About Dr. Leung
Dr. Jessica Leung is Professor of Diagnostic Radiology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. She is Section Chief of Breast Imaging at MD Anderson Cancer Center, overseeing the section's clinical operations, research and educational endeavors, and faculty development.
Dr. Leung graduated from Harvard University with summa cum laude honors followed by medical training at Harvard Medical School. She completed both her Diagnostics Radiology Residency and Women's Imaging Fellowship at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF). Upon completion of her training, Dr. Leung has served as faculty a Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, and UCSF. She ahs also served as Medical Director of the Breast Health Center at California Pacific Medical Center (Sutter Health), which is a large comprehensive nationally recognized breast center in San Francisco.
Dr. Leung has a long record of national service. Currently, she is a member of the American College of Radiology (ACRA) Committees on Economics, Education, and BI-RADS. She has also served on the ACR Committee on Government Relations and Stereotactic Biopsy. She remains an active clinical reviewer for the ACR Stereotactic, Biopsy Accreditation Program and serves on the Board of Directors of the National Accreditation Program and serves on a Board of Directors of the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
Dr. Leung has published practice-setting, peer-reviewed research studies and review articles in breast imaging. She has lectured extensively both nationally and internationally and has received many awards and recognitions, including the American Roentgen Ray Scholar and UCSF Outstanding Teacher Award. She has been honored as Fellow of American College of Radiology and a Fellow of the Society of Breast Imaging.
Section Chief, Breast Imaging, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Outcomes analyses in clinical breast imaging and population-based studies, especially in areas of utilization, cost-effectiveness, delivery of care, predictive values, multimodality correlation, and minimally invasive biopsy.
High resolution of Breast Ultrasound
Multidisciplinary approach to breast cancer diagnostic and treatment
Multimodality breast imaging
|1993||Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1989||Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA, AB, Biology|
|1998-1999||Fellowship, Breast Imaging and Women's Imaging University of California, San Francisco, CA|
|1994-1998||Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA|
|1993-1994||Internship, Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA|
|1998||American Board of Radiology|
|1986||William L. Thomas Scholar, awarded on academic achievements by Harvard Club. (First woman to receive the award since its establishment in 1923)|
|1986||The Detur Prize, awarded for academic performance to top 50 of the 1,600 students in the freshman class of Harvard|
- Mayo RC, Leung JW. Novel Wireless Cardiac Monitor Located in the Breast: Imaging Appearance and Function. Breast J 23(5):599-601, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28295867.
- Nayak L, Miyake KK, Leung JW, Price ER, Liu YI, Joe BN, Sickles EA, Thomas WR, Lipson JA, Daniel BL, Hargreaves J, Brenner RJ, Bassett LW, Ojeda-Fournier H, Lindfors KK, Feig SA, Ikeda DM. Impact of breast density legislation on breast cancer risk assessment and supplement screening: a survey of 110 radiology facilities. Breast J 22(5):493-500, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27296462.
- Price ER, Hargreaves J, Lipson JA, Sickles EA, Brenner RJ, Lindfors KK, Joe BN, Leung JWT, Feig SA, Bassett LW, Ojeda-Fournier H, Daniel BL, Kurian AW, Love E, Ryan L, Walgenbach DD, Ikeda DM. The California Breast Density Information Group: a collaborative response to the issues of breast density, breast cancer risk, and breast density notification legislation. Radiology 2013; 269:269:887-892, 2013.
- Arasu VA, Joe BN, Lvoff NM, Leung JWT, Brenner RJ, Flowers CI, Moore DH, Sickles EA. Benefit of semiannual ipsilateral mammographic surveillance following breast conservation therapy. Radiology 264:264:371-377, 2012.
- Leung JWT. MR imaging in the evaluation of equivocal clinical and imaging findings of the breast. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 18(2):295-308, ix-x, 2010. PMID: 20494313.
