Professor, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1996||The University of Texas Medical School, Houston, TX, USA, MD, Internal Medicine|
|1996||Emory University, Rollins School of Public Health, Atlanta, GA, USA, MPH, Epidemiology and International Health|
|1991||The University of Texas, Austin, TX, USA, BA, French Studies|
|2010-2010||Clinical Safety and Effectiveness (CS&E) Program, "Patient Scheduling and Appointment Cycle Time in the Ambulatory Treatment Center", The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1996-2000||Residency, The University of Texas Medical School, Houston, TX|
|1995-1995||William and Flora Hewlett Internship, Carter Presidential Center, Atlanta, GA|
|2013||Internal Medicine Recertification|
Associate Professor, Tenured, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2018
Assistant Professor, Tenure track, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2012
Assistant Professor, Non-tenure track, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2001 - 2005
Member, Community Clinical Oncology Program Research Base Steering Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - Present
|2011||Winner, James S. and Suzanne Cyrus Scholar Award for Clinical Research, "Reactivation of Hepatitis B Infection Among Patients with Cancer." Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2011||Fellow, American College of Physicians|
|2011||"Reactivation of Hepatitis B Infection Among Patients with Cancer," selected as one of the Best AASLD Abstracts at the British Association for the Study of the Liver Annual Meeting, British Association for the Study of the Liver|
|2010||"Reactivation of Hepatitis B Infection Among Patients with Cancer," selected as one of the Best of ASCO Abstracts at Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer Annual Meeting, Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer|
|2008||National Institutes of Health Loan Repayment Program in Health Disparities, Loan Repayment Program, NIH|
- Hwang JP, Suarez-Almazor ME, Cantor SB, Barbo A, Lin HY, Ahmed S, Chavez-MacGregor M, Donato-Santana C, Eng C, Ferrajoli A, Fisch MJ, McLaughlin P, Simon GR, Rondon G, Shpall EJ, Lok AS. Impact of the timing of hepatitis B virus identification and anti-hepatitis B virus therapy initiation on the risk of adverse liver outcomes for patients receiving cancer therapy. Cancer 123(17):3367-3376, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28518219.
- Hwang JP, Lok, AS.. Management of patients with hepatitis B who require immunosuppressive therapy. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol(4):209-19, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24247262.
- Yi JK, Lackey SC, Zahn MP, Castaneda J, Hwang JP.. Human Papillomavirus Knowledge and Awareness Among Vietnamese Mothers. J Comm Health, 2013. PMID: 23775032.
- Mahale P, Kontoyiannis DP, Chemaly RF, Jiang Y, Hwang JP, Davila M, Torres HA. Acute exacerbation and reactivation of chronic hepatitis C virus infection in cancer patients. J Hepatol 57(6):1177-85, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22871500.
- Hwang JP, Vierling JM, Zelenetz AD, Lackey SC, Loomba R.. Hepatitis B virus management to prevent reactivation after chemotherapy: a review. Support Care Cancer 20(11):2999-3008, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22933131.
- Hwang JP, Roundtree AK, Giralt SA, Suarez Almazor M. Late effects and healthcare needs of survivors of allogeneic stem cell transplantation: a qualitative study. BMJ Support Palliat Care, 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Majumdar A, Curley S, Wu X, Brown P, Hwang JP, Shetty K, Yao Z, He AR, Li S, Katz L, Farci P, Mishra L.. Hepatic stem cells: transforming growth factor-b in hepatocellular carcinoma. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 9(9):530-8, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22710573.
- Hwang JP, Fisch MJ, Zhang H, Kallen M, Routbort M, Lal L, Vierling JM, Suarez-Almazor M. Low Rates of Hepatitis B Virus Screening at the Onset of Chemotherapy (selected by editorial office for 8/2012 podcast interview). J Oncol Pract 8(4):e32-39, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23180996.
