Joshua P. Yung, Ph.D.
Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging
About Dr. Yung
Joshua P. Yung is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Imaging Physics at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in the section of magnetic resonance and ultrasound physics.
Dr. Yung completed his Ph.D. in Medical Physics at the University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences in Houston, Texas in 2014. His Ph.D. research focused on computational approaches for improving magnetic resonance temperature imaging for MR-guided thermal therapies. He currently practices medical physics with a focus on improving the magnetic resonance quality control program with automatic image processing and tracking longitudinal data trends.
His research interest continues to lie in the development and use of magnetic resonance imaging for monitoring and verification of ablative therapies. His research aims to further improve the robustness of treatment monitoring and the overall safety and efficacy in MR-guided interventional procedures, using both quantitative data acquisition and processing methods with model-constrained approaches.
Present Title & Affiliation
Assistant Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Image processing of MRI quality assurance tests | Model constrained approaches for MR guided interventional procedures | Diffusion/Perfusion Imaging
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) | Image-Guided Interventions | Image-Guided Therapy | Quality Assurance Testing for MRI and Ultrasound
Education & Training
|2014||The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX, USA, PHD, Medical Physics|
|2005||Duke University, Durham, NC, USA, BS, Biomedical/Electrical Engineering|
|2018||American Board of Radiology Diagnostic Medical Physics|
Experience & Service
Graduate Research Assistant, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2014
Imaging Research Technician, Department of Imaging Physics - Research, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2007
Honors & Awards
|2013||GSBS/MDACC Student Travel Award|
|2013||International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine Trainee Educational Stipend|
|2012||GSBS/MDACC Student Travel Award|
|2011||GSBS/MDACC Student Travel Award|
|2011||International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine Trainee Educational Stipend|
|2010||MDACC/German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) Graduate Student Exchange Fellowship|
- Fahrenholtz S, Guo C, MacLellan C, Yung JP, Hwang KP, Layman R, Stafford RJ, Cressman E. Temperature mapping of exothermic in situ chemistry: imaging of thermoembolization via MR. International Journal of Hyperthermia 36(1):730-738, 2019. PMID: 31362538.
- Yung JP, Fuentes D, MacLellan CJ, Maier F, Liapis Y, Hazle JD, Stafford RJ. Referenceless Magnetic Resonance Temperature Imaging using Gaussian Process Modeling. Medical Physics 44(7):3545-3555, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28317125.
- Fuentes D, Yung JP, Hazle JD, Weinberg JS, Stafford RJ. Kalman filtered MR temperature imaging for laser induced thermal therapies. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 31(4):984-94, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22203706.
- Maier F, Krafft AJ, Yung JP, Stafford RJ, Elliott A, Dillmann R, Semmler W, Bock M. Velocity navigator for motion compensated thermometry. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine 25(1):15-22, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21373916.
- Fuentes D, Cardan R, Stafford RJ, Yung JP, Dodd GD, Feng Y. High-fidelity computer models for prospective treatment planning of radiofrequency ablation with in vitro experimental correlation. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 21(11):1725-32, 2010. PMID: 20920840.
- Yung JP, Shetty A, Elliott A, Weinberg JS, McNichols RJ, Gowda A, Hazle JD, Stafford RJ. Quantitative comparison of thermal dose models in normal canine brain. Medical Physics 37(10):5313-21, 2010. PMID: 21089766.