- Chang CB, Lvoff NM, Leung JW, Brenner RJ, Joe BN, Tso HH, Sickles EA. Solitary dilated duct identified at mammography: outcomes analysis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 194(2):378-82, 2010. PMID: 20093599.
- Leung JWT, Margolin FR, Dee KE, Jacobs RP, Denny SR, Schrumpf JD. Performance parameters for screening and diagnostic mammography in a community practice: are there differences between specialists and general radiologists?. Am J Roentgenol 188:188:236-241, 2007.
- Leung JWT, Sickles EA. Developing asymmetry identified at mammography: correlation with imaging outcome and pathologic findings. Am J Roentgenol 188:188:667-675, 2007.
- Teh HS, Chiang SH, Leung JWT. Tan SM, Mancer JFK. Rapidly enlarging tumoral pseudoangiomatous stromal hyperplasia in a 15-year-old girl: distinguishing sonographic andmagnetic resonance imaging findings and correlation with histologic findings. J Ultrasound Med 26:26:1101-1106, 2007.
- Lvoff NM, Leung JWT. Primary angiosarcoma of the breast: correlative imaging and pathology. Semin Roentgenol 42:42:208-210, 2007.
- Elicker BM, Leung JWT, Reddy GP, Gotway MB. Unilateral thoracic opacification with volume loss: diagnostic considerations. Clin Pulm Med 13:13:70-72, 2006.
- Dawn SK, Elicker BM, Leung JWT, Reddy GP, Gotway MB. The silicone syndrome. Clin Pulm Med 13:13:146-147, 2006.
- Jue KF, Lewin JM, Isaacs PK, Singh M, Leung JWT. Unusual sonographic appearance of. J Ultrasound Med 25:25:663-666, 2006.
- Hoxworth JM, Hanks DK, Araoz PA, Elicker BM, Reddy GP, Webb WR, Leung JWT, Gotway MB. Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of the lung: radiologic features and pathologic. Am J Roentgenol 186:186:1294-1299, 2006.
- Lee TJ, Leung JWT, Reddy GP, Gotway MB. Persistent lobar consolidation: diagnostic considerations. Clin Pulm Med 13:13:258-261, 2006.
- Esserman LJ, Ku3/AS, Herrera AF, Leung J, Au A, Chen YY, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging captures the biology of ductal carcinoma in situ. J Clin Oncol:24:4603-4610, 2006.
- Ku3/AS, Chen DF, Au A, Chen YY, Leung J, Garwood ER, et al. Biologic significance of false-positive magnetic resonance imaging enhancement in the setting of ductal carcinoma in situ. Am J Surg 192:192:520-524, 2006.
- Ludeman N, Elicker BM, Reddy GP, Webb WR, Leung JW, Gotway MB. Atypical rounded atelectasis: diagnosis and management based on results of F-18 FDG positron emission tomography. Clin Nucl Med 30(11):734-5, 2005. PMID: 16237298.
- Gotway MB, Araoz PA, Macedo TA, Stanson AW, Higgins CB, Ring EJ, Dawn SK, Webb WR, Leung JW, Reddy GP. Imaging findings in Takayasu's arteritis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 184(6):1945-50, 2005. PMID: 15908559.
- Gotway MB, Dotson RH, Dawn SK, Leung JWT, Warnock ML. Hypoxemia in a patient with end-stage liver disease. Clin Pulm Med 12:12:61-66, 2005.
- Leung JWT, Gotway MB, Sickles EA. Preoperative embolization of vascular phyllodes tumor of the breast. Am J Roentgenol 184:184:S115-117, 2005.
- Gotway MB, Leung JWT. Dyspnea in a young woman with chest radiography showing large. Clin Pulm Med 12:12:135-138, 2005.
- Gotway MB, Araoz PA, Macedo TA, Stanson AW, Higgins CB, Ring EJ, Dawn SK, Webb WR, Leung JWT, Reddy GP. Imaging findings in Takayasu arteritis. Am J Roentgenol 184:184:1945-1950, 2005.
