About Dr. Durand
Dr. Durand completed training in clinical and basic science. While completing his residency in internal medicine, at Loyola University School of Medicine in Chicago. He completed an American Heart Association/Bugher Foundation Fellowship in Molecular Biology investigating Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and Dilated Cardiomyopathy. He was awarded a Robert Woods Johnson Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine in Molecular Genetics. This body of work lead to Localization of a gene to Chromosome 1q32 and Identification of the gene as Troponin, one of the first genes for Familial dilated Cardiomyopathy.
After completion of his clinical fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine, He also completed clinical fellowship in Immunology/Advanced Heart Failure/ Circulatory Support and Cardiac Transplantation. He served as Assistant Medical Director of the Heart Transplant Service at Baylor College of Medicine.
He was recruited to MD Anderson Cancer Center to establish a cardiomyopathy program and a fully integrated interventional cardiology program. He was the first to establish a cardiomyopathy service within a cancer hospital and was able to establish standards for cardioprotection prior to Anthracycline based therapies and investigate novel mechanisms which lead to recovery of cardiac function in chemotherapy induced cardiomyopathy from Anthracyclines, Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors and radiation induced cardiomyopathy.
Dr. Durand developed the largest DNA/Tissue bank of Chemotherapy induced Cardiomyopathy to detect polymorphisms to predict risk of development of heart failure. He has developed the first cardiac device clinic at MD Anderson utilizing mobile device monitoring of patients with arrhythmias’ and heart failure. He has over 100 publications in peer reviewed journals.
He serves as an IRB Co-chair and is a national and international speaker for cardioncology, he was recently appointed to the American Heart Association New Cardioncology Council and serves as Co-PI on several clinical trials for Stem Cell Therapy for Anthracycline- induced Cardiomyopathy.
Professor, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
My major research is dedicated to understanding the molecular genetics of cardiomyopathies, primarily the identification of genes responsible for cardiomyopathy of all etiologies. My work also focuses on defining the molecular mechanisms involved in chemotherapy-induced cardiomyopathy. Limited studies have been conducted to define the genetic basis of why patients undergoing cancer treatment develop heart failure and respond to standard medical therapy for treatment of heart failure. I have established the world’s largest database of DNA from patients with heart failure secondary to chemotherapy and have future plans to perform genotyping to identify heart failure susceptibility genes which may predispose patients to development of left ventricular dysfunction and potentially response and recovery of cardiac function. To this date we now have over 600 samples and have plans on obtaining 3000 samples. In addition, I have also developed a tissue bank for further expression studies to identify critical pathways which are common to cancer biology and cardiovascular biology.
I was the first to establish a cardiomyopathy service within a cancer hospital and was able to establish standards for cardioprotection prior to Anthracycline based therapies and investigate novel mechanisms which lead to recovery of cardiac function in chemotherapy induced cardiomyopathy from Anthracyclines, Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors and radiation
I developed the first cardiac device clinic at MD Anderson utilizing mobile device monitoring of patients with arrhythmias’ and heart failure. I have over 100 publications in peer reviewed journals.
My areas of scientific interests also includes genotyping single nucleotide polymorphisms of Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor-related cardiomyopathy, and acute coronary syndromes in cancer patients with Thrombocytopenia
I serve as an IRB Co-chair and is a national and international speaker for cardioncology, I was recently appointed to the American Heart Association New Cardioncology Council and serves as Co-PI on several clinical trials for Stem Cell Therapy for Anthracycline- induced Cardiomyopathy.
