Meet Jeffrey Weinberg, M.D.
About Dr. Weinberg
Dr. Jeffrey Weinberg is currently a Professor and Director of Training in the Department of Neurosurgery at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. He is also the Director of the Intraoperative MRI Program. Dr. Weinberg is a leader in the field of Neurosurgery with particular knowledge about intraoperative MRI and technical expertise in surgical management of primary and metastatic brain tumors, spinal cord tumors, stereotactic radiosurgery, intraoperative delivery of anti-cancer agents, as well as pediatric brain tumors. He has received various honors which include Excellence in Research Mentorship from the University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering, Houston, TX; the Excellence in Teaching Award from the University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering for three consecutive years, and Top Doctor’s Designation by Castle Connolly and US News and World Report. Dr. Weinberg is a member of the Faculty Senate Education Committee; Chair of the Perio-operative Value Analysis Team; the Chair of the Scientific Program Committee for the 2012 Intraoperative Imaging Society Annual Meeting; incoming Vice President of the Texas of Neurological Surgeons; Chair of the search committee for the Chief of Neuropyschology. He has published more than 50 manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals and has authored 8 book chapters. He is invited to numerous conferences and symposiums throughout the year.
In the News
Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Director of Training, Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1993||New York University, New York, NY, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1989||University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA, Bachelor of Applied Science (Computer Science), School of Engineering & Applied Sciences|
|2000-2001||Fellow, Neurosurgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1998-1999||Chief Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY|
|1998-2000||Chief Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, Bellevue Hospital and Manhattan Veterans Administration Hospitals, New York, NY|
|1994-1998||Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, New York University Medical Center and Bellevue Hospital, New York, NY|
|1993-1994||Intern, General Surgery, New York University Medical Center and Bellevue Hospital, New York, NY|
|2006||American Board of Neurological Surgeons|
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2007 - Present
Scientific Program Chair, Texas Association of Neurological Surgeons, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Perioperative Informatics Meeting, 2016 - Present
Member, Acute & Critical Care Subcommittee (formerly ICU Subcommittee), 2010 - 2016
Chairman, Search Committee for Director of Pediatric Neuro-Oncology, 2010 - 2012
Member, POE Operating Room Safety Council, 2009 - Present
Chairman, Search Committee for Assistant/Associate Professor position, Section of Neuropsychology, Department of Neuro-Oncology, 2008 - 2009
Member, High Performance Visualization Committee, 2008 - 2011
Member, Pregnancy Testing Workgroup, 2008 - 2009
Member, Faculty Senate Salary Review Committee, 2007 - 2012
Member, Policies & Procedures Task Force, Implementation Phase, by the Surgery Scheduling Process Improvement Team, 2007 - 2008
Member, Graduate Medical Education Curriculum Subcommittee, 2005 - Present
Representative, Faculty Senate, 2005 - 2011
Member, Faculty Senate Education Committee, 2005 - 2011
|2013||Listed in Guide To America's Top Surgeons, Consumers' Research Council of America|
|2010||Top Doctor, The Global Directory of Who's Who|
|2007||Excellence in Teaching Award, The University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering, Houston, TX|
|2006||Excellence in Teaching Award, The University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering, Houston, TX|
|2005||Excellence in Teaching Award, The University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering, Houston, TX|
|2005||Achievement Award in Science, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England|
|2004||Excellence in Research Mentorship, The University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering, Houston, TX|
|1989||Cum Laude, University of Pennsylvania|
- Huang M, Xiong C, Lu W, Zhang R, Zhou M, Huang Q, Weinberg JS, Li C. Dual-modality micro-positron emission tomography/computed tomography and near-infrared fluorescence imaging of EphB4 in orthotopic glioblastoma xenograft models (MIB-13-105-Apr-OA). Mol Imaging & Biol 16(1):74-84, 2014. PMID: 23918654.
- Lim Z, Mahajan A, Weinberg J, Tannir NM. Outcome of patients with renal cell carcinoma metastatic to the brain treated with sunitinib without local therapy. American Journal of Clinical Oncology 36(3):258-260, 2013.
