survivors: Randomized controlled trial and feasibility study. JMIR Cancer 3(2):e16, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28954716.
- Karam-Hage M, Oughli HA, Rabius V, Beneventi D, Wippold RC, Blalock JA, Cinciripini PM. Tobacco cessation treatment pathways for patients with cancer: 10 years in the making. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 14(11):1469-1477, 2016. PMID: 27799514.
- Farris SG**, Robinson JD, Zvolensky MJ, Hogan J, Rabius V, Cinciripini PM, Karam-Hage M, Blalock JA. Panic attacks and smoking cessation among cancer patients receiving smoking cessation treatment. Addict Behav 61:32-9, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27235990.
- Martin EC**, Basen-Engquist K, Cox MG, Lyons EJ, Carmack CL, Blalock JA, Demark-Wahnefried W. Interest in health behavior intervention delivery modalities among cancer survivors: A cross-sectional study. JMIR Cancer 2(1/e1):e1, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28410164.
- Bluethmann SM, Basen-Engquist K, Vernon SW, Cox M, Gabriel KP, Stansberry SA, Carmack CL, Blalock JA, Demark-Wahnefried W. Grasping the 'teachable moment': time since diagnosis, symptom burden and health behaviors in breast, colorectal and prostate cancer survivors. Psychooncology 24(10):1250-1257, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26060053.
- Parrott CE**, Rathnayaka N, Blalock JA, Minnix JA, Cinciripini PM, Vincent JP, Wetter DW, Green C. Examination of the Wisconsin inventory of smoking dependence motives (WISDM-68) factor structure in a sample of pregnant smokers. Nicotine Tob Res 17(6):653-60, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25475086.
- Wippold R, Karam-Hage M, Blalock JA, Cinciripini P. Selection of optimal tobacco cessation medication treatment in patients with cancer. Clin J Oncol Nurs 19(2):170-5, 2015. PMID: 25840382.
- Stotts AL, Northrup TF, Cinciripini PM, Minnix JA, Blalock JA, Mullen PD, Pedroza C, Blackwell S. Randomized, controlled pilot trial of bupropion for pregnant smokers: Challenges and future directions. Am J Perinatol 32(4):351-6, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25111040.
- Lin J, Blalock JA, Chen M, Ye Y, Gu J, Cohen L, Cinciripini PM, Wu X. Depressive symptoms and short telomere length are associated with increased mortality in bladder cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 24(2):336-43, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25416716.
- |BFarris SG**, Zvolensky MJ, Blalock JA, Schmidt NB. Negative affect and smoking motives sequentially mediate the effect of panic attacks on tobacco-relevant processes. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 40(3):230-239, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24720260.
- Mathew AR**, Robinson JD, Norton PJ, Cinciripini PM, Brown RA, Blalock JA. Affective trajectories before and after a quit attempt in smokers with current depressive disorders. Nicotine Tob Res 15(11):1807-1815, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23509093.
- Blalock JA, Minnix JA, Mathew AR**, Wetter DW, McCullough JP, Cinciripini PM. Relationship of childhood trauma to depression and smoking outcomes in pregnant smokers. J Consult Clin Psychol 81(5):821-30, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23750463.
- Blalock JA, Nayak N**, Wetter DW, Schreindorfer L**, Minnix JA, Canul J, Cinciripini PM. The relationship of childhood trauma to nicotine dependence in pregnant smokers. Psychol Addict Behav 25(4):652-63, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21928869.
- Minnix JA, Blalock JA, Marani S, Prokhorov AV, Cinciripini PM. Self-efficacy mediates the effect of depression on smoking susceptibility in adolescents. Nicotine Tob Res 13(8):699-705, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21482619.
- Blalock JA, Lam, CY, Minnix, JA, Karam-Hage, M, Gritz, ER, Robinson, JD, Cinciripini, PM. The effect of mood, anxiety and alcohol use disorders on smoking cessation in cancer patients. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy 25(1):82-96, 2011.
- Cinciripini PM, Blalock JA, Minnix JA, Robinson JD, Brown VL, Lam C, Wetter DW, Schreindorfer L, McCullough JP, Dolan-Mullen P, Stotts AL, Karam-Hage M. Effects of an intensive depression-focused intervention for smoking cessation in pregnancy. J Consult Clin Psychol 78(1):44-54, 2010. PMID: 20099949.
- Clague J, Cinciripini P, Blalock JA, Wu X, Hudmon KS. The D2 dopamine receptor gene and nicotine dependence among bladder cancer patients and controls. Behav Genet 40(1):49-58, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19842028.