- Sickles EA, Miglioretti DL, Ballard-Barbash R, Geller BM, Leung JWT, Rosenberg RD, Smith-Bindman R, Yankaskas BC. Performance benchmarks for diagnostic mammography. Radiology 235:235:775-790, 2005.
- Kerlikowske K, Creasman J, Leung JWT , Smith-Bindman R, Ernster VL. Differences in screening mammography outcomes among White, Chinese and Filipino Women. Arch Intern Med 165:165:1862-1868, 2005.
- Gotway MB, Elicker BM, Leung JWT. Enhancing thoracic lymphadenopathy: uncommon etiologies but limited diagnostic considerations. Clin Pulm Med 12:12:200-203, 2005.
- Hariri A, Elicker BM, Reddy GP, Webb WR, Leung JWT, Gotway MB. Malignant tracheobronchial glomus tumor: CT and virtual bronchoscopic findings with bronchoscopic and pathologic correlation. Clin Pulm Med 12:12:286-289, 2005.
- Elicker BM, Leung JWT , Reddy GP, Gotway MB. A slowly growing extrapulmonary mass: imaging considerations. Clin Pulm Med 12:12:328-331, 2005.
- Gotway MB, Leung JWT, Dawn SK, Hill A. Non-resolving pneumonia in an otherwise. Clin Pulm Med 11:11:198-200, 2004.
- Gotway MB, Leung JW, Gooding GA, Litt HI, Reddy GP, Morita ET, Webb WR, Clark OH, Higgins CB. Hyperfunctioning parathyroid tissue: spectrum of appearances on noninvasive imaging. AJR Am J Roentgenol 179(2):495-502, 2002. PMID: 12130462.
- Leung JWT, Kornguth PK, Gotway MB. Utility of targeted ultrasound in evaluation of focal breast pain. J Ultrasound Med 21:21:521-526, 2002.
- Margolin FR, Leung JW, Jacobs RP, Denny SR. Percutaneous imaging-guided core breast biopsy: 5 years' experience in a community hospital. AJR Am J Roentgenol 177(3):559-64, 2001. PMID: 11517047.
- Gotway MB, Tchao NK, Leung JW, Hanks DK, Thomas AN. Sarcoidosis presenting as an enlarging solitary pulmonary nodule. J Thorac Imaging 16(2):117-22, 2001. PMID: 11292203.
- Pearson KL, Sickles EA, Frankel SD, Leung JWT. Efficacy of step-oblique mammography for confirmation and localization of densities seen on only one standard mammographic view. AJR Am J Roentgenol 174(3):745-752, 2000. PMID: 10701619.
- Leung JWT, Coakley FV, Hricak H, Harrison MR, Farmer DL, Albanese CT, Filly RA. Pernatal MR imaging of congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Am J Roentgenol:174:1607- 1612, 2000.
- Leung JWT, Sickles EA. Multiple bilateral masses detected at mammographic screening: assessment of need for recall imaging. Am J Roentgenol:175:23-29, 2000.
- Boland GW, Lee MJ, Leung J, Mueller PR. Precutaneous cholecystostomy in critically ill patients: early response and final outcome in 82 patients. Am J Roentgenol 163:163:339- 342, 1994.
- Ezzell RM, Leung JWT, Collins K, Chafel MM, Cardozo TJ, Matsudaira PT. Expression and localization of villin, fimbrin, and myosin I in differentiating mouse F9 teratocarcinoma cells. Dev Biol 151(2):575-585, 1992. PMID: 1601186.
- Epstein EH, Langston AW, Leung JWT. Sulfation reactions of the epidermis. Ann N Y Acad Sci 548:548:97-101, 1988. PMID: 3073707.
- Leung JW. Utility of second-look ultrasound in the evaluation of MRI-detected breast lesions. Semin Roentgenol 46(4):260-74, 2011. PMID: 22035668.