|1988||Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1984||California State University, Long Beach, CA, USA, BS, Physiology and Chemistry|
|2008-2012||Executive Development Certificate, Management and Leadership, MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, MA|
|1996-1998||Research Fellowship, Cardiovascular Molecular Biology/Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1995-1997||Clinical Fellowship, Cardiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1992-1994||Research Fellowship, Cardiovascular Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1990-1991||Post-doctoral Fellow, Cardiovascular Basic Research, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL|
|1988-1992||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL|
|2006||American Board of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease|
|1999||American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine|
Professor, Texas A & M University, Houston, TX, 2018 - Present
Associate Professor / Tenure Track, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2017
Assistant Professor, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2000 - 2010
Co-Chair Patient Cardioncology Forum Heart House, American College of Cardiology Forum Heart House, Washington, DC, 2019 - Present
Interim Medical Director of Cath Lab, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 2015 - 2017
Graduate Medical Education Committee, Chair, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 2013 - Present
Co-Chair, Institutional Review Board, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 2013 - Present
Committee Chair, Department of Cardiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - Present
Chair, Multidisciplinary Cardiac Tumor Board, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - Present
Quality Officer, Department of Cardiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - Present
Quality Officer, Department of Cardiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2018
Rotation Program Director, Cardiology Fellowship Program, Department of Cardiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 2006 - 2017
Board Member, Institutional Review Board, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2001 - Present
Founder and Medical Director, Cardiomyopathy Service, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2000 - Present
Director, Cardiovascular Genetics Research, Department of Cardiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2000 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Associate, Clinical Alarm Safety Multidisciplinary Committee, 2014 - Present
Council Member, Executive Council- Institutional Review Board, 2002 - Present
Co-Chair, Institutional Review Board, 2001 - Present
Founder, Heart Success Cardiomyopathy Program, 2000 - Present
Cardiovascular Consultant, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, 2007 - Present
|2015||Distinguish Alumni Award, California State University Long Beach|
|2013||Best Teacher Award, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Cardiology Fellows|
|2010||Houston's Top Doctors, Houston Magazine|
|2005||Young Investigators Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2005||MD Anderson Cancer Center Young Investigators Symposium Top Ten Research Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
- Kim JW, Dayah TJ, Javaid A, Monlezun DJ, Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Karimzad K, Hakeem A, Boone DL, Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Kim PY, Durand JB, Song J, Balanescu SM, Yang EH, Herrmann J, Marmagkiolis K, Toutouzas K, Johnson NP, Iliescu CA. Reclassification of Treatment Strategy with Fractional Flow Reserve in Cancer Patients with Coronary Artery Disease. Medicina (Kaunas) 58(7), 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35888603.
- Palaskas NL, Segura A, Lelenwa L, Siddiqui BA, Subudhi SK, Lopez-Mattei J, Durand JB, Deswal A, Zhao B, Maximilian Buja L, Iliescu C. Immune checkpoint inhibitor myocarditis: elucidating the spectrum of disease through endomyocardial biopsy. Eur J Heart Fail 23(10):1725-1735, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34114291.
- Dixon SB, Howell CR, Lu L, Plana JC, Joshi VM, Luepker RV, Durand JB, Ky B, Lenihan DJ, Jefferies JL, Green DM, Ehrhardt MJ, Mulrooney DA, Folse TE, Partin RE, Santucci AK, Howell RM, Srivastava DK, Hudson MM, Robison LL, Ness KK, Armstrong GT. Cardiac biomarkers and association with subsequent cardiomyopathy and mortality among adult survivors of childhood cancer: A report from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort. Cancer 127(3):458-466, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33108003.
- Baurès R, Fourteau M, Thébault S, Gazard C, Pasquio L, Meneghini G, Perrin J, Rosito M, Durand JB, Roux FE. Time-to-contact perception in the brain. J Neurosci Res 99(2):455-466, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33070400.
- Goldberg JF, Ness KK, Chi X, Santucci AK, Plana JC, Joshi VM, Luepker RV, Durand JB, Partin RE, Howell RM, Wilson CL, Towbin JA, Jefferies JL, Srivastava DK, Hudson MM, Robison LL, Armstrong GT. Cardiovascular Family History Increases Risk for Late-Onset Adverse Cardiovascular Outcomes in Childhood Cancer Survivors: A St. Jude Lifetime Cohort Report. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 30(1):123-132, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33033146.
- De Castro V, Smith AT, Beer AL, Leguen C, Vayssière N, Héjja-Brichard Y, Audurier P, Cottereau BR, Durand JB. Connectivity of the Cingulate Sulcus Visual Area (CSv) in Macaque Monkeys. Cereb Cortex 31(2):1347-1364, 2021. PMID: 33067998.
- Ragoonanan D, Khazal SJ, Mejia R, Ewing L, Durand JB, Bashoura L, Tayar J, Dailey Garnes N, Petropoulos D, Tewari P, Bhatti M, Ahmad AH, Cortes J, Razvi S, McBeth K, Swinford R, Shoberu B, Waseemuddin W, Chi L, Gill JB, Zaky W, Daw N, Gutierrez C, Tereffe W, Kebriaei P, Rezvani K, Shpall EJ, Champlin RE, Mahadeo KM. Case Discussion and Literature Review: Cancer Immunotherapy, Severe Immune-Related Adverse Events, Multi-Inflammatory Syndrome, and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2. Front Oncol 11:625707, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33614514.
- Kim P, Masha L, Olson A, Iliescu C, Karimzad K, Hassan S, Palaskas N, Durand JB, Leung CH, Lopez-Mattei J. QT Prolongation in Cancer Patients. Front Cardiovasc Med 8:613625, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33718445.