- Maddux RE, Riso LP, Klein DN, Markowitz JC, Rothbaum BO, Arnow BA, Manber R, Blalock JA, Keitner GI, Thase ME. Select comorbid personality disorders and the treatment of chronic depression with nefazodone, targeted psychotherapy, or their combination. J Affect Disord 117(3):174-9, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19217168.
- Zevallos JP, Mallen MJ, Lam CY, Karam-Hage M, Blalock JA, Wetter DW, Garden AS, Sturgis EM, Cinciripini PM. Complications of radiotherapy in laryngopharyngeal cancer: effects of a prospective smoking cessation program. Cancer 115(19):4336-4344, 2009. PMID: 19569250.
- Blalock JA, Robinson JD, Wetter DW, Schreindorfer LS**, Cinciripini PM. Nicotine withdrawal in smokers with current depressive disorders undergoing intensive smoking cessation treatment. Psychol Addict Behav 22(1):122-128, 2008. PMID: 18298238.
- Blalock JA, Fouladi RT, Cinciripini PM, Markowitz JC, Klein DN, Rothbaum BO, Arnow BA, Manber R, Riso LP, Sui D, McCullough JP, Jr.. Cognitive and behavioral mediators of combined pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy of chronic depression. Cognitive Therapy and Research 32:197-211, 2008.
- Blalock JA, Robinson JD, Wetter DW, Cinciripini PM. Relationship of DSM-IV-based depressive disorders to smoking cessation and smoking reduction in pregnant smokers. Am J Addict 15(4):268-77, 2006. PMID: 16867921.
- Mallen MJ, Blalock JA, Cinciripini PM. Using technology to serve patients and practitioners: a comprehensive tobacco-cessation program for cancer patients. Counseling and Psychotherapy Research 6(3):196-201, 2006.
- Blalock JA, Fouladi RT, Wetter DW, Cinciripini PM. Depression in pregnant women seeking smoking cessation treatment. Addict Behav 30(6):1195-208, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 15925128.
- Schatzberg AF, Rush AJ, Arnow BA, Banks PL, Blalock JA, Borian FE, Howland R, Klein DN, Kocsis JH, Kornstein SG, Manber R, Markowitz JC, Miller I, Ninan PT, Rothbaum BO, Thase ME, Trivedi MH, Keller MB. Chronic depression: medication (nefazodone) or psychotherapy (CBASP) is effective when the other is not. Arch Gen Psychiatry 62(5):513-20, 2005. PMID: 15867104.
- Santiago NJ, Klein DN, Vivian D, Arnow BA, Blalock JA, Kocsis JH, Markowitz JC, Manber R, Riso LP, Rothbaum BO, Rush AJ, Thase ME, McCullough, Jr JP, Keller MB. The therapeutic alliance and CBASP-specific skill acquisition in the treatment of chronic depression. Cognitive Therapy and Research 29(6):803-817, 2005.
- Klein DN, Santiago NJ, Vivian D, Blalock JA, Kocsis JH, Markowitz JC, McCullough JP, Rush AJ, Trivedi MH, Arnow BA, Dunner DL, Manber R, Rothbaum B, Thase ME, Keitner GI, Miller IW, Keller MB. Cognitive-behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy as a maintenance treatment for chronic depression. J Consult Clin Psychol 72(4):681-8, 2004. PMID: 15301653.
- Vocisano C, Klein DN, Arnow BA, Rivera C, Blalock JA, Rothbaum B, Vivian D, Markowitz JC, Kocsis JH, Manber R, Castonguay L, Rush AJ, Borian FF, McCullough JP, Kornstein SG, Riso LP, Thase ME. Therapist variables that predict symptom change in psychotherapy with chronically depressed outpatients. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training 41:255-265, 2004.
- Arnow BA, Manber R, Blasey C, Klein DN, Blalock JA, Markowitz JC, Rothbaum BO, Rush AJ, Thase ME, Riso LP, Vivian D, McCullough JP, Keller MB. Therapeutic reactance as a predictor of outcome in the treatment of chronic depression. J Consult Clin Psychol 71(6):1025-35, 2003. PMID: 14622078.
- Klein DN, Schwartz JE, Santiago NJ, Vivian D, Vocisano C, Castonguay LG, Arnow B, Blalock JA, Manber R, Markowitz JC, Riso LP, Rothbaum B, McCullough JP, Thase ME, Borian FE, Miller IW, Keller MB. Therapeutic alliance in depression treatment: controlling for prior change and patient characteristics. J Consult Clin Psychol 71(6):997-1006, 2003. PMID: 14622075.