- Leung JWT, Sickles EA. The probably benign assessment. Radiol Clin N Am 45:45:773-789, 2007.
- Amaral BB, Meurer L, Whitman GJ, Leung JWT. Lymph node status in the breast cancer patient: sampling techniques and prognostic significance. Semin Roentgenol:42:253-264, 2007.
- Gotway MB, Reddy GP, Webb WR, Elicker BM, Leung JWT. High-resolution CT of the lung: patterns of disease and differential diagnoses. Radiol Clin N Am 43:43:513-542, 2005.
- Leung JWT. New modalities in breast imaging: digital mammography, positron emission tomography, and sestamibi scintimammography. Radiol Clin N Am 40:40:467-482, 2002.
- Leung JWT. Commentary on Dynamic MR imaging of breast lesions: correlation with microvessel distribution pattern and histologic characteristics of prognosis. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 18, 2007.
- Leung JW. Screening mammography reduces morbidity of breast cancer treatment. Am J Roentgenol 184:184:1508-1509, 2005.
- Leung JWT, Denny MR, Margolin FR, Ching BC. Lobular neoplasia identified at image- guided core biopsy of the breast: is surgical excision indicated?, 2009.
- Ching BC, Leung JWT, Denny MR, Margolin FR. Second-look ultrasound in assessing MRI-detected breast lesions: can absence of a sonographic correlate be used to exclude cancer?, 2009.
- Chhor CM, Leung JWT, Sickles EA. Palpation-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of sonographic breast lesions: imaging-pathology correlation, 2008.
- Lvoff NM, Leung JWT, Sickles EA, Brenner RJ. The single dilated duct identified at mammography: outcomes analysis, 2007.
- Leung JWT, Sickles EA, Chen J, Lvoff N, Brenner RJ. Architectural distortion identified at screening mammography: correlation with pathology and imaging outcome, 2007.
- Barajas R, Han M, Franc B, Leung J, Falk M, Hawkins R. Use of position emission tomography and magnetic resonance imaging in the detection of recurrent breast cancer. Society of Nuclear Medicine, 2006.
- Leung JWT, Sickles EA. Developing asymmetry identified at mammography: correlation with pathology and imaging outcome. Am J Roentgenol 186:186:A64, 2006.
- Leung JWT, Margolin FR, Gotway MB, Jacobs RP, Denny SR, Schrumpf JD. Contribution of computer assistance to cancer detection in 105,336 screening mammograms. Am J Roentgeno 186:186:A63, 2006.
- Leung JWT, Fan B, Kerlikowske K, Chen J, Shepherd JA. Single X-ray absorptiometry for measuring breast density compared with visual inspection by radiologists: inter- and intraobserver variability. Am J Roentgenol 186:186:A29, 2006.
- Chiang SH, Leung JWT, Sickles EA. Features of breast cancers identified at mammography in women younger than age 40. Am J Roentgenol 186:186:A65, 2006.
- Lvoff N, Sickles EA, Leung JWT. Clinical outcomes when breast biopsy is recommended by the radiologist but not performed. Am J Roentgenol 186:186:A66, 2006.
- Leung JWT, Hanke AL, Au A, Lee SK, Gotway MB, Sickles EA. Hylton NM. MR imaging features of invasive mucinious carcinoma of the breast. Eur Radiol 16:16:E104-105, 2006.
- Gotway MB, Leung JW, Caoili EM, Dawn SK, Reddy GP, Berger WG. Multiorgan imaging of coccidioides imitis infection. Radiology, 2004.
- Gotway MB, Araoz PA, Stanson AW, Higgins CB, Ring EJ, Leung JW, et al. Takayasu arteritis: imaging findings. Radiology, 2004.
- Gotway MB, Leung JWT, Gooding GA, Litt HI, Reddy GP, Webb WR. Hyperfunctioning parathyroid tissue: spectrum of appearances on noninvasive imaging. Am J Roentgenol 180(S):180(S):116, 2003.