- Agha AM, Palaskas N, Patel AR, DeCara J, Parwani P, Iliescu C, Durand JB, Kim P, Hassan S, Gladish G, Lee HC, Kaufman GP, Lopez-Mattei JC. Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Predicting Outcomes Among Patients at Risk for Cardiac AL Amyloidosis. Front Cardiovasc Med 8:626414, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34268341.
- Rivera D, Takahashi K, Durand JB, Ferrajoli A. Ibrutinib-Associated Cardiovascular Events in a Patient Wearing an Implanted Loop Recorder. Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis 13(1):e2021044, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34276913.
- Abdulla A, Durand JB, Lopez-Mattei J, Palaskas N. A Rare Case of Testicular Teratoma Metastasizing to the Right Ventricle. JACC Case Rep 3(1):117-119, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34317482.
- Heidari-Bateni G, Durand JB, Iliescu C, Gladish G, Deswal A, Patel AR, Kim P, Song J, Hassan S, Palaskas N, Baldassarre LA, Bucciarelli-Ducci C, Lopez-Mattei J. Clinical Impact of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance in Cancer Patients With Suspected Cardiomyopathy. Front Cardiovasc Med 8:734820, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34765654.
- Khalil M, Karimzad K, Durand JB, Malek AE, Raad II, Viola GM. Prevention of Cardiac Implantable Electronic Device-Related Infection in Patients With Cancer: The Role of a Comprehensive Prophylactic Bundle Approach That Includes the Antimicrobial Mesh. Open Forum Infect Dis 7(11):ofaa433, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33204750.
- Bolli R, Perin EC, Willerson JT, Yang PC, Traverse JH, Henry TD, Pepine CJ, Mitrani RD, Hare JM, Murphy MP, March KL, Ikram S, Lee DP, O'Brien C, Durand JB, Miller K, Lima JA, Ostovaneh MR, Ambale-Venkatesh B, Gee AP, Richman S, Taylor DA, Sayre SL, Bettencourt J, Vojvodic RW, Cohen ML, Simpson LM, Lai D, Aguilar D, Loghin C, Moyé L, Ebert RF, Davis BR, Simari RD, Cardiovascular Cell Therapy Research Network (CCTRN). Allogeneic Mesenchymal Cell Therapy in Anthracycline-Induced Cardiomyopathy Heart Failure Patients: The CCTRN SENECA Trial. JACC CardioOncol 2(4):581-595, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33403362.
- Hayek S, Brinkman TM, Plana JC, Joshi VM, Leupker RV, Durand JB, Green DM, Partin RE, Santucci AK, Howell RM, Srivastava DK, Hudson MM, Robison LL, Armstrong GT, Ness KK. Association of Exercise Intolerance With Emotional Distress, Attainment of Social Roles, and Health-Related Quality of Life Among Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer. JAMA Oncol 6(8):1194-1202, 2020. PMID: 32584369.
- Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Deswal A, Palaskas N, Song J, Lopez-Mattei J, Kim PY, Durand JB, Doundoua D, Marmagkiolis K, Iliescu C. Acute myocardial infarction in a high-risk cancer population: Outcomes following conservative versus invasive management. Int J Cardiol 313:1-8, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32320781.
- Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Kim PY, Buja LM, McNamara DM, Kobashigawa JA, Durand JB, Iliescu CA. Immunomodulatory treatment of immune checkpoint inhibitor-induced myocarditis: Pathway toward precision-based therapy. Cardiovasc Pathol 47:107211, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32268262.
- Ness KK, Plana JC, Joshi VM, Luepker RV, Durand JB, Green DM, Partin RE, Santucci AK, Howell RM, Srivastava DK, Hudson MM, Robison LL, Armstrong GT. Exercise Intolerance, Mortality and Organ System Impairment in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer. J Clin Oncol 38(1):29-42, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31622133.
- Agha AM, Gill C, Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Hassan S, Kim PY, Charitakis K, Cilingiroglu M, Oo TH, Kroll M, Durand JB, Hirsch-Ginsberg C, Marmagkiolis K, Iliescu C. Identifying Hemostatic Thresholds in Cancer Patients Undergoing Coronary Angiography Based on Platelet Count and Thromboelastography. Front Cardiovasc Med 7:9, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32118047.
- Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Durand JB, Iliescu C, Deswal A. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Myocarditis: Pathophysiological Characteristics, Diagnosis, and Treatment. J Am Heart Assoc 9(2):e013757, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 31960755.
