About Dr. Vauthey
Jean-Nicolas Vauthey, MD, FACS, is Professor of Surgery and Chief of the Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Section, as well as the Dallas/Fort Worth Living Legend Chair of Cancer Research in the Department of Surgical Oncology at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.
Dr. Vauthey’s clinical research focuses on methods to measure and improve outcome after hepatic resection for hepatobiliary malignancies. He developed a standardized method for calculating the volume of the anticipated liver remnant prior to major liver resection. He created the International Cooperative Study Group for Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Based on his work, the American Joint Committee on Cancer and the International Union Against Cancer adopted a new simplified staging system for hepatocellular carcinoma. He is the Chair of The American Joint Committee on Cancer Hepatobiliary and Pancreas Task Force for the 8 th Edition of the Manual for Staging Cancer. He has evaluated the use of preoperative chemotherapy in the multidisciplinary treatment of colorectal liver metastases. He is the author of a treatment algorithm for hepatic colorectal liver metastases. His most recent research focuses on the evaluation of the biology of colorectal liver metastases. Dr. Vauthey and his research team have shown that 6 mutated genes in 5 cancer pathways predict the outcome and prognosis of Stage IV resectable and unresectable colorectal cancer. Recently, he developed a fast track treatment for multiple colorectal liver metastases combining radiological and surgical procedures in a single hybrid room with state of the art surgical and imaging technology.
Dr. Vauthey is Past President of the Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association and current Chairman of the Board of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. He co-authored more than 700 publications in peer-reviewed journals (citations 58607 and h-index, 119) and more than 85 reviews and book chapters in major textbooks. He is editor or co-editor of multiple textbooks devoted to hepatobiliary and pancreatic cancers. He organized and chaired Consensus Conferences on Colorectal Liver Metastases, Hepatocellular Carcinoma, Resectable and Borderline Resectable Pancreas Cancer. He is honorary member of the Portuguese Surgical Association, the Brazilian Society of Surgical Oncology, the Association de Chirurgie Hépatobiliaire et de Transplantation, as well as the European Surgical Association. He is member of the Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences and the French Academy of Surgery. He is on the editorial board of major journals including the Journal of the American College of Surgeons and Annals of Surgery. He is the recipient of multiple awards including the prestigious 2011 Faculty Achievement Award in Patient Care for his commitment to the mission of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Chief, Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Section, Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Dallas/Fort Worth Living Legend Chair for Cancer Research, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1983||Lausanne University Medical School, Lausanne, CHE, MD, Medical Doctor Thesis|
|1979||Lausanne University Medical School, Lausanne, CHE, MD, Swiss Federal Medical Diploma|
|1973||Gymnase of Vevey, Vevey, CHE, BA, Physics and Biology|
|1990||American Board of Surgery|
Chair, Hepatobiliary Expert Panel, AJCC Cancer Staging Manual 8th Edition, Chicago, IL, 2013 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Co-Chair, Cholangiocarcinoma Institutional Working Group, 2013 - Present
|2021||Jean-Nicolas Vauthey, M.D. Endowed Lectureship for Liver-Directed Therapy, Board of Regents of The University of Texas System|
|2017||European Surgical Association, Honorary Member|
|2017||Thomas E. Weiss Outstanding Alumnus, Ochsner Medical Center|
|2017||Portuguese Surgical Society, Honorary Member, Congresso Nacional De Cirurgia|
|2017||Outstanding Teacher Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||The European Society of Surgical Oncology Medal, ESSO 34 -BASO 2014 Congress, October 29-31|
|2012||Cancer Fighters' Eagle Award, Cancer Fighters of Houston, Inc|
|2011||Faculty Achievement Award in Patient Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2011||Apple Award, MD Anderson Patient Education Office and the Health Education Week 2011 Committee|
|2006||Center for Biomedical Engineering Summer Internship Program Excellence in Teaching Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2005||America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd|
|2001||Merit Award, National Health Information Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
- Benson AB, D'Angelica MI, Abrams T, Abbott DE, Ahmed A, Anaya DA, Anders R, Are C, Bachini M, Binder D, Borad M, Bowlus C, Brown D, Burgoyne A, Castellanos J, Chahal P, Cloyd J, Covey AM, Glazer ES, Hawkins WG, Iyer R, Jacob R, Jennings L, Kelley RK, Kim R, Levine M, Palta M, Park JO, Raman S, Reddy S, Ronnekleiv-Kelly S, Sahai V, Singh G, Stein S, Turk A, Vauthey JN, Venook AP, Yopp A, McMillian N, Schonfeld R, Hochstetler C. NCCN Guidelines® Insights: Biliary Tract Cancers, Version 2.2023. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 21(7):694-704, 2023. PMID: 37433432.
