Meet Jeffrey Weinberg, M.D.
About Dr. Weinberg
Dr. Jeffrey Weinberg is currently a Professor of Neurosurgery, Deputy Chair and Vice-Chair of Clinical Operations in The Department of Neurosurgery at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. He is also the Director of the Intraoperative MRI Program. Dr. Weinberg is a leader in the field of the Neurosurgical Oncology with particular knowledge about intraoperative MRI and technical expertise in surgical management of primary and metastatic brain tumors, spinal cord tumors and stereotactic radiosurgery. He has received various honors which include Excellence in Research Mentorship from the University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering, Houston, TX; the Excellence in Teaching Award from the University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering for three consecutive years, Top Doctor's Designation by Castle Connolly and US News and World Report and most recently the MD Anderson Physician Referral Service Sam Hassenbusch Leadership and Institutional Service Award. Dr. Weinberg is the Chair of the Peri-operative Value Analysis Team; President of the Intraoperative Imaging Society; past President of the Texas Association of Neurological Surgeons; Website Chair for the Joint Tumor Section of the AANS and CNS. He has published more than 100 manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals and has authored 8 book chapters.
In the News
Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Deputy Chair, Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1993||New York University, New York, NY, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1989||University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA, Bachelor of Applied Science (Computer Science), School of Engineering & Applied Sciences|
|2000-2001||Fellow, Neurosurgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1998-1999||Chief Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY|
|1998-2000||Chief Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, Bellevue Hospital and Manhattan Veterans Administration Hospitals, New York, NY|
|1994-1998||Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, New York University Medical Center and Bellevue Hospital, New York, NY|
|1993-1994||Intern, General Surgery, New York University Medical Center and Bellevue Hospital, New York, NY|
|2006||American Board of Neurological Surgeons|
Scientific Program Chair, Texas Association of Neurological Surgeons, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Perioperative Informatics Meeting, 2016 - Present
Member, Acute & Critical Care Subcommittee (formerly ICU Subcommittee), 2010 - 2016
Chairman, Search Committee for Director of Pediatric Neuro-Oncology, 2010 - 2012
Member, POE Operating Room Safety Council, 2009 - Present
Member, High Performance Visualization Committee, 2008 - 2011
Member, Pregnancy Testing Workgroup, 2008 - 2009
Member, Faculty Senate Salary Review Committee, 2007 - 2012
Member, Policies & Procedures Task Force, Implementation Phase, by the Surgery Scheduling Process Improvement Team, 2007 - 2008
Member, Graduate Medical Education Curriculum Subcommittee, 2005 - 2018
Representative, Faculty Senate, 2005 - 2011
Member, Faculty Senate Education Committee, 2005 - 2011
|2013||Listed in Guide To America's Top Surgeons, Consumers' Research Council of America|
|2010||Top Doctor, The Global Directory of Who's Who|
|2007||Excellence in Teaching Award, The University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering, Houston, TX|
|2006||Excellence in Teaching Award, The University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering, Houston, TX|
|2005||Achievement Award in Science, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England|
|2005||Excellence in Teaching Award, The University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering, Houston, TX|
|2004||Excellence in Research Mentorship, The University of Texas Center for Biomedical Engineering, Houston, TX|
|1989||Cum Laude, University of Pennsylvania|
- Beechar VB, Prabhu SS, Bastos D, Weinberg JS, Stafford RJ, Fuentes D, Hess KR, Rao G. Correction to: Volumetric response of progressing post-SRS lesions treated with laser interstitial thermal therapy. J Neurooncol 141(2):475, 2019. PMID: 30635762.
- Gates EDH, Lin JS, Weinberg JS, Hamilton J, Prabhu SS, Hazle JD, Fuller GN, Baladandayuthapani V, Fuentes D, Schellingerhout D.. Guiding the First Biopsy in Glioma Patients using Estimated Ki67 Maps Derived from Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Conventional versus Advanced Imaging. Neuro Oncol, 2019. PMID: 30657997.
- Kotrotsou A, Elakkad A, Sun J, Thomas GA, Yang D, Abrol S, Wei W, Weinberg JS, Bakhtiari AS, Kircher MF, Luedi MM, de Groot JF, Sawaya R, Kumar AJ, Zinn PO, Colen RR. Multi-center study finds postoperative residual non-enhancing component of glioblastoma as a new determinant of patient outcome. J Neurooncol 139(1):125-133, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29619649.
- Noll KR, Bradshaw ME, Weinberg JS, Wefel JS. Neurocognitive functioning is associated with functional independence in newly diagnosed patients with temporal lobe glioma. Neurooncol Pract 5(3):184-193, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 30094046.
