About Dr. Hazle
Dr. John D. Hazle is a medical physicist with over 30 years of academic experience. He is board-certified and licensed in Texas for both therapeutic and diagnostic medical physics. His primary research interests are image-guided therapy, pre-clinical imaging, novel early detection technologies and computational modeling. Dr. Hazle shares leadership of the Image Guided Therapy Lab with Dr. Jason Stafford where their work primarily focuses on developing novel approaches to image temperature using MRI. Dr. Hazle has been the Director of the NCI funded Small Animal Cancer Imaging Research Facility for 20 years and was the Director of the NCI funded Experimental Cancer Imaging Research Program from 2008-2012. He has won numerous awards, most recently MD Anderson's President's Recognition for Faculty Excellence Award in 2014.
Dr. Hazle serves on multiple institutional committees, engages as a medical imaging expert with industry partners, and is currently a journal reviewer for six peer reviewed scientific journals. He is a past President of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine and the Commission for Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs. Dr. Hazle is considered a renowned expert in biomedical imaging and MRI physics. He is frequently an invited presenter at national and international conferences. Dr. Hazle also holds the Bernard W. Biedenharn Chair in Cancer Research and has a faculty appointment with The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
Chairman, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Radiation Physics, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Faculty, The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Department of Radiology, University of Texas Medical School, Houston, TX
Faculty, Department of Keck Center for Computational and Structural Biology, Rice University, Houston, TX
Image guided therapy, MR temperature imaging, pre-clinical imaging, novel early detection technologies.
MR imaging, MR guided interventions and surgery and MR guided radiation therapy.
|1989||The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX, USA, PHD, Biophysics|
|1983||University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA, MS, Medical Physics|
|1981||University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA, BS, Physics|
|1998||American Board of Medical Physics (MRI Physics)|
|1996||American Board of Radiology (Diagnostic Radiologic Physics)|
|1992||American Board of Radiology (Therapeutic Radiological Physics)|
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Center for Advanced Biomedical Imaging Research, Steering Committee, 2004 - Present
Bernard W. Biedenharn Chair in Cancer Research, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - Present
|2015||2015 Provost's Distinguished Clinical Faculty Mentor Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||President's Recognition for Faculty Excellence, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2011||Fellow, American College of Radiology|
|2003||Fellow, American Association of Physicists in Medicine|
- Sovizi J, Mathieu KB, Thrower SL, Stefan W, Hazle JD, Fuentes D. Gaussian process classification of superparamagnetic relaxometry data: Phantom study. Artif Intell Med 82:47-59, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28911905.
- Gatos I, Tsantis S, Spiliopoulos S, Karnabatidis D, Theotokas I, Zoumpoulis P, Loupas T, Hazle JD, Kagadis GC. A Machine-Learning Algorithm Toward Color Analysis for Chronic Liver Disease Classification, Employing Ultrasound Shear Wave Elastography. Ultrasound Med Biol 43(9):1797-1810, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28634041.
- Ger RB, Mohamed ASR, Awan MJ, Ding Y, Li K, Fave XJ, Beers AL, Driscoll B, Elhalawani H, Hormuth DA, Houdt PJV, He R, Zhou S, Mathieu KB, Li H, Coolens C, Chung C, Bankson JA, Huang W, Wang J, Sandulache VC, Lai SY, Howell RM, Stafford RJ, Yankeelov TE, Heide UAV, Frank SJ, Barboriak DP, Hazle JD, Court LE, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Fuller CD. A Multi-Institutional Comparison of Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging Parameter Calculations. Sci Rep 7(1):11185, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28894197.
- Gatos I, Tsantis S, Karamesini M, Spiliopoulos S, Karnabatidis D, Hazle JD, Kagadis GC. Focal liver lesions segmentation and classification in nonenhanced T2-weighted MRI. Med Phys 44(7):3695-3705, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28432822.
- Yung JP, Fuentes D, MacLellan CJ, Maier F, Liapis Y, Hazle JD, Stafford RJ. Referenceless Magnetic Resonance Temperature Imaging using Gaussian Process Modeling. Med Phys 44(7):3545-3555, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28317125.
- Zheng B, Yu E, Orendorff R, Lu K, Konkle JJ, Tay ZW, Hensley D, Zhou XY, Chandrasekharan P, Saritas EU, Goodwill PW, Hazle JD, Conolly SM. Seeing SPIOs Directly In Vivo with Magnetic Particle Imaging. Mol Imaging Biol 19(3):385-390, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28396973.
- Lin JS, Fuentes DT, Chandler A, Prabhu SS, Weinberg JS, Baladandayuthapani V, Hazle JD, Schellingerhout D. Performance Assessment for Brain MR Imaging Registration Methods. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 38(5):973-980, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28279984.
- Son JB, Hwang KP, Madewell JE, Bayram E, Hazle JD, Low RN, Ma J. A flexible fast spin echo triple-echo Dixon technique. Magn Reson Med 77(3):1049-1057, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26982770.
- Song H, Ruan D, Liu W, Stenger VA, Pohmann R, Fernández-Seara MA, Nair T, Jung S, Luo J, Motai Y, Ma J, Hazle JD, Gach HM. Respiratory motion prediction and prospective correction for free-breathing arterial spin labeled perfusion MRI of the kidneys. Med Phys 44(3):962-973, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28074528.
