About Dr. Vauthey
Dr. Vauthey’s clinical research focuses on methods to measure and to improve outcome after hepatic resection for hepatobiliary malignancies. Dr. Vauthey proposed a standardized method for calculating the volume of the anticipated liver remnant prior to liver surgery. This method of measurement is used to compare patients prior to liver resection to determine the need for preoperative portal vein embolization. Dr. Vauthey critically analyzed the staging system for hepatocellular carcinoma and based on his work, the American Joint Committee on Cancer and the International Union Against Cancer adopted a new simplified staging systems for hepatocellular carcinoma. Dr. Vauthey is Chair of The American Joint Committee on Cancer Hepatobiliary and Pancreas Task Force for the 8th Edition of the Manual for Staging Cancer. Dr. Vauthey has evaluated the use of preoperative chemotherapy in the multidisciplinary treatment of patients with hepatic colorectal metastases. He has pioneered the use of 2‑stage hepatectomy for patients with advanced metastatic colorectal carcinoma to liver. Dr. Vauthey’s most recent work has focused on somatic mutations and their role in defining response, treatment and prognosis after resection of colorectal liver metastases. Dr. Vauthey is the author of a treatment algorithm for hepatic colorectal liver metastases.
Dr. Vauthey organized and chaired symposia at national and international meetings. Dr. Vauthey is the past President of the Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association. Dr Vauthey is on the Board of Trustees of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. Dr. Vauthey co-authored more than 430 publications in peer-reviewed journals and more than 85 reviews and book chapters in major textbooks. Dr. Vauthey is editor of major textbooks devoted to hepatobiliary cancers. Dr. Vauthey is on the editorial board of the Journal of the American College of Surgeons, Surgery, Annals of Surgery, Annals of Surgical Oncology and the Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery.
Dr. Vauthey is the recipient of the prestigious 2011 Faculty Achievement Award in Patient Care for his commitment to the mission of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer.
Chief, Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Section, Department of Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1983||Lausanne University Medical School, Lausanne, CHE, MD, Medical Doctor Thesis|
|1979||Lausanne University Medical School, Lausanne, CHE, MD, Swiss Federal Medical Diploma|
|1973||Gymnase of Vevey, Vevey, CHE, BA, Physics and Biology|
|1990||American Board of Surgery|
Chair, Hepatobiliary Expert Panel, AJCC Cancer Staging Manual 8th Edition, Chicago, IL, 2013 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Co-Chair, Cholangiocarcinoma Institutional Working Group, 2013 - Present
Bessie McGoldrick Professor in Clinical Cancer Research, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2018
|2017||European Surgical Association, Honorary Member|
|2017||Thoma E Weiss Outstanding Alumnus, Ochsner Medical Center|
|2017||Portuguese Surgical Society, Honorary Member, Congresso Nacional De Cirurgia|
|2017||Outstanding Teacher Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||The European Society of Surgical Oncology Medal, ESSO 34 -BASO 2014 Congress, October 29-31|
|2012||Cancer Fighters' Eagle Award, Cancer Fighters of Houston, Inc|
|2011||Faculty Achievement Award in Patient Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2011||Apple Award, MD Anderson Patient Education Office and the Health Education Week 2011 Committee|
|2006||Center for Biomedical Engineering Summer Internship Program Excellence in Teaching Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2005||America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd|
|2001||Merit Award, National Health Information Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
- Yamashita S, Vauthey JN, Kaseb AO, Aloia TA, Conrad C, Hassan MM, Passot G, Raghav KP, Shama MA, Chun YS. Prognosis of fibrolamellar carcinoma compared to non-cirrhotic conventional hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg 20(10):1725-1731, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27456016.
- Ribero D, Zimmitti G, Aloia TA, Shindoh J, Forchino F, Amisano M, Passot G, Ferrero A, Vauthey JN. Preoperative cholangitis and future liver remnant volume determine the risk of liver failure in patients undergoing resection for hilar cholangiocarcinoma. J Am Coll Surg 223(1):87-97, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27049784.
