About Dr. Rexer
Jennie Rexer, PhD, a board-certified clinical neuropsychologist, is an associate professor in the Section of Neuropsychology within the Department of Neuro-Oncology. She received her doctorate in Clinical Neuropsychology from the University of Houston, which included medical school neurology, neuroanatomy, and neuroscience courses at Baylor College of Medicine, and training at MD Anderson, The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research, the Brain Injury Research Center, and other institutions in Texas Medical Center. She completed an internship at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, MI, where her major rotations included the Memory Disorders Clinic, and Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry. She then spent one year as a resident at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, AZ, where she gained experience with brain injury, stroke, and other cerebrovascular disorders. She was a neuropsychologist for many years at Houston Neuropsychology Group, including serving as a consulting neuropsychologist for inpatient rehabilitation at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, and also inpatient behavioral geriatric as well as inpatient rehabilitation units at West Houston Medical Center. She joined MD Anderson in 2009. Her research and practice interests include evaluating medically complex patients, including those with brain tumors, cancer-treatment related cognitive changes, and dementia. In addition she assists with mapping speech areas of the brain via fMRI, and is a member of the Awake Craniotomy Team (ACT) assisting with intraoperative language mapping in neurosurgery patients.
Associate Professor, Department of Neuro-Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2001||The University of Houston, Houston, TX, USA, PHD, Clinical Neuropsychology|
|1997||The University of Houston, Houston, TX, USA, MA, Psychology|
|1990||The University of Houston, Houston, TX, USA, BS, Psychology|
|2001-2002||Clinical Residency, Clinical Neuropsychology, Barrow Neurological Institute, St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ|
|2012||American Board of Professional Psychology, Board Certified in Clinical Neuropsychology|
Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Houston, Department of Psychology, Houston, TX, 2010 - Present
Clinical Adjunct Faculty, University of Houston, Houston, TX, 2010 - Present
Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Neuro-Oncology, Section of Neuropsychology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2020
Director of Neuropsychology Fellowship Training, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2014
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Faculty Senate, 2019 - 2021
Chair, Non-Physician Clinical Education Committee, 2012 - 2013
Vice Chair, Non-Physician Clinical Education Committee, 2011 - 2012
Member, Non-Physician Clinical Education Committee, 2009 - 2015
- Noll KR, Bradshaw ME, Parsons MW, Dawson EL, Rexer J, Wefel JS. Monitoring of Neurocognitive Function in the Care of Patients with Brain Tumors. Curr Treat Options Neurol 21(7):33, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31250277.
- Noll KR, Bradshaw ME, Rexer J, Wefel JS. Neuropsychological Practice in the Oncology Setting. Arch Clin Neuropsychol 33(3):344-353, 2018. PMID: 29718081.
- Borgaro SR, Prigatano GP, Kwasnica C, Rexer JL.. Cognitive and affective sequelae in complicated and uncomplicated mild traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj 17(3):189, 2003. PMID: 12623495.
- Hayman LA, Rexer JL, Pavol MA, Strite D, Meyers CA. Klüver-Bucy syndrome after bilateral selective damage of amygdala and its cortical connections. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 10(3):354-8, 1998. PMID: 9706545.
- Pavol MA, Meyers CA, Rexer JL, Valentine AD, Mattis PJ, Talpaz M. Patterns of neurobehavioral deficits associated with interferon alfa therapy for leukemia. Neurology 45(5):947-50, 1995. PMID: 7746412.
- Hiscock M, Hillis SK, Rexer JL. Dual-task interference patterns reveal differential processing of upright and inverted faces. Brain and Cognition 28(2):155, 1995. PMID: 7546670.
- Mortel KF, Pavol MA, Wood S, Meyer JS, Tarayama Y, Rexer JL, Herod B. Prospective studies of cerebral perfusion and cognitive testing among elderly normal volunteers and patients with ischemic vascular dementia and Alzheimers disease. Angiology 45(3):171, 1994. PMID: 8129197.
- Mortel KF, Wood S, Pavol MA, Meyer JS, Rexer JL. Analysis of familial and individual risk factors among patients with ischemic vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Angiology 44(8):599-605, 1993. PMID: 8342875.
- Mortel KF, Wood S, Pavol MA, Meyer JS, Rexer JL. Personal and familial risk factors among Alzheimers and vascular dementia patients. Angiology 44:599, 1993.
- Fu, JB, Rao G, Rexer JL. Rehabilitation of Patients with Brain Tumors. In: Cancer Rehabilitation - Principles and Practice. 2nd. Demos Medical Publishing: New York, 587-600, 2019.
- Rexer JL, Estevis E. Neurocognitive Dysfunction in the Cancer Patient. In: Cancer Rehabilitation - Principles and Practice. 2nd. Demos Medical Publishing: New York, 1055-1065, 2019.
- Rexer JL. Cognitive Dysfuntion. In: Rehabilitation Medicine Quick Reference - Cancer. Demos Medical Publishing: New York, 57-59, 2014.
- Rexer JL. Neuropsychological evaluations of the cancer patient, Cancer Rehabilitation. In: Rehabilitation Medicine Quick Reference Series. Demos Medical Publishing, 2013.