- Zarifa A, Lopez-Mattei J, Palaskas N, Iliescu C, Durand JB, Kim PY. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors (ICIs)-Related Cardiotoxicity. Adv Exp Med Biol 1244:277-285, 2020. PMID: 32301022.
- Agha A, Zarifa A, Kim P, Iliescu C, Gladish G, Hassan S, Palaskas N, Durand JB, Lu Y, Lopez-Mattei J. The Role of Cardiovascular Imaging and Serum Biomarkers in Identifying Cardiotoxicity Related to Cancer Therapeutics. Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J 15(4):258-266, 2019. PMID: 31988686.
- Zarifa A, Albittar A, Kim PY, Hassan S, Palaskas N, Iliescu C, Durand JB, Lopez-Mattei J. Cardiac toxicities of anticancer treatments: chemotherapy, targeted therapy and immunotherapy. Curr Opin Cardiol 34(4):441-450, 2019. PMID: 31082852.
- Tsai E, Mouhayar E, Lenihan D, Song J, Durand JB, Fadol A, Massey M, Harrison C, Basen-Engquist K. Feasibility and Outcomes of an Exercise Intervention for Chemotherapy-Induced Heart Failure. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev 39(3):199-203, 2019. PMID: 31022003.
- Palaskas N, Morgan J, Daigle T, Banchs J, Durand JB, Hong D, Naing A, Le H, Hassan SA, Karimzad K, Mouhayar E, Kim P, Lopez-Mattei J, Thompson K, Yusuf SW, Iliescu C. Targeted Cancer Therapies With Pericardial Effusions Requiring Pericardiocentesis Focusing on Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors. Am J Cardiol 123(8):1351-1357, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30765065.
- Iliescu C, Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Giza DE, Muñoz Gonzalez ED, Cilingiroglu M, Song J, Mukerji SS, Lopez-Mattei JC, Kim PY, Palaskas N, Mouhayar EN, Durand JB, Marmagkiolis K. Safety of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Cardiac Catheterization in Cancer Patients With Acute Coronary Syndrome and Chronic Thrombocytopenia. Am J Cardiol 122(9):1465-1470, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30180958.
- Donisan T, Balanescu DV, Lopez-Mattei JC, Kim P, Leja MJ, Banchs J, Marmagkiolis K, Herrmann J, Gregoric I, Durand JB, Iliescu CA. In Search of a Less Invasive Approach to Cardiac Tumor Diagnosis: Multimodality Imaging Assessment and Biopsy. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 11(8):1191-1195, 2018. PMID: 30092973.
- Palaskas N, Thompson K, Gladish G, Agha AM, Hassan S, Iliescu C, Kim P, Durand JB, Lopez-Mattei JC. Evaluation and Management of Cardiac Tumors. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 20(4):29, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29556752.
- Agha AM, Parwani P, Guha A, Durand JB, Iliescu CA, Hassan S, Palaskas NL, Gladish G, Kim PY, Lopez-Mattei J. Role of cardiovascular imaging for the diagnosis and prognosis of cardiac amyloidosis. Open Heart 5(2):e000881, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30305910.
- Lopez-Mattei J, Iliescu C, Durand JB, Hassan S, Kim P, Sierra-Galan L, Gladish G. The role of cardiac MRI in cardio-oncology. Future Cardiol 13(4):311-316, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28639454.
- Abu Saleh WK, Ramlawi B, Shapira OM, Al Jabbari O, Ravi V, Benjamin R, Durand JB, Leja MJ, Blackmon SH, Bruckner BA, Reardon MJ. Improved Outcomes With the Evolution of a Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy Approach to Right Heart Sarcoma. Ann Thorac Surg 104(1):90-96, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28189277.
- Giza DE, Marmagkiolis K, Mouhayar E, Durand JB, Iliescu C. Management of CAD in Patients with Active Cancer: the Interventional Cardiologists' Perspective. Curr Cardiol Rep 19(6):56, 2017. PMID: 28484995.
- Armenian SH, Lacchetti C, Barac A, Carver J, Constine LS, Denduluri N, Dent S, Douglas PS, Durand JB, Ewer M, Fabian C, Hudson M, Jessup M, Jones LW, Ky B, Mayer EL, Moslehi J, Oeffinger K, Ray K, Ruddy K, Lenihan D. Prevention and Monitoring of Cardiac Dysfunction in Survivors of Adult Cancers: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Oncol 35(8):893-911, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27918725.