- Passot G, Chun YS, Kopetz SE, Zorzi D, Brudvik KW, Kim BJ, Conrad C, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. Predictors of safety and efficacy of 2-Stage hepatectomy for bilateral colorectal liver metastases. J Am Coll Surg 223(1):99-109, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26968325.
- Mise Y, Passot G, Wang X, Chen HC, Brudvik KW, Aloia TA, Conrad C, Huang SY, Vauthey JN. A nomogram to predict hypertrophy of liver segments 2 and 3 after right portal vein embolization. J Gastrointest Surg 20(7):1317-1323, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27073080.
- Mise Y, Vauthey JN, Zimmitti G, Parker NH, Conrad C, Aloia TA, Lee JE, Fleming JB, Katz MH. Ninety-day postoperative mortality is a legitimate measure of hepatopancreatobiliary surgical quality. Ann Surg 262(6):1071-1078, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25590497.
- Brudvik KW, Kopetz SE, Li L, Conrad C, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. Meta-analysis of KRAS mutations and survival after resection of colorectal liver metastases. Br J Surg 102(10):1175-1183, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26206254.
- Mansour JC, Aloia TA, Crane CH, Heimbach JK, Nagino M, Vauthey JN. Hilar Cholangiocarcinoma: expert consensus statement. HPB (Oxford) 17(8):691-699, 2015. PMID: 26172136.
- Mise Y, Zimmitti G, Shindoh J, Kopetz S, Loyer EM, Andreou A, Cooper AB, Kaur H, Aloia TA, Maru DM, Vauthey JN. RAS mutations predict radiologic and pathologic response in patients treated with chemotherapy before resection of colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg Oncol 22(3):834-42, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25227306.
- Shindoh J, Tzeng CW, Aloia TA, Curley SA, Huang SY, Mahvash A, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Vauthey JN. Safety and efficacy of portal vein embolization before planned major or extended hepatectomy: an institutional experience of 358 patients. J Gastrointest Surg 18(1):45-51, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24129824.
- Vauthey JN, Zimmitti G, Kopetz SE, Shindoh J, Chen SS, Andreou A, Curley SA, Aloia TA, Maru DM. RAS mutation status predicts survival and patterns of recurrence in patients undergoing hepatectomy for colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg 258(4):619-627, 2013. PMID: 24018645.
- Adams RB, Aloia TA, Loyer E, Pawlik TM, Taouli B, Vauthey JN, Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association, Society of Surgical Oncology, Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. Selection for hepatic resection of colorectal liver metastases: expert consensus statement. HPB (Oxford) 15(2):91-103, 2013. PMID: 23297719.
- Shindoh J, Kaseb A, Vauthey JN. Surgical strategy for liver cancers in the era of effective chemotherapy. Liver Cancer 2(1):47-54, 2013. PMID: 24159596.
- Shindoh J, Loyer EM, Kopetz S, Boonsirikamchai P, Maru DM, Chun YS, Zimmitti G, Curley SA, Charnsangavej C, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. Optimal morphologic response to preoperative chemotherapy an alternate outcome end point before resection of hepatic colorectal metastases. J Clin Oncol 30(36):4566-4572, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23150701.
- Shindoh J, D Tzeng CW, Vauthey JN. Portal vein embolization for hepatocellular carcinoma. Liver Cancer 1(3):159-167, 2012. PMID: 24159580.
- Andreou A, Kopetz S, Maru DM, Chen SS, Zimmitti G, Brouquet A, Shindoh J, Curley SA, Garrett C, Overman MJ, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. Adjuvant chemotherapy with FOLFOX for primary colorectal cancer is associated with increased somatic gene mutations and inferior survival in patients undergoing hepatectomy for metachronous liver metastases. Ann Surg 256(4):642-650, 2012. PMID: 22968062.
- Jones RP, Vauthey JN, Adam R, Rees M, Berry D, Jackson R, Grimes N, Fenwick SW, Poston GJ, Malik HZ. Effect of specialist decision-making on treatment strategies for colorectal liver metastases. Br J Surg 99(9):1283-1289, 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Glazer ES, Liu P, Abdalla EK, Vauthey JN, Curley SA. Neither neoadjuvant nor adjuvant therapy increases survival after biliary tract cancer resection with wide negative margins. J Gastrointest Surg 16(9):1666-1671, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22777053.
