About Dr. Livingston
Dr. Livingston recently joined the faculty in Sarcoma Medical Oncology and has joint appointment in Pediatric Oncology. Originally from Colorado, he moved to Texas to attend medical school at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. He went on to residency training at Duke University where he completed a combined residency in internal medicine and pediatrics and is board certified in both internal medicine and general pediatrics. Dr. Livingston completed his fellowship training here at MD Anderson where he served as the Chief Fellow for Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Program. Dr. Livingston has a particular interest in the care of adolescents and young adults with cancer and is leading efforts to develop a dedicated adolescent and young adult (AYA) oncology program at MD Anderson. His clinical and laboratory research is focused on developing new treatment strategies for patients with osteosarcoma. Outside of work, he enjoys spending time with family, cycling, cooking, and traveling.
Assistant Professor, Department of Sarcoma Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics Patient Care, Division of Pediatrics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2017||University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX, USA, MS, Biomedical sciences, Clinical/Translational Research|
|2009||University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2005||University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, USA, BA, Biochemistry|
|2015-2016||Chief Fellow, Hematology and Medical Oncology Fellowship Program, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2013-2016||Clinical Fellowship, Hematology and Medical Oncology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2009-2013||Clinical Residency, Combined program in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC|
|2016||American Board of Internal Medicine-Hemotology|
|2016||American Board of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology|
|2014||American Board of Internal Medicine|
|2013||American Board of Pediatrics|
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, MD Anderson Young Adult Advisory Council, 2016 - Present
|2016||ASCO/CCF Young Investigator Award|
|2015||Connie and Jim Walter Endowed Fellowship in Sarcoma Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2008||Gold Humanism Honor Society|
|2008||Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society|
- Avila JC, Livingston JA, Rodriguez AM, Kirchhoff AC, Kuo YF, Kaul S. Disparities in Adolescent and Young Adult Sarcoma Survival: Analyses of the Texas Cancer Registry and the National SEER Data. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol 7(6):681-687, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30096005.
- Kaul S, Russell H, Livingston JA, Kirchhoff AC, Jupiter D. Emergency Department Visits by Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Patients Compared with Pediatric Cancer Patients in the United States. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol 7(5):553-564, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29924663.
- Livingston JA, Wang WL, Tsai JW, Lazar AJ, Leung CH, Lin H, Advani S, Daw N, Santiago-O'Farrill J, Hollomon M, Gordon NB, Kleinerman ES. Analysis of HSP27 and the autophagy marker LC3B+ puncta following preoperative chemotherapy identifies high-risk osteosarcoma patients. Mol Cancer Ther 17(6):1315-1323, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29592877.
- Wagner MJ, Gopalakrishnan V, Ravi V, Livingston JA, Conley AP, Araujo D, Somaiah N, Zarzour MA, Ratan R, Wang WL, Patel SR, Lazar A, Ludwig JA, Benjamin RS. Vincristine, Ifosfamide, and Doxorubicin for Initial Treatment of Ewing Sarcoma in Adults. Oncologist 22(10):1271-1277, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28710342.
- Livingston JA, Bugano D, Barbo A, Lin H, Madewell JE, Wang WL, Lazar AJ, Tseng WW, Roland CL, Feig BW, Pollock R, Conley AP, Benjamin RS, Patel S, Somaiah N. Role of chemotherapy in dedifferentiated liposarcoma of the retroperitoneum: defining the benefit and challenges of the standard. Sci Rep 7(1):11836, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28928422.
- Santiago-O'Farrill JM, Kleinerman ES, Hollomon MG, Livingston A, Wang WL, Tsai JW, Gordon NB. Phosphorylated heat shock protein 27 as a potential biomarker to predict the role of chemotherapy-induced autophagy in osteosarcoma response to therapy. Oncotarget 9(2):1602-1616, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29416717.