- Hwang JP, Roundtree AK, Suarez-Almazor M. Attitudes toward Hepatitis B Virus among Vietnamese, Chinese and Korean Americans in the Houston Area, Texas. J Comm Health 37(5):1091-1100, 2012. PMID: 22302653.
- Kallen MA, Terrell JA, Lewis-Patterson P, Hwang JP.. Improving wait time for chemotherapy in an outpatient clinic at a comprehensive cancer center (selected by editorial office for 3/2012 podcast interview). J Oncol Pract 8(1):1-7, 2012. PMID: 22548015.
- Choi JY, Hwang JP, Yi JK. Acculturation, Body Perception, Health Behaviors and Weight Status among Vietnamese. J Immigr Minor Health 13(6):1116-1124, 2011. PMID: 21487778.
- Hwang JP, Holmes HM, Kallen MA, Ensor J, Etchegaray J, Saab R, Arbuckle RB, King KM, Escalante CP. Accuracy of reporting current medications by cancer patients presenting to an emergency center. Support Care Cancer 18(10):1347-54, 2010. PMID: 19838868.
- Hwang JP, Mohseni M, Gor BJ, Wen S, Guerrero H, Vierling JM. Hepatitis B and hepatitis C prevalence and treatment referral among Asian Americans undergoing community-based hepatitis screening. Am J Public Health 100 Suppl 1:S118-24, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20147697.
- Hwang JP, Roundtree AK, Engebretson JC, Suarez-Almazor ME. Medical care of hepatitis B among Asian American populations: perspectives from three provider groups. J Gen Intern Med 25(3):220-7, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20049549.
- Hwang JP, Patlan J, de Achaval S, Escalante CP. Survival in cancer patients after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Support Care Cancer 18(1):51-5, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19350284.
- Zhukovsky DS, Hwang JP, Palmer JL, Willey J, Flamm AL, Smith ML. Wide variation in content of inpatient do-not-resuscitate order forms used at National Cancer Institute-designated cancer centers in the United States. Support Care Cancer 17(2):109-15, 2009. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18682989.
- Hwang JP, Hassan MM. Survival and hepatitis status among Asian Americans with hepatocellular carcinoma treated without liver transplantation. BMC Cancer(9):46, 2009. PMID: 19193234.
- Hwang JP, Huang CH, Yi JK. Knowledge about hepatitis B and predictors of hepatitis B vaccination among Vietnamese American college students. J Am Coll Health 56(4):377-82, 2008. PMID: 18316280.
- Gor BJ, Jones LA, Hwang JP, Wei Q, Hoang T. Houston AANCART best practices: from vision to synergy to reality. Cancer 104(12 Suppl):2909-15, 2005. PMID: 16270323.
- Hwang JP, Lam TP, Cohen DS, Donato ML, Geraci JM. Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation among patients with leukemia of all ages in Texas. Cancer 101(10):2230-8, 2004. PMID: 15484218.
- Hwang JP, Smith ML, Flamm AL. Challenges in outpatient end-of-life care: wishes to avoid resuscitation. J Clin Oncol 22(22):4643-5, 2004. PMID: 15542814.
|Title:||HBV reactivation among cancer patients receiving chemotherapy|
|Funding Source:||NIH/NCI K07 Career Development Award|
|Title:||Widespread vs. selective screening for hepatitis B infection prior to chemotherapy, CA167202-01A1|
|Funding Source:||NIH/NCI R21|
|Title:||Human Papillomavirus (HPV)-Associated Second Malignancies in Patients Who Receive Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation: Prospective Cohort|
|Funding Source:||Duncan Family Institute Seed Funding Research Program|
|Title:||Human Papillomavirus Antibody Response After GARDASIL® 9 Vaccination In Patients After Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation|
|Funding Source:||Merck & Co., Inc|
|Title:||SWOG S1614: A Phase III Randomized Trial of Prophylactic Antiviral Therapy in Patients with Current or Past Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) Infection Receiving Anti CancerTherapy for Solid Tumors|