- Lang FF, Conrad C, Gomez-Manzano C, Yung WKA, Sawaya R, Weinberg JS, Prabhu SS, Rao G, Fuller GN, Aldape KD, Gumin J, Vence LM, Wistuba I, Rodriguez-Canales J, Villalobos PA, Dirven CMF, Tejada S, Valle RD, Alonso MM, Ewald B, Peterkin JJ, Tufaro F, Fueyo J. Phase I Study of DNX-2401 (Delta-24-RGD) Oncolytic Adenovirus: Replication and Immunotherapeutic Effects in Recurrent Malignant Glioma. J Clin Oncol 36(14):1419-1427, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29432077.
- Beechar VB, Prabhu SS, Bastos D, Weinberg JS, Stafford RJ, Fuentes D, Hess KR, Rao G. Volumetric response of progressing post-SRS lesions treated with laser interstitial thermal therapy. J Neurooncol 137(1):57-65, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29204838.
- Lim Z, Mahajan A, Weinberg J, Tannir NM. Outcome of patients with renal cell carcinoma metastatic to the brain treated with sunitinib without local therapy. American Journal of Clinical Oncology 36(3):258-260, 2013.
- Hatiboglu MA, Chang EL, Suki D, Sawaya R, Wildrick DM, Weinberg JS. Outcomes and prognostic factors for patients with brainstem metastases undergoing stereotactic radiosurgery. Neurosurgery 69(4):796-806, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21508879.
- Kumar AJ, Leeds NE, Kumar VA, Fuller GN, Lang FF, Milas Z, Weinberg JS, Ater JL, Sawaya R. Magnetic resonance imaging features of pilocytic astrocytoma of the brain mimicking high-grade gliomas. J Comput Assist Tomogr 34(4):601-11, 2010. PMID: 20657231.
- Hatiboglu MA, Weinberg JS, Suki D, Tummala S, Rao G, Sawaya R, Prabhu SS. Utilization of intraoperative motor mapping in glioma surgery with high-field intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 88(6):345-352, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20733348.
- Groves MD, Hess KR, Puduvalli VK, Colman H, Conrad CA, Gilbert MR, Weinberg J, Cristofanilli M, Yung WK, Liu TJ. Biomarkers of disease: cerebrospinal fluid vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and stromal cell derived factor (SDF)-1 levels in patients with neoplastic meningitis (NM) due to breast cancer, lung cancer and melanoma. J Neurooncol 94(2):229-34, 2009. PMID: 19267183.
- Kong LY, Wei J, Sharma AK, Barr J, Abou-Ghazal MK, Fokt I, Weinberg J, Rao G, Grimm E, Priebe W, Heimberger AB. A novel phosphorylated STAT3 inhibitor enhances T Cell cytotoxicity against melanoma through inhibition of regulatory T Cells. Cancer Immunol Immunother 58(7):1023-1032, 2009. PMID: 19002459.
- Kim SS, McCutcheon IE, Suki D, Weinberg JS, Sawaya R, Lang FF, Ferson D, Heimberger AB, DeMonte F, Prabhu SS. Awake craniotomy for brain tumors near eloquent cortex: Correlation of intraoperative cortical mapping with neurological outcomes in 309 consecutive patients. Neurosurgery 64(5):836-45, 2009. PMID: 19404147.
- Suki D, Hatiboglu MA, Patel AJ, Weinberg JS, Groves MD, Mahajan A, Sawaya R. Comparative risk of leptomeningeal dissemination of cancer after surgery or stereotactic radiosurgery for a single supratentorial solid tumor metastasis. Neurosurgery 64(4):664-74, 2009. PMID: 19197219.
- Nayar VV, Foroozan R, Weinberg JS, Yoshor D. Preservation of visual fields with the inferior temporal gyrus approach to the atrium. J Neurosurg 110(4):740-743, 2009. PMID: 19199472.
- Armstrong TS, Gning I, Mendoza TR, Weinberg J, Gilbert MR, Tortorice ML, Cleeland CS. Clinical Utility of the MDASI-BT in Patients with Brain Metastases. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 37(3):331-40, 2009. PMID: 18676120.
- Wei J, DeAngulo G, Sun W, Hussain SF, Vasquez H, Jordan J, Weinberg J, Wolff J, Koshkina N, Heimberger AB. Topotecan enhances immune clearance of gliomas. Cancer Immunol Immunother 58(2):259-70, 2009. PMID: 18594817.