- Hatiboglu MA, Chang EL, Suki D, Sawaya R, Wildrick DM, Weinberg JS. Outcomes and prognostic factors for patients with brainstem metastases undergoing stereotactic radiosurgery. Neurosurgery 69(4):796-806, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21508879.
- Kumar AJ, Leeds NE, Kumar VA, Fuller GN, Lang FF, Milas Z, Weinberg JS, Ater JL, Sawaya R. Magnetic resonance imaging features of pilocytic astrocytoma of the brain mimicking high-grade gliomas. J Comput Assist Tomogr 34(4):601-11, 2010. PMID: 20657231.
- Hatiboglu MA, Weinberg JS, Suki D, Tummala S, Rao G, Sawaya R, Prabhu SS. Utilization of intraoperative motor mapping in glioma surgery with high-field intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 88(6):345-352, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20733348.
- Groves MD, Hess KR, Puduvalli VK, Colman H, Conrad CA, Gilbert MR, Weinberg J, Cristofanilli M, Yung WK, Liu TJ. Biomarkers of disease: cerebrospinal fluid vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and stromal cell derived factor (SDF)-1 levels in patients with neoplastic meningitis (NM) due to breast cancer, lung cancer and melanoma. J Neurooncol 94(2):229-34, 2009. PMID: 19267183.
- Kong LY, Wei J, Sharma AK, Barr J, Abou-Ghazal MK, Fokt I, Weinberg J, Rao G, Grimm E, Priebe W, Heimberger AB. A novel phosphorylated STAT3 inhibitor enhances T Cell cytotoxicity against melanoma through inhibition of regulatory T Cells. Cancer Immunol Immunother 58(7):1023-1032, 2009. PMID: 19002459.
- Kim SS, McCutcheon IE, Suki D, Weinberg JS, Sawaya R, Lang FF, Ferson D, Heimberger AB, DeMonte F, Prabhu SS. Awake craniotomy for brain tumors near eloquent cortex: Correlation of intraoperative cortical mapping with neurological outcomes in 309 consecutive patients. Neurosurgery 64(5):836-45, 2009. PMID: 19404147.
- Nayar VV, Foroozan R, Weinberg JS, Yoshor D. Preservation of visual fields with the inferior temporal gyrus approach to the atrium. J Neurosurg 110(4):740-743, 2009. PMID: 19199472.
- Suki D, Hatiboglu MA, Patel AJ, Weinberg JS, Groves MD, Mahajan A, Sawaya R. Comparative risk of leptomeningeal dissemination of cancer after surgery or stereotactic radiosurgery for a single supratentorial solid tumor metastasis. Neurosurgery 64(4):664-74, 2009. PMID: 19197219.
- Armstrong TS, Gning I, Mendoza TR, Weinberg J, Gilbert MR, Tortorice ML, Cleeland CS. Clinical Utility of the MDASI-BT in Patients with Brain Metastases. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 37(3):331-40, 2009. PMID: 18676120.
- Wei J, DeAngulo G, Sun W, Hussain SF, Vasquez H, Jordan J, Weinberg J, Wolff J, Koshkina N, Heimberger AB. Topotecan enhances immune clearance of gliomas. Cancer Immunol Immunother 58(2):259-70, 2009. PMID: 18594817.
- Scheurer ME, El-Zein R, Thompson PA, Aldape KD, Levin VA, Gilbert MR, Weinberg JS, Bondy ML. Long-term Anti-inflammatory and Antihistamine Medication Use and Adult Glioma Risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17(5):1277-81, 2008. PMID: 18483351.
- Feiz-Erfan I, Rhines LD, Weinberg JS. The Role of Surgery in Management of Metastatic Spinal Tumors. Semin Oncol 35(2):108-117, 2008. PMID: 18396196.