- Madankan R, Stefan W, Fahrenholtz SJ, MacLellan CJ, Hazle JD, Stafford RJ, Weinberg JS, Rao G, Fuentes D. Accelerated magnetic resonance thermometry in the presence of uncertainties. Phys Med Biol 62(1):214-245, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27991449.
- Ma J, Son JB, Hazle JD. An improved region growing algorithm for phase correction in MRI. Magn Reson Med 76(2):519-29, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26362527.
- Gatos I, Tsantis S, Spiliopoulos S, Karnabatidis D, Theotokas I, Zoumpoulis P, Loupas T, Hazle JD, Kagadis GC. A new computer aided diagnosis system for evaluation of chronic liver disease with ultrasound shear wave elastography imaging. Med Phys 43(3):1428, 2016. PMID: 26936727.
- Messer JA, Mohamed AS, Hutcheson KA, Ding Y, Lewin JS, Wang J, Lai SY, Frank SJ, Garden AS, Sandulache V, Eichelberger H, French CC, Colen RR, Phan J, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Hazle JD, Rosenthal DI, Gunn GB, Fuller CD. Magnetic resonance imaging of swallowing-related structures in nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients receiving IMRT: Longitudinal dose-response characterization of quantitative signal kinetics. Radiother Oncol 118(2):315-22, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26830697.
- Ding Y, Hazle JD, Mohamed AS, Frank SJ, Hobbs BP, Colen RR, Gunn GB, Wang J, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Garden AS, Lai SY, Rosenthal DI, Fuller CD. Intravoxel incoherent motion imaging kinetics during chemoradiotherapy for human papillomavirus-associated squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx: preliminary results from a prospective pilot study. NMR Biomed 28(12):1645-54, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26451969.
- Bankson JA, Walker CM, Ramirez MS, Stefan W, Fuentes D, Merritt ME, Lee J, Sandulache VC, Chen Y, Phan L, Chou PC, Rao A, Yeung SC, Lee MH, Schellingerhout D, Conrad CA, Malloy C, Sherry AD, Lai SY, Hazle JD. Kinetic Modeling and Constrained Reconstruction of Hyperpolarized [1-13C]-Pyruvate Offers Improved Metabolic Imaging of Tumors. Cancer Res 75(22):4708-17, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26420214.
- Rubinstein AE, Liao Z, Melancon AD, Guindani M, Followill DS, Tailor RC, Hazle JD, Court LE. Technical Note: A Monte Carlo study of magnetic-field-induced radiation dose effects in mice. Med Phys 42(9):5510, 2015. PMID: 26328998.
- Ding Y, Mohamed AS, Yang J, Colen RR, Frank SJ, Wang J, Wassal EY, Wang W, Kantor ME, Balter PA, Rosenthal DI, Lai SY, Hazle JD, Fuller CD. Prospective observer and software-based assessment of magnetic resonance imaging quality in head and neck cancer: Should standard positioning and immobilization be required for radiation therapy applications?. Pract Radiat Oncol 5(4):e299-308, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25544553.
- Gatos I, Tsantis S, Spiliopoulos S, Skouroliakou A, Theotokas I, Zoumpoulis P, Hazle JD, Kagadis GC. A new automated quantification algorithm for the detection and evaluation of focal liver lesions with contrast-enhanced ultrasound. Med Phys 42(7):3948-3959, 2015. PMID: 26133595.
- Wang J, Hwang K, Fuller C, Mohamed A, Ding Y, Frank S, Hazle J, Zhou J. SU-E-J-225: CEST Imaging in Head and Neck Cancer Patients. Med Phys 42(6):3317, 2015. PMID: 26127617.
- Ding Y, Fuller C, Mohamed A, Wang J, Hazle J. TU-F-CAMPUS-I-01: Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Short-Term Repeatability of Apparent Diffusion Coefficient and Intravoxel Incoherent Motion Parameters at 3.0T. Med Phys 42(6):3646, 2015. PMID: 26129125.
- Phan L, Chou PC, Velazquez-Torres G, Samudio I, Parreno K, Huang Y, Tseng C, Vu T, Gully C, Su CH, Wang E, Chen J, Choi HH, Fuentes-Mattei E, Shin JH, Shiang C, Grabiner B, Blonska M, Skerl S, Shao Y, Cody D, Delacerda J, Kingsley C, Webb D, Carlock C, Zhou Z, Hsieh YC, Lee J, Elliott A, Ramirez M, Bankson J, Hazle J, Wang Y, Li L, Weng S, Rizk N, Wen YY, Lin X, Wang H, Wang H, Zhang A, Xia X, Wu Y, Habra M, Yang W, Pusztai L, Yeung SC, Lee MH. The cell cycle regulator 14-3-3σ opposes and reverses cancer metabolic reprogramming. Nat Commun 6:7530, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26179207.
- Fahrenholtz SJ, Moon TY, Franco M, Medina D, Danish S, Gowda A, Shetty A, Maier F, Hazle JD, Stafford RJ, Warburton T, Fuentes D. A model evaluation study for treatment planning of laser-induced thermal therapy. Int J Hyperthermia 31(7):1-10, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26368014.