- Reuben A, Petaccia de Macedo M, McQuade J, Joon A, Ren Z, Calderone T, Conner B, Wani K, Cooper ZA, Tawbi H, Tetzlaff MT, Padera RF, Durand JB, Lazar AJ, Wargo JA, Davies MA. Comparative immunologic characterization of autoimmune giant cell myocarditis with ipilimumab. Oncoimmunology 6(12):e1361097, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29209563.
- Iliescu C, Khair T, Marmagkiolis K, Iliescu G, Durand JB. Echocardiography and Fluoroscopy-Guided Pericardiocentesis for Cancer Patients With Cardiac Tamponade and Thrombocytopenia. J Am Coll Cardiol 68(7):771-3, 2016. PMID: 27515340.
- Cortes JE, Jean Khoury H, Kantarjian H, Brümmendorf TH, Mauro MJ, Matczak E, Pavlov D, Aguiar JM, Fly KD, Dimitrov S, Leip E, Shapiro M, Lipton JH, Durand JB, Gambacorti-Passerini C. Long-term evaluation of cardiac and vascular toxicity in patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive leukemias treated with bosutinib. Am J Hematol 91(6):606-16, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26971533.
- Strati P, Kantarjian H, Ravandi F, Nazha A, Borthakur G, Daver N, Kadia T, Estrov Z, Garcia-Manero G, Konopleva M, Rajkhowa T, Durand M, Andreeff M, Levis M, Cortes J. Phase I/II trial of the combination of midostaurin (PKC412) and 5-azacytidine for patients with acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome. Am J Hematol 90(4):276-81, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25530214.
- Oki Y, Ewer MS, Lenihan DJ, Fisch MJ, Hagemeister FB, Fanale M, Romaguera J, Pro B, Fowler N, Younes A, Astrow AB, Huang X, Kwak LW, Samaniego F, McLaughlin P, Neelapu SS, Wang M, Fayad LE, Durand JB, Rodriguez MA. Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin replacing conventional doxorubicin in standard R-CHOP chemotherapy for elderly patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: an open label, single arm, phase II trial. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 15(3):152-8, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25445468.
- Bilen MA, Durand JB, McQuinn L, Hess KR, Fu S, Falchook GS, Hong DS, Wheler JJ, Said R, Ewer MS, Kurzrock R, Naing A. Evaluation of a novel blood pressure scoring method and its association with clinical response in cancer patients treated with anti-vascular endothelial growth factor therapy. Invest New Drugs 32(4):717-22, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24764123.
- Oliveira GH, Mukerji S, Hernandez AV, Qattan MY, Banchs J, Durand JB, Iliescu C, Plana JC, Tang WH. Incidence, predictors, and impact on survival of left ventricular systolic dysfunction and recovery in advanced cancer patients. Am J Cardiol 113(11):1893-8, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24837270.
- Bickford CL, Agarwal R, Urbauer DL, Durand JB, Lenihan DJ. Efficacy and Safety of Ibutilide for Chemical Cardioversion of Atrial Fibrillation and Atrial Flutter in Cancer Patients. Am J Med Sci 347(4):277-81, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23588261.
- Yusuf SW, Solhpour A, Banchs J, Lopez-Mattei JC, Durand JB, Iliescu C, Hassan SA, Qazilbash MH. Cardiac amyloidosis. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 12(2):265-77, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24386926.
- Armstrong GT, Oeffinger KC, Chen Y, Kawashima T, Yasui Y, Leisenring W, Stovall M, Chow EJ, Sklar CA, Mulrooney DA, Mertens AC, Border W, Durand JB, Robison LL, Meacham LR. Modifiable risk factors and major cardiac events among adult survivors of childhood cancer. J Clin Oncol 31(29):3673-80, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24002505.
- Mouhayar E, Durand JB, Cortes J. Cardiovascular toxicity of tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Expert Opin Drug Saf 12(5):687-96, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23560546.
- Yusuf SW, Sharma J, Durand JB, Banchs J. Endocarditis and myocarditis: a brief review. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 10(9):1153-64, 2012. PMID: 23098151.
- Armstrong GT, Plana JC, Zhang N, Srivastava D, Green DM, Ness KK, Daniel Donovan F, Metzger ML, Arevalo A, Durand JB, Joshi V, Hudson MM, Robison LL, Flamm SD. Screening Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer for Cardiomyopathy: Comparison of Echocardiography and Cardiac MRI. J Clin Oncol 30(23):2876-84, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22802310.
- Berri RN, Sahai SK, Durand JB, Lin HY, Folloder J, Rozner MA, Gottumukkala V, Katz MH, Lee JE, Fleming JB. Serum brain naturietic peptide measurements reflect fluid balance after pancreatectomy. J Am Coll Surg 214(5):778-87, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22440057.