- Suki D, Abouassi H, Patel AJ, Sawaya R, Weinberg JS, Groves MD. Comparative risk of leptomeningeal disease after resection or stereotactic radiosurgery for solid tumor metastasis to the posterior fossa. J Neurosurg 108(2):248-257, 2008. PMID: 18240919.
- Chang EL, Shiu AS, Mendel E, Mathews LA, Mahajan A, Allen PK, Weinberg JS, Brown BW, Wang XS, Woo SY, Cleeland C, Maor MH, Rhines LD. Phase I/II study of stereotactic body radiotherapy for spinal metastasis and its pattern of failure. J Neurosurg Spine 7(2):151-160, 2007. PMID: 17688054.
- Nguyen QN, Chang EL, Allen PK, Maor MH, Ater JL, Mahajan A, Wolff JE, Weinberg JS, Woo SY. Focal and craniospinal irradiation for patients with intracranial germinoma patients and patterns of failure. Cancer 107(9):2228-36, 2006. PMID: 17019739.
- Mahajan A, McCutcheon I, Chang E, Weinberg J, Allen P, Shiu A, Kumar A, Hassenbusch III S, Maor M, Woo S. The evolution of MRI changes in brain metastasis treated with stereotactic radiosurgery. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2006.
- Giglio P, Weinberg JS, Forman AD, Wolff R, Groves MD. Neoplastic meningitis in patients with adenocarcinoma of the gastrointestinal tract. Cancer 103(11):2355-62, 2005. PMID: 15856426.
- Heimberger AB, Hlatky R, Suki D, Yang D, Weinberg J, Gilbert M, Sawaya R, Aldape K. Prognostic effect of epidermal growth factor receptor and EGFRvIII in glioblastoma multiforme patients. Clin Cancer Res 11(4):1462-1466, 2005. PMID: 15746047.
- Hlatky R, Jackson EF, Weinberg JS, McCutcheon IE. Intraoperative neuronavigation using diffusion tensor MR tractography for the resection of a deep tumor adjacent to the corticospinal tract. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 83(5-6):228-232, 2005. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16534255.
- Mahajan A, McCutcheon IE, Suki D, Chang EL, Hassenbusch SJ, Weinberg JS, Shiu A, Maor MH, Woo SY. Case-control study of stereotactic radiosurgery for recurrent glioblastoma multiforme. J Neurosurg 103:210-217, 2005. PMID: 16175848.
- Prabhu SS, Aldape KD, Bruner JM, Weinberg JS. Cowden disease with Lhermitte-Duclos disease: case report and review of the literature. Can J Neurol Sci 31(4):542-549, 2004. PMID: 15595264.
- Chang EL, Shiu AS, Lii MF, Rhines LD, Mendel E, Mahajan A, Weinberg JS, Mathews LA, Brown BW, Maor MH, Cox JD. Phase I clinical evaluation of near-simultaneous computed tomographic image-guided stereotactic body radiotherapy for spinal metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59(5):1288-94, 2004. PMID: 15275711.
- Selek U, Chang EL, Hassenbusch SJ, Shiu AS, Lang FF, Allen P, Weinberg J, Sawaya R, Maor MH. Stereotactic radiosurgical treatment in 103 patients for 153 cerebral melanoma metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59(4):1097-106, 2004. PMID: 15234044.
- Cohen ZR, Suki D, Weinberg JS, Marmor E, Lang FF, Gershenson DM, Sawaya R. Brain metastases in patients with ovarian carcinoma: prognostic factors and outcome. J Neuro-Oncol 66(3):313-325, 2004. PMID: 15015663.
- Hentschel SJ, McCutcheon IE, Ginsberg L, Weinberg JS. Exophytic ependymoma of the cervical spinal cord: a report of two cases. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 146(9):1047-1050, 2004. PMID: 15340819.
Jeffrey Weinberg, M.D., is a neurosurgeon who treats primary and metastatic brain tumors at MD Anderson.
Dr. Weinberg was instrumental in bringing the Brainsuite® to MD Anderson in 2006.
Dr. Weinberg is also also the director of MD Anderson's Intraoperative MRI Program.