- Manber R, Arnow B, Blasey C, Vivian D, McCullough JP, Blalock JA, Klein DN, Markowitz JC, Riso LP, Rothbaum B, Rush AJ, Thase ME, Keller MB. Patient's therapeutic skill acquisition and response to psychotherapy, alone or in combination with medication. Psychol Med 33(4):693-702, 2003. PMID: 12785471.
- Cinciripini PM, Wetter DW, Fouladi RT, Blalock JA, Carter BL, Cinciripini LG, Baile WF. The effects of depressed mood on smoking cessation: mediation by post cessation self-efficacy. J Consult Clin Psychol 71(2):292-301, 2003. PMID: 12699023.
- Keller MB, McCullough JP, Klein DN, Arnow B, Dunner DL, Gelenberg AJ, Markowitz JC, Nemeroff CB, Russell JM, Thase ME, Trivedi MH, Zajecka J. Other authors: Blalock JA. A comparison of nefazodone, the cognitive behavioral-analysis system of psychotherapy, and their combination for the treatment of chronic depression. N Engl J Med 342(20):1462-1470, 2000. PMID: 10816183.
- Cinciripini PM, McClure JB, Wetter DW, Perry J, Blalock JA, Cinciripini LG, Friedman KE, Skaar K. An evaluation of videotaped vignettes for smoking cessation and relapse prevention during pregnancy: the very important pregnant smokers (VIPS) program. Tob Control 9 Suppl 3:III61-3, 2000. PMID: 10982910.
- Blalock JA, Joiner TE, Jr. Interaction of cognitive avoidance coping and stress in predicting depression and anxiety: Gender differences. Cognitive Therapy and Research 24:47-65, 2000.
- Joiner TE,Blalock JA, Wagner KD. Preliminary examination of sex differences in depressive symptoms among adolescent psychiatric inpatients: the role of anxious symptoms and generalized negative affect. J Clin Child Psychol 28(2):211-9, 1999. PMID: 10353080.
- Metalsky GI, Joiner TE Jr, Wonderlich SA, Beatty WW, Stanton RD, Blalock JA. When will bulimics be depressed and when not? The moderating role of attributional style. Cognitive Therapy and Research 21:61-72, 1997.
- Joiner TE, Jr, Catanzaro, S, Laurant J, Sandkin B, Blalock JA. Review of a model of depression, anxiety and negative emotion. Revistia de Psicopatologia y Psicologia Clinica 1:27-34, 1996.
- Joiner TE Jr, Blalock JA. Gender differences in depression: the role of anxiety and generalized negative affect. Sex Roles 33:91-108, 1995.
- Eisler RM, Blalock JA. Masculine gender role stress: implications for assessment and treatment of men. Clinical Psychology Review 11:45-60, 1991.
- Miller SM, Blalock JA, Ginsburg HJ. Children and the aged: attitudes, contact, and discriminative ability. International Journal of Aging and Human Development 19:47-53, 1984. PMID: 6519815.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Glenwater AM, Blalock J, Goepfert, H, Cinciripini P. Rehabilitation and quality of life, 2000.
- Almirall D, Blalock JA Summary of the SRNT treatment network Webinar: getting SMART about developing individualized sequences of health interventions. Nicotine Tob Res 16(2):252, 2014. PMID: 24302636.
- Rabius V, Karam-Hage M, Blalock JA, Cinciripini PM. "Meaningful use" provides a meaningful opportunity. Cancer 120(4):464-468, 2014. PMID: 24496865.
- Lyons E, Basen-Engquist K, Blalock JA, Demark-Wahnefried W. Preferences of breast cancer survivors for traditional and new media delivery of health promotion interventions. Journal of Women’s Health 22(10):893-893, 2013.
- Basen-Engquist K, Carmack C, Blalock JA, Baum G, Rahming D, Demark-Wahnefried W.. Predictors of cancer survivors' receptivity to lifestyle behavior change interventions. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention 21(3):559-560, 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Miller LA, Karam-Hage MA, Lal LS, Mallen M, Feng C, Blalock J, Cinciripini P. Economic evaluation of a tobacco cessation program at a major cancer center. Value of Health 11(6):A468-A468, 2008.
- Russell JM, Crown WH, Arnow BA, Blalock JA, Dunner DL, Hirschfeld RMA, Kocsis JH, Koran LM, Kornstein SG, Manber R, Markowitz JC, Rush AF, Thase ME, Trivedi MH, Berndt E, Finkelstein SN, Borian FE. Economic aspects of nefazadone, CBASP, and their combination for the treatment of chronic depression. European Neuropsychopharmacology 10:239-239, 2000.