- Truty MJ, Thomas RM, Katz MH, Vauthey JN, Crane C, Varadhachary GR, Wolff RA, Abbruzzese JL, Lee JE, Fleming JB. Multimodality therapy offers a chance for cure in patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma deemed unresectable at first operative exploration. J Am Coll Surg 215(1):41-52, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22608401.
- Brouquet A, Andreou A, Vauthey JN. The management of solitary colorectal liver metastases. Surgeon 9(5):265-272, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21843821.
- Andreou A, Aloia TA, Brouquet A, Vauthey JN. Recent advances in the curative treatment of colorectal liver metastases. Gastrointest Cancer Res 4(4 Suppl 1):S2-8, 2011. PMID: 22368730.
- Brouquet A, Vauthey JN, Contreras CM, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Curley SA, Mehran RJ, Abdalla EK. Improved survival after resection of liver and lung colorectal metastases compared with liver-only metastases: a study of 112 patients with limited lung metastatic disease. J Am Coll Surg 213(1):62-9; discussion 69-71, 2011. PMID: 21700179.
- Vauthey JN, Dixon E, Abdalla EK, Helton WS, Pawlik TM, Taouli B, Brouquet A, Adams RB. Pretreatment assessment of hepatocellular carcinoma: expert consensus statement. HPB (Oxford) 12(5):289-299, 2010.
- Truty, MJ, Vauthey JN. Surgical resection of high-risk hepatocellular carcinoma: patient selection, preoperative considerations, and operative technique. Ann Surg Oncol 17(5):1219-1225, 2010.
- Kishi Y, Kopetz S, Chun YS, Palavecino M, Abdalla EK, Vauthey JN. Blood neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio predicts survival in patients with colorectal liver metastases treated with systemic chemotherapy. Ann Surg Oncol 16(3):614-622, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19130139.
- Chun YS, Laurent A, Maru D, Vauthey JN. Management of chemotherapy-associated hepatotoxicity in colorectal liver metastases. Lancet Oncol 10(3):278-286, 2009. PMID: 19261256.
- Vauthey JN, Pawlik TM, Ribero D, Wu TT, Zorzi D, Hoff PM, Xiong HQ, Eng C, Lauwers GY, Mino-Kenudson M, Risio M, Muratore A, Capussotti L, Curley SA, Abdalla EK. Chemotherapy regimen predicts steatohepatitis and an increase in 90-day mortality after surgery for hepatic colorectal metastases. J Clin Oncol 24:2065-72, 2006. PMID: 16648507.
- Vauthey JN, Zorzi D, Pawlik TM. Making unresectable hepatic colorectal metastases resectable--does it work?. Semin Oncol 32(6 Suppl 9):S118-22, 2005. PMID: 16399448.
- Aloia TA, Zorzi D, Abdalla EK, Vauthey JN. Two-surgeon technique for hepatic parenchymal transection of the noncirrhotic liver using saline-linked cautery and ultrasonic dissection. Ann Surg 242(2):172-7, 2005. PMID: 16041206.
- Yamashita S, Chun YS, Kopetz SE, Vauthey JN. Biomarkers in colorectal liver metastases. Br J Surg. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29579319.
- Yamashita S, Sheth RA, Niekamp AS, Aloia TA, Chun YS, Lee JE, Vauthey JN, Conrad C. Comprehensive complication index predicts cancer-specific survival after resection of colorectal metastases independent of RAS mutational status. Ann Surg. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27735824.
- Passot G, Odisio BC, Zorzi D, Mahvash A, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Kim BJ, Yamashita S, Conrad C, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN, Chun YS. Eradication of missing liver metastases after fiducial placement. J Gastrointest Surg. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26791387.
- Brudvik KW, Mise Y, Chung MH, Chun YS, Kopetz SE, Passot G, Conrad C, Maru DM, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. RAS mutation predicts positive resection margins and narrower resection margins in patients undergoing resection of colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg Oncol. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27016292.