- Yusuf SW, Daraban N, Abbasi N, Lei X, Durand JB, Daher IN. Treatment and outcomes of acute coronary syndrome in the cancer population. Clin Cardiol 35(7):443-50, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22588943.
- Daher IN, Daigle TR, Bhatia N, Durand JB. The prevention of cardiovascular disease in cancer survivors. Tex Heart Inst J 39(2):190-8, 2012. PMID: 22740730.
- Yusuf SW, Cipolla C, Durand JB, Lenihan DJ. Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease. Cardiology Research and Practice, 2011.
- Yusuf SW, Kim P, Durand JB. Erlotinib or gefitinib for non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 364(24):2367; author reply 2368, 2011. PMID: 21675910.
- Yusuf SW, Sarfaraz A, Durand JB, Swafford J, Daher IN. Management and outcomes of severe aortic stenosis in cancer patients. Am Heart J 161(6):1125-32, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21641359.
- Daher I, Banchs J, Yusuf SW, Mouhayar E, Durand JB, Gladish G. Impact of Cardiac Computed Tomographic Angiography Findings on Planning of Cancer Therapy in Patients with Concomitant Structural Heart Disease. Cardiology Research and Practice, 2011.
- Iliescu C, Durand JB, Kroll M. Cardiovascular interventions in thrombocytopenic cancer patients. Tex Heart Inst J 38(3):259-60, 2011. PMID: 21720465.
- Cabanillas ME, Hu MI, Durand JB, Busaidy NL. Challenges associated with tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapy for metastatic thyroid cancer. J Thyroid Res 2011:985780, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22007339.
- Huh WW, Jaffe N, Durand JB, Munsell MF, Herzog CE. Comparison of doxorubicin cardiotoxicity in pediatric sarcoma patients when given with dexrazoxane versus as continuous infusion. Pediatr Hematol Oncol 27(7):546-57, 2010. PMID: 20795769.
- Armenian SH, Sun CL, Mills G, Teh JB, Francisco L, Durand JB, Wong FL, Forman SJ, Bhatia S. Predictors of Late Cardiovascular Complications in Survivors of Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 16(8):1138-1144, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20197101.
- Maitland ML, Bakris GL, Black HR, Chen HX, Durand JB, Elliott WJ, Ivy SP, Leier CV, Lindenfeld J, Liu G, Remick SC, Steingart R, Tang WH, Cardiovascular Toxicities Panel, Convened by the Angiogenesis Task Force of the National Cancer Institute Investigational Drug Steering Committee. Initial assessment, surveillance, and management of blood pressure in patients receiving vascular endothelial growth factor signaling pathway inhibitors. J Natl Cancer Inst 102(9):596-604, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20351338.
- Yusuf SW, Gladish G, Lenihan DJ, Lei X, Durand JB, Swafford J, Daher IN. Computerized Tomographic Finding of Saddle Pulmonary Embolism is associated with High Mortality in Cancer Patients. Intern Med J 40(4):293-9, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19220554.
- Bathina JD, Daher IN, Plana JC, Durand JB, Yusuf SW. Acute myocardial infarction associated with nonbacterial thrombotic endocarditis. Tex Heart Inst J 37(2):208-12, 2010. PMID: 20401296.
- Yusuf SW, Iliescu C, Bathina JD, Daher IN, Durand JB. Antiplatelet therapy and percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with acute coronary syndrome and thrombocytopenia. Tex Heart Inst J 37(3):336-40, 2010. PMID: 20548817.
- Tam A, Ensor JE, Snyder H, Gupta S, Durand JB, Wallace MJ. Image-Guided Drainage of Pericardial Effusions in Oncology Patients. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 32(6):1217-26, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19472002.
- Kerkela R, Woulfe KC, Durand JB, Vagnozzi R, Kramer D, Chu TF, Beahm C, Chen MH, Force T. Sunitinib-induced cardiotoxicity is mediated by off-target inhibition of AMP-activated protein kinase. Clin Transl Sci 2(1):15-25, 2009. PMID: 20376335.
- Yusuf SW, Durand JB, Lenihan DJ, Swafford J. Dextrocardia: an incidental finding. Tex Heart Inst J 36(4):358-9, 2009. PMID: 19693317.
- Khakoo AY, Kassiotis CM, Tannir N, Plana JC, Halushka M, Bickford C, Trent J, Champion JC, Durand JB, Lenihan DJ. Heart failure associated with sunitinib malate: a multitargeted receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Cancer 112(11):2500-8, 2008. PMID: 18386829.