- Maki H, Ayabe RI, Nishioka Y, Konishi T, Newhook TE, Tran Cao HS, Chun YS, Tzeng CD, You YN, Vauthey JN. Correction: Hepatectomy Before Primary Tumor Resection as Preferred Approach for Synchronous Liver Metastases from Rectal Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. e-Pub 2023. PMID: 37344750.
- Maki H, Jain AJ, Vauthey JN. Can the matrix help treat recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma?. JAMA Surg 158(2):202-203, 2023. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 36576810.
- Kemp Bohan PM, O'Shea AE, Lee AJ, Chick RC, Newhook TE, Tran Cao HS, Allen CJ, Nelson DW, Clifton GT, Vauthey JN, Tzeng CD, Vreeland TJ. Lymph node sampling in resectable hepatocellular carcinoma: national practice patterns and predictors of positive lymph nodes. Surg Oncol 36:138-146, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33418464.
- Mason MC, Massarweh NN, Tzeng CD, Chiang YJ, Chun YS, Aloia TA, Javle M, Vauthey JN, Tran Cao HS. Time to rethink upfront surgery for resectable intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma? Implications from the neoadjuvant experience. Ann Surg Oncol. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33586068.
- Kawaguchi Y, Newhook TE, Tran Cao HS, Tzeng CD, Chun YS, Aloia TA, Dasari A, Kopetz S, Vauthey JN. Alteration of FBXW7 is associated with worse survival in patients undergoing resection of colorectal liver metastases. J Gastrointest Surg 25(1):186-194, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33205306.
- Kawaguchi Y, De Bellis M, Panettieri E, Duwe G, Vauthey JN. Debate: Improvements in systemic therapies for liver metastases will increase the role of locoregional treatments. Surg Oncol Clin N Am 30(1):205-218, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33220806.
- Tzeng CWD, Tran Cao, HS, Roland CL, Teshome M, Bednarski BK, Ikoma N, Graham PH, Keung EZ, Scally CP, Katz MHG, Gershenwald JE, Lee JE, Vauthey JN. Surgical decision-making and prioritization for cancer patients at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic: A multidisciplinary approach. Surg Oncol. e-Pub 2020.
- Chun YS, Mizuno T, Cloyd JM, Ha MJ, Omichi K, Tzeng CD, Aloia TA, Ueno NT, Kuerer HM, Barcenas CH, Vauthey JN. Hepatic resection for breast cancer liver metastases: Impact of intrinsic subtypes. Eur J Surg Oncol. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32253074.
- Newhook TE, Vreeland TJ, Dewhurst WL, Arvide EM, Bruno ML, Robinson KA, Rajkot N, Aloia TA, Katz MHG, Vauthey JN, Lee JE, Tzeng CWD. Opioid prescribing practices after oncologic surgery: opportunities for improvement and a call to action. Ann Surg 1(2):e9-e10, 2020.
- Kawaguchi Y, Chiang YJ, Velasco JD, Tzeng CWD, Vauthey JN. Long-term outcomes in patients undergoing resection, ablation, and trans-arterial chemoembolization of hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States: a national cancer database analysis. J Glob Health 11(1):55-60, 2019.
- Benson AB, D'Angelica MI, Abbott DE, Abrams TA, Alberts SR, Anaya DA, Anders R, Are C, Brown D, Chang DT, Cloyd J, Covey AM, Hawkins W, Iyer R, Jacob R, Karachristos A, Kelley RK, Kim R, Palta M, Park JO, Sahai V, Schefter T, Sicklick JK, Singh G, Sohal D, Stein S, Tian GG, Vauthey JN, Venook AP, Hammond LJ, Darlow SD. Guidelines Insights: Hepatobiliary Cancers, Version 2.2019. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 17(4):302-310, 2019. PMID: 30959462.
- Kawaguchi Y, Lillemoe HA, Vauthey JN. Dealing with an insufficient future liver remnant: Portal vein embolization and two-stage hepatectomy. J Surg Oncol. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30825223.
- Brudvik KW, Jones RP, Giuliante F, Shindoh J, Passot G, Chung MH, Song J, Li L, Dagenborg VJ, Fretland AA, Rosok B, DeRose AM, Ardito F, Edwin B, Panettieri E. Larocca LM, Yamashita S, Conrad C, Aloia TA, Bjornbeth BA, Poston GJ, Vauthey JN. RAS mutation clinical risk score to predict survival after resection of colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg 269(1):120-126, 2019.
- Lillemoe HA, Kawaguchi Y, Passot G, Karagkounis G, Simoneau E, You YN, Mehran RJ, Chun YS, Tzeng CD, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. Surgical resection for recurrence after two-stage hepatectomy for colorectal liver metastases is feasible, is safe, and improves survival. J Gastrointest Surg 23(1):84-92, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30084064.