- Skidmore JR, Eisler RM, Blalock JA, Sikkema KI. Cardiovascular reactivity in men as a function of masculine gender role stress. Biofeedback and Self-Regulation 13(1):94, 1988.
- Hannon R, Blalock J, Risi S, Bene C, Robisch C, Day CL. Computer-based cognitive rehabilitation with brain injured young adults. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology 1(3):271-271, 1986.
- Cofta-Woerpel, L, Lam C, Reitzel LR, Wilson W, Karam-Hage M, Beneventi D, Cofer J, Baker E, Wetter DW, Cinciripini PM, Blalock J. A Tele-mentoring tobacco cessation case consultation and education model for healthcare providers in community mental health centers. In: Prime Archives in Medicine. 2nd Edition. Vide Leaf Hyderabad: India, 2020.
- Coyne JC, Joiner TE Jr, Blalock JA. On the interpersonal nature of depression: Overview and synthesis. In: Interactional nature of depression: Advances in interpersonal approaches. American Psychological Association: Washington DC, 3-19, 1999.
|Title:||Study 1: The relationship between a potential genetic marker (DRD2A1 Allele) of nicotine abuse liability to psychological and pharmacological measures of nicotine dependence. Study 2: Genetics, mood, and nicotine withdrawal|
|Title:||Scheduled smoking with transdermal nicotine|
|Title:||Genetic factors in the modulation of mood by nicotine|
|Title:||A pilot study to evaluate a mood management smoking cessation intervention in depressed smokers|
|Funding Source:||The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|Title:||Developmental Project to 1 P50 CA91846: A study to evaluate the combination of scheduled smoking and Bupropion SR versus Bupropion SR alone for smoking cessation in bladder cancer patients|
|Title:||Sub Contract to: Pre-surgical smoking cessation intervention in cancer|
|Title:||Smoking cessation intervention for depressed smokers: Treatment development|
|Title:||Enhanced tobacco cessation program for university students|
|Title:||Administrative supplement to: Smoking cessation intervention for depressed smokers: Treatment development; entitled relationship of emotional reactivity to abstinence outcomes in smokers with current chronic depressive disorders|
|Title:||Optimizing the delivery of lifestyle interventions in cancer survivors|
|Role:||Project 3 Leader: Concurrent vs. sequential smoking and physical activity intervention for cancer survivors|
|Title:||Preliminary Effectiveness and Safety of Bupropion to Promote Smoking Cessation During Pregnancy|
|Funding Source:||The Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences (CCTS)|
|Title:||Innovative tobacco cessation intervention for oncology patients in Puerto Rico|
|Title:||A Phase 4, randomized, double-blind, active and placebo-controlled, multicenter study evaluating the neuropsychiatric safety and efficacy of 12 weeks varenicline tartrate 1 mg BID for smoking cessation in subjects with and without a history of psychiatric|
|Funding Source:||Pfizer Inc|
|Title:||Cancer Control Moonshot Platform Proposal: UT Dissemination|
|Title:||Cancer Control Moonshot platform proposal: Project TEACH|
|Title:||Lung Moonshot adult cessation project|
|Title:||Promoting long-term abstinence from smoking among cancer patients|
|Title:||Postpartum intervention for pregnant smokers: Feasibility of smartphone delivery|
|Title:||Development of a transdiagnostic emotional vulnerability smoking cessation intervention for cancer patients|
|Funding Source:||Duncan Family Institute Seed-funding Research Program|
|Title:||Integrated care-versus quitline interventions for smokers with mental health conditions|
|Funding Source:||Arnold Foundation|
|Title:||Varenicline and combined NRT for initial smoking cessation and rescue treatment in smokers. A randomized pilot trial|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||Increasing access to smoking cessation and smoke free home services for low-income pregnant women in northeast Texas|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||Gender differences in Standard Research E-Cigarette (SREC) product use, acceptability, reinforcement, and nicotine dependence symptoms|
|Title:||Pilot study to evaluate a behavioral activation prenatal and postpartum intervention for depressed pregnant smokers|
|Title:||CCSG supplement: DCPPS Expanding the reach of University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Tobacco Treatment Program|
|Title:||Expanding Tobacco Cessation in Northeast Texas|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||Optimizing Effectiveness of Smoking Cessation Invention During LDCT screening for Lung Cancer|