About Dr. Durand
Dr. Durand completed training in clinical and basic science. While completing his residency in internal medicine, at Loyola University School of Medicine in Chicago. He completed an American Heart Association/Bugher Foundation Fellowship in Molecular Biology investigating Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and Dilated Cardiomyopathy. He was awarded a Robert Woods Johnson Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine in Molecular Genetics. This body of work lead to Localization of a gene to Chromosome 1q32 and Identification of the gene as Troponin, one of the first genes for Familial dilated Cardiomyopathy.
After Completion of his clinical fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine, He also completed clinical fellowship in Immunology/Advanced Heart Failure/ Circulatory Support and Cardiac Transplantation. He served as Assistant Medical Director of the Heart Transplant Service at Baylor College of Medicine.
He was recruited to MD Anderson Cancer Center to establish a cardiomyopathy program and a fully integrated interventional cardiology program. He was the first to establish a cardiomyopathy service within a cancer hospital and was able to establish standards for cardioprotection prior to Anthracycline based therapies and investigate novel mechanisms which lead to recovery of cardiac function in chemotherapy induced cardiomyopathy from Anthracyclines, Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors and radiation induced cardiomyopathy.
Dr Durand developed the largest DNA/Tissue bank of Chemotherapy induced Cardiomyopathy to detect polymorphisms to predict risk of development of heart failure. He has developed the first cardiac device clinic at MD Anderson utilizing mobile device monitoring of patients with arrhythmias’ and heart failure. He has over 100 publications in peer reviewed journals.
He serves as an IRB Co-chair and is a national and international speaker for cardioncology, he was recently appointed to the American Heart Association New Cardioncology Council and serves as Co-PI on several clinical trials for Stem Cell Therapy for Anthracycline- induced Cardiomyopathy.
Professor, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
My major research is dedicated to understanding the molecular genetics of cardiomyopathies, primarily the identification of genes responsible for cardiomyopathy of all etiologies. My work also focuses on defining the molecular mechanisms involved in chemotherapy-induced cardiomyopathy. Limited studies have been conducted to define the genetic basis of why patients undergoing cancer treatment develop heart failure and respond to standard medical therapy for treatment of heart failure. I have established the world’s largest database of DNA from patients with heart failure secondary to chemotherapy and have future plans to perform genotyping to identify heart failure susceptibility genes which may predispose patients to development of left ventricular dysfunction and potentially response and recovery of cardiac function. To this date we now have over 600 samples and have plans on obtaining 3000 samples. In addition, I have also developed a tissue bank for further expression studies to identify critical pathways which are common to cancer biology and cardiovascular biology.
I was the first to establish a cardiomyopathy service within a cancer hospital and was able to establish standards for cardioprotection prior to Anthracycline based therapies and investigate novel mechanisms which lead to recovery of cardiac function in chemotherapy induced cardiomyopathy from Anthracyclines, Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors and radiation
I developed the first cardiac device clinic at MD Anderson utilizing mobile device monitoring of patients with arrhythmias’ and heart failure. I have over 100 publications in peer reviewed journals.
My areas of scientific interests also includes genotyping single nucleotide polymorphisms of Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor-related cardiomyopathy, and acute coronary syndromes in cancer patients with Thrombocytopenia
I serve as an IRB Co-chair and is a national and international speaker for cardioncology, I was recently appointed to the American Heart Association New Cardioncology Council and serves as Co-PI on several clinical trials for Stem Cell Therapy for Anthracycline- induced Cardiomyopathy.
|1988||Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1984||California State University, Long Beach, CA, USA, BS, Physiology and Chemistry|
|2008-2012||Executive Development Certificate, Management and Leadership, MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, MA|
|1996-1998||Research Fellowship, Cardiovascular Molecular Biology/Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1995-1997||Clinical Fellowship, Cardiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1992-1994||Research Fellowship, Cardiovascular Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1990-1991||Post-doctoral Fellow, Cardiovascular Basic Research, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL|
|1988-1992||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL|
|1999||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Professor, Texas A & M University, Houston, TX, 2018 - Present
- Hayek S, Brinkman TM, Plana JC, Joshi VM, Leupker RV, Durand JB, Green DM, Partin RE, Santucci AK, Howell RM, Srivastava DK, Hudson MM, Robison LL, Armstrong GT, Ness KK. Association of Exercise Intolerance With Emotional Distress, Attainment of Social Roles, and Health-Related Quality of Life Among Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer. JAMA Oncol 6(8):1194-1202, 2020. PMID: 32584369.
- Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Deswal A, Palaskas N, Song J, Lopez-Mattei J, Kim PY, Durand JB, Doundoua D, Marmagkiolis K, Iliescu C. Acute myocardial infarction in a high-risk cancer population: Outcomes following conservative versus invasive management. Int J Cardiol 313:1-8, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32320781.
- Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Kim PY, Buja LM, McNamara DM, Kobashigawa JA, Durand JB, Iliescu CA. Immunomodulatory treatment of immune checkpoint inhibitor-induced myocarditis: Pathway toward precision-based therapy. Cardiovasc Pathol 47:107211, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32268262.
- Agha AM, Gill C, Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Hassan S, Kim PY, Charitakis K, Cilingiroglu M, Oo TH, Kroll M, Durand JB, Hirsch-Ginsberg C, Marmagkiolis K, Iliescu C. Identifying Hemostatic Thresholds in Cancer Patients Undergoing Coronary Angiography Based on Platelet Count and Thromboelastography. Front Cardiovasc Med 7:9, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32118047.
- Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Durand JB, Iliescu C, Deswal A. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Myocarditis: Pathophysiological Characteristics, Diagnosis, and Treatment. J Am Heart Assoc 9(2):e013757, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 31960755.
- Zarifa A, Lopez-Mattei J, Palaskas N, Iliescu C, Durand JB, Kim PY. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors (ICIs)-Related Cardiotoxicity. Adv Exp Med Biol 1244:277-285, 2020. PMID: 32301022.
- Ness KK, Plana JC, Joshi VM, Luepker RV, Durand JB, Green DM, Partin RE, Santucci AK, Howell RM, Srivastava DK, Hudson MM, Robinson LL, Armstrong GT.. Exercise Intolerance, Mortality and Organ System Impairment in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer, 2019.
- Zarifa A, Albittar A, Kim PY, Hassan S, Palaskas N, Iliescu C, Durand JB, Lopez-Mattei J. Cardiac toxicities of anticancer treatments: chemotherapy, targeted therapy and immunotherapy. Curr Opin Cardiol 34(4):441-450, 2019. PMID: 31082852.
- Zarifa A, Albittar A, Kim PY, Hassan S, Palaskas N, Iliescu C, Durand JB, Lopez-Mattei J.. Cardiac Toxicites of Anticancer Treatments:Chemotherapy, Targeted Therapy and Immunotherapy, 2019.
- Zarifa A, Albittar A, Kim PY, Hassan S, Palaskas N, Iliescu C, Durand JB, Lopez-Mattei J.. Cardiac toxicities of anticancer treatments:chemotherapy, targeted therapy and immunotherapy, 2019.
- Tsai E, Mouhayar E, Lenihan D, Song J, Durand JB, Fadol A, Massey M, Harrison C, Basen-Engquist K. Feasibility and Outcomes of an Exercise Intervention for Chemotherapy-Induced Heart Failure. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev 39(3):199-203, 2019. PMID: 31022003.
- Tsai E, Mouhayar E, Lenihan D, Song J, Durand JB, Fadol A, Massey M, Harrison C, Basen-Engquist K.. Feasibility and Outcomes of an Excercise Intervention for Chemotherapy-Induced Heart Failure, 2019.
- Palaskas N, Morgan J, Daigle T, Banchs J, Durand JB, Hong D, Naing A, Le H, Hassan SA, Karimzad K, Mouhayar E, Kim P, Lopez-Mattei J, Thompson K, Yusuf SW, Iliescu C. Targeted Cancer Therapies With Pericardial Effusions Requiring Pericardiocentesis Focusing on Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors. Am J Cardiol 123(8):1351-1357, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30765065.
- Iliescu C, Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Giza DE, Muñoz Gonzalez ED, Cilingiroglu M, Song J, Mukerji SS, Lopez-Mattei JC, Kim PY, Palaskas N, Mouhayar EN, Durand JB, Marmagkiolis K. Safety of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Cardiac Catheterization in Cancer Patients With Acute Coronary Syndrome and Chronic Thrombocytopenia. Am J Cardiol 122(9):1465-1470, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30180958.
- Donisan T, Balanescu DV, Lopez-Mattei JC, Kim P, Leja MJ, Banchs J, Marmagkiolis K, Herrmann J, Gregoric I, Durand JB, Iliescu CA. In Search of a Less Invasive Approach to Cardiac Tumor Diagnosis: Multimodality Imaging Assessment and Biopsy. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 11(8):1191-1195, 2018. PMID: 30092973.
- Rima S, Poujade M, Maniglia M, Durand JB. Rewarding objects appear larger but not brighter. J Vis 18(7):9, 2018. PMID: 30029273.