- Joechle K, Vega EA, Okuno M, Simoneau E, Ogiso S, Newhook TE, Ramirez DL, Holmes AA, Soliz JM, Chun YS, Tzeng CD, Lee JE, Vauthey JN, Conrad C. Middle hepatic vein roadmap for a safe laparoscopic right hepatectomy. Ann Surg Oncol 26(1):296, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30465224.
- Odisio BC, Krampitz GW, Murthy R, Mahvash A, Javle M, Vauthey JN. Preoperative drainage for perihilar cholangiocarcinoma. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol 4(1):10-11, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30527574.
- Yamashita S, Chun YS, Kopetz SE, Vauthey JN. Biomarkers in colorectal liver metastases. Br J Surg 105(6):618-627, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29579319.
- Mise Y, Vauthey JN, Zimmitti G, Parker NH, Conrad C, Aloia TA, Lee JE, Fleming JB, Katz MH. Ninety-day postoperative mortality is a legitimate measure of hepatopancreatobiliary surgical quality. Ann Surg 262(6):1071-1078, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25590497.
- Brudvik KW, Kopetz SE, Li L, Conrad C, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. Meta-analysis of KRAS mutations and survival after resection of colorectal liver metastases. Br J Surg 102(10):1175-1183, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26206254.
- Mansour JC, Aloia TA, Crane CH, Heimbach JK, Nagino M, Vauthey JN. Hilar Cholangiocarcinoma: expert consensus statement. HPB (Oxford) 17(8):691-699, 2015. PMID: 26172136.
- Mise Y, Zimmitti G, Shindoh J, Kopetz S, Loyer EM, Andreou A, Cooper AB, Kaur H, Aloia TA, Maru DM, Vauthey JN. RAS mutations predict radiologic and pathologic response in patients treated with chemotherapy before resection of colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg Oncol 22(3):834-42, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25227306.
- Shindoh J, Tzeng CW, Aloia TA, Curley SA, Huang SY, Mahvash A, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Vauthey JN. Safety and efficacy of portal vein embolization before planned major or extended hepatectomy: an institutional experience of 358 patients. J Gastrointest Surg 18(1):45-51, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24129824.
- Vauthey JN, Zimmitti G, Kopetz SE, Shindoh J, Chen SS, Andreou A, Curley SA, Aloia TA, Maru DM. RAS mutation status predicts survival and patterns of recurrence in patients undergoing hepatectomy for colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg 258(4):619-627, 2013. PMID: 24018645.
- Adams RB, Aloia TA, Loyer E, Pawlik TM, Taouli B, Vauthey JN, Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association, Society of Surgical Oncology, Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. Selection for hepatic resection of colorectal liver metastases: expert consensus statement. HPB (Oxford) 15(2):91-103, 2013. PMID: 23297719.
- Vauthey JN, Dixon E, Abdalla EK, Helton WS, Pawlik TM, Taouli B, Brouquet A, Adams RB. Pretreatment assessment of hepatocellular carcinoma: expert consensus statement. HPB (Oxford) 12(5):289-299, 2010.
- Truty, MJ, Vauthey JN. Surgical resection of high-risk hepatocellular carcinoma: patient selection, preoperative considerations, and operative technique. Ann Surg Oncol 17(5):1219-1225, 2010.
- Kishi Y, Kopetz S, Chun YS, Palavecino M, Abdalla EK, Vauthey JN. Blood neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio predicts survival in patients with colorectal liver metastases treated with systemic chemotherapy. Ann Surg Oncol 16(3):614-622, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19130139.
- Chun YS, Laurent A, Maru D, Vauthey JN. Management of chemotherapy-associated hepatotoxicity in colorectal liver metastases. Lancet Oncol 10(3):278-286, 2009. PMID: 19261256.
- Vauthey JN, Zorzi D, Pawlik TM. Making unresectable hepatic colorectal metastases resectable--does it work?. Semin Oncol 32(6 Suppl 9):S118-22, 2005. PMID: 16399448.
- Aloia TA, Zorzi D, Abdalla EK, Vauthey JN. Two-surgeon technique for hepatic parenchymal transection of the noncirrhotic liver using saline-linked cautery and ultrasonic dissection. Ann Surg 242(2):172-7, 2005. PMID: 16041206.
- Passot G, Vauthey JN. In favor of two-stage hepatectomy (TSH). Eur J Surg Oncol 41(12):1566-1567, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26409952.
- Brudvik KW, Vauthey JN. Peeling off technique or bile duct resection of tumor thrombus in hepatocellular carcinoma. Does future liver directed treatment justify less extensive surgery?. Ann Surg 261(5):e126, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25775077.
