Joseph R. Ruiz
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine, and Pain Medicine
Present Title & Affiliation
Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|1986||Cornell University Medical College, New York, USA, MD, Medical Doctor (with Honors in Research)|
|1982||The University Of Texas at Austin, Austin, USA, BS, Chemical Engineering|
|1989-1992||Residency in Anesthesiology, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston|
|1987-1989||Residency in General Surgery/Urology, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston|
|1986-1987||Internship in General Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston|
|2019||American Board of Medical Quality: Certified in Medical Quality|
|2010||American Board of Medical Quality|
|1993||American Board of Anesthesiology|
Experience & Service
Professor, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepat,& Nutr, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2019
- Van Meter A, Williams U, Zavala A, Kee J, Rebello E, Tsai J, Ifeanyi I, Ruiz J, Lim J, Owusu-Agyemang P. Beat to Beat: A Measured Look at the History of Pulse Oximetry. J Anesth Hist 3(1):38-43, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28160986.
- Long K, Ruiz JR, Kee S, Kowalski A, Goravanchi F, Cerny J, French K, Hernandez M, Perrier N, Rebello E.. Effect of Adjunctive Dexmedetomidine on Postoperative Intravenous Opioid Administration in Patients Undergoing Thyroidectomy in an Ambulatory Setting. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia 35:361-364, 2016. e-Pub 2016.
- Rebello E, Kowalski A, Kee S, Ruiz J, Rahlfs T. Implementing A Mentoring Program and Faculty Academic Productivity At the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ Annual Meeting. Anesthesia & Analgesia 123:97-98 · September 2016 123:97-8, 2016.
- Williams U, Van Meter A, Lim J, Vachhani S, Sabir S, Abdelsalam M, Ruiz JR. Radial nerve injury following renal radiofrequency ablation in the lateral decubitus position. Open Journal of Clinical & Medical Case Reports 2(7):1-6, 2016.
- Hagan K, Ruiz JR, Thirumurthi S, Arunkumar R. Total Intravenous Anesthesia Without an Endotracheal Tube for Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography and the Incidence of Conversion to Endotracheal Intubation: a Retrospective Review. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 81(5):AB308, 2015.
- Apfel CC, Philip BK, Cakmakkaya OS, Shilling A, Shi Y-Y, Leslie JB, Allard M, Turan A, Windle P, Odom-Forren J, Hooper VD, Radke OC, Ruiz J, Kovac A. Who is at risk for post discharge nausea and vomiting after ambulatory surgery?. Anesthesiology 117:475-486, 2012.
- Frenzel JC, Kee SS, Ensor JE, Riedel BJ, Ruiz JR. Ongoing provision of individual clinician performance data improves practice behavior. Anesth Analg 111(2):515-519, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20529985.
- Ruiz JR, Kee SS, Frenzel JC, Ensor JE, Selvan M, Riedel BJ, Apfel C. The effect of an anatomically classified procedure on antiemetic administration in the postanesthesia care unit. Anesth Analg 110(2):403-9, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19713254.
- Rebello E, Kowalski A, Kee S, Goravanchi F, Norman P, Ruiz J, Hernandez M, Rahlfs T. Implementing a mentoring program and faculty academic productivity at the American Society of Anesthesiologists' Annual Meeting. Anesthesia and Analgesia 123(3):97-98, 2016.
- Myers R, Ruiz JR, Jermaine CM, Frenzel JC. A Comparison of Mortality Predictors in Cancer Surgery Patients. World Congress of Anesthesiologists 2016 Annual Meeting, Hong Kong, 2016.
- Hagan K., Zavala A, Ruiz J. Dexmedetomidine Sedation for Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastric Tube Placement in the Patient with a Difficult Airway. American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Scientific Meeting in San Diego, CA, 2015.
- Von-Maszewski M, Botz G, Ruiz JR. Splenic Rupture after Screening Colonoscopy. American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Scientific Meeting in San Diego, CA, 2015.
- Myers R, Frenzel J, Ruiz JR, Jermaine C. Correlating Surgical Vital Sign Quality with 30-Day Outcomes using Regression on Time Series Segment Features. SIAM International Conference on Data Mining 2015, At Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2015.
- Rebello E, Ruiz JR, Norman P, Rahlfs TF. Speed Mentoring: A Mentee-Driven Initiative to Cultivate Ongoing Mentoring Relationships. Anesthesia & Analgesia Annual Meeting of the International-Anesthesia-Research-Society, Volume: 116, 2013.