Meet Josiah Halm, M.D.
Associate Professor, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2003||Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA, MS, Clinical Epidemiology|
|1996||University of Ghana Medical School, Accra, GHA, MB.chB, Medicine|
|2001-2003||Primary Care Research & Faculty Development, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI|
|1998-2001||Residency, Internal Medicine, Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL|
|1996-1997||Housemanship, Internal Medicine & Ob/Gyn, Korle-bu Teaching Hospital, Accra|
|2013||The American Board of Medical Quality|
|2001||Diplomat, American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM)|
Assistant Professor, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2014
Clinical Medical Director, Clinical Decision Unit (CDU), The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2015
Section Chief, Department of General Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Director of Hospitalist Program, Aurora Sinai Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI, 2005 - 2008
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Volunteer Clinical Faculty, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2016
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Africa Committee, 2016 - Present
Member, Institutional Patient Safety Committee, 2015 - Present
Alternate Member, Accreditation Alternatives Committee, 2014 - 2014
Member, Clinical Effectiveness Committee, Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) Treatment Algorithm Subcommittee, 2013 - Present
Member, Clinical Effectiveness Committee, Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) Prophylaxis Algorithm and Order Set Committee, 2013 - Present
Alternate Member for Department Chair, Acute and Critical Care Services Subcommittee, 2013 - 2015
Member, Quality Improvement Assessment Board (QIAB), 2011 - Present
Member, Ongoing Professional Practice Evaluation/Focus Professional Practice Evaluation (OPPE/FPPE) Quality Officers, 2010 - Present
Member, Division of Internal Medicine Quality Council, 2009 - Present
|2019||Board Member, American Board of Medical Quality|
|2014||Clinical Leader of the Year Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Division of Internal Medicine, November|
- Joanna-Grace Manzano, Anne Park, Heather Lin, Suyu Liu, Josiah Halm. Demonstrating Value: Association of Cost and Quality Outcomes With Implementation of a Value-Driven Oncology-Hospitalist Inpatient Collaboration for Patients With Lung Cancer. BMJ Open Quality 8:e000381.doi:10 1136/bmjoq, 2019.
- Manzano, F, Halm, J, et al. Readmission Among Patient With Cancer Who Were Discharges With Hospice Care. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 25 (suppl 8S, abstract 46), 2017.
- 2014 ASCO Quality Care Symposium. Utilizing TQM and CQI Principles in Establishing a Type1 Observation Unit in a Comprehensive Cancer Center Boston, MA, 2014.
- Halm J, Amoako EP. Physical Activity Recommendation for Hypertension Management: Does Healthcare Provider Advice Make a Difference?. Ethnicity and Disease (International Society of Hypertension in Blacks, 2008.
- Jordan J, Halm J, et al. Benefits of Initiating a Hospitalist PICC Program - Experience from an Academic Community Medical Center. Journal of Hospital Medicine 3(1):62, 2008.
- Reiss M, Halm J. Lead Poisoning in an Adult: Lead Mobilization by Pregnancy?. JGIM(22):1212-1215, 2007.
- Halm J. Using electronic medical records to help improve control of hypertension: Secondary database analysis of blood pressure in a large healthcare system in Wisconsin. JCH 8:A215, 2006.
- Halm J, Schapira M, Grimm C et al. Do physicians' recommend exercise in adults with hypertension and do patients follow their advice? Ethnicity & Disease 14:S2-58, 2004.
- Halm J, Scheidermayer D, Sebastian J et al. The times…they are achanging: Survey of winners of best teacher award in a department of medicine. JGIM(18):243, 2003.
- Manzano, F, Halm, J, et al. Evaluating the Impact of Oncology-Hospitalist Model of Inpatient Care on Unplanned 30-Day Readmissions Among Patients with Lung Cancer. 2017 NCCN 22nd Annual Conference, Orlando, FL.
- C. P. Escalante; A. Zalpour; J Song; M. Richardson; J. Halm; S. W. Yusuf; S, Gao. Adverse Events of Rivaroxaban Usage in Cancer Patients. Internal Conference on Thrombosis & Hemostasis, Bergamo, Italy.
- CP Escalante, MD, A Zalpour, PharmD, J Song, PhD, M Richardson, MSW, T Lam, PhD, J Halm, MD, SW Yusuf, MD, S Gao, MD. Practice Patterns and Outcomes of Rivaroxaban Usage in Cancer Patients. ASCO 2016 Conference.
|Title:||Double Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter Acute Study of Clinical Effectiveness of Nesiritide in Subjects With Decompensated Heart Failure [ASCEND-HF]|
|Funding Source:||Aurora Sinai Medical Center|
|Title:||The TEXAS Project: Transitions Explored and Studied: Leveraging Data to Prevent Readmissions in the TMC|
|Funding Source:||TMC Health Policy Institute Review Committee|
|Title:||Derivation and Validation of a Readmission Risk Scoring System in Cancer Patients|
|Funding Source:||University of Texas Healthcare and Effectiveness Quality of Care Grants Program|