- Passot G, Vauthey JN. In favor of two-stage hepatectomy (TSH). Eur J Surg Oncol 41(12):1566-1567, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26409952.
- Brudvik KW, Vauthey JN. Peeling off technique or bile duct resection of tumor thrombus in hepatocellular carcinoma. Does future liver directed treatment justify less extensive surgery?. Ann Surg 261(5):e126, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25775077.
- Vauthey JN, Pawlik TM. Invited Critique - Preoperative biopsy evaluation of chemotherapy-associated liver injuries: looking for a needle in a hay-stack?. Arch Surg 147(12):1092, 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Vauthey JN, Kopetz SE. From multidisciplinary to personalized treatment of colorectal liver metastases: 4 reasons to consider RAS. Cancer 119(23):4083-4085, 2013. PMID: 24105015.
- Tzeng CW, Vauthey JN. Postoperative complications and oncologic outcomes after resection of colorectal liver metastases: the importance of staying on track. Ann Surg Oncol 20(8):2457-2459, 2013. PMID: 23579874.
- Vauthey JN, Zimmitti G, Shindo J. From Couinaud to Molecular Biology: The Seven Virtues of HPB Surgery. HPB(14):493-499, 2012.
- Vauthey JN. Colorectal liver metastases: treat effectively upfront and consider the borderline resectable. J Clin Oncol 25(29):4524-4525, 2007.
- Shindoh J, Vauthey JN. Hepatic Neoplasms. Section: Hepatobiliary and Portal Venous System. In: Greenfield's Surgery: Scientific Principles & Practice. 6th. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia, 975-996, 2017.
- Brudvik KW, Vauthey JN. Portal Vein Embolization. In: Extreme Hepatic Surgery and Other Strategies: Increasing Resectability in Colorectal Liver Metastases. 119-130. Springer: New York, 2017.
- Nagorney DM, Pawlik TM, Chun YS, Ebata T, Vauthey JN. Perihilar Bile Ducts. In: AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. Eighth. Springer: Switzerland, 311-316, 2016.
- Contreras CM, Brouquet A, Maru DM, Vauthey JN. Hepatic steatosis, steatohepatitis, and chemotherapy-related liver injury. In: Blumgart's Surgery of the Liver, Biliary Tract, and Pancreas. 5th. Elsevier-Saunders: Philadelphia, 999-1005, 2012.
Letters to the Editor
- Brudvik KW, Vauthey JN. Re "Comparison of techniques for volumetric analysis of the future liver remnant: implications for major hepatic resections". HPB (Oxford) 18: 557, 2016.
- Mise Y, Kopetz S, Vauthey JN. Addition of RAS mutation status may strengthen the predictive model for progression of indeterminate pulmonary nodules. Ann Surg 264: e7, 2015.
- Torzilli G, Belghiti J, Kokudo N, Takayama T, Capussotti L, Nuzzo G, Vauthey JN, Choti MA, De Santibanes E, Donadon M, Makuuchi M. Reply to Letter: A snapshot of the effective indications and results of surgery for hepatocellular carcinoma in tertiary referral centers: is it adherent to the EASL/AASLD recommendations? An observational study of the HCC East-West Study Group": When the study setting "ignores" the patients. Ann Surg 262: e30-e31, 2015.
- Torzilli G, Belghiti J, Kokudo N, Takayama T, Capussotti L, Nuzzo G, Vauthey JN, Choti MA, De Santibanes E, Donadon M, Morenghi E, Makuuchi M`. Reply to Letter to the Editor entitled "A snapshot of the effective indications and results of surgery for hepatocellular carcinoma in tertiary referral centers: Is it adherent to the EASL/AASLD recommendations? An observational study of the HCC East-West Study Group: When the study setting "Ignores" the patients. Ann Surg 257: 929-937, 2013.
- Vauthey JN, Kopetz S, Aloia TA, Andreou A. KRAS mutation in colorectal cancer metastases after adjuvant FOLFOX for the primary. Br J Cancer 107: 1442-1443, 2012.