- Woodward WA, Durand JB, Tucker SL, Strom EA, Perkins GH, Oh J, Arriaga L, Domain D, Buchholz TA. Prospective analysis of carotid artery flow in breast cancer patients treated with supraclavicular irradiation 8 or more years previously: no increase in ipsilateral carotid stenosis after radiation noted. Cancer 112(2):268-73, 2008. PMID: 18000801.
- Atallah E, Durand JB, Kantarjian H, Cortes J. Congestive Heart Failure is a Rare Event in Patients Receiving Imatinib Therapy. Blood 110(4):1233-1237, 2007. PMID: 17449798.
- Sarkiss MG, Yusuf SW, Warneke CL, Botz G, Lakkis N, Hirch-Ginsburg C, Champion JC, Swafford J, Shaw AD, Lenihan DJ, Durand JB. Impact of aspirin therapy in cancer patients with thrombocytopenia and acute coronary syndromes. Cancer 109:621-7, 2007. PMID: 17167763.
- Yusuf SY, Durand JB, Lenihan DJ. Wrap Beats. Am J Med 120:417-419, 2007. PMID: 17466651.
- Guarneri V, Lenihan DJ, Valero V, Durand JB, Broglio K, Hess KR, Michaud LB, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Hortobagyi GN, Esteva FJ. Long-term cardiac tolerability of trastuzumab in metastatic breast cancer: the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center experience. J Clin Oncol 24:4107-15, 2006. PMID: 16908934.
- Yusuf SW, Ali SS, Swafford J, Durand JB, Bodey GP, Chemaly RF, Kontoyiannis DP, Tarrand J, Rolston KV, Yeh E, Raad II, Safdar. Culture-positive and culture-negative endocarditis in patients with cancer: a retrospective observational study 1994-2004. Medicine (Baltimore) 85:86-94, 2006. PMID: 16609347.
- Kerkela R, Grazette L, Yacobi R, Iliescu C, Patten R, Beahm C, Walters B, Shevtsov S, Pesant S, Clubb FJ, Rosenzweig A, Salomon RN, Van Etten R, Alroy J, Durand JB, Force. Cardiotoxicity of the chemotherapeutic agent, imatinib mesylate. Nature Medicine 12:908-916, 2006. PMID: 16862153.
- Ewer M, Vooletich M, Durand JB, Woods ML, Davis JR, Valero V, Lenihan DJ. Reversibility of Trastuzumab-Related Cardiotoxicity: New Insights based on Clinical Course and Response to Medical Treatment. Journal of Clinical Oncology 23:7820-7826, 2005. PMID: 16258084.
- Yeh ET, Tong AT, Lenihan DJ, Yusuf SW, Swafford J, Champion C, Durand JB, Gibbs H, Zafarmand AA, Ewer MS. Cardiovascular complications of cancer therapy: diagnosis, pathogenesis, and management. Circulation 109:3122-31, 2004. PMID: 15226229.
- Wong R, Durand JB, Luna MA, Couriel DR, Gajewski JL. Images in cardiovascular medicine. Constrictive pericarditis in a patient with relapsed acute myelogenous leukemia after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Circulation 109:e146-9, 2004. PMID: 15007019.
- Li D, Czernuszewicz GZ, Gonzalez O, Tapscott T, Karibe A, Durand JB, Brugada R, Hill R, Gregoritch JM, Anderson JL, Quinones M, Bachinski LL, Roberts R. Novel cardiac troponin T mutation as a cause of familial dilated cardiomyopathy. Circulation 104:2188-93, 2001. PMID: 11684629.
- Torre-Amione G, Durand JB, Nagueh S, Vooletich MT, Kobrin I, Pratt C. A pilot safety trial of prolonged (48 h) infusion of the dual endothelin-receptor antagonist tezosentan in patients with advanced heart failure. Chest 120:460-6, 2001. PMID: 11502644.
- Torre-Amione, G, Young JB, Durand JB, Bozkurt B, Kobrin I, Pratt C. Hemodynamic Effects of Tezosentan, an Intravenous Endothelin-1 Receptor Antagonist, in Patients with Class III-IV Congestive Heart Failure. Circulation 103:1844-1850, 2001.
- Torre-Amione, G, Stetson SJ, Youker KA, Durand JB, Lakkis NM, Killip D, Entman ML, Nagueh SF, Spencer WH III. Decreased Expression of Tumor Necrosis Factor and Regression of Hypertrophy Following Non-Surgical Septal Reduction Therapy for Patients with Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy. Circulation 103:973-980, 2001.
- Durand, JB. The Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation Study Investigators, Effects of an Angiotensin-Converting-Enzyme Inhibitor,Ramipril, on Cardiovascular Events in High-Risk Patients. N Engl J Med 342:145-153, 2000.
- Herrera Garza E, Noon GP, Durand JB, Stetson SJ, Zylicz S, Johnson L, Cano Nino R, Herrera Flores F, Torre-Amione G. Heterotopic heart transplantation: 13-year experience at the Methodist Hospital of the Baylor Medical College]. Arch Inst Cardiol Mex 69:526-33, 1999. PMID: 10742849.
- Torre-Amione G, Stetson SJ, Youker KA, Durand JB, Radovancevic B, Delgado RM, Frazier OH, Entman ML, Noon GP. Decreased expression of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in failing human myocardium after mechanical circulatory support : A potential mechanism for cardiac recovery. Circulation 100:1189-93, 1999. PMID: 10484539.
- Knowlton AA, Kapadia S, Torre-Amione G, Durand JB, Bies R, Young J, Mann DL. Differential expression of heat shock proteins in normal and failing human hearts. J Mol Cell Cardiol 30:811-8, 1998. PMID: 9602430.
- Spencer WH, 3rd, Zhu DW, Kirkpatrick C, Killip D, Durand JB. Subclavian venogram as a guide to lead implantation. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 21:499-502, 1998. PMID: 9558679.
- Durand J-B. The Pursuit Trial Investigators Clinical Events Committee). Inhibition of platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa with eptifibatide in patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 339:436-443, 1998.
- Bachinski LL, Abchee A, Durand JB, Roberts R, Krahe R, Hobson GM. Polymorphic trinucleotide repeat in the MEF2A gene at 15q26 is not expanded in familial cardiomyopathies. Mol Cell Probes 11:55-8, 1997. PMID: 9076715.
- Torre-Amione G, Kapadia S, Lee J, Durand JB, Bies RD, Young JB, Mann DL. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha and tumor necrosis factor receptors in the failing human heart. Circulation 93:704-711, 1996. PMID: 8640999.
- Durand JB, Abchee AB, Roberts R. Molecular and clinical aspects of inherited cardiomyopathies. Ann Med 27:311-320, 1995. PMID: 7546620.
- Durand JB, Bachinski LL, Bieling BS, Czernuszewicz GZ, Abchee AB, Yu QT, Tapscott T, Hill R, Ifegwu J, Marian AJ, Brugada R, Daiger S, Gregoritch JM, Anderson J, Quinones M, Towbin JA, Roberts R.. Localization of the gene responsible for familial idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy to chromosome 1q32. Circulation 92:3387-3389, 1995. PMID: 8521556.
- Eleftheriades E, Durand J-B, Ferguson A, Engelmann G, Jones S, Samarel A.. Regulation of procollagen metabolism In the pressure-overloaded rat heart. J Clin Invest 91:1113-1122, 1993.
- Blumberg MS, Moltz H. Hypothalamic temperature and the 22 kHz vocalization of the male rat. Physiol Behav 40(5):637-40, 1987. PMID: 3671529.
- Upadhyay A, Yarlagadda S, Kaufman GP, Laeeq R, Nirmanmoh B, Zarifa A, Kim PY, Gilchrist S, Iliescu C, Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Lopez-Mattei J, Moudgil R, Thompson K, Thomas SK, Qazilbash M, Zhao B, Buja M, Yusuf SW, Palaskas N, Durand JB.. Cardiac Biomarkers and Echocardiographic Indices to Predict Survival outcomes in Cardiac Amyloidosis.
- Mulrooney DA, Nunnery SE, Armstrong GT, Ness KK, Srivastava D, Donovan FD, Kurt BA, Metzger ML, Krasin MJ, Joshi V, Durand JB, Robison LL, Hudson MM, Flamm SD. Coronary artery disease detected by coronary computed tomography angiography in adult survivors of childhood Hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25041978.
|Title:||Phase I Prevention study of Atorvastin in Women at increased risk of breast cancer|
|Title:||A Phase I, First In Human, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blinded, Placebo Controlled Study of Safety and Efficacy of Allogeneic Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Cancer Survivors with Anthracycline-Induced Cardiomyopathy. AKA Stem Cell Injection in Cancer Survivors (SENECA)|
|Title:||Intravenous Administration of Allogeneic Bone Marrow Derived Multipotent Mesenchymal Stromal Cells (MSCs) in Patients with Recent Onset Anthracycline-Associated Cardiomyopathy 2014-0519|
|Funding Source:||Texas Medical Center Regenerative Medicine Funding|