- Palaskas N, Thompson K, Gladish G, Agha AM, Hassan S, Iliescu C, Kim P, Durand JB, Lopez-Mattei JC. Evaluation and Management of Cardiac Tumors. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 20(4):29, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29556752.
- Agha AM, Parwani P, Guha A, Durand JB, Iliescu CA, Hassan S, Palaskas NL, Gladish G, Kim PY, Lopez-Mattei J. Role of cardiovascular imaging for the diagnosis and prognosis of cardiac amyloidosis. Open Heart 5(2):e000881, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30305910.
- Lopez-Mattei J, Iliescu C, Durand JB, Hassan S, Kim P, Sierra-Galan L, Gladish G. The role of cardiac MRI in cardio-oncology. Future Cardiol 13(4):311-316, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28639454.
- Giza DE, Marmagkiolis K, Mouhayar E, Durand JB, Iliescu C. Management of CAD in Patients with Active Cancer: the Interventional Cardiologists' Perspective. Curr Cardiol Rep 19(6):56, 2017. PMID: 28484995.
- Armenian SH, Lacchetti C, Barac A, Carver J, Constine LS, Denduluri N, Dent S, Douglas PS, Durand JB, Ewer M, Fabian C, Hudson M, Jessup M, Jones LW, Ky B, Mayer EL, Moslehi J, Oeffinger K, Ray K, Ruddy K, Lenihan D. Prevention and Monitoring of Cardiac Dysfunction in Survivors of Adult Cancers: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Oncol 35(8):893-911, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27918725.
- Reuben A, Petaccia de Macedo M, McQuade J, Joon A, Ren Z, Calderone T, Conner B, Wani K, Cooper ZA, Tawbi H, Tetzlaff MT, Padera RF, Durand JB, Lazar AJ, Wargo JA, Davies MA. Comparative immunologic characterization of autoimmune giant cell myocarditis with ipilimumab. Oncoimmunology 6(12):e1361097, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29209563.
- Iliescu C, Khair T, Marmagkiolis K, Iliescu G, Durand JB. Echocardiography and Fluoroscopy-Guided Pericardiocentesis for Cancer Patients With Cardiac Tamponade and Thrombocytopenia. J Am Coll Cardiol 68(7):771-3, 2016. PMID: 27515340.
- Cortes JE, Jean Khoury H, Kantarjian H, Brümmendorf TH, Mauro MJ, Matczak E, Pavlov D, Aguiar JM, Fly KD, Dimitrov S, Leip E, Shapiro M, Lipton JH, Durand JB, Gambacorti-Passerini C. Long-term evaluation of cardiac and vascular toxicity in patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive leukemias treated with bosutinib. Am J Hematol 91(6):606-16, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26971533.
- Strati P, Kantarjian H, Ravandi F, Nazha A, Borthakur G, Daver N, Kadia T, Estrov Z, Garcia-Manero G, Konopleva M, Rajkhowa T, Durand M, Andreeff M, Levis M, Cortes J. Phase I/II trial of the combination of midostaurin (PKC412) and 5-azacytidine for patients with acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome. Am J Hematol 90(4):276-81, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25530214.
- Oki Y, Ewer MS, Lenihan DJ, Fisch MJ, Hagemeister FB, Fanale M, Romaguera J, Pro B, Fowler N, Younes A, Astrow AB, Huang X, Kwak LW, Samaniego F, McLaughlin P, Neelapu SS, Wang M, Fayad LE, Durand JB, Rodriguez MA. Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin replacing conventional doxorubicin in standard R-CHOP chemotherapy for elderly patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: an open label, single arm, phase II trial. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 15(3):152-8, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25445468.
- Yusuf SW, Sarfaraz A, Durand JB, Swafford J, Daher IN. Management and outcomes of severe aortic stenosis in cancer patients. Am Heart J 161(6):1125-32, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21641359.
- Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Durand JB, Iliescu C, Deswa A.. Checkpoint Inhibitor Myocarditis. e-Pub 2020.
- Upadhyay A, Yarlagadda S, Kaufman GP, Laeeq R, Nirmanmoh B, Zarifa A, Kim PY, Gilchrist S, Iliescu C, Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Lopez-Mattei J, Moudgil R, Thompson K, Thomas SK, Qazilbash M, Zhao B, Buja M, Yusuf SW, Palaskas N, Durand JB.. Cardiac Biomarkers and Echocardiographic Indices to Predict Survival outcomes in Cardiac Amyloidosis.