- Vauthey JN, Pawlik TM. Invited Critique - Preoperative biopsy evaluation of chemotherapy-associated liver injuries: looking for a needle in a hay-stack?. Arch Surg 147(12):1092, 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Vauthey JN, Kopetz SE. From multidisciplinary to personalized treatment of colorectal liver metastases: 4 reasons to consider RAS. Cancer 119(23):4083-4085, 2013. PMID: 24105015.
- Tzeng CW, Vauthey JN. Postoperative complications and oncologic outcomes after resection of colorectal liver metastases: the importance of staying on track. Ann Surg Oncol 20(8):2457-2459, 2013. PMID: 23579874.
- Vauthey JN, Zimmitti G, Shindo J. From Couinaud to Molecular Biology: The Seven Virtues of HPB Surgery. HPB(14):493-499, 2012.
- Vauthey JN. Colorectal liver metastases: treat effectively upfront and consider the borderline resectable. J Clin Oncol 25(29):4524-4525, 2007.
- Mizuno T, Snyder RA, Vauthey JN. Should Patient Undergo Associated Liver Partition and Portal Vein Ligation in Staged Hepatectomy (ALPPS) or Two-Stage Liver Resection: Two-Stage Liver Resection. In: Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary and Transplant Surgery: Practical Management of Dilemmas. Beaux Books Publishing: USA, 159-165, 2018.
- Shindoh J, Vauthey JN. Hepatic Neoplasms. Section: Hepatobiliary and Portal Venous System. In: Greenfield's Surgery: Scientific Principles & Practice. 6th. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia, 975-996, 2017.
- Brudvik KW, Vauthey JN. Portal Vein Embolization. In: Extreme Hepatic Surgery and Other Strategies: Increasing Resectability in Colorectal Liver Metastases. 119-130. Springer: New York, 2017.
- Nagorney DM, Pawlik TM, Chun YS, Ebata T, Vauthey JN. Perihilar Bile Ducts. In: AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. Eighth. Springer: Switzerland, 311-316, 2016.
- Ribero D, Morris-Stiff G, Vauthey JN. Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Presentation and Diagnosis. In: Textbook of Surgical Oncology. World Scientific: London, England, 205- 215, 2013.
- Contreras CM, Brouquet A, Maru DM, Vauthey JN. Hepatic steatosis, steatohepatitis, and chemotherapy-related liver injury. In: Blumgart's Surgery of the Liver, Biliary Tract, and Pancreas. 5th. Elsevier-Saunders: Philadelphia, 999-1005, 2012.
- Vauthey JN, Yokoyama. Responsibilities of the Mentor. In: Mentorship and Leadership: Building for Success in Academic Surgery. Springer Science+Media, LLC: New York.
- Yamashita S, Vauthey JN. Surgical treatment for hepatocellular carcinoma in the era of multiple staging and algorithm. In: Complex General Surgical Oncology. Decker Intellectual Properties, Inc: Ontario.
Letters to the Editor
- Brudvik KW, Vauthey JN. Re "Comparison of techniques for volumetric analysis of the future liver remnant: implications for major hepatic resections". HPB (Oxford) 18: 557, 2016.
- Mise Y, Kopetz S, Vauthey JN. Addition of RAS mutation status may strengthen the predictive model for progression of indeterminate pulmonary nodules. Ann Surg 264: e7, 2015.
- Torzilli G, Belghiti J, Kokudo N, Takayama T, Capussotti L, Nuzzo G, Vauthey JN, Choti MA, De Santibanes E, Donadon M, Makuuchi M. Reply to Letter: A snapshot of the effective indications and results of surgery for hepatocellular carcinoma in tertiary referral centers: is it adherent to the EASL/AASLD recommendations? An observational study of the HCC East-West Study Group": When the study setting "ignores" the patients. Ann Surg 262: e30-e31, 2015.
- Torzilli G, Belghiti J, Kokudo N, Takayama T, Capussotti L, Nuzzo G, Vauthey JN, Choti MA, De Santibanes E, Donadon M, Morenghi E, Makuuchi M`. Reply to Letter to the Editor entitled "A snapshot of the effective indications and results of surgery for hepatocellular carcinoma in tertiary referral centers: Is it adherent to the EASL/AASLD recommendations? An observational study of the HCC East-West Study Group: When the study setting "Ignores" the patients. Ann Surg 257: 929-937, 2013.
- Vauthey JN, Kopetz S, Aloia TA, Andreou A. KRAS mutation in colorectal cancer metastases after adjuvant FOLFOX for the primary. Br J Cancer 107: 1442-1443, 2012.
|Title:||The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center SPORE in Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Project 1: Targeting the PD-1 Pathway in HCC. And Project 2: Targeting STAT3 with an Oral Small Molecule to Treat HCC|