- Leung JWT, Misono S, Smith DN, et al. Clinical utility of large-core needle breast biopsy in pregnant or post-partum women. Am J Roentgenol 178(S):178(S):61, 2002.
- Leung JWT, Margolin FR, Lester SC, Jacobs RP, Denny SR, Meyer JE. Benign papillary breast lesions diagnosed at large-core needle biopsy: correlation with surgical pathology and clinical outcome. Am J Roentgenol 178(S):178(S):59-60, 2002.
- Leung JW, Sedgwick EL, Halpern EF, Lester SC, Meyer JE. Large-core needle biopsy in the irradiated post-lumpectomy breast: clinical utility, imaging features, and pathologic outcomes. Radiology 225(P):225(P):511, 2002.
- Kornguth PK,Leung JW, Zou, KH. Is ultrasound of value in the evaluation of focal breast pain?. Radiology 221(P):221(P):606, 2001.
- Leung J, Meyer JE, Kaelin CM, Gotway MB, Smith DN, Rhei E, Lester S, Lorans R. Surgical breast biopsy after wire localization: improvement in positive predictive value 7 years. Am J Roentgenol 176(S):176(S):42, 2001.
- Leung J, Lester SC, Kornguth PJ, Meyer JE. Extravasated mucin at large-core needle breast biopsy: correlation with surgical pathology and clinical outcome. Am J Roentgenol 176:176(S):45, 2001.
- Leung JW, Kornguth PJ. Utility of targeted ultrasound in the evaluation of focal breast pain. Radiology 217:217(P):319, 2000.
- Leung JWT, Kinkel K, Wang WL, Sickles EA, Hylton NM. Morphologic and kinetic characteristics of lobular carcinoma of the breast at MR imaging. Am J Roentgenol 174(S):174(S):48, 2000.
- Leung JWT, Meyer JE, Smith DN. Enlarging breast masses initially diagnosed as benign at large-core needle biopsy: correlation with surgical pathology. Am J Roentgenol 174:174(S): 4, 2000.
- Leung JWT, Sickles EA. Multiple bilateral masses detected at mammographic screening: assessment of the need for recall examination. Am J Roentgenol 172(S):172(S):48, 1999.
- Leung JWT, Maas KL, Hunt KA, Frankel SD, Sickles EA. Sonographic evaluation of hypoechoic breast cysts: value of power Doppler imaging. Am J Roentgenol 172 (S):172(S):88, 1999.
- Gotway MB, Berger WG, Leung JWT. Pulmonary Infections. In: Thoracic Imaging Pulmonary and Cardiovascular Radiology. 1. (ed. WR Webb & CB Higgins), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins,: Philadelphia, 2005.
- Morris DG, Gotway MB, Homer RJ, Noble PW, Leung JWT, Reynolds HY, Matthay RA. Diffuse Parenchymal and Alveolar Lung Diseases. In: Chest Medicine: The Essentials of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. 5. (ed. RB George, RW Light, MA Matthay, RA Matthay), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia, 2005.
Books (edited and written)
- Hricak H, Coakley F, Leung J, Meux M, Varghese SL. Urogenital Imaging in the Encyclopaedia of Medical Imaging. The NICER Institute,: Oslo, 1999.
Letters to the Editor
- Price ER, Hargreaves J, Lipson JA, Sickles EA, Brenner RJ, Lindfors KK, Joe BN, Leung JWT, Feig SA, Bassett LW, Ojeda-Fournier H, Daniel BL, Kurian AW, Love E, Ryan L, Walgenbach DD, Ikeda DM. Response on The California Breast Density Information Group: a collaborative response to the issues of breast density, breast cancer risk, and breast density notification legislation. Radiology 271: 271:927-8, 2014.
- Sickles EA, Pearson KL, Frankel SD, Leung JWT. Efficacy of step-oblique mammography [letter to editor]. Am J Roentgenol 176: 176:545, 2000.