- Scheurer ME, El-Zein R, Thompson PA, Aldape KD, Levin VA, Gilbert MR, Weinberg JS, Bondy ML. Long-term Anti-inflammatory and Antihistamine Medication Use and Adult Glioma Risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17(5):1277-81, 2008. PMID: 18483351.
- Suki D, Abouassi H, Patel AJ, Sawaya R, Weinberg JS, Groves MD. Comparative risk of leptomeningeal disease after resection or stereotactic radiosurgery for solid tumor metastasis to the posterior fossa. J Neurosurg 108(2):248-257, 2008. PMID: 18240919.
- Chang EL, Shiu AS, Mendel E, Mathews LA, Mahajan A, Allen PK, Weinberg JS, Brown BW, Wang XS, Woo SY, Cleeland C, Maor MH, Rhines LD. Phase I/II study of stereotactic body radiotherapy for spinal metastasis and its pattern of failure. J Neurosurg Spine 7(2):151-160, 2007. PMID: 17688054.
- Nguyen QN, Chang EL, Allen PK, Maor MH, Ater JL, Mahajan A, Wolff JE, Weinberg JS, Woo SY. Focal and craniospinal irradiation for patients with intracranial germinoma patients and patterns of failure. Cancer 107(9):2228-36, 2006. PMID: 17019739.
- Giglio P, Weinberg JS, Forman AD, Wolff R, Groves MD. Neoplastic meningitis in patients with adenocarcinoma of the gastrointestinal tract. Cancer 103(11):2355-62, 2005. PMID: 15856426.
- Heimberger AB, Hlatky R, Suki D, Yang D, Weinberg J, Gilbert M, Sawaya R, Aldape K. Prognostic effect of epidermal growth factor receptor and EGFRvIII in glioblastoma multiforme patients. Clin Cancer Res 11(4):1462-1466, 2005. PMID: 15746047.
- Mahajan A, McCutcheon IE, Suki D, Chang EL, Hassenbusch SJ, Weinberg JS, Shiu A, Maor MH, Woo SY. Case-control study of stereotactic radiosurgery for recurrent glioblastoma multiforme. J Neurosurg 103:210-217, 2005. PMID: 16175848.
- Hlatky R, Jackson EF, Weinberg JS, McCutcheon IE. Intraoperative neuronavigation using diffusion tensor MR tractography for the resection of a deep tumor adjacent to the corticospinal tract. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 83(5-6):228-232, 2005. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16534255.
- Prabhu SS, Aldape KD, Bruner JM, Weinberg JS. Cowden disease with Lhermitte-Duclos disease: case report and review of the literature. Can J Neurol Sci 31(4):542-549, 2004. PMID: 15595264.
- Chang EL, Shiu AS, Lii MF, Rhines LD, Mendel E, Mahajan A, Weinberg JS, Mathews LA, Brown BW, Maor MH, Cox JD. Phase I clinical evaluation of near-simultaneous computed tomographic image-guided stereotactic body radiotherapy for spinal metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59(5):1288-94, 2004. PMID: 15275711.
- Selek U, Chang EL, Hassenbusch SJ, Shiu AS, Lang FF, Allen P, Weinberg J, Sawaya R, Maor MH. Stereotactic radiosurgical treatment in 103 patients for 153 cerebral melanoma metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59(4):1097-106, 2004. PMID: 15234044.
- Cohen ZR, Suki D, Weinberg JS, Marmor E, Lang FF, Gershenson DM, Sawaya R. Brain metastases in patients with ovarian carcinoma: prognostic factors and outcome. J Neuro-Oncol 66(3):313-325, 2004. PMID: 15015663.
- Hentschel SJ, McCutcheon IE, Ginsberg L, Weinberg JS. Exophytic ependymoma of the cervical spinal cord: a report of two cases. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 146(9):1047-1050, 2004. PMID: 15340819.
- Ferguson SD, Momin EN, Weinberg JS. Surgical Management of Recurrent Intracranial Gliomas. Prog Neurol Surg 30:218-231, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29241177.
- Feiz-Erfan I, Rhines LD, Weinberg JS. The Role of Surgery in Management of Metastatic Spinal Tumors. Semin Oncol 35(2):108-117, 2008. PMID: 18396196.
Jeffrey Weinberg, M.D., is a neurosurgeon who treats primary and metastatic brain tumors at MD Anderson.
Dr. Weinberg was instrumental in bringing the Brainsuite® to MD Anderson in 2006.
Dr. Weinberg is also also the director of MD Anderson's Intraoperative MRI Program.