- McManus M, Kleinerman E, Yang Y, Livingston JA, Mortus J, Rivera R, Zweidler-McKay P, Schadler K. Hes4: A potential prognostic biomarker for newly diagnosed patients with high-grade osteosarcoma. Pediatr Blood Cancer 64(5), 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27786411.
- Livingston JA, Hess KR, Naing A, Hong DS, Patel S, Benjamin RS, Ludwig JA, Conley A, Herzog CE, Anderson P, Meric-Bernstam F, Kurzrock R, Subbiah V. Validation of prognostic scoring and assessment of clinical benefit for patients with bone sarcomas enrolled in phase I clinical trials. Oncotarget 7(39):64421-64430, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27486883.
- Wagner MJ, Livingston JA, Patel SR, Benjamin RS. Chemotherapy for Bone Sarcoma in Adults. J Oncol Pract 12(3):208-16, 2016. PMID: 26962160.
- Benjamin RS, Wagner MJ, Livingston JA, Ravi V, Patel SR. Chemotherapy for bone sarcomas in adults: the MD anderson experience. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book:e656-60, 2015. PMID: 25993237.
- Lamhamedi-Cherradi SE, Santoro M, Ramammoorthy V, Menegaz BA, Bartholomeusz G, Iles LR, Amin HM, Livingston JA, Mikos AG, Ludwig JA. 3D tissue-engineered model of Ewing's sarcoma. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 79-80:155-71, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25109853.
- Kanda J, Chiou LW, Szabolcs P, Sempowski GD, Rizzieri DA, Long GD, Sullivan KM, Gasparetto C, Chute JP, Morris A, McPherson J, Hale J, Livingston JA, Broadwater G, Niedzwiecki D, Chao NJ, Horwitz ME. Immune recovery in adult patients after myeloablative dual umbilical cord blood, matched sibling, and matched unrelated donor hematopoietic cell transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 18(11):1664-1676.e1, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22698485.
- Subbiah V, Bupathi M, Kato S, Livingston, A, Slopis, J, Anderson, P, Hong, DS. Clinical next-generation sequencing reveals aggressive cancer biology in adolescent and young adult patients. Oncoscience. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26328274.
- El Beaino M, Roszik J, Livingston JA, Wang WL, Lazar AJ, Amini B, Subbiah V, Lewis V, Conley AP. Mesenchymal chondrosarcoma: A review with emphasis on its fusion-driven biology. Curr Oncol Rep 20(5):37, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29582189.
- Roszik J, Wang WL, Livingston JA, Roland CL, Ravi V, Yee C, Hwu P, Futreal A, Lazar AJ, Patel SR, Conley AP. Overexpressed PRAME is a potential immunotherapy target in sarcoma subtypes. Clin Sarcoma Res 7:11, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28630682.
- Livingston JA, Beird HC, Wu C, Cao, Advani, Ingram, Wang WL, Lazar AJ, Leung, Lin, Reuben, Roszik, Wang W, Patel S, Benjamin R, Gorlick R, Lewis V, Futreal PA, Daw N. Parallel genomic and immune profiling of relapsed and metastatic osteosarcoma to reveal bases of low immunogenicity. ASCO Annual Meeting, 2018.
- Wu C, Beird HC, Livingston JA, Cao, Advani, Ingram, Wang WL, Lazar AJ, Leung, Lin, Reuben, Roszik, Wang W, Patel S, Benjamin R, Gorlick R, Lewis V, Daw N, Futreal PA. Genome and transcriptome profiling of relapsed and metastatic osteosarcoma. ASCO Annual Meeting, 2018.
- Livingston JA, Posey K, Subbiah VS, Daw N, Somaiah N, Ravi V, Patel S, Benjamin RS, Wang WL, Lazar AJ, Broaddus R, Meric-Bernstam F, Shaw K, Roszik J, Conley AP. Analysis of osteosarcoma subtypes by clinical genomic testing to identify clinically actionable alterations. ASCO Annual Meeting, 2017.
- Avila JC, Livingston JA, Rodriguez A, Kirchoff AC, Kue TF, Kaul S. Disparities in Survival Among Adolescent and Young Adult Patients with Sarcomas in Texas. AACR Annual Meeting 2017, 2017.
- Subbiah V, Conley A, Livingston JA, Lazar A, Meric-Bernstam F, Futreal A, Roszik J. Picking Antibody-drug conjugate targets for drug development for sarcoma: Diving deeper into TCGA. CTOS Annual Meeting, 2017.
- Ratan R, Livingston JA et al. CIC rearranged sarcomas. CTOS Annual Meeting, 2017.
- Conley AP, Livingston JA et al. Assessment of next-generation sequencing (NGS) for patients with chondrosarcoma. CTOS Annual Meeting, 2017.
- Roszik J, Conley AP, Livingston JA, Ravi V, Lazar A. Next-generation sequencing identifies immunotherapy targets in soft tissue sarcoma. Connective Tissue Oncology Society Annual Meeting, 2017.
- Livingston JA, Tsai J, Advani S, Daw N, Lazar A, Conley AP, Wang WL. Expression and clinical correlations of PRAME in osteosarcoma. Connective Tissue Oncology Society Annual Meeting, 2016.
- Wagner M, Livingston JA, Benjamin RS, et al. Vincristine, doxorubicin, and ifosfamide for the initial treatment of Ewing’s sarcoma in adults. Connective Tissue Oncology Society Annual Meeting, 2015.
- Livingston JA, Wagner M, Benjamin RS et al.. Tailored post-operative therapy in adult osteosarcoma improves outcomes in patients with poor necrosis: 30 years of treatment at MD Anderson. Connective Tissue Oncology Society Annual Meeting, 2015.
- Livingston JA, Ofarrill-Santiago J, Gordon N, Kleinerman ES. Heat shock protein 27 (HSP27) as a predictor of autophagic fate in chemotherapy-induced autophagy in osteosarcoma. Connective Tissue Oncology Society Annual Meeting, 2015.
- Livingston JA, Somaiah N, et al. Assessing chemotherapy benefit in well-differentiated and de-differentiated retroperitoneal liposarcoma. Connective Tissue Oncology Society Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Gomes D, Livingston JA, Somaiah N et al. Defining the chemotherapy (CT) response in well-differentiated (WD) and dedifferentiated (DD) liposarcomas (LPS) of the retroperitoneum (RP): a tertiary referral cancer center experience. ASCO Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Livingston JA, V Subbiah, et al. Eliciting early-response signals from first-in-human clinical trials and validation of prognostic scores in aggressive biology bone cancers: The MD Anderson experience. ASCO Annual Meeting 2014, 2014.
- Bupathi M, Livingston JA, Subbiah VS et al. Clinical Next Generation Sequencing of Adolescents and Young Adult (AYA) patients with Cancer Reveals Aggressive Biology: A Preliminary Report. AACR Annual Meeting 2014, 2014.
- Sharma S, Livingston JA, Hatch S. Higher pelvic/para-aortic lymph node metastasis probability in cervical cancer patients with unexplained leukocytosis: a retrospective review. Western Association of Gynecologic Oncologists Annual Meeting 2014, 2014.
- Livingston JA, Dave S, Rao AV. Evaluating oncogenic pathway dysregulation in adolescents and young adults with acute myeloid leukemia. ASCO Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Livingston JA, Conley AP, Ravi V, Patel S. Soft-Tissue and Bone Sarcomas. In: The MD Anderson Manual of Medical Oncology. 3rd. McGraw Hill Medical: New York, 2016.
|Title:||Conquer Cancer Foundation/Quad W Young Investigator Award in Memory of Willie Tichenor|
|Funding Source:||American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)|
|Title:||Paul Calabresi Clinical Oncology Research Career Development Program|
|Title:||A phase 2 trial of durvalumab and oleclumab in AYAs with metastatic osteosarcoma|
|Funding Source:||Osteosarcoma Institute|
|Funding Source:||MIB Agents|