About Dr. Durand
Medical Director of Cardiomyopathy Services
Director of Cardiovascular Genetics Research
Director of Cardiology Fellowship Program
Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine
Staff, Heart Failure/Heart Failure Transplant Service at St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital
Founder of the worlds first heart failure program dedicated to cardiotoxicity and cancer
Instructor of Medicine/Assistant Medical Director Heart Transplant Services
Baylor College of Medicine/The Methodist Hospital
Advanced Training in Transplantation Medicine and Immunology
Houston, Texas 1997-1999
My major research is dedicated to understanding the molecular genetics of cardiomyopathies, primarily the identification of genes responsible for cardiomyopathy of all etiologies. My work also focuses on defining the molecular mechanisms involved in chemotherapy-induced cardiomyopathy. Limited studies have been conducted to define the genetic basis of why patients undergoing cancer treatment develop heart failure and respond to standard medical therapy for treatment of heart failure. I have established the worlds largest database of DNA from patients with heart failure secondary to chemotherapy and have future plans to perform genotyping to identify heart failure susceptibility genes which may predispose patients to development of left ventricular dysfunction and potentially response and recovery of cardiac function. To this date we now have over 600 samples and have plans on obtaining 3000 samples. In addition, I have also developed a tissue bank for further expression studies to identify critical pathways which are common to cancer biology and cardiovascular biology.
My areas of scientific interests also includes genotyping single nucleotide polymorphisms of Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor-related cardiomyopathy, and acute coronary syndromes in cancer patients with Thrombocytopenia.
|1988||Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1984||California State University, Long Beach, CA, USA, BS, Physiology and Chemistry|
|2008-2012||Executive Development Certificate, Management and Leadership, MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, MA|
|1996-1998||Research Fellowship, Cardiovascular Molecular Biology/Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1995-1997||Clinical Fellowship, Cardiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1992-1994||Research Fellowship, Cardiovascular Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1990-1991||Post-doctoral Fellow, Cardiovascular Basic Research, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL|
|1988-1992||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL|
|1999||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Associate Professor / Tenure Track, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2017
- Strati P, Kantarjian H, Ravandi F, Nazha A, Borthakur G, Daver N, Kadia T, Estrov Z, Garcia-Manero G, Konopleva M, Rajkhowa T, Durand M, Andreeff M, Levis M, Cortes J. Phase I/II trial of the combination of midostaurin (PKC412) and 5-azacytidine for patients with acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome. Am J Hematol 90(4):276-81, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25530214.
- Yusuf SW, Sarfaraz A, Durand JB, Swafford J, Daher IN. Management and outcomes of severe aortic stenosis in cancer patients. Am Heart J 161(6):1125-32, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21641359.
- Iliescu C, Durand JB, Kroll M. Cardiovascular interventions in thrombocytopenic cancer patients. Tex Heart Inst J 38(3):259-60, 2011. PMID: 21720465.
- Huh WW, Jaffe N, Durand JB, Munsell MF, Herzog CE. Comparison of doxorubicin cardiotoxicity in pediatric sarcoma patients when given with dexrazoxane versus as continuous infusion. Pediatr Hematol Oncol 27(7):546-57, 2010. PMID: 20795769.
- Armenian SH, Sun CL, Mills G, Teh JB, Francisco L, Durand JB, Wong FL, Forman SJ, Bhatia S. Predictors of Late Cardiovascular Complications in Survivors of Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 16(8):1138-1144, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20197101.
- Yusuf SW, Gladish G, Lenihan DJ, Lei X, Durand JB, Swafford J, Daher IN. Computerized Tomographic Finding of Saddle Pulmonary Embolism is associated with High Mortality in Cancer Patients. Intern Med J 40(4):293-9, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19220554.
- Tam A, Ensor JE, Snyder H, Gupta S, Durand JB, Wallace MJ. Image-Guided Drainage of Pericardial Effusions in Oncology Patients. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 32(6):1217-26, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19472002.
- Khakoo AY, Kassiotis CM, Tannir N, Plana JC, Halushka M, Bickford C, Trent J, Champion JC, Durand JB, Lenihan DJ. Heart failure associated with sunitinib malate: a multitargeted receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Cancer 112(11):2500-8, 2008. PMID: 18386829.
- Woodward WA, Durand JB, Tucker SL, Strom EA, Perkins GH, Oh J, Arriaga L, Domain D, Buchholz TA. Prospective analysis of carotid artery flow in breast cancer patients treated with supraclavicular irradiation 8 or more years previously: no increase in ipsilateral carotid stenosis after radiation noted. Cancer 112(2):268-73, 2008. PMID: 18000801.
- Atallah E, Durand JB, Kantarjian H, Cortes J. Congestive Heart Failure is a Rare Event in Patients Receiving Imatinib Therapy. Blood 110(4):1233-1237, 2007. PMID: 17449798.
- Sarkiss MG, Yusuf SW, Warneke CL, Botz G, Lakkis N, Hirch-Ginsburg C, Champion JC, Swafford J, Shaw AD, Lenihan DJ, Durand JB. Impact of aspirin therapy in cancer patients with thrombocytopenia and acute coronary syndromes. Cancer 109:621-7, 2007. PMID: 17167763.
- Guarneri V, Lenihan DJ, Valero V, Durand JB, Broglio K, Hess KR, Michaud LB, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Hortobagyi GN, Esteva FJ. Long-term cardiac tolerability of trastuzumab in metastatic breast cancer: the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center experience. J Clin Oncol 24:4107-15, 2006. PMID: 16908934.
- Kerkela R, Grazette L, Yacobi R, Iliescu C, Patten R, Beahm C, Walters B, Shevtsov S, Pesant S, Clubb FJ, Rosenzweig A, Salomon RN, Van Etten R, Alroy J, Durand JB, Force. Cardiotoxicity of the chemotherapeutic agent, imatinib mesylate. Nature Medicine 12:908-916, 2006. PMID: 16862153.
- Ewer M, Vooletich M, Durand JB, Woods ML, Davis JR, Valero V, Lenihan DJ. Reversibility of Trastuzumab-Related Cardiotoxicity: New Insights based on Clinical Course and Response to Medical Treatment. Journal of Clinical Oncology 23:7820-7826, 2005. PMID: 16258084.
- Yeh ET, Tong AT, Lenihan DJ, Yusuf SW, Swafford J, Champion C, Durand JB, Gibbs H, Zafarmand AA, Ewer MS. Cardiovascular complications of cancer therapy: diagnosis, pathogenesis, and management. Circulation 109:3122-31, 2004. PMID: 15226229.
- Wong R, Durand JB, Luna MA, Couriel DR, Gajewski JL. Images in cardiovascular medicine. Constrictive pericarditis in a patient with relapsed acute myelogenous leukemia after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Circulation 109:e146-9, 2004. PMID: 15007019.
- Li D, Czernuszewicz GZ, Gonzalez O, Tapscott T, Karibe A, Durand JB, Brugada R, Hill R, Gregoritch JM, Anderson JL, Quinones M, Bachinski LL, Roberts R. Novel cardiac troponin T mutation as a cause of familial dilated cardiomyopathy. Circulation 104:2188-93, 2001. PMID: 11684629.
- Durand JB, Bachinski LL, Bieling BS, Czernuszewicz GZ, Abchee AB, Yu QT, Tapscott T, Hill R, Ifegwu J, Marian AJ, Brugada R, Daiger S, Gregoritch JM, Anderson J, Quinones M, Towbin JA, Roberts R.. Localization of the gene responsible for familial idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy to chromosome 1q32. Circulation 92:3387-3389, 